Cruising with only a carry on

KKB

I am proud of myself--earliest packing job ever! (1 week early) Well, it isn't in the suitcase, but I pulled clothing, shoes, travel toiletries & odds & ends. Since we are doing carry-ons only, I had to think ahead.

DH saw my small pile of clothes & isn't believing that is all I am taking--I said it is 2 pr. capris, 1 pr. shorts (plus I am wearing another pair of capris on plane), about 8 tops, 2 nightshirts, swimsuit & coverup (and only 3 pair of shoes packed--seriously, VERY proud of myself). I find you change clothing so frequently they can easily be worn more than once. (If I can do 5 days in Vegas in a carry on & backpack, I can certainly do a 5 day cruise!)

Typical sea day: toss on tee/shorts for breakfast. Swimsuit/coverup for a few hours. Top/capris for a few hours. Then nice top/nice capris for dinner. Fit flops for swim/comfort, nicer sandals for afternoons, plus heels for evening. All shoes/pants are black so they go with everything & don't show stains:o.

So I need to get DH by on 2 pr. dress slacks (dark), 2 pr. shorts, several polos, swimsuit. His shoes are larger so could be trickier...

Was SUPER excited to find Neutrogena 85 suncreen in the linen closet--3 oz. bottles are the norm! We should be good! We have our 2 ziploc baggies and a small travel kit each for toiletries

Will also have beach bag, small extra bag that folds into nearly nothing (if room), phones/chargers, sunglasses, glasses, brush, curling iron, razor, billfolds, waterbox & as many magazines as I have room for (toss those babies as we go...actually I usually leave these in airports for others to read). If no room, I have kindle books on my phone.

I'm sure I could do this for 7 days with formal nights. There is only 1 formal night on our cruise & we are dining in a restaurant nightly that only does business casual (formal never required), so that helps A LOT. I LOVE to dress up on a cruise BUT we have a tighter connection from flight to cruise than I would prefer, so eliminating ANY delay (like waiting for luggage) will hopefully help ensure we catch that ship!

I would add a second pair of shorts. My two cents.

I just finished transcribing your packing list to adapt for our fall trip. Do you happen to have a similar list for your husband? I'm the light packer of the two of us, but if I can wave something in DH's face, I am confident I can get him to try, at least.:)

Let me see if I can remember it...

He wore navy chinos, a white polo, and a sports coat with fisherman sandals on the plane. Never used the sports coat and wouldn't bother with one again on Windstar or similar.

Packed:

One chinos, one linen slacks in tan.

Three polos, red, tan, light blue.

Two Oxford style shirts

Two Cuban style shirts

Three shorts, I think all tan.

One bathing suit

A few changes of underwear including undershirts.

Sandals

Sneakers and running socks

Two pair of running shorts and two tech shirts

Cotton bucket style hat.

I'm pretty sure all of his shirts matched all of his pants. Of course he also had his shaving kit/3-1-1 bag and I think he had a pair of socks to sleep in on the plane.

He wore navy chinos, a white polo, and a sports coat with fisherman sandals on the plane. Never used the sports coat and wouldn't bother with one again on Windstar or similar.

Packed:

Two Oxford style shirts

Two Cuban style shirts

One bathing suit

Sandals

Cotton bucket style hat.

I'm pretty sure all of his shirts matched all of his pants. Of course he also had his shaving kit/3-1-1 bag and I think he had a pair of socks to sleep in on the plane.

Thank you! I don't know if I can convince DH to pare down that far, but I'm going to give it a try.:D

He reminded me that he also had a t-shirt with some brand or logo on it that he wore once on the ship and once in our Athens hotel with his bathing suit. He thinks he might have slept in it a couple of times as well.

As hard as I try, I'll never be able to pack carry on only for a cruise. I have to pack medical equipment that takes up more than half a carry on. It's disposable, so maybe on the way home? :p

I pack light, don't take a lot of extras, mix and match clothes, limit the shoes. Still can't pack smaller than a 24 inch case a small roll aboard and a tote.

Packed:

Two Oxford style shirts

Two Cuban style shirts

One bathing suit

Sandals

Cotton bucket style hat.

This is fairly similar:

DH thought he could get by with one pair of dark slacks for dinner (he often changes to shorts after; I do not)

3 pair shorts

8 polos (his are quite nice)

tennies, flip flops, dressy sandals

1 swimsuit (I always laugh that people need 2-3 as they don't dry...well, I'm gonna either get WET or sit in the sun & dry, so no worries)

Someone mentioned another pair of shorts--I would normally carry 2, but I currently only have 1 pair of black shorts, so I'm confident I can make do.

