Oceania Cruises vs the Luxury Lines

bahrain_not_dubai!

Hello everyone !

For a cruise next Summer I have been considering a few options, and the 12 night July 7 voyage aboard the Riviera has stood out to me- a seemingly beautiful ship, a high level of service and a great itinerary. Yet one of the most important thing to me, in regards to purchasing a cruise, is value for money- this isn't necessarily expense, for some cruises can be quite a mouthful of dollars and yet still retain value for the amount paid. This is where I am slightly concerned in regards to Oceania. For the price of that voyage, Seabourn has quoted me less in a larger suite for 10 nights- and Seabourn is quite possibly my most favorite line. Silversea, too, has quoted me a very similar rate for a voyage heading to more or less the same destinations.

Naturally, whether I like Seabourn, Oceania or any other line more is completely subjective, yet from the experienced O cruisers, my question is simply, if an O cruise really does lean towards a luxury experience strongly, and that Oceania is worth the price you pay to board one of their ships, or if the new Oceania ships are just premium cruise lines with service standards to match, yet at rates of the luxury lines?

If yes, what makes Oceania Cruises, to you, worth it?

:P thank you :)

Regards,

bahrain_not_dubai!

When we looked for a cruise, we also considered Seabourn & Silverseas. For us, Oceania's "smoking policy" was the decider.

No smoking in staterooms. No smoking on verandas. No smoking in the ship or on the deck with the exception of 2 areas only: 1) Horizon's bar - rear, port side and 2) Pool Deck - rear, starboard? side

Second consideration was "country club casual attire" - No formal wear.

If neither of these are important to you, I'd book with Seabourn or Silverseas if they are giving you a better deal.

As to service, I cannot comment on Oceania's larger ships (Marina/Riviera) but can say that the service on their smaller ships (Insignia/Regatta/Nautica) is excellent.

In our opinion, Oceania is not overpriced.

I agree with Trina

For us it is the smoking policy or lack of smoking

No formal nights and CCC dress code, good itineraries

size of the ships even the Marina is not too big

great crew ...they really go out of their way to please

May not be luxury to you but works for us

Only you can decide what will make you happy

Lyn

Oceania. Oceania is drop dead gorgeous, but it is not all inclusive. My husband and I do not drink that much, so the added dollars doesn't matter. However, you might want to think about this. Also, we were in South America on the Regatta and there was no transportation at any port. I understand that they have changed this policy and we are willing to give it another try. I too like the dress code--where playing dress-up is not mandatory. So that is my take on the subject. Hope you love your cruise.

We have got to agree with other posters. Our SS cruise last year was fabulous value, great food, super fellow pax, superior accomodation BUT was spoilt because of the smoking policies.

Recent Marina experience was, with the usual weaknesses associated with "O." a wonderful overall trip.

I have to say that I've always had a problem deciding whether I prefer Silversea or Oceania....

Silversea pro's......no signing for drinks etc, standard verandah suite better use of space than an R ship PH, no snobbery, great staff, at seat bar service in show lounges (except Spirit), a more international/cosmopolitan mix of passengers.

Silversea con's......food not up to "O" standards, main dining room fare can be patchy (generally served impeccably though!!), room service (particularly breakfast) poor unless you do the course by course from the restaurant menu, poor design of Silver Spirit.

Oceania pro's.....food!!!, beds, non formal dress code, bring your own booze for the cabin :eek:, the thalassotherapy tub in the spa on the R ships & Jacques P's roast chicken

Oceania con's.....R ship PH suite design/bathrooms, a little cabin grade snobbery (barely perceptible & nowhere near the likes of Cunard), occasional hiccups in restaurant service & staff don't seem empowered to use their initaitive when troubleshooting (we had an uphill struggle dealing with a broken suitcase & pool damaged swimwear...red swim shorts that had been in several ships pools that turned petrol blue on Regatta:confused:), signing for drinks (O should think about drinks packages).

It's 50/50 for me, but Oceania is definitely good value for money.

My opinion will be a bit different from most here on the Oceania board. I've only cruised on O once, and I've cruised on Silversea once. Taking those two experiences into account if I could go on Silversea for the same money as Oceania on the itinerary I want to go on there would be no hesitation, no consideration. For me I would book SS over O in a heartbeat, given the same price point.

