Another RCI loyalist cruises MSC , we loved it and will be back

Years ago friends of ours put us off trying MSC as they said you had to pay for water and coffee in the dining room, what?!?. How strange we thought. The pricing had always been reasonable and we had seen the ships in port but we still hummed and harred whether or not to try them.

Fast forward a few years and the introduction of the Status Match programme gave us a push to investigate for ourselves.

There had been a promotion 'book an inside and receive a balcony' and we managed to get the same accessible cabin for a B2B out of Barcelona starting 17th Feb until 3rd March , balcony cabin 9191 with Bella experience, the lowest category. MSC sell cruises like airlines sell seats with the option to book cabins with different experiences.

Our cruise docs said check in was 3pm so left the hotel as late as possible and arrived at the port at 1pm, handed luggage over to the porters , through security and arrived at the check in desk with the only other couple in the whole place checking in !! A quick look at passports , paperwork checked and stamped 'okay' and we were heading off to the ship. At the entrance to the ship a Guest services officer scanned the paperwork and security photo done by a hand held gadget. This was the fastest check in ever, much better than the Harmony or Quantum so called Smart check in.

We decided to see if the cabin was ready. As the ship did inter porting and guests had already joined the cruise at earlier ports the hallways were not closed. The cabins that had been vacated had cards hung on the handles to say cleaning was in progress but there wasn't one on ours so headed in. The first of the Status Match perks were in the cabin, bottle of Prosecco, chocolate covered cherries and apple slices and bowl of fruit, very nice. The cruise cards were on the bed with the Daily planner. I had expected some sort of letter outlining the Black card perks but there was nothing.

The cabin was huge but storage was very limited. We liked that there was liquid hand soap at the sink and separate shampoo AND body wash in dispensers in the shower. All nice smelling.

The bed was high , no struggling putting the cases under the bed and there was a label on the pillows to say one was soft and one was firm but a pillow menu was available if neither suited. Another wow moment.

The safe in the wardrobe had a narrow shelf in it, this was a really good idea, can separate the small stuff and it was big enough to put my IPad Air on the bottom.

The ship was spotless through out and our balcony was cleaned 4 times in the 14 nights and the paintwork was touched up too. There was a fridge in the cabin that really was cold and if you were on the highest drinks package the drinks inside, including alcoholic ones , were included in your package.RCI do not include the mini bar in their drinks packages. There was an ice bucket on the dresser but we never enquired about having any.

Dining -

We ate all breakfast and lunches in the buffet and evening meals in the MDR , first sitting at 6.30pm. Luckily we got a table for two , same table for the two cruises and had a wonderful team with Abdul and Sam.

As a Black card member one benefit was a free meal in a speciality restaurant for 2 . Unfortunately Splendida has only one restaurant , Santa Fe Tex Mex, we went one night and it was the worst meal ever on any cruise ship. Apparently the perk used to be A la Carte choice but now it was a small abbreviated menu. The quesadillas were like the breaded pancakes you get from Findus frozen foods, I was expecting something like you get in Park cafe at lunch on RCI ,love those.

I had the steak and it was awful, no taste . The only good thing about the meal was the

coconut margarita I purchased. We never went back again .

Entertainment- due to the multiple nationalities onboard entertainment in the theatre is all musical / visual. We went to all shows and only disliked the tribute to Italian music , thought it very amateurish. All the other shows had fantastic costumes and contained gymnasts/contortionists though there are only so many times you can show appreciation for a man holding another man up in the air on his head by one hand. We watched all shows twice excepting the Tribute to Italia. There isn't a live orchestra in the theatre but every single bar had live music/singing even the coffee shop had a duo who were wasted in that venue. My favourite bar was La Prua,hubby like the piano music in L'Enoteca.

There is no bar service in the theatre, in fact in the Daily planner in small print it says food and drinks are not permitted though we did see people take drinks in. There was no enforcement at the entry to the theatre, unlike the glass situation in the MDR and Gala party , see later on in review.

Drinks packages- MSC have a full range of packages and we decided to go with the pre purchased voucher ones. We bought the coffee cuddle , 15 coffees at £18. OMG, big mistake, the reason I put weight on, lol. They have the l'Expresso bar in the Centrum where we went after dinner and had frozen coffees as our dessert. At 4.90 Euros each after the first 4 the rest were free, excellent value.

We purchased the consume anywhere 4 wine bottles and 7 bottles of water voucher package .This was where we came across the most bizarre rule on our first night. You can take your unfinished bottle of wine from the MDR but not a glass, all glasses to remain in the restaurant. Our waiter brought me a champagne glass to transfer my wine into , I asked him nicely if he could get me a balloon glass from the bar which he did bless him. After that we did not bother and just saved unused wine for the next evening.

The last package we bought was a 14 bottle/can premium beer. On the basic all inclusive drinks package only draft Heineken is included I believe. With our vouchers we could have any beers/ciders and it was enough. We actually had difficulty using them up. When we have had all inclusive drinks packages previously we found we were drinking for the sake of drinking .

