Tips, Hints and secret's

hugger

One fun tip that hasn't been mentioned in a while is to check inside the Bible in the bedside drawer. CC members often will leave a few foreign coins or a card with a small balance still on it.

What a great idea but not sure it would be any value now as the unused amount on the cards (except less than $25 on the soda card) are refunded to your account on the last morning. The cards also have your name on them if ordered in advance so, for that reason alone, I probably would not leave them around.

What a great idea but not sure it would be any value now as the unused amount on the cards (except less than $25 on the soda card) are refunded to your account on the last morning. The cards also have your name on them if ordered in advance so, for that reason alone, I probably would not leave them around.

The Bible trick was well known when HAL had the cardboard punch cards for wine by the glass. CC members used to leave cards with a few punches left on them in the Bible for the next CCer. You had to wait a few days to use them so all the punches wouldn't identify it as a leftover card.

Under the new system the card becomes invalid at the end of the cruise and money is refunded to your onboard account. Since the card is linked to your room card it just won't work for the next passenger.

The Bible trick was well known when HAL had the cardboard punch cards for wine by the glass. CC members used to leave cards with a few punches left on them in the Bible for the next CCer. You had to wait a few days to use them so all the punches wouldn't identify it as a leftover card.

Under the new system the card becomes invalid at the end of the cruise and money is refunded to your onboard account. Since the card is linked to your room card it just won't work for the next passenger.

We knew about your tip from a post a while ago. We were up in Boca Raton for their Food and Wine festival earlier this year. I was flipping through the Waldorf Astoria magazine in our room. A $20 bill fluttered out.

The first thing DW did was give the Gideon Bible in the bedside table a "quick read-through." She said that you were the inspiration for her newfound religious fervor.

We knew about your tip from a post a while ago. We were up in Boca Raton for their Food and Wine festival earlier this year. I was flipping through the Waldorf Astoria magazine in our room. A $20 bill fluttered out.

The first thing DW did was give the Gideon Bible in the bedside table a "quick read-through." She said that you were the inspiration for her newfound religious fervor.

Amen, Brother.

Amen, Brother.

Probably should have told you at the time. It was funny. We told our friends, who were down from New England. Naturally, they paged through their books, magazines, and promotional literature - just in case.

One fun tip that hasn't been mentioned in a while is to check inside the Bible in the bedside drawer. CC members often will leave a few foreign coins or a card with a small balance still on it.

But when I went to do it the Bible hasn't been there our last few cruises :-( And, the cards now seem to be tied to our particular cruise dates.

I thought that was such a great way to welcome the new passenger from CC on their cruise. Guess we need to come up with another place to put things.

My general packing strategy for two or three week trips is "open all closets and drawers, insert large percentage of contents into two large suitcases, sit on suitcases to close" but in every suitcase I put some underwear plus an assortment of clothing types.

In my carryon I include two pairs of panties, two pairs of socks, a bra, a lightweight white cotton top that's smooth and comfortable enough to also sleep in, lightweight walking shorts, and a floor length black skirt. Smash everything flat and pack in zip lock bags with the air squeezed out and still have plenty of space for other stuff. Clothes take up very little space when the priority is taking up less space than wrinkles :)

I wear loose very comfortable plain black trousers anyway when I fly so that would be useful. The shoes I normally wear during the day are black leather walking shoes so even there I'd be okay.

Had to climb a fence once to rescue our bags from going with a tour group but I've never had a lost suitcase and hope I never do. But the possibilities, ouch. Passengers on a transatlantic cruise I was on had people who got no bags until Madeira seven days into the cruises. Yikes. Made a vivid impression on me.

Although HAL informs passengers of time changes with a note on the bed the night before, I like to have my information for the entire cruise in one place. I print the itinerary (the basic one that just lists day, arrival & departure times) and by the day write how many hours it will be ahead of "home time." This helps me keep my medicine schedules, etc, that are regulated by time.

I also do the same with average temperature highs and lows.

I've also used another copy to keep track of days I went to the gym, specialty dinner reservations, clothes worn, etc.

Also, on a couple of cruises, we made lanyard necklaces for the key cards at the craft sessions. I've found the lanyards are especially helpful for the scan as you're leaving and returning to the ship. You can just present your card without fumbling through your bags, etc. (I don't wear it in port, I put it away after I've left the ship).

Happy Sailing!

Edited by syesmar

Now lets be honest ladies, how many pairs do you bring on a 14 day cruise?

I had 5 pairs on a 24 day cruise and really could have done with 3 if I hadn't gone to the gym. I had two pairs of flats, one pair of sandals, one pair of pewter heels that went with all my cocktail dresses and my running shoes. The running shoes I wore a couple of times and I really resented the space and weight they took up in my suitcase. As to the flats, I could have taken only one pair but I was afraid that I might get blisters and then I would have been in a pickle.

When we moved to "the sticks" and I gave up my career, I had 73 pairs of heels. Seventy-three pairs. I miss every one of them :eek: :D

I really struggle with shoes when we cruise. My feet are very "fussy" and can quickly blister with ill-fitting shoes, or shoes that I wear too often or for too long a time. I remember the days when I could take a suitcase full of shoes for a cruise.... (insert sigh here :) ) Now, my biggest packing problem is how to reduce the # of shoes I take.

Love it! Well I never had 73 pairs of heels, but DH did build me a shoe closet in our house.. When we cruised on our own boat, the DH of one of my Friends suggested I use the oven in the boat for some of my shoes., since I never used the oven to cook...LOL I've given up wearing high heels, but also loved all my shoes when I worked.. Will try to cut back on my shoes, on the next cruise, but not that much..

I had 5 pairs on a 24 day cruise and really could have done with 3 if I hadn't gone to the gym. I had two pairs of flats, one pair of sandals, one pair of pewter heels that went with all my cocktail dresses and my running shoes. The running shoes I wore a couple of times and I really resented the space and weight they took up in my suitcase. As to the flats, I could have taken only one pair but I was afraid that I might get blisters and then I would have been in a pickle.

Fortunately we drive to the port,...Not sure that I could do with only one pair of shoes to go with my cocktail dresses.. Might be able to handle only taking six pairs, but certainly not four..

Love it! Well I never had 73 pairs of heels, but DH did build me a shoe closet in our house.. When we cruised on our own boat, the DH of one of my Friends suggested I use the oven in the boat for some of my shoes., since I never used the oven to cook...LOL I've given up wearing high heels, but also loved all my shoes when I worked.. Will try to cut back on my shoes, on the next cruise, but not that much..

Fortunately we drive to the port,...Not sure that I could do with only one pair of shoes to go with my cocktail dresses.. Might be able to handle only taking six pairs, but certainly not four..

Shoes are my biggest weakness, too. I could not imagine only taking 4 pairs. I have never counted how many pairs I have at home, but they do take up an awful lot of room.:o A shoe closet, a shoe organiser in another closet; 2 hanging shoe bags on backs of doors. In fairness, though, there are surely some at the back of the closet I haven't worn in years.

After reading the above posts regarding how many pair's of shoes we have in our closets as well as in our luggage. It brought back memories of my friends always laughing - saying I could literally smell leather anywhere in the world. And, find a place to buy more shoes!:p

LOL! I don't think I'll ever understand the need femmes seem to have for endless shoes. Every femme girlfriend I've EVER had needs an entire suitcase (or two!) just for shoes and purses. Don't get me wrong - I love awesome shoes, but I have never even owned at one time the number that the more "girly" ladies seem to feel is necessary for even a single weekend.

And tell me, please! What part of "you don't need 'cute shoes', and most assuredly not high heels for primitive camping!" does not compute, and how does that translate to, "you only need half a large suitcase full of fancy shoes"? Enquiring (less girly wired) minds want to know!

Ahh well. At least it means a shoe shopping trip is always a gift guaranteed to be met with delight.

Me.. I'm still trying to decide if I can really justify bringing my fancy, patent leather and lace, kitten heeled boots (which are certainly fabulous, but not really necessary) along on my cruise, which would bring my packed shoe count up to 3 pair. ;)

Just to clarify, while it's true that I don't get it, I do not begrudge any of you your love of (lots and lots of) shoes, as long as I don't have to fit them in my gear! My comments here are largely tongue-in-cheek.

And for a bit more humour on the subject...

Shoes

WARNING! Video contains some course language and may be offensive to sensitive viewers.

Edited by Khaos WolfKat

Khaos wolfcat - you have to bring the boots! If you have room, stuff them full of whatever and cram them in a suitcase or your carry-on as they sound fabulous. Wish I was cruising with you!

LOL! See, I knew I'd get encouragement from y'all to bring 'em! ;)

I'm definitely leaning toward yes I already took out my crinolines, one pair of slacks, a skirt and a (nice) jacket, cause I decided on a couple way more versatile items to save space.

If it weren't for my CPAP machine and the fact that I need to bring an entire gallon of distilled water, rather than the small bottle I keep in the CPAP case (cause apparently I can't bring un-sealed liquids on board, even water), I'd be able to fit everything into one suitcase for 2 weeks even WITH bringing the extra boots.

LOL! I don't think I'll ever understand the need femmes seem to have for endless shoes. Every femme girlfriend I've EVER had needs an entire suitcase (or two!) just for shoes and purses. Don't get me wrong - I love awesome shoes, but I have never even owned at one time the number that the more "girly" ladies seem to feel is necessary for even a single weekend.

And tell me, please! What part of "you don't need 'cute shoes', and most assuredly not high heels for primitive camping!" does not compute, and how does that translate to, "you only need half a large suitcase full of fancy shoes"? Enquiring (less girly wired) minds want to know!

Ahh well. At least it means a shoe shopping trip is always a gift guaranteed to be met with delight.

Me.. I'm still trying to decide if I can really justify bringing my fancy, patent leather and lace, kitten heeled boots (which are certainly fabulous, but not really necessary) along on my cruise, which would bring my packed shoe count up to 3 pair. ;)

Just to clarify, while it's true that I don't get it, I do not begrudge any of you your love of (lots and lots of) shoes, as long as I don't have to fit them in my gear! My comments here are largely tongue-in-cheek.

And for a bit more humour on the subject...

Shoes

WARNING! Video contains some course language and may be offensive to sensitive viewers.

The short answer is "need" has nothing to do with it.

Uh huh.. You go right ahead and try and tell that to a woman with a suitcase full of shoes!

I'll be over here, out of firing range! ;) :P

You misinterpreted my post. I have more shoes than Imelda Marcos. Need has nothing to do with it. I just want them. That is what I meant. Speaking for fellow shoeaholics.

If it weren't for my CPAP machine and the fact that I need to bring an entire gallon of distilled water, rather than the small bottle I keep in the CPAP case (cause apparently I can't bring un-sealed liquids on board, even water), I'd be able to fit everything into one suitcase for 2 weeks even WITH bringing the extra boots.

Who told you that? Unless I've missed a policy change, bringing water on board is allowed whether open or closed. On an airplane, no, but on a HAL ship it should be ok.

Who told you that? Unless I've missed a policy change, bringing water on board is allowed whether open or closed. On an airplane, no, but on a HAL ship it should be ok.

Dude with Ship Services said it had to be in the original, sealed container, or dumped out/left ashore. He also advised me I could buy distilled water on board, but I'm not paying a premium price for water my insurance covers at home, of which I have several gallons!

If that is, indeed, NOT the case, I would be very happy to hear it, as I could just pack two 16 oz bottles instead.

You misinterpreted my post. I have more shoes than Imelda Marcos. Need has nothing to do with it. I just want them. That is what I meant. Speaking for fellow shoeaholics.

Well, personally, I agree that it is by no means a "need", but some of the wonderful, lovely, and <insert more flattery here> ladies consider that sort of mutinous talk grounds for keelhauling! ;)

LOL! See, I knew I'd get encouragement from y'all to bring 'em! ;)

I'm definitely leaning toward yes I already took out my crinolines, one pair of slacks, a skirt and a (nice) jacket, cause I decided on a couple way more versatile items to save space.

Heck yes bring the boots!

And start a thread about whether you need to bring your own CPAP water onboard, or if the ship water will work. I think I recall reading a number of people reporting that they use the ship water for their CPAP because it is distilled. But do NOT rely on my memory :D Start a thread and see what others report.

Dude with Ship Services said it had to be in the original, sealed container, or dumped out/left ashore.

The folks in Seattle are notorious for giving out incorrect information. Although I have never tried bringing an open bottle of water on board (too much to carry without it), I have seen people carrying bottles of water, soda, and such.

Have you considered using tap water in your CPAP for the duration of the cruise?

I use distilled in mine at home, but on the ship I just use the tap water. So long as I clean the humidifier, hoses, and nose piece after I come home, it's never been a problem.

Heck yes bring the boots!

And start a thread about whether you need to bring your own CPAP water onboard, or if the ship water will work. I think I recall reading a number of people reporting that they use the ship water for their CPAP because it is distilled. But do NOT rely on my memory :D Start a thread and see what others report.

The folks in Seattle are notorious for giving out incorrect information. Although I have never tried bringing an open bottle of water on board (too much to carry without it), I have seen people carrying bottles of water, soda, and such.

Have you considered using tap water in your CPAP for the duration of the cruise?

I use distilled in mine at home, but on the ship I just use the tap water. So long as I clean the humidifier, hoses, and nose piece after I come home, it's never been a problem.

Any time I've used tap water, or even filtered water, rather than actual distilled water, my allergies have staged a revolt to rival Napoleon and friends! We're talking eyes swollen mostly shut, totally stuffed up nose, and subsequent coughing & sore throat from mouth breathing, in addition to the CPAP not working since I was breathing through my mouth.

Since the water on board is distilled seawater - made to be potable, but not necessarily free from all impurities (which is just fine for drinking) - I'm not comfortable taking that chance. ESPECIALLY since I've been given to understand that they can confine you to your quarters if you show symptoms of illness!

I think I'll call the Access & Compliance department about it in the morning, and if they say I CAN bring the unsealed, small bottles, I'll have them send it to me in writing. Then, if I get a hassle about it, I'll have that to show, and if they don't let it on, I'll pitch a bitch until they give me some for free to replace it.

If they confirm it has to be the original, sealed container, I think what I may do is put the gallon of water in a grocery bag hung on my scooter instead of in a suitcase, and then do some additional paring down of other non-essential items so I can just have the one suitcase and small carry on.

Talking about options more has given me more ideas, as usual, so thanks!

We went the other way.

When we came back from cruises and were unpacking we took note of the items that we never used or used once but did not really need. Over time we simply cut back. We were very happy to take less...found it liberating and it eased our travels considerably.

We started to pack/take only what we could each physically handle and lift. Made a big difference to us but this approach is not for everyone.

I did that as well, and kept track with a list of what we use, and deleted what we don't. Now I have it down pretty well, & tend not to over pack.

I got cold chills reading your post, about being limited on shoes. The horror! I am heavily into pretty sandals, so my shoe collection is thin, light, and plentiful. I bring walking shoes, but always the thin light models, two pairs of heels, and lots of cute sandals.

We were also liveaboard boaters in Alaska for 20 years so I have learned to live the light and fast life. Extra-Tufs and tennis shoes then and that's all that was needed. Now hard aground in Az. so it's sandals, flips and walking shoes. And pedicures of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk