Snorkeling in Roatan

PolybiusSquare

I'm overwhelmed with the choices for snorkeling in Roatan. We'll be visiting there on the Norwegian Dawn in early February.

I'd like to be able to snorkel from the shore, if possible. I heard West Bay Beach was good for this, but the last time I was there, I was overwhelmed with annoying vendors. Are there quieter places, or private areas on West Bay Beach that I can snorkel from? Or other places around the island? And do they have lockers at West Bay Beach?

Thanks!

West Bay Beach is excellent snorkeling from the beach. I gone their with NCL ship excursion to Tabyana twice and twice with a West Bay Beach Break not with the ship that took me to Bananarama. Tabyana is more expensive with the ship, but the beach chairs are in an area where the vendors are kept out. Bananarama has a smaller beach area, and you might have to say no every once in a while to a vendor. But, "no" is pretty easy, or has been for me.

I think both have lockers you can rent. Tabyana is close to where the good snorkeling is located off the beach. If I am at Bananarama, I just walk down the beach to around that location to swim out to the reef.

West Bay Beach is one of my favorite excursions, because of the great snorkeling.

go to half moon bay!! west end village is a great much quieter kind of funky place and half moon bay has fantastic snorkelling. there are stairs down into the water and a short swim to a beautiful reef. when you're done head over to el boske for Peruvian ceviche. just about our favorite area to hang out in while in Roatan.

Go the Little French Key. Several packages to chose from. We did the 55$ tour and it included transportation to and from and entrance to the private island (NO VENDORS) we purchased drinks and food while there and both were good. There was also great snorkeling just off the beach if you wanted to do it yourself, which we did. They do have a guided tour for snorkeling also. There were 5 ships in port that day and the island was not crowded at all. We also felt like we were the only group there with all the personal service provided to us by Miguel. Ask for him, he is great.

We are going back in April and will be booking again. We will probly do the 88$ tour. Food and snorkel equipment along with kayaks and paddle boards come with this package. The food is very good.

The best snorkeling on the island is on the west end. Avoid Little French Key if you want good snorkeling. If you want to avoid vendors use the ship tour to Tabayana Beach, there are guards there that will watch your stuff and keep the vendors at bay.

The reef is between 50 - 75 feet off shore. Easy swim and it is in great shape. There is no need for a boat trip, it is all part of the same reef system.

The best snorkeling on the island is on the west end. Avoid Little French Key if you want good snorkeling. If you want to avoid vendors use the ship tour to Tabayana Beach, there are guards there that will watch your stuff and keep the vendors at bay.

The reef is between 50 - 75 feet off shore. Easy swim and it is in great shape. There is no need for a boat trip, it is all part of the same reef system.

Can you walk out to the Reef or swim only and does the tour provide equipment?

• 4 weeks later...

RCCL offers an excursion to Tabayana including lunch. It's a 6HR excursion. I suppose it means they just take you there. You get a voucher for lunch and your free to move around and snorkel whenever and as much as you want. At least, it's my assumption because it's not really clear and I don't find reviews of other people that did this excursion.

If you would do this on your own how would you do it? Is it possible to book transportation to this beach and just rent some snorkeling gear at the beach?

Or would you do it with a local touroperator (I have been looking into eco tours) but then you have a schedule and no free beach time and cannot snorkel on your own I suppose.

RCCL offers an excursion to Tabayana including lunch. It's a 6HR excursion. I suppose it means they just take you there. You get a voucher for lunch and your free to move around and snorkel whenever and as much as you want. At least, it's my assumption because it's not really clear and I don't find reviews of other people that did this excursion.

If you would do this on your own how would you do it? Is it possible to book transportation to this beach and just rent some snorkeling gear at the beach?

Or would you do it with a local touroperator (I have been looking into eco tours) but then you have a schedule and no free beach time and cannot snorkel on your own I suppose.

Any info re doing this privately would be appreciated.

Tabyana is part of West Bay Beach, it is a day pass only area which from what I understand has to be booked though the ship.

The easy access boat free reef snorkeling is out from the Tabyana part of West Bay Beach between Infinity's L shaped pier and the wall.

There are plenty of other places on the beach which offer day passes, Bananarama has a competitive price with transport included. If you want a pool have a look at Mayan Princess. West Bay is not so large one can not walk down the beach to snorkle. This thread has heaps on info about snorkeling West Bay with maps.

Renting snorkle gear is not a worry though I would not use someone else's tooth brush you can bet I would not use a public snorkle in a third world country. :0)

Any info re doing this privately would be appreciated.

Google West Bay Beach Break

That's what I use when I don't use the ships excursion to Tabayana. You don't stay at Tabayana with the beach break, but I take a quick walk down the same beach to snorkel in front of Tabayana.

For 46 bucks, I give up a buffet bbq type lunch and water/tea, and a shorter walk to the place I snorkel. I still have to pay for the beer at both places.

Google West Bay Beach Break

That's what I use when I don't use the ships excursion to Tabayana. You don't stay at Tabayana with the beach break, but I take a quick walk down the same beach to snorkel in front of Tabayana.

For 46 bucks, I give up a buffet bbq type lunch and water/tea, and a shorter walk to the place I snorkel. I still have to pay for the beer at both places.

This is what I get when I google "West Bay Beach Break" -> http://roatancruiseexcursions.com/roatanwestbaybeachbreak.html

The pics look like Bananarama. Did you go to Bananarama? What was offered for your $46?