Which room are you considering? It seems the price doesn't start matching up until you get to the PH level on O and above. The starting room on SS is around 300 sq ft and the bathroom has double sinks with separate tub & shower.

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy O, I wouldn't be cruising with them again if I didn't.

The smoking doesn't bother me, I hardly noticed anyone smoking cigarettes on Silversea and I was a regular in the cigar lounge, so I have a different perspective on that issue. For many that's a big deal.

I also enjoy the open bars ship wide. I have to say I certainly didn't see anyone abusing this on SS or Regent.

I do like the dress code on O but getting dressed up on the other lines really doesn't bother me.

Do you or your travel companions smoke? If so you might prefer Seabourn. Do you like black-tie evenings? Then you may prefer Seabourn. We were on Seabourn a number of years ago for 14 dyas and loved it. Now we prefer not dressing up for dinner and are looking forward to our first O cruise in October. Also, we really don't drink much, so the Seabourn alcohol-included policy doesn't mean much for us.

Judging from your profile, I see that you have had a number of cruises that are not as luxurious as either Seabourn or O. If you enjoyed those other ships, I would think you certainly could not so wrong on either.

I have to say that I've always had a problem deciding whether I prefer Silversea or Oceania....

Silversea pro's......no signing for drinks etc' date=' standard verandah suite better use of space than an R ship PH, no snobbery, great staff, at seat bar service in show lounges (except Spirit), a more international/cosmopolitan mix of passengers.

Silversea con's......food not up to "O" standards, main dining room fare can be patchy (generally served impeccably though!!), room service (particularly breakfast) poor unless you do the course by course from the restaurant menu, poor design of Silver Spirit.

Oceania pro's.....food!!!, beds, non formal dress code, bring your own booze for the cabin :eek:, the thalassotherapy tub in the spa on the R ships & [b']Jacques P's roast chicken[/b]

Oceania con's.....R ship PH suite design/bathrooms, a little cabin grade snobbery (barely perceptible & nowhere near the likes of Cunard), occasional hiccups in restaurant service & staff don't seem empowered to use their initaitive when troubleshooting (we had an uphill struggle dealing with a broken suitcase & pool damaged swimwear...red swim shorts that had been in several ships pools that turned petrol blue on Regatta:confused:), signing for drinks (O should think about drinks packages).

It's 50/50 for me, but Oceania is definitely good value for money.

I thought I was the only one who is crazy for J's roast chicken. 14 nights on the Mediterranean, and I had it for dinner three of those nights. And in another three weeks I'll be ordering it again. Surely the ultimate comfort food.

I thought I was the only one who is crazy for J's roast chicken. 14 nights on the Mediterranean, and I had it for dinner three of those nights. And in another three weeks I'll be ordering it again. Surely the ultimate comfort food.

It is OK but I prefer Swiss Chalet but I guess those in the USA cannot get this so JP will have to do;)

O is a wonderful line with great food and service. However, since I would never sail on O in anything less than a PH the price is at least equal to if not more than Seabourn or Silversea which are all inclusive. For those who are happy with a regular verandah cabin they can definitely save money by sailing on O and have a great cruise.

As for the PH on Marina I think it is a superb accommodation. I don't care how good the QG suite is on Cunard you're still on a mass market ship with thousands of other passengers.

First of all, a great thank you for all of your considered replies :)

Ultimately I think I will just go with the itinerary that suits best- both lines seem to do what they do good enough.

I've cruised on just about everything, but once again, its really the value for money that matters to me- weather it be NCL or a yacht charter, its the value for money, rather than the expense. Whenever I travel alone or with just the family, I opt for something a tad higher end, when taking the entire extended family along (nightmarishly :P ) I tend to be on one of the larger ships.

Thank you for your delightful input and I'll make a decision in regard to itinerary, possibly giving O a go ! :D

I know you have probably received all the answers for which you were looking, and some very good comparisons at that. Just had to put my two cents in on the comparison.

