Food allergies and good dining options aboard

Lr1113

I have read very helpful threads about cruising with food allergies, and most have addressed the safety concerns. What about the flip side to food issues....cruise lines can be very knowledgeable about what is safe/not safe, but good tasty options are another concern. My daughter can't have milk, and I don't want jello to be her only "sweets" option aboard. Has anyone has good experiences with the cruise line providing yummy alternatives?

I have read very helpful threads about cruising with food allergies, and most have addressed the safety concerns. What about the flip side to food issues....cruise lines can be very knowledgeable about what is safe/not safe, but good tasty options are another concern. My daughter can't have milk, and I don't want jello to be her only "sweets" option aboard. Has anyone has good experiences with the cruise line providing yummy alternatives?

Choose Oceania when food quality, choice, safety and custom items are paramount.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let the Maitre'd in the dining room and your waiter know about your daughter. They will make sure whatever she wants to eat will not have milk or even dairy. I assume anything in a cream sauce will have milk. I have often seen the dining room hostess come with the next nights menu for people with allergies to chose their next night's dinner.

There is also a Maitre'd in the buffet who may be the assistant Maitre'd. You can ask for his help in food there. In the buffet you can always get that is in the carving station which is just meat. I make a sandwich out of some meats with French bread which they always seem to have. Just don't get anything in a cream sauce there either.

I'm curious what you make her for sweet alternatives. :) Im sure the chefs on the ships, can come up with something. Wha tdo you know to be safe for her?

Can she have choclatedcipped strawberries?

What desserts do you serve her?

We have cruised on Disney and they were wonderful about making her chocolate desserts that didn't contain milk (fresh fruit just wouldn't cut it for her unfortunately). I know Disney has good alternatives, but they are so expensive and I was wondering if any of the other cruise lines also would have tasty options.

There are many desserts that contain no lactose.

When talking with the Hostess/Waiter be specific about what kind of milk she cannot have. Friends are intolerant to liquid/loose dairy (soups, puddings, fillings etc) but can have it in baked goods.

Onshore we bring off some commercially prepackaged snacks. In places where we do not know the language we use an allergy card.

Edited by SadieN

I've just returned from a long P&O cruise, and any allergies are dealt with by the maitre showing the next day's menu, and making arrangements.

There's a whole section of the buffet which has gluten free/diabetic/vegetarian/vegan food, and an area with various milk substitutes.

I've just returned from a long P&O cruise, and any allergies are dealt with by the maitre showing the next day's menu, and making arrangements.

There's a whole section of the buffet which has gluten free/diabetic/vegetarian/vegan food, and an area with various milk substitutes.

When youumake the request on her behalf, I would suggest mentioningsosme of the things you make for her at home that she likes and are safe for her to eat. thagt wouuld go a lon way in makingg c lear jus what you wantftr for her. Suerrely if you are worried a bout desserts for her while on vacaiton, you must beserving her something at home?

• 2 weeks later...
This is a concern I have for. Y hubby. He has a food intolerance(similar to an allergy without having hives and airways close) to celery. And trust us, we know how well used celery is!

My DH also has food 'sensitivities', 11 of them to be exact with onions being the most severe. On our last cruise this February, he informed the waiter the first night he couldn't have anything with onions or onion powder. The waiter checked w/ the chef and they specially prepared his food. They then had him pre-order his apps and mains for the next day every night, so it could be specially prepared for him. They were able to make every single dish he requested with no onions or onion powder, and that is in everything! Dealing with his food sensitivities was actually easier on the cruise ship than it has been going to restaurants on land.

To OP--I'm sure if you tell the staff your daughter cannot have dairy, they will be able to offer multiple alternatives. In fact, most desserts that I can think of (with the exception of frosting or ice cream) should be okay. Fruit pies, cake w/ no frosting, cookies, fruit cobblers, etc.