Calling the ship?

IWORK2CRUISE

Hi!

We are preparing for our 1st Celebrity cruise on Celebrity Summit 04/21/18.

The Celebrity website is a bit "iffy" and I can't seem to find a number for people to call if they need to reach a passenger.

Can anyone assist me?

I need to provide emergency contact info.

Thanks!

It is really, really hard for anyone to reach you by phone. Even if you could get a good number for calling the ship, the people calling you would spend a lot of money and possibly only be able to leave you a message on your cabin phone. We tell everyone to send me an email. Even with a small internet package, you can usually check your email a few times daily on a mobile device. If something critical has happened, you can then decide how you will contact people back home.

While our life is different now, we used to leave behind small children and elderly parents. I always wanted the people managing those situations to know how to reach us. Everything's improved dramatically with the advent of smart phones. I can use my phone to log on to the ship wifi, check my email, and log off in just a few minutes. Generally, I'm just looking for important emails. I worry about deleting unwanted stuff and updating friends at times when I can grab a little free wifi in port.

I google it. From inside the U.S. (877) 266-1020 The Summit extension is 10# The charge is $7.95 per minute. You should try the number to verify it.

We have been able to keep in touch with family members by cell phone. Verizon offers a $10 day travel pass and only charges on the days we make calls. On our last cruise, we had an internet package and we kept in touch via facebook messenger at no extra charge.

Assuming you have a cell phone, check it/your carrier. Several models have wifi calling. You can ask crew where free wifi is available in the port area. If someone back home needs to contract you, you would need to get to a port to "be able to do anything."

This was copied from a 2 year old CC post on the same topic:

How do I contact a passenger directly on Celebrity Cruises?

Celebrity CruisesFriends or family can reach you 24 hours a day via Celebrity’s Satellite Service. Your friends and family can contact the ship by calling (877) 266-1020. From outside the U.S., they can call (732) 335-3296.

The cost is $7.95 USD a minute and can be charged to American Express®, MasterCard®, Visa®, Discover® or Diners Club®. From outside the U.S. additional long distance charges will also apply. Calls are limited to 10 minutes.

Callers must have the ship name and the person they wish to contact. When connected, enter the number for the ship you wish to reach, followed by the pound sign:

Celebrity Century: 1#

Celebrity Constellation: 2#

Celebrity Eclipse: 3#

Celebrity Equinox: 4#

Celebrity Infinity: 5#

Celebrity Millennium: 6#

Celebrity Reflection: 7#

Celebrity Silhouette: 8#

Celebrity Solstice: 9#

Celebrity Summit: 10#

I'm on the summit right now. Internet is so good I'm watching Netflix. I have been keeping in contact with my kids via Facebook and email. Keep your phone with you. My kids reached me 2x yesterday (situation with one of our dogs). You can use the celebrity # but this is quicker as long as you have internet package. And buy it beforehand. cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

I google it. From inside the U.S. (877) 266-1020 The Summit extension is 10# The charge is $7.95 per minute. You should try the number to verify it.

We have been able to keep in touch with family members by cell phone. Verizon offers a $10 day travel pass and only charges on the days we make calls. On our last cruise, we had an internet package and we kept in touch via facebook messenger at no extra charge.

Be careful about using the Verizon idea. If you make/receive calls while onboard you will get charged extensively well beyond the $10 a day (I think that charge is also $7.95 a minute but not certain about the amount). It is only a good idea when using in port when the ship's cell service is turned off.

We always give the ship's emergency #'s for 'must contact you immediately' calls - but honestly how many of those would even be needed when there is basically absolutely nothing you can really do when onboard anyway. But I understand in a serious emergency you may just want to know what is going on.

For day-to-day contact we use email. For keep in touch phone calls, we use Google Hangouts via the ships Wi-Fi. But don't get too excited about the comment regarding streaming Netflix. Our experience (and we cruise ALOT on Celebrity since retiring - 6 weeks onboard so far this year and more upcoming) is that it is pretty rare that the connection is that good - but it can happen on occasion.

Be careful about using the Verizon idea. If you make/receive calls while onboard you will get charged extensively well beyond the $10 a day (I think that charge is also $7.95 a minute but not certain about the amount). It is only a good idea when using in port when the ship's cell service is turned off.

We always give the ship's emergency #'s for 'must contact you immediately' calls - but honestly how many of those would even be needed when there is basically absolutely nothing you can really do when onboard anyway. But I understand in a serious emergency you may just want to know what is going on.

For day-to-day contact we use email. For keep in touch phone calls, we use Google Hangouts via the ships Wi-Fi. But don't get too excited about the comment regarding streaming Netflix. Our experience (and we cruise ALOT on Celebrity since retiring - 6 weeks onboard so far this year and more upcoming) is that it is pretty rare that the connection is that good - but it can happen on occasion.

The OP wants a contact number for emergencies. Day to day calling and texting is not really the question posed here but of course everybody has offered very useful info anyway. In emergencies if the ship is not in port you can also use the ship Cellular-At Sea service with your cell phone. Not a great deal per minute but less than the ship-to-shore Celebrity phone charge.

Would the celebrity # be acceptable for emergencies? If I can ask, who is asking for an emergency # for the op? If it's for kids, cant they give another # like a grandparent?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

The numbers I gave in my quote ARE the emergency contact numbers. The OP said nothing about kids. While everyone should leave this for close family at home (just in case), there are other circumstances as well. Both DH (while active duty military) and DSIL (federal employee) needed to leave this information as a condition of their leave. Grandma's phone # just wouldn't cut it. And how is Grandma supposed to get hold of the OP in a true emergency?OR worse, what if Grandma IS the emergency?

The OP wants a contact number for emergencies. Day to day calling and texting is not really the question posed here but of course everybody has offered very useful info anyway. In emergencies if the ship is not in port you can also use the ship Cellular-At Sea service with your cell phone. Not a great deal per minute but less than the ship-to-shore Celebrity phone charge.

The OP was looking for a number for people to call them. Your response seems to relate to the OP making the emergency call.

Last time we cruised, we left that ship number "just in case." We don't have kids and our parents, while older, are still very independent. We had had siblings at home who could deal with any emergencies, but if they NEEDED to get in touch with us, they could call that number. I figured that if the emergency reached that level, the cost wouldn't be a major concern.

If it's a situation where you need to check on someone regularly and want to do it via telephone, use one of those apps like Viber or WhatsApp. I used WhatsApp during a recent trip to London and it worked wonderfully. You'd have to buy the internet package, but if you need to stay in touch, it's a small price. Especially considering the $7.95/min charge.

Thank you for the warning. I had signed up for the Verizon travel plan, but never got to use it. As soon as I set foot on the ship, my third party theftware locked my phone. My mom was recovering from a mastectomy and I was furious that I wasn't able to call them. I signed up for internet and kept in touch via facebook messenger, which worked out very well. In the future I will take your advice - only use my cell phone in port. Thank you so much.