I have sailed many lines (over 65 cruises) and loved Silversea, Song of Flower (Regent now), Cunard (the Vistafjord & Sagafjord), and so on and the formalities, the convenience of not having to sign for drinks, the larger accommodations which are standard without having to upgrade (unless you go into the big suites, which are not of interest to me) are a wonderful touch.

Then I tried Oceania. We fell in love with them--superb service, great food, good ports--general overall excellence. We felt we could get away from some of the formalities at home and enjoy "country club casual," which made a big difference in our ability to relax without a schedule (other than ports, of course).

When we get onboard now, it is like seeing family. So many recognize you and they do, in fact, go above and beyond. I only wish I could travel more. We try about 3 a year right now.

Have a fabulous trip, and I do hope that you will give Oceania a try following all of the comparisons you have received, THEN YOU can do your own comparison.

Bon Voyage

I thought Oceania gave good value for the money, especially with regard to dining.

When buying a cruise, I calculate the per day cost, including EVERYTHING: cost of similar cabins based on square footage, cost of air (some include, others don't,) the likely cost of excursions/tours, estimated cost of our liquor bill, tips, port fees, taxes, transportation to and from ship, etc., pre- and post-cruise overnights included Only then will you be able to compare apples to apples.

I don't really consider it an inconvenience to sign for a drink or other purchase, or pay for an excursion separately, rather than take a generic "included" excursion. Just depends on how much work you are willing to do to make your own arrangements vs. hire the cruise line to make them for you. Doing some of the legwork yourself can save significant money better spent elsewhere.

So once I have the per day cost, then I'm in a position to compare the "intangibles" offered by various cruise lines I'm considering. Itinerary first, ship size (prefer under 700 passengers,) quality of dining and minimal smoking would be our criteria for ranking in order of importance.

Niece works for Seabourn marketing and can get us "friends and family" deals, but given Seabourn's smoking policy and my spouse's intolerance of smoking in general, I've been reluctant to book. I know I'd hear about the smoking nonstop if he smelled it anywhere on the ship. We had no problem with that on Oceania Insignia or any other cruise line we've used thus far.

I agree with Trina

For us it is the smoking policy or lack of smoking

No formal nights and CCC dress code, good itineraries

size of the ships even the Marina is not too big

great crew ...they really go out of their way to please

May not be luxury to you but works for us

Only you can decide what will make you happy

Lyn

Lyn, we are very close to booking our 1st Oceania Cruise for next Summer on the Marina so I am paying attention to the postings and comparisons. You are obviously experienced with Oceania and like them. I like the no smoking policy also. Alcohol inclusive would be nice but not essential. Need help in choosing a cabin and deck level.Our TA recommended Deck 9, category A3 mid ship. Is this a good location? Is the Concierge level worth the monetary increase over the B1 Cabins?

Thanks for your tips!

If you do a search through CC I think you'll find different answers regarding your question about the value of concierge service.

Lots of people think the extra price is worth it, but many do not. We can't really tell you what YOU will prefer.

We tend to book higher end cabins (although not the top suites) not for butler service or concierge service, but for more space. So I might say to you that I don't think it's worth paying more just for concierge service.

Others will disagree.

Mura

Lyn, we are very close to booking our 1st Oceania Cruise for next Summer on the Marina so I am paying attention to the postings and comparisons. You are obviously experienced with Oceania and like them. I like the no smoking policy also. Alcohol inclusive would be nice but not essential. Need help in choosing a cabin and deck level.Our TA recommended Deck 9, category A3 mid ship. Is this a good location? Is the Concierge level worth the monetary increase over the B1 Cabins?

Thanks for your tips!

Just to clarify there is smoking allowed but only in 2 small areas & easily avoidable

It is a personal preference whether it is worth the extra $$ for concierge or not

If the perks that come with the A cabins suit your needs/want then go for it If you do not care I would save some $$ & book a B cat

We were in a B4 (7114) DECK 7 it was just fine

The A, B & C Cabins are the same size it is just location & perks that are different

You can take alcohol onboard for use in your cabin if you want

If you take wine to the dining venues you will pay a corkage fee

I am not sure if there are any bad cabins on the ship just location if you are prone to the motion of the ocean

Enjoy

Lyn

Just to clarify there is smoking allowed but only in 2 small areas & easily avoidable

