ISO Cozumel advice

polly75

We will arrive in Cozumel on the Victory in November. We would like to: (1) go to San Gervasio, (2) snorkel, and (3) explore the east coast. Possibly a tequila tasting, too (can we do that with kids)?

I was thinking that doing San Gervasio first was ideal (probably just taking taxi), then do snorkeling somewhere (either from shore or boat). We dock at noon and most snorkeling excursions seem to stop after 1pm. If we went out on a boat, I would like to keep it less than 2 hours, definitely less than 3.

I read that you can just walk up to Playa Palancar and go out on a boat. Assuming this is true, anyone know the cost and the duration?

Then we'd like to maybe go to Coconuts but open to more suggestions.

There are 5 of us (my husband and I, MIL, 2 kids (8 & 10). TIA!

That seems like an awful lot of stuff to try and squeeze into one eight or nine hour day. I'm not saying it can't be done (I don't know), just that to me it sounds hurried and stressful. You might want to consider saving one of those excursions for the next cruise. JMHO.

I would hire a driver for the day. You can do ruins then head to other side of island. Coconuts isn't appropriate for kids as the name refers to the ladies who show there boobs for pictures that are in albums for all to see.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

Go to one of the beach clubs on the westside and spend the day. With kids, you are better off not spending your day in a car driving around. Most of the beach clubs have a variety of activities, food, drinks, beach, snorkeling.

We took a taxi to San Gervasio. The driver waits there for you, and (in our case) was happy to take us where we wanted following our visit. The main part of San Gervasio can be seen quickly, but we went to the outlying sites and were there for about 3 hours. When we go with our kids, we like to go to Paradise Beach, everything is priced a la carte. They advertise snorkeling but we've never snorkeled there, so I can't comment on the quality.

Use a taxi or private driver to see San Gevasio (not too impressive IMHO, and bring bug spray), and maybe a drive along the east side. Have them drop you at the Money Bar for good snorkeling from the shore. No beach - you enter the water via steps - with no admission fee, good facilities, lockers, and good food/drinks/service. Taxi back to your pier will cost about $12+

I agree with John’s itinerary and suggestions.

I would suggest perhaps adding the Tequila tasting at the recreated Mayan village behind the Pee Pee station, which is close to San Gervasio. I haven’t been but am thinking of taking my grandson. It has tortilla making station, chocolate and Mayan dancing. I am sure it is “touristy” but I think it may be more interesting than straight Tequila tasting for the kids and would be on your route.

I agree with taxi dropping you off for snorkeling at Money Bar. With your hours, (check ship time is the same as local time) you should be able to catch Happy Hour (5-7) at the Money Bar and maybe watch sunset during dinner before returning to the ship. I am assuming you are in port late?

Thank you! Yes, we arrived in Cozumel at noon (ship is on ET, I assume), and we're there until 10pm. I don't remember a time zone issue on my last cruise. So if itinerary says we arrive at noon, is that 11am Cozumel time? That may give us more "time" to do some things as it sounds like snorkeling/ruins close kind of early.

I heard back from Playa Palancar. Departures 10am, noon, 2pm. They have a 2 reef ($35/$30 kids) and a 3 reef tour ($45/$40 kids).

Maybe we should snorkel first then shoot over to San Gervasio. I realize it may be underwhelming to some, but we have not been to Tulum so cannot compare, and my kids are big history buffs. They eat that stuff up!

Then we can drink our way down the east side. I'll reconsider Coconuts...

Thank you! Yes, we arrived in Cozumel at noon (ship is on ET, I assume), and we're there until 10pm. I don't remember a time zone issue on my last cruise. So if itinerary says we arrive at noon, is that 11am Cozumel time? That may give us more "time" to do some things as it sounds like snorkeling/ruins close kind of early.

I heard back from Playa Palancar. Departures 10am, noon, 2pm. They have a 2 reef ($35/$30 kids) and a 3 reef tour ($45/$40 kids).

Maybe we should snorkel first then shoot over to San Gervasio. I realize it may be underwhelming to some, but we have not been to Tulum so cannot compare, and my kids are big history buffs. They eat that stuff up!

Then we can drink our way down the east side. I'll reconsider Coconuts...

Cozumel is on EST YEAR round now. It will depend on the time of year you travel, where your ship travels from and whether captain makes time changes or not.

Palancar is at the south end of the west coast, about as far from San Gervasio as you can be - I seriously doubt you could make the ruins after the 2 o’clock snorkel and you certainly wouldn’t have time to “drink your way back round the east side” after as the bars there close at dusk due to no electricity (cash only). You “may” make it if you really hustle but you would be doing the east coast road twice - take a look at the relative positions and distances on Google maps. Ruins will probably only take 30 minutes if you self -guide and just do main plaza and don’t go to outlying buildings. By the way, if you do end up taking taxi from Palancar be sure you negotiate in advance for a certain number of hours and make sure the taxi stays with you during ruins and east coast run.

That is why John’s suggestion of itinerary is best - going clockwise round the island if you want to fit in everything. It would mean snorkeling from the shore instead of boat out to reef but would save a lot of money especially if you have your own equipment. Another option for Tequila tasting would be at Sky Reef where you can also shore snorkel and do tequila tasting.

If you insist on boat snorkel I think you will need to rethink your plans and probably miss ruins and/or stopping on east side.

you certainly wouldn’t have time to “drink your way back round the east side” after as the bars there close at dusk due to no electricity (cash only)

Thank you, never would've realized that! ^

OK, I'll confer with family. I guess we either nix ruins or nix snorkel from boat.

Thank you, never would've realized that! ^

OK, I'll confer with family. I guess we either nix ruins or nix snorkel from boat.

Yes I would work out what is most important to you.

Whatever you do make sure you have a TAXI that stays with you on the east side. Taxis are plentiful in the tourist zones - town and southern beach clubs but you don’t want to be stranded on the east side on a cruise ship day.

I would still seriously consider John’s itinerary - sunset dinners at Money Bar or some Oceanside restaurants in town are my favorite but we are never on sailings with late departure.