DH was still rooting to check a bag. (he's like haven't we done 3 checked bags before??!! Yes, it was 7 days, 2 formal nights & I felt we needed everything but the kitchen sink) We are on SWA--but we arrive in FLL at 1:15PM & if there are any delays arriving, I don't want the stress of waiting for luggage. (I am already stressed enough about flying in the day of--it was unavoidable with work issues. But weather looks good, we have done it 2x before w/o issues & we have insurance if worse comes to worse). But honestly it is a challenge now--WE CAN DO IT!:D

We usually do go through a whole bottle of sunscreen/day on a cruise. 3 oz. is actually a regular size bottle of Neutrogena. I also have a handful of sample tubes. Figure if we go through all this (2 sea days--really only a few hours/day & Cozumel all day; Key West won't require re-application), we can buck up & buy a bottle.

Edited by KKB

The last time I did all carry-on for a long trip, I bought full toiletries (body lotion, shampoo, sunscreen) once we got to Rome. I'm fairly picky about my hair product so brought 2 oz of my own conditioner and a little bit of styling wax, and it was all good.

We may check a 21 bag on the way over to Rome. We're connecting in London and I seem to recall that even small-blade scissors and corkscrews aren't allowed. But we connect in Chicago coming home, so no problem there. And I don't want to breeze through immigration thanks to Global Entry only to wait an hour for my bag to arrive.

This is fairly similar:

DH thought he could get by with one pair of dark slacks for dinner (he often changes to shorts after; I do not)

3 pair shorts

8 polos (his are quite nice)

tennies, flip flops, dressy sandals

1 swimsuit (I always laugh that people need 2-3 as they don't dry...well, I'm gonna either get WET or sit in the sun & dry, so no worries)

Someone mentioned another pair of shorts--I would normally carry 2, but I currently only have 1 pair of black shorts, so I'm confident I can make do.

DH was still rooting to check a bag. (he's like haven't we done 3 checked bags before??!! Yes, it was 7 days, 2 formal nights & I felt we needed everything but the kitchen sink) We are on SWA--but we arrive in FLL at 1:15PM & if there are any delays arriving, I don't want the stress of waiting for luggage. (I am already stressed enough about flying in the day of--it was unavoidable with work issues. But weather looks good, we have done it 2x before w/o issues & we have insurance if worse comes to worse). But honestly it is a challenge now--WE CAN DO IT!:D

We usually do go through a whole bottle of sunscreen/day on a cruise. 3 oz. is actually a regular size bottle of Neutrogena. I also have a handful of sample tubes. Figure if we go through all this (2 sea days--really only a few hours/day & Cozumel all day; Key West won't require re-application), we can buck up & buy a bottle.

I don't like only having one pair of shorts or dinner pants in case of spills or something like that. I would cut back on shirts and send a couple out for laundering if needed before I'd take the chance of being caught short on the bottoms. JMHO.

Pack the medical equipment in a separate tote, it doesn't count towards carry on in US carriers. Well, maybe Spirit, but they don't count.

I'd hate to have 2 totes. The stuff I have is really bulky, but not heavy. I really prefer to board a plane unencumbered. That's the real reason I don't attempt to travel for a week or more in carry on only.

Edited by Happy ks

Why all my pants are BLACK--spills don't show:)

I would not normally do just a carry on (especially since we are on SWA!) but the tight connection has pushed me in this direction.

Funny, stopped at Walgreens last night; the travel sized sunscreens said 3oz...MUCH smaller bottle than my Neutrogena that says 3oz...hmmmm....

Not worried about burning, we are pretty liberal in application.:p

I am proud of myself--earliest packing job ever! (1 week early) Well, it isn't in the suitcase, but I pulled clothing, shoes, travel toiletries & odds & ends. Since we are doing carry-ons only, I had to think ahead.

DH saw my small pile of clothes & isn't believing that is all I am taking--I said it is 2 pr. capris, 1 pr. shorts (plus I am wearing another pair of capris on plane), about 8 tops, 2 nightshirts, swimsuit & coverup (and only 3 pair of shoes packed--seriously, VERY proud of myself). I find you change clothing so frequently they can easily be worn more than once. (If I can do 5 days in Vegas in a carry on & backpack, I can certainly do a 5 day cruise!)

Typical sea day: toss on tee/shorts for breakfast. Swimsuit/coverup for a few hours. Top/capris for a few hours. Then nice top/nice capris for dinner. Fit flops for swim/comfort, nicer sandals for afternoons, plus heels for evening. All shoes/pants are black so they go with everything & don't show stains:o.

So I need to get DH by on 2 pr. dress slacks (dark), 2 pr. shorts, several polos, swimsuit. His shoes are larger so could be trickier...

Was SUPER excited to find Neutrogena 85 suncreen in the linen closet--3 oz. bottles are the norm! We should be good! We have our 2 ziploc baggies and a small travel kit each for toiletries

Will also have beach bag, small extra bag that folds into nearly nothing (if room), phones/chargers, sunglasses, glasses, brush, curling iron, razor, billfolds, waterbox & as many magazines as I have room for (toss those babies as we go...actually I usually leave these in airports for others to read). If no room, I have kindle books on my phone.