All other drinks we paid as we went , I had a couple of Martinis in La Prua.

Pools- MSC don't have an adults only pool or one that has padded cushions unless you want to pay €10 a day to use the Top18 sun deck where they have cabanas .We found the loungers to be extremely uncomfortable and only had 2 settings , flat and not upright enough. MSC failed on pool comfort. There were plenty of jacuzzis and 3 pools available to all plus the Yacht club guests had their own environment.

There was a bizarre system MSC used, no pool towel station on deck anywhere, pool towels were provided in cabin on embarkation. Hubby asked a deck attendant what was a person to do when your towel was wet from swimming and you wanted a replacement. Apparently you were to go to your room , dial 99 and someone would bring you dry ones!! Thank goodness we no longer use the pools or jacuzzis on ships so did not test the system. Upside of this was lots of empty loungers , no one saving multiple beds with pool towels.

Black card party-

we decided to go to this to see how it compared with RCI's top tier event, there were about 45 people there. Drinks served were champagne, wine , Aperol spritzer and soft drinks served by wait staff wearing white gloves. There were also canapés served by staff walking around the room again wearing white gloves. The International ambassador worked the room taking notes and feedback and the Cruise Director gave a little welcome speech , ball room dancers did a little display. No presentations, no sales pitch from future cruise consultant and best of all no fawning , it was a breath of fresh air. The glass rule appeared again ,you could not take a glass of drink from the venue, a member of staff was at the door with a tray for you to deposit your unfinished drink.

This also happens on Captain's Gala night. All bars on decks 5,6 and 7 served Gala cocktails from 6 - 6.45pm , Vodka martinis, Cosmo type drink, Champagne , wine etc. There was someone at the entrance to the MDR ready to collect your glasses of unfinished drinks.

Our waiter told us that on second sitting a guest bought an expensive bottle of wine and even he wasn't allowed to take the last glass away with him and sat there til midnight in defiance drinking it. After 2 weeks we decided it was a good rule, if RCI adopted it you wouldn't have guests going from the DL/CL two fisted to the MDR .

I wish RCI would allow use of C&A vouchers in the dining room, would stop all that and the 'drive by bar ' nearest to the MDR would not keep running out of glasses.

The thing we noticed the most was how spotless and clean the ship was and how smart all the crew were dressed. The wait staff wear white shirts and cream waistcoats all day and they were always clean . We saw female cleaners in black dresses and white aprons.

There were 4 banks of lifts , our cabin was towards the aft and the nearest lifts for us brought us to the middle of the buffet restaurants , no long walk to midship to walk all the way back on yourself, bliss.

The deck lobby areas were spotless and shiny, lots of marble everywhere on the ship. No trash cans in lift areas, we never saw a discarded cup or plate the whole time onboard.

I thought inter porting was only in Barcelona and Civitavecchia but we soon found out guests embark and disembark at all the ports on our itinerary except Malta and Genoa ,the home port , was the busiest turnaround day. Technically we boarded mid cruise. Main disadvantage was lifeboat drill announcements in multiple languages nearly everyday and on occasion into the cabin. There wasn't a dial to turn off the PA like they have on RCI ships, I looked everywhere, that was annoying especially if you were having a nap.

We were very impressed with MSC Splendida. Abdul our waiter told us Divina in America has been Americanised and they serve free water, steak and lobster in the main dining room, they had to otherwise no one would embark there, his words.

We will definitely book again with MSC. Once we got used to the glass rules we were fine with it.

Anything we did not like and had we done enough homework? Yes and No.

The stairs. I wear heels and found the stair treads narrow and the steel edging not user friendly. I tripped up the stairs more than once and it wasn't down to drink!! I found I had to make sure my foot was wholly on the carpet area which was quite thin , felt like no underlay .

We knew it was school holidays in U.K. but did not know it was holidays in Europe too, lots of children and teens onboard. The Purple jazz bar was a children's playground on the second cruise with the little tykes jumping all over the furniture. You cannot blame the kids.

We loved our time onboard and once we got used to the rules as all ships do have them we were fine with it. We are already looking to book our next MSC cruise .

Thank you MSC for helping us to cut the apron strings.

Sorry folks, I uploaded photos to photo bucket and somehow can't post any links. Which is a better app? I am using an iPad Air. I must confess not too tech savvy.

If anyone has any questions I'll try and answer while my memory is still fresh.

I typed a whole load of stuff in notes and it went puff !! So frustrating and I am too busy getting ready for another cruise. My hat goes off to all those who do lengthy reviews with photos and detailed info.

Excellent review- thank you

Was there a package you could purchase for gelato?

We are from the UK and there are many various voucher packages available for pre purchase , some do include ice cream or ice cream only. The best thing about pre purchasing is no gratuity to be paid saving 15% on onboard prices.

We are from the UK and there are many various voucher packages available for pre purchase , some do include ice cream or ice cream only. The best thing about pre purchasing is no gratuity to be paid saving 15% on onboard prices.

That's a nice feature!

Thanks Heather, great review.

We did a cruise on Musica last year and I agree with much of what you said. We had the drinks package (allegrissimo) and had no issues with carrying drinks apart from in the theatre on Gala night when they enforced the no drink rule with staff at the entrance! The package we had included unlimited Gelato (which became a downfall for my waistline:)).

Your review reminded me that I also had a problem with the stairs and had to walk slowly to avoid tripping in my heels. They must build all their ships with narrow stairs.

We do still enjoy RCL but will be returning to MSC too.

Julie

Food- I realised the section I wrote about food went puff!

The menu is completely different to RCI and smaller dishes.

There was a choice of 2 starters followed by a salad, followed by soup then a choice of pasta or risotto followed by a choice of 3 entrees.

Take note that all meat is cut thinly!!!

On the first night I left half of a delicious risotto to leave room for my entree. My face must have been a picture because my entree plate was nearly empty! Two thin slices of pork loin and 3 potato wedges. We learned then to ask for steamed veg every night. Our hot food was always piping hot .

We are not fussy eaters and did not starve.

There is an Always available menu and I tried the chicken breast, it was thinly sliced like all the other meats. A gluten free menu was available too which the head waiter took care of .The table next to us were all gluten free and we noticed how great care was taken of them.

The only thing I missed food wise was fresh made to order eggs and omelettes at breakfast. I did try the ready made ones in the buffet and they were tasty enough. The fresh fruit display was amazing and the warm fresh made croissants yummy.

I put 6lbs on this cruise!!!

Loved the review...it brought back wonderful memories of our time on the Splendida last year. We have cruised with many different cruise lines and MSC is very quickly becoming our favourite. We find the ships very glitzy and the service very understated. That is not a criticism in any way in fact we much prefer that....no over the top "friendliness"...no sell sell sell ...just there when needed and extremely polite and courteous. Like you Heather the cleanliness stands out. It is a totally different cruising experience which for some may take some getting used to.

Another plus point is the price of going AI....£20 per day....must be one of the best value of all cruise lines.

Crew members-

Every member of staff we needed to speak with were friendly and had a good command of English except our room steward. He was friendly just not good at English.

All the staff are speaking Italian, French, Spanish so I will let him off the couple of misunderstandings :)

Our wait staff were so sweet and we received excellent service even in the buffet when we saw them.

I liked how Guest services was split across the Centrum in two sections , one on each side, rarely were there any queues . When it was busy on our departure morning, they owed me money, I just counted how many were in each line and went to the shortest. Great system.

Edited by heatherb1958

That's a nice feature!

Bartenders on the Divina last year told me they were given a flat gratuity for each drink voucher redeemed. I pre-purchased mine and did not pay a 15% surcharge. I guess it's more correct to say you are not charged 15% surcharge if pre-paying, not that there is no gratuity. It's actually a little tough to give cash to crew members on Divina. If you are not very discreet about it, their SOP is to politely decline.

Bartenders on the Divina last year told me they were given a flat gratuity for each drink voucher redeemed. I pre-purchased mine and did not pay a 15% surcharge. I guess it's more correct to say you are not charged 15% surcharge if pre-paying, not that there is no gratuity. It's actually a little tough to give cash to crew members on Divina. If you are not very discreet about it, their SOP is to politely decline.

That's another interesting point I had not been aware of. I wonder if it's a management rule that they not accept cash tips?

That's another interesting point I had not been aware of. I wonder if it's a management rule that they not accept cash tips?

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/Already-Booked/General-Information.aspx

Under "Tips" it not recommended to tip individuals.

We recently booked our 2nd on Divina. $1100; comparable room same week on Allure was $2700. Folks joined us with an aft balcony and for them is around $1600. Allure standard oceanview balcony for them with D+ discount still came to around $3400. All prices quoted to round dollars, including tax and travel insurance.

They've got some great 10 and 11 night caribbean itineraries coming up at really competitive prices (based on price per night). May be something to consider so you can maximize the sunk costs for flights, etc.

Thanks for the reveiw/comparison. Always good to see some insight on other lines.

Which level of RCI Crown & Anchor transfers over as Black Card on MSC? Thanks.

Dan.

Diamond and above have been getting Black level.

I agree with you Heather about MSC. I have been on the Preziosa and Armonia both in the Med and Divina B2B in Miami.

They used to have really good deals for solos but now solos have to pay double not such a good deal. I was upgraded to balcony on the Preziosa and Divina.

It feels like being abroad just being on the ship. I loved hearing opera in the hallways.

I also agree about the Allegrissimo drink package, fabulous deal.

I am trying Costa next month for the first time, no solo supplement, so will see how I like Costa.