It is a personal preference whether it is worth the extra $$ for concierge or not

If the perks that come with the A cabins suit your needs/want then go for it If you do not care I would save some $$ & book a B cat

We were in a B4 (7114) DECK 7 it was just fine

The A, B & C Cabins are the same size it is just location & perks that are different

You can take alcohol onboard for use in your cabin if you want

If you take wine to the dining venues you will pay a corkage fee

I am not sure if there are any bad cabins on the ship just location if you are prone to the motion of the ocean

Enjoy

Lyn

Lyn, Thanks for the helpful info. I was more or less interested in the decks 7,8 or 9 with Cabins in A or B category if the balconies were bigger or smaller or any potential obstruction from the lifeboats or open viewing from the balconies of the decks above.

Oceania's web site pretty much shows the room layout to be the same and bigger then the Minisuites we have had previously on Princess. Happy to hear that you like Deck 7

Lyn, Thanks for the helpful info. I was more or less interested in the decks 7,8 or 9 with Cabins in A or B category if the balconies were bigger or smaller or any potential obstruction from the lifeboats or open viewing from the balconies of the decks above.

Oceania's web site pretty much shows the room layout to be the same and bigger then the Minisuites we have had previously on Princess. Happy to hear that you like Deck 7

We had a larger balcony but you are overlooked if that bothers you

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2337181770101934561zGkqIb

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2629714840101934561eLXwhY

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2141293180101934561rfUlzc

but still the same furniture as the other B cabins ;)

Lyn, Thanks for the photos!! It appears if I am looking at the decks and balconies correctly, Deck 7 is partially covered for privacy / partially uncovered for better viewing or sunbathing and the decks above 8,9,10 etc. are all a bit smaller balconies but all completely covered and more private?

Lyn, Thanks for the photos!! It appears if I am looking at the decks and balconies correctly, Deck 7 is partially covered for privacy / partially uncovered for better viewing or sunbathing and the decks above 8,9,10 etc. are all a bit smaller balconies but all completely covered and more private?

That about sums it up

A few are the larger balconies you need to check the deck plan

Lyn

P.S. what part of Houston are you in?

We are going to Pearland for Thanksgiving

In the past 12 months we have had 2 Seabourn cruises and 1 O on Marina.(lucky us!!). The standard cabins on Seaborn are terrific value and the included wine and cocktail feature means a much smaller account at the end of the cruise ( come on O, duty-free booze isn't an impossiblly expensive perk). Other than these 2 factors O is the hands down winner for us. Food much better Smoking policy in line with 21st century as is the relaxed dress code. We're still sold on O with 2 additional bookings at present John

In the past 12 months we have had 2 Seabourn cruises and 1 O on Marina.(lucky us!!). The standard cabins on Seaborn are terrific value and the included wine and cocktail feature means a much smaller account at the end of the cruise ( come on O, duty-free booze isn't an impossiblly expensive perk). Other than these 2 factors O is the hands down winner for us. Food much better Smoking policy in line with 21st century as is the relaxed dress code. We're still sold on O with 2 additional bookings at present John

John, Thanks for the positive endorsement about O. Does O allow you to bring booze (wine) on from any port stop and open it in your cabin as well if you choose to walk into Dining Room with a glass of wine from your cabin or one purchased from a Lounge on ship? I assume by your post you were very pleased with the Marina!:)

John, Does O allow you to bring booze (wine) on from any port stop and open it in your cabin YES

as well if you choose to walk into Dining Room with a glass of wine from your cabin NO but I am sure people abuse the rules

or one purchased from a Lounge on ship? If you purchase it in a bar the wait staff will in some cases take it to the dining room for you

You can take wine that you buy ashore to the dining venues but you will pay a corkage fee & they will store any left over wine for the next time

They will put you cabin # on it

lyn

You can bring a glass of wine (or an alcoholic drink) purchased in a bar to the dining room. You are not supposed to bring your "own" wine in a restaurant unless you pay a corkage fee. In that case it's easier to bring the bottle of wine to the restaurant rather than just the glass. (Some people cheat of course.)

You can bring wine, etc., on the ship at the embarkation port or any port along the way.

Mura

Archived