Captain Kate joining the Summit 8/23/15!

Shamrock359

Yes, that info came straight from Captain Leo. He said she would be joining the Summit tomorrow, working together for 3 weeks, then taking over on 9-13-15 for 3 months while he is on vacation. He said that there are 2 captains per ship, but while one is out, the other is in charge. When he comes back, she will be gone for 3 months. Everyone on the Summit is very excited for her arrival!!

I hope he convinces her to go north on embarkation days. We applauded and thanked him for that today.

Review to follow next week after unwinding........

I had heard that they'd be sharing the Summit for a little while. We're embarking Sept 6 so we'll have them together for a week. Doesn't get any better than that!

I've heard great things about Capt Leo so I'm glad to have at least half of the cruise with him too. :D Our first time on Summit. So looking forward to it. Thankx for the update.

So if you are lucky enough to be invited to have dinner with the Captain in the next 3 weeks, I wonder what Captain will host the table.......Captain Leo or Captain Kate?

Does the actual captain normally show up at that? I've never been invited to dine with the captain but I thought in most cases it's the staff captain who shows up. Hopefully both will be at the senior officer's party.

Captain Kate came to the Cruise Critic party along with Captain Leo. She's really a very nice person. I had a photo to post but forgot that CC only allows a very small size attachment so I'll have to see if I can upload it somewhere else later in the week without burning too many of my free minutes. Worst case I will upload on Sunday when I return.

Edited by MisterBill99

Does the actual captain normally show up at that? I've never been invited to dine with the captain but I thought in most cases it's the staff captain who shows up. Hopefully both will be at the senior officer's party.

Captain definitely showed up at a couple of dinners we were invited to. It was a really enjoyable evening.

We sailed with rccl with capt. Kate was staff capt. Her husband was chief engineer. Any chance he'S also on board? They said that rccl let's the work out their schedules to sail together.
She told me that he was on Quantum. I forgot to ask her about future plans. Will try to at the senior officer party.

Here's the photo of her with my wife:

CaptainKate_zpsekaxttbr.jpg

Edited by MisterBill99

Very exciting news! It is my first time on Celebrity, heard nothing but great things about Captain Leo and the Summit.

Captain Leo is the very best Captain we have experienced on Celebrity. We enjoyed him and his staff on the Summit last September. Hope we get to see him again. :)

She told me that he was on Quantum. I forgot to ask her about future plans. Will try to at the senior officer party.

FYI, I asked Captain Kate about this and she said that he will not be transferring to Summit but will join her onboard during his vacation.

From an HR point of view, it could be difficult to have him working underneath her, since she is the boss of everyone on board. Are there any cases where a wife is employed on the same ship where her husband is the captain?

Edited by MisterBill99

FYI, I asked Captain Kate about this and she said that he will not be transferring to Summit but will join her onboard during his vacation.

From an HR point of view, it could be difficult to have him working underneath her, since she is the boss of everyone on board. Are there any cases where a wife is employed on the same ship where her husband is the captain?

Yes, this is true. We saw this on a R.C.C.L. ship, the

VOYAGER of the SEA. Her husband,was the Captain, and, she

was the Food & Beverage Manager. We saw her very often, working the

buffet areas. I remember once we were headed into Alaska, and, they

(the crew) knew of a Coast Guard inspection the next day checking for

violations in the F&B areas. We saw her really driving her people to

get that area in "tip/top shape" for the inspection.

Later, I inquired how the inspection went and, she said they passed "with flying colors".

Now, I can not remember the Captain of that ship at the time. Perhaps another reader will remember those two crewing...

but, to answer your question...yes it does occur. :)

Captain Leo is the very best Captain we have experienced on Celebrity. We enjoyed him and his staff on the Summit last September. Hope we get to see him again. :)

ImageUploadedByForums1441036059.339556.jpg.2bda033536196399ea09c2684fa890f6.jpg here's a pic of Captain Kate photobombing my pic with Capt Leo at CC party. They are both warm and friendly.

Cate is impressive (accomplishments and personality) and I think she will be great -- I think passengers will really respond to her. Leo is terrific too. Amazing both are so young (Leo is 38 and Cate is 37).

Cate is on board for these three weeks in civilian clothes for training. While she is working, she can't wear a uniform or give orders. She takes over in two weeks when Capt. Leo goes on vacation for 3 months. hen I think she and Capt. Leo will each rotate 3 months on/off. Not a bad life.

The Statue of Liberty tour send off is now officially part of the standard itinerary (past two months or so), and is a great way to start the cruise.