• 2 weeks later...
This is what I get when I google "West Bay Beach Break" -> http://roatancruiseexcursions.com/roatanwestbaybeachbreak.html

The pics look like Bananarama. Did you go to Bananarama? What was offered for your $46?

I see a price of $33 Per person...

I suppose they take you to bananarama, at least based on the reviews on tripadvisor.

From what I see on their website you get transportation, beach chair and welcome drink. No rental of snorkeling gear.

If you book with bananarama the price is $35 and you get additional snorkeling gear. Only I don't manage to book directly with bananarama.

Anybody who could tell me how to book directly with them?

I see a price of $33 Per person...

I suppose they take you to bananarama, at least based on the reviews on tripadvisor.

From what I see on their website you get transportation, beach chair and welcome drink. No rental of snorkeling gear.

If you book with bananarama the price is $35 and you get additional snorkeling gear. Only I don't manage to book directly with bananarama.

Anybody who could tell me how to book directly with them?

"Contact us" should do the trick

If you have happen to be in the US they have a US number as well.

http://bananarama.com/contact-us/

Just back from Bananarama. Was on Vision of the Seas February 6 - 13th. Did not make reservations. Just went outside gate and they are there waiting. We did the $35 trip, transport, drinks, beach chair and snorkel gear. Well worth it. If you want to go on your own, the cab was about $15 per person round trip. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Just back from Bananarama. Was on Vision of the Seas February 6 - 13th. Did not make reservations. Just went outside gate and they are there waiting. We did the $35 trip, transport, drinks, beach chair and snorkel gear. Well worth it. If you want to go on your own, the cab was about $15 per person round trip. Any questions, feel free to ask.

That is wonderful information.. I wonder if someone from Bananarama is always waiting at the port or if they were waiting on passengers who had booked through the internet and you just got lucky. Either way.. good deal!

• 2 weeks later...

Carnival offers a private cabana with limited outsider access. It says you take the Magical Flying Beach Chairs to get there, and all it says is Mahogany Bay. Is this the same area of the snorkeling from the beach? That is what I am looking for. Thanks

Carnival offers a private cabana with limited outsider access. It says you take the Magical Flying Beach Chairs to get there, and all it says is Mahogany Bay. Is this the same area of the snorkeling from the beach? That is what I am looking for. Thanks

Mahogany Bay is a Carnival Cruise complex that also has a beach. It is not the same beach that Bananarama is located on. Bananarama and Tabyana (which is a cruise ship area) are both on West Bay Beach. West Bay Beach is it healthy 45 minutes from Mahogany Bay.

If you seek easy beach access to reef snorkeling West Bay is the place to be Tabyana is an excursion the cruise ships offer to West Bay Beach.

Edited by Guest 2000

If you are sailing Carnival or Princess you dock at the private beach, Mahogany Bay. While you can purchase an excursion that gets you rides on the flying beach chairs (basically a ski lift) and a cabana or clamshell loungers, you can save the money and walk the paved trail to the beach instead. If you just need a lounge chair we've always found plenty available for free. The cabanas are near the end of the beach and are private but people will be walking in front of you on the beach.

There is some snorkeling at Mahogany Bay at the end of the pier. There are a couple ladders extending into the water. The snorkeling is okay and if we're short on time because we've been out and about I snorkel here. But if you really want great snorkeling you need to go to the west end. Near Tabyana is where you will find great snorkeling from the shore. You can swim out to the reef but if you want to get back behind the reef - where the fish are abundant and waters clear - it can be tricky. You can get there on your own but an easier way is to pay one of the guys in kayaks that are hanging out there. You can either hold onto their kayak or a rope and they will take you out behind the reef. These guys work for tips, no set price, so it's up to you how much you want to pay. (Be sure you ask beforehand, just in case things have changed in the last couple weeks.) The fish are so used to kayakers giving out food the fish will form schools around you as you are towed through the water.

Whether you stay at Mahogany Bay or go to the west end you either need to bring your own gear or rent some at those locations.

Edited by idahospud

What can you feed the fish? where can you buy food to feed the fish? Were coming in on Carnival Splendor in April and have Victor bodden tours taking us to Tabyana beach by way of their monkey business tour to see the monkeys. I just read someone post in here that says only access to Tabyana beach end is only if you book through the cruise ship??? Is this right? We booked directly through Victor Bodden for a driver for the day and were having him take us to see the monkeys then on to Tabyana beach. Cant we just pay for the Tabyana beach access when we arrive at the beach? I want Tabyana end because I want to snorkel at the reef there.

What can you feed the fish? where can you buy food to feed the fish? Were coming in on Carnival Splendor in April and have Victor bodden tours taking us to Tabyana beach by way of their monkey business tour to see the monkeys. I just read someone post in here that says only access to Tabyana beach end is only if you book through the cruise ship??? Is this right? We booked directly through Victor Bodden for a driver for the day and were having him take us to see the monkeys then on to Tabyana beach. Cant we just pay for the Tabyana beach access when we arrive at the beach? I want Tabyana end because I want to snorkel at the reef there.

Tabyana is a section of West Bay Beach, it is a day pass AI sorta thing. I have attempted many times to find out if independent people can buy a pass with zero luck, I would be very interested to know where Bodden takes you.

Right with that said, you can pay for a day pass at any one of a number of resorts on West Bay if you need facilities, if not the beach and water are free. This thread has heaps of info about snorkeling West Bay with maps and pics.

Fish, like all wild things, should be eats what is available not anything man man or not of the sea. Yes, I know the locals are feeding them, doesn't mean everyone and their uncles brother should be. Apologies, my personal opinion.