Your input for Dunedin?

We will be on a X Solistice arriving in Port Chalmers (Dunedin) NZ on Dec. 10, 2015. After researching online we've narrow down 2 possible tours and looking for your input/comments to help us decide.

a. Taieri Gorge Railroad to Pukerangi

our ship will be the only one in port so there is an opportunity to book this 4 hours train ride independently at this time. What's pro/con to book this trip with a local tour operator vs. direct with train co.(train co. also have shuttle to station)? prices are about the same. The other alternative is to book a ship tour which gives more flexibility but cost is almost doubled pp. I also need to double check if it's a 4 hours or 6 hours train.

b.Wild lives - Royal Abatross and Penguins. Most of tours that I can find lasts 6 - 7 hours. As I understand there will be many tour operators in port. Will we be able to find a morning tour that last 4-5 hours only? Or most tours are afternoon due to the opening hours?

Lastly, which tour would give us more appreciations of New Zealand on our first trip. Other port stops are - Akaroa, Wellington, Tauranga, Bay of Islands and Auckland. Thanks

If you book the Taieri Gorge directly with X then you step directly off the ship and walk about 100m to the train. The same when you return. If you book via the train company it is cheaper but you have to arrange your own way to downtown Dunedin (about 20 minutes away) and back again. Also on the tour you get your meal included as well as the company of some people that are on the same ship (who you may already know). Yes it is more expensive but it makes it very easy.

Both options are good, it really depends on whether you like scenery or wildlife. ;)

The Taieri Gorge train trip is spectacular. The Pukerangi trip is only four hours. I did it in the morning (9:30 departure I think) and was back in Dunedin for a late lunch. You can book direct with them here. http://www.taieri.co.nz/

Most of the tours that do the albatross sanctuary and the penguins probably include a city highlights tour as well. Again I've done both and they are very interesting places to visit. We visited them privately (we were touring the South Island by car at the time) and spent a good 5 hours or more at the two places. I think you'd be pushing it trying to see them both in 4 hours.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

The one thing we noted by doing the Taieri Gorge Railway through the ship was that we were not overcrowded and we had wonderful local volunteers giving us commentary along the way.

We got off our ship and made a short walk across to the train, hopped on board and the train then took us to Dunedin station, where we paused momentarily right next to the other Taieri Gorge Train - it was packed to the gunnels. We on the other hand had seats to spare, could easily move around and on the return journey everyone swapped seats so we could look out in the other direction.

When we returned we stopped again for about 10-15 minutes at Dunedin station so everyone could get out and have a look around, stay in Dunedin if they wanted and the train returned to Port Chalmers with the remainder of us (we had been in Dunedin before on a land tour) where we disembarked and took a short walk back to the ship.

On the other hand it was considerably more expensive than doing it on your own, so if you are watching your pennies you can easily catch a taxi or shuttle to Dunedin, hop on the train and still do the same journey. Just not quite as comfortably as we did.

The one thing we noted by doing the Taieri Gorge Railway through the ship was that we were not overcrowded and we had wonderful local volunteers giving us commentary along the way.

We got off our ship and made a short walk across to the train, hopped on board and the train then took us to Dunedin station, where we paused momentarily right next to the other Taieri Gorge Train - it was packed to the gunnels. We on the other hand had seats to spare, could easily move around and on the return journey everyone swapped seats so we could look out in the other direction.

It may very much depend on the day of the week and the time of year. I did the trip in March on a Saturday and it wasn't crowded at all. However there wasn't a cruise ship in port that day.

We enjoyed the Taieri Gorge train trip through Princess. We got a box lunch and also wine - unlimited. After the volunteer topped up our glasses a couple of times, he just left the bottle with us. :) Our carriage wasn't even half full. The privately-booked train was beside us at one of the sidings and it looked to be fairly full.

On another visit to Dunedin we hired a car and toured privately. We saw some wildlife, but I think you would see more on a tour.

We did the train trip & it was good but too long with nothing to see at the end really bar some locals with a market stall & the return journey is obviously just a repeat of the first half so a bit dull.

The first part of the journey is just farmlands & we live in rural Australia so for us it was just like home, then some of the gorges & bridges were nice but we are not train buffs in it just for the ride, so although glad we did it, we wouldn't do it again.

What struck me was the total lack of large wildlife as NZ has no native large mammals to see, only imported cattle, sheep, deer etc, whereas on train trips we have done in Alaska etc there is always the excitement of spotting a bear or moose which adds to the experience.

