P&O disappointment at poor treatment to disabled child

Mattymoo2001

Hi,

My husband and I have done 3 previous P&O cruises. Last time my mom and our two children came. We had a site and my mom an inside cabin just outside ours. We were allowed to use the White Room for breakfast and they allowed my mom to dine with us and disembark with our fast pass gold tickets.

Our daughter is eleven years old and disabled and we've just booked to go away next October in a suite on Britannia and also booked a single room for my husbands cousin who lives with us. I asked to get out booking joined and for permission for him to eat breakfast with us and embark and disembark with us. PandO have come back yesterday saying no!

This will mean our family can't dine for breakfast together. Therefore we will have to eat elsewhere which will mean our daughter will have to be in her wheelchair. If we know she hasn't got to stand fir long she can walk and be independent but if she has to queue it will mean using her wheelchair. She wants to be mobile but PandO won't help facilitate. Equally we will have to queue to get off as they will only give us four priority tickets. I find it crazy one person will make no difference but will make a huge difference to or daughters independence and mobility.

We are gutted had plans to take our daughter in the masterclass kitchen and now our ideas are shattered. Shocked that PandO will not consider it a reasonable adjustment for a disabked child. Really tainted my view on the company.

What's your views? Thanks

I think that you might be getting a bit mixed up between P&O and other operators as, for example, P&O don’t have anything called a Fast Pass Gold.

Anyway, as we have used suites on P&O, sometimes take our daughters in an adjacent (non-suite) cabin and my wife is a wheelchair user, I am hopefully well placed to answer