Port of Houston

I see April 2016 is the last listed sailing out of Houston. Is the Princess contract over at that port? Maybe they didn't make any money sailing out of there? Anyone know?

Yeah, I think they had a three year contract. Houston basically gave them money to use the port. But, as we've seen, it may have been more trouble than not, ergo the decision to not renew.

Yeah, I think they had a three year contract. Houston basically gave them money to use the port. But, as we've seen, it may have been more trouble than not, ergo the decision to not renew.

Yep, good for local business but if Princess doesn't make the money they thought they would, well then it's time to move on. Weather delays cost them big time...

We sailed once and only once on a troubled cruise out of Bayport and cheer this decision. Maybe this will give them an opportunity to try out a less logistically challenged port in one of the mid Atlantic states? Wishful thinking I know but still here's to hoping.

I will miss it. We sailed out of Houston 3 times and really enjoyed that port. Oh well.

We will miss it more than you will.

We live only 8.5 miles from the port.

Of the three cruises we have taken with Princess there, all three left on time and only one of the three had a delayed arrival back and it was less than two hours.

I agree...we sailed on 3 cruises from Houston and they were all good.....have one scheduled for November ,2015...not crazy about the western Caribbean ports but very convenient to drive down for a cruise.....guess in 2016 we will be back to FLL b/c we will definitely not do NCL or Carnival ....maybe Royal but I doubt it...

eclue:rolleyes:

I always had a hard time justifying cruising out of Houston because flying into Houston from SFO always costs more than for longer flights into MIA or FLL. Then add the long drive to the port from the airport.

Any idea if Princess will be using another new port anytime in the future?

We will miss it more than you will.

We live only 8.5 miles from the port.

I totally get this, and I think it's great if one can drive there.

I did two cruises on Emerald. For several days prior to the end

of the first cruise, the captain was making announcements about

doom and gloom of fog. The ship sped up, and arrived about

2 hours early. This was good, as by 0700, you couldn't see the

terminal building from the ship.

On the second cruise, I woke up, and the ship was simply stopped

at the pilot station. We arrived around 10:30, and started disembarking

around 11:00. Of course, everyone was ready and anxious to get off,

but not everyone can go first. The were people who came out of

the terminal building at 1330.

So, fine if you drive. If you fly, you need to plan for a late arrival.

Then, you are either happy you did, or stuck waiting around the airport

all day.

The ports were roatan, belize and cozumel.

From Ft. Lauderdale, one can easily cruise to Cozumel;

and I find Grand Turk and Grand Cayman fine replacements

for the other two.

On the other hand, the cruise cost practically nothing, after

shipboard credit at time of booking.

That is probably the real reason princess is leaving.

I for one am glad this port will be cancelled.

We took a cruise from there in March of 2015, we were at muster drill when the captain came over the loud speaker to say that a barge had run into another ship in the channel because of fog! We were stuck in Houston for four days, before the oil spill was contained. We were all given the option to leave the ship,any many did. We stayed on and had a three day cruise to Cozumel. It wasn't all that bad, as all who stayed aboard, and anyone who left received a full refund!

We love going out of Houston. Going out of Galveston would be good too. It is so nice to have a Princess ship in the Texas area.

Charles and Connie

We agree, of the four lines cruising out of Texas, Princess is our favorite. I hear Disney is coming back, but since we don't have young children it isn't worth the premium for us. I would have preferred one of the other lines to leave.:(

From Southern California, Houston is an easy and inexpensive flight - much better than any of the points East. I will miss it after only 1 cruise to date from Houston. The only difficult thing was the hour-long taxi ride from the airport.

Sorry to hear that this port might disappear from the Princess radar. We are glad that we did sail out of Houston this year and had a great voyage. The only delay out of port occurred when they had to transfer a medical issue off the ship to the Coast Guard while going through the channel.

The channel passage is one of the most interesting ones we have had. Passing a stone's throw away from passing ships is quite a sight.

It will be interesting to see if Princess tries for Galveston or maybe New Orleans as a mid-Gulf port.

There is a direct flight to Vancouver BC from that port.:)

FLL has never had one .Flew to FLL once changing planes took me all day never again until the day we get a direct flight I am longing to see all the Caribbean but just cannot hack the journey by flight to FLL.:(

Will really really miss Princess!! Have come to love their ships and cruises. 5 times out of Houston with another booked. We will switch over to NCL for local cruises - too convenient not to cruise local. The ship channel is such a fun trip too with lots of ships passing and dolphins. :) :)