Travelling with teens

lulu_cruising

We will be on Carnival Sunshine in December, first time cruiser, and travelling with our 18 year and 15 year old daughters. I'd like to take them to the comedy club and was wondering if there is an age restriction? I saw somewhere that some of the shows are 18+. How closely do they check ID for this? Yes...I know I should just follow the rules...but I'm just curious. Do they scan your sailing card when you go in?

We will be on Carnival Sunshine in December, first time cruiser, and travelling with our 18 year and 15 year old daughters. I'd like to take them to the comedy club and was wondering if there is an age restriction? I saw somewhere that some of the shows are 18+. How closely do they check ID for this? Yes...I know I should just follow the rules...but I'm just curious. Do they scan your sailing card when you go in?

No, but I gotta tell ya..and this is from someone who cusses like a sailor...the adult comedy shows I went to were even too adult for me..I left.

Have a great cruise! I hear the Sunshine is a fantastic ship! :)

I'm not too concerned about language. Sexual references I'm a little less comfortable with...not for myself, nothing shocks me anymore, but it might make my one daughter uncomfortable. We would just get up and leave if that's the case.

Is it 18+ for the adults only section (serenity) as well?

The 18 year old is fine age wise.

The 15 year old its possible but not likely they would boot her if she was sitting with you.

They don't check ID's.

I wouldn't take my kids to the comedy club (adult) but it's likely you could.

I'm not too concerned about language. Sexual references I'm a little less comfortable with...not for myself, nothing shocks me anymore, but it might make my one daughter uncomfortable. We would just get up and leave if that's the case.

Then sit close to the door because you're going to get up and leave. Just make it easy on you and all of us :D

The adult comedy is all explicit sexual content..that's why I left.

Not sure about the age for serenity.

I have also left the adult comedy because of the sexual jokes. Skip it. I was uncomfortable with just my husband, I would have been mortified if my parents had been there!

And I'm 26 with 2 kids and a healthy sex life so . . . I imagine an 18 & 15 year old would want to die.

I have tried on 3 different Carnival ships to get my 16 and 17 year old in. Twice we just went in and were asked to leave. Once my son said he was 18. They asked for his sail and sign card. Came back and said nope. You're only 17.

I have talked to the manager of the comedy club on 2 different ships. Told them I was fine with them being in there with me. I told them they hear worst than that at school. Neither manager would allow my sons to go in with us.....

Thank you all for the heads up! Perhaps the hubby and I will do a date night and let the kids watch a movie instead!

Wow, 21+ for Serenity. That's too bad, my 18 year old was thinking that she could sit with us while her sister did the ropes course and waterslides. Oh well!

I was on the Splendor last year and attended the 18+ comedy show.. we are 26 and 23 so pretty young on the scale of things.

I would say the humour would be nothing that your teens have not heard already from high school or tv.. so if that is a concern I wouldn't worry about that.

one a second note during my sailing a young looking boy came in with his parents to the show we were at and of course sat right up front.

lets just say this young looking boy (couldn't of been over 14 or 15) became the butt of all of the comedians jokes..

he would say things like ear muffs then point at the kid and proceed with his joke.. nothing too harsh but I could definitely tell the young boy didn't want to be in there hahaha!

They don't actually check IDs. If you aren't making a scene and are just blending in, then your 15 year old daughter won't have a problem.

That being said, they often offer two versions of each show. There is a family-friendly version and a 18+. In my experience, many of the jokes are the same. But some are not. I found the 18+ show a bit much, even for me. I would not recommend them for your daughters. Of course, so much depends on the particular comedian.

I personally would feel uncomfortable with my 15 year old daughter sitting with me during the adult show - they can get pretty raunchy and crude. If you go with the intention to leave if it got too bad please sit near the exit not only would you feel more comfortable leaving but it does not insult the comedian. All the Serenity Decks we have been on have been 21 and is and will be enforced in most cases. They had to set an age (and adhere to it) and it is 21 - I know a lot of 16 year olds are more mature than some 25 year olds but it is what it is. We were looking for a place one time and a couple sitting in a perfect area said that the group next to them had 2 underage kids - I was going to just move on but THEY called over the attendant and pointed it out and the whole family left - giving US the hate stare.

We've taken our older (under 18) kids to the club. Some things flew right over her head. It really depends on which comedian is on. Some do a pretty tame show with very colorful words thown in and others hit very grown-up subjects. At least one was like a Bugs Bunny cartoon--easy to listen to but the innuendos were flying.

If unsure, sit in the back. The worst thing is to be noticed leaving a comedy show, lol.

The arcade games are around 4 tokens each. Virgin drinks are in the $5 range.

Another question: I saw there was an arcade. Is it expensive? I'm trying to budget how much fun money to give them so they can go to the candy store or have shakes, play in the arcade, etc.

I know I might step on a sore spot here but why are you budgeting money for this - they are both at an age where they can contribute their own money to these kind of things. We paid for the air fare, hotels, meals, cruise, excursions etc (and quite gladly) but above and beyond they paid their share - our kids appreciated it so much more when they were a part of it financially and they were much more frugal when it was their money they were spending. Just a suggestion and MY opinion

Adult comedy is 18 and up. Serenity is 21 and up. If there is someone in the audience who is not old enough, the comedians will notice and comment on it. Count on the adult comedy being sexual in nature for sure! Plus, they tend to get a little raunchier if kids are there.

Okay, arcade is out! This cruise is their Christmas gift so I want to make sure they enjoy themselves. I planned on giving them 100$ each for souvenirs and wanted to give them a little something for extras on the ship. Yes, my 18 year old has money she could bring but she starts college next September and we've asked her to keep her earnings in a college fund. My other daughter doesn't work yet so she has no money to bring.

So you don't worry much...I've cruised with my teen boys & they find plenty to do. You won't have to find things for them to do & they may not want to be with you on the ship a lot of the time anyway. They have teen clubs & Carnival ensures they are as entertained as you are. Have rules established, check/ins, some family activities planned, etc. Parent them but allow them to have some fun & some independence. (Mom of teens advice to an awesome cruise for everyone.)

Archived