Both my hubby & I rate it 6/10.

In Wellington go to the Te Papa museum for a mostly free & interesting display all about NZ, history, Maori culture, geography, wildlife etc.

Also the cable car up the mountain side to the botanic gardens is fun & gives a good view over Wellington.

In Tauranga, don't miss the Rotorua day trip to see the thermal activity - geysers, mud pools etc. We used Archers tours - great small company & well priced.

From Auckland we did the Hobbiton Village tour - if you are a Lord Of The Rings fan it's a must do & still very interesting if not, as long as you have seen the movies.

Edited by avalon007

We have done the Taerie trip by booking direct with the railways and we were not overcrowded. The railways supply a shuttle bus at a small cost from the ship to the station. The train returns to Dunedin at about 2-30 pm and for a total of about $30 for the shuttle bus they will take you to the train in Dunedin and drop you off at the bottom of the gangplank at about 4-30after taking you on a city tour when you return to Dunedin on the train

If you have kids wanting to go on the ship's train tour you will have to pay more than half the adult fare of $200 plus

If you book direct with the railways the kids travel free

There is another train trip leaving Dunedin at 0930 that follows the coast north to Palmeston and gets back to Dunedin at about 1-30. You have to book with the railways for this train

We found the info tent on the wharf at Pt Chalmers very helpful. The volunteers organise the railway shuttle bus for you as well as organising other tours as well

With independent operators

A really nice gesture are the pipers and drummers fare welling the ship as it casts off. Dunedin is our favourite port of call in NZ

At Akaroa we did the postman's tour to the isolated bays, villages and fishermen's camps out from Akaroa. The tour limit is about 8 passengers in his small mail bus. You cannot book this tour with the ship but have to book through the Akaroa Adventure Centre. Google it and it will come up on the Internet

It was a very unique tour delivering the mail to the farms and villages with a very nice morning tea thrown in home cooked by the mail mans wife

I am sure you will have a marvellous cruise of NZ

John

There are quite a few tour agencies in the marquee on Port Chalmers wharf, offering a selection of tours. As mentioned, you can book directly with the Taieri Gorge railway company including a shuttle from the ship and a tour of Dunedin. This doesn't include the packed lunch offered on the ship's tour, but its significantly cheaper.

The Hobbiton tour is also offered from Tauranga and its a much shorter coach ride from there.

In Wellington, the TePapa museum is fantastic and provides a wonderful insight of New Zealand history. The cable car to the botanical gardens is also well worth considering, especially on a fine day, with great view over the city.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences & comments as well as info on other ports as well. Your input have helped us to decide what to do.

For others who may be interested in the train trip. As of now Taieri gorge train to Pukeragi is the only one available to reserve independently for Dec. 10. All others are shown 'not available' - probably blocked by Celebrity.

Happy Cruising!

There are quite a few tour agencies in the marquee on Port Chalmers wharf, offering a selection of tours. As mentioned, you can book directly with the Taieri Gorge railway company including a shuttle from the ship and a tour of Dunedin. This doesn't include the packed lunch offered on the ship's tour, but its significantly cheaper.

The Hobbiton tour is also offered from Tauranga and its a much shorter coach ride from there.

In Wellington, the TePapa museum is fantastic and provides a wonderful insight of New Zealand history. The cable car to the botanical gardens is also well worth considering, especially on a fine day, with great view over the city.

The Botanical gardens and Te Papa are wonderful attractions for Wellington, well worth seeing.:D

Just done a booking for my wife and granddaughter on Diamond Princess on Jan 23, Syd-NZ-Syd. As usual the NZ shorex prices are very pricey. I think at Port Chalmers Princess run a shuttle into Dunedin?

Just done a booking for my wife and granddaughter on Diamond Princess on Jan 23, Syd-NZ-Syd. As usual the NZ shorex prices are very pricey. I think at Port Chalmers Princess run a shuttle into Dunedin?

I believe the shuttle is run by the local bus company. Pay your fare when you board the bus.

Lastly, which tour would give us more appreciations of New Zealand on our first trip. Other port stops are - Akaroa, Wellington, Tauranga, Bay of Islands and Auckland. Thanks

Kia ora,

They all manifest aspects of what makes up AotearoaNZ with each place making its contribution. Eg. Akaroa for its French connection and rural life, Wellington for its hills, wind and colonial architecture and being the capital, Tauranga for its ease of access to Rotorua with its extensive geo-thermal areas, the unique in the world living Maori culture, lakes, forests etc., Bay of Islands for its setting and history (Eg. the country's first capital), Auckland with its harbour and being the largest city and Dunedin for its Scottish influence and being the gateway to the rural hinterland of Otago.

Having been born & grown up in Auckland & having lived in all the above places except Akaroa my comment would be that they are all different both scenically, culturally and weather/temperature wise with tours in each place correspondingly being quite diverse. Eg. It was both climate and culture shock for us when, midsummer, we left Banana palms growing in our garden and arrived in Otago (Dunedin() to have snow on the hills!

Aquarians

We will be on a X Solistice arriving in Port Chalmers (Dunedin) NZ on Dec. 10, 2015. After researching online we've narrow down 2 possible tours and looking for your input/comments to help us decide.

a. Taieri Gorge Railroad to Pukerangi

our ship will be the only one in port so there is an opportunity to book this 4 hours train ride independently at this time. What's pro/con to book this trip with a local tour operator vs. direct with train co.(train co. also have shuttle to station)? prices are about the same. The other alternative is to book a ship tour which gives more flexibility but cost is almost doubled pp. I also need to double check if it's a 4 hours or 6 hours train.

b.Wild lives - Royal Abatross and Penguins. Most of tours that I can find lasts 6 - 7 hours. As I understand there will be many tour operators in port. Will we be able to find a morning tour that last 4-5 hours only? Or most tours are afternoon due to the opening hours?

Hi

In Dunedin we booked the train trip and city tour through Good Company. They picked us up from the ship and took us in plenty of time to catch the train. We didn't have to worry about booking train tickets or needing to pick them up as they did that all for you. The train trip was wonderful and well worth doing. At the end of the train trip they meet you to take you on a 2 hour city tour which was also great .They then return you back to the ship in plenty of time.I highly recommend them not only because they are so much cheaper than booking through the ship but they also offer wonderful customer service.We have used them twice before and have booked a tour with them again for our January cruise.

In Akaroa the dolphin swim cruises are great and so is the mailrun. Wellington and Auckland are great towns to go around on foot or take a hop on hop off bus. The cable car in Wellington is also great.

Cheers Trish

http://www.goodcompanytours.co.nz/shore-excursions-dunedin

Edited by Jasp 0401

We're doing the 4 hour Lanarch Castle and city tour in November.

Larnach Castle is gorgeous. I remember my Dad taking me there numerous times as a child when we lived in Dunedin. That was well before it was completely restored. I got the impression my Dad wished he could have bought it and restored it - he was a master builder so capable of doing the work but didn't have the capital.

You get wonderful views from up on the turret and also from the gardens.

Larnach Castle is gorgeous. I remember my Dad taking me there numerous times as a child when we lived in Dunedin. That was well before it was completely restored. I got the impression my Dad wished he could have bought it and restored it - he was a master builder so capable of doing the work but didn't have the capital.

You get wonderful views from up on the turret and also from the gardens.

I was also taken there as a child . I can remember chasing sheep out of the ballroom and stalking ghosts up and down the staircase. :D

After the Larnach family lost their fortune the Govt. took it over and used it for a Hospital after the War , and then it was abandoned until the present owner bought it and embarked on the restoration programme.

I was also taken there as a child . I can remember chasing sheep out of the ballroom and stalking ghosts up and down the staircase. :D

After the Larnach family lost their fortune the Govt. took it over and used it for a Hospital after the War , and then it was abandoned until the present owner bought it and embarked on the restoration programme.

They've done a wonderful job on the restoration. I hated the thought that it was abandoned for so long. I remember going there well after we left Dunedin but before it was bought and it was all boarded up and looked very sad.

Hi

In Dunedin we booked the train trip and city tour through Good Company. They picked us up from the ship and took us in plenty of time to catch the train. We didn't have to worry about booking train tickets or needing to pick them up as they did that all for you. The train trip was wonderful and well worth doing. At the end of the train trip they meet you to take you on a 2 hour city tour which was also great .They then return you back to the ship in plenty of time.I highly recommend them not only because they are so much cheaper than booking through the ship but they also offer wonderful customer service.We have used them twice before and have booked a tour with them again for our January cruise.

In Akaroa the dolphin swim cruises are great and so is the mailrun. Wellington and Auckland are great towns to go around on foot or take a hop on hop off bus. The cable car in Wellington is also great.

Cheers Trish

http://www.goodcompanytours.co.nz/shore-excursions-dunedin

Thanks for the info on tour company and Akaroa. It's really a good option as opposed to purchase train/bus trip separately.