I'm sure I could do this for 7 days with formal nights. There is only 1 formal night on our cruise & we are dining in a restaurant nightly that only does business casual (formal never required), so that helps A LOT. I LOVE to dress up on a cruise BUT we have a tighter connection from flight to cruise than I would prefer, so eliminating ANY delay (like waiting for luggage) will hopefully help ensure we catch that ship!

Sounds great, let us know when you get back how this worked out for you. The only thing I didn't see on your list is a shaw or lightweight sweater to wear in the cool areas of the ship, especially in the MDR.

Why all my pants are BLACK--spills don't show:)

I would not normally do just a carry on (especially since we are on SWA!) but the tight connection has pushed me in this direction.

Funny, stopped at Walgreens last night; the travel sized sunscreens said 3oz...MUCH smaller bottle than my Neutrogena that says 3oz...hmmmm....

Not worried about burning, we are pretty liberal in application.:p

Not trying to be contrary, but there are plenty of spills that will show on black. Anything with oil, dairy, egg yolk, etc. I say this as I've learned the hard way and now always have a back up.

I have also found that quality of fabric is key when traveling. I have black pants that shout out when something has been spilled on them, others I can wipe off with a damp cloth and whatever was on there no trace is left.

Same thing with other colors/clothes. I have white pants that I will take because of the same as above, no worries with those. I have beautiful tops that will never go into the suitcase, since they don't travel well, while others are always chosen first. I'll even pack fine linen, which scares the bejeebers out of some. But I know how it travels and it doesn't need much special care other than packing is dry cleaner bags. Poor quality linen just doesn't do so well.

Even though I don't travel carry on, I also don't want a different outfit for every day and every night. I found I never used all the clothes and ended up having to split the case between dirty and clean. Now I want it all dirty when returning home. So, basics work best, mix and match, I don't do colorful or trendy (no one will notice that way)….of course with over 3000+ people on most ships nowadays, believe me, no one will notice.

I've always kind of been under the impression, since talking to world travelers who have been doing this a long time, reducing ones wardrobe is a pleasure. I met one couple who were barely home and went on luxury lines. They told me they always had several carry ons each packed for a cruise, since they would return home for 3/4 days at a time before heading back out. They never checked a bag. They always packed the same items for every cruise and would only add a jacket to carry if they were headed to inclement weather. What a wonderful way to learn what to pack :)

Sounds great, let us know when you get back how this worked out for you. The only thing I didn't see on your list is a shaw or lightweight sweater to wear in the cool areas of the ship, especially in the MDR.

I will actually be wearing this on the plane since we are traveling from/through cooler areas.

Not trying to be contrary, but there are plenty of spills that will show on black. Anything with oil, dairy, egg yolk, etc. I say this as I've learned the hard way and now always have a back up.

But I generally find if I am careful & quick most are good.

And I do have 3 black capris (wearing one on plane). I only wear shorts to breakfast (we usually eat out on deck), & to beach port so not a lot of wear. I find it generally cool in the ship areas so capris there, and I have a coverup for my swimsuit.

It always amazes me how folks can cruise with just carry on:D Only for more casual travelers I would imagine though as I can't see too many posher dresses and high shoes that we at CC love wearing all fitting in a small case.

It's just not for me as I don't like to wear the same thing twice and have so many accessories they fill a bag themselves but kudos if you can get it all in and have enough to wear.

Maybe I will try it on our next 3 dayer, nah who am I kidding with a 50 minute drive to the port we still have a case each, other half has a rucksack and I have 3 pieces of hand luggage:eek:

Have fun and there is always the laundry for stains:)

Many dresses that fit into semi formal and in some cases even formal are made of thin fabrics that don't wrinkle and can be packed in no space at all. I use the same shoes for all dinners, my accessories except maybe a scarf or two all fit into a ZipLock. I don't carry a handbag on the ship. I am finishing my packing list for two weeks in Tahiti and California and will post it when I get it done.

When going on a cruise, I would have no interest in only taking a carryon. Why limit myself when it's not necessary? Besides, our dive equipment alone requires one suitcase per person, plus my underwater camera equipment takes up a carryon. We either drive, fly Southwest, or go first class so there's no luggage charge. Give me suitcases any day and a few singles for the porters, we're on vacation!

I suppose it depends on how you are traveling. We tend to do a lot of moving around from place to place, so packing light makes us able to take mass transit. Also I like having my bag with me on the airplane so I know for sure it arrives with me/ It also helps to not have to wait for what can feel like ever on a long haul for the bags to come up so you can clear CBP for whatever country you are coming and going from.