haven question

lhm929

My mother friend and nephew are staying in a 2 bedroom suite on breakaway haven. I am looking to go but don't want to stay in the suite with them, and don't want to pay for my own suite in haven b/c its ridiculous. If I have one of their room keys would I be able to join them in the Haven areas?

My mother friend and nephew are staying in a 2 bedroom suite on breakaway haven. I am looking to go but don't want to stay in the suite with them, and don't want to pay for my own suite in haven b/c its ridiculous. If I have one of their room keys would I be able to join them in the Haven areas?

If you are not staying in the Haven, even though your relatives are in the Haven, the butlers, concierge and courtyard valet will eventually see that you are abusing their Haven privileges and will ask you to leave.

You can join them inside their Haven suite as their guest, but you are not allowed in the other Haven areas.

Edited by Cruisin&Relaxin

I know it seems like I am asking to abuse but actually, its only 1200 for me to stay as a fourth in the suite that accommodates 6 and only three are using and I am looking to pay more for my own room. Just not 4000 so I can eat with my family.

It doesn't matter how many the suite holds or how many you actually booked in the suite. If you are in a Haven suite, you can use the Haven facilities. If you are not, you cannot. Imagine if everyone had a family member(s) that also wanted to do this? It would take away the exclusivity and less crowded space of the Haven.

I know it seems like I am asking to abuse but actually, its only 1200 for me to stay as a fourth in the suite that accommodates 6 and only three are using and I am looking to pay more for my own room. Just not 4000 so I can eat with my family.

Regardless of how you want to rationalize it, it you are not paying for the privilege of a Haven Suite, then you abusing it from the perspective of the other Haven guests if you are allowed to use the Haven without paying for it.

Talk to the Concierge once you board as they have the final determination on what you are trying to do.

If I have one of their room keys would I be able to join them in the Haven areas?

The room key (card) will show a picture of the person who owns the card when the card is swiped. The hostess at the Haven Dining Room does swipe the cards before seating guests.

On the Breakaway you should be able to join your family for dinner in the Haven Dining Room for a $25 charge but even this must be prearranged with the concierge.

Edited by ks

How sure are you about that? I have heard of travel agents making special arrangements like that with the cruise line if I am not mistaken.

Yes you're not mistaken. You can be booked in your own cabin and added as the third/fourth passenger in a different suite cabin to get Haven privileges. P.S. This isn't abusing the system... you're paying for the privileges (About $700 I believe).

Edited by kylenyc

Yes you're not mistaken. You can be booked in your own cabin and added as the third/fourth passenger in a different suite cabin to get Haven privileges. P.S. This isn't abusing the system... you're paying for the privileges (About $700 I believe).

I'm very happy to be wrong. That's a great solution.

Thanks for the information. You learn something new everyday, thanks for giving me an extra piece of wisdom today. The DH and I thought about doing a trip with my DBIL but not sure if we wanted to share the cabin space at night even though that is alot of it becaue we wanted a little more privacy.

Edited by Linda the Book Lover

Since this is about eating together and not the suite perks, why not have them join you in the dining venues that you have? They don't have to eat in the Haven, they can also go to any of the restaurants on board that you can enjoy.

And as others have mentioned, you can go to two dinners in the Haven as a guest for a $25 per meal charge.

Since this is about eating together and not the suite perks, why not have them join you in the dining venues that you have? They don't have to eat in the Haven, they can also go to any of the restaurants on board that you can enjoy.

And as others have mentioned, you can go to two dinners in the Haven as a guest for a $25 per meal charge.

OP wasn't asking about eating together, but rather, using the Haven facilities.

In January my husband and I were in the Haven on the Epic and my parents and their friends were not. We never considered having them eat in the Haven restaurants once we were on board. I had done the research and knew that they could join us for dinner for $25, but since we never ate dinner in the Haven restaurant, it never came up.

The only perks we did share was show seating and disembarkation. We spoke with the concierge about this before hand. My parents disembarked with us twice (both times the concierge asked if they would be joining us). We probably wouldn't have taken advantage of this for them if it wasn't for the fact that my Mom has some mobility issues that make standing in line difficult for her. And both times we used this, we were the last Haven guests to leave to make sure we weren't abusing the system. Overall, the concierge staff was great. Any time we booked something for just my husband and I we were asked if my parents would be joining us. I think a lot of this comes down to what we were asking for and the fact that we ASKED very deferentially.

We did not bring them to Posh, the pool or any of the other Haven areas. My Dad joked the whole time that they were in steerage.

And the staff knows who is a Haven guest and who isn't. In fact, the first morning my husband and I were greeted by name for breakfast BEFORE we handed our card over. I figure they must spend some time studying everyone's photos.

While you might be able to share some perks as a non-Haven guest, I would try to stick to ones that aren't as obvious. If you want all of the bells and whistles work with NCL to see what they can do for you.

No. You're better off just staying in their cabin.

It does not matter how much you are spending. Unless you are spending that money on Haven accommodations, you are not entitled to use any of the Haven perks.

Overall, the concierge staff was great. Any time we booked something for just my husband and I we were asked if my parents would be joining us. I think a lot of this comes down to what we were asking for and the fact that we ASKED very deferentially.

Key to anything in the services industry, it's how you ask, not what you expect.

Short story ... I was a frequent American Airlines business class passenger flying across the pond on a regular basis, and was always very appreciative of the work the flight attendants did -- and thanked them. Then my company's travel policy changed, and I was suddenly a coach passenger in the back. I tended to be on the same flights with the same crew, and while it didn't happen all the time, if there was an empty seat in business class, one of the flight attendants that recognized me would give me the empty seat. And if there were no seats, I'd be comp'ed with a glass of wine (or two) and sometimes a nicer meal. Paying it forward and recognizing the hard work people in the services industry do goes a long way (as a former McDonald's employee in college, I know what it's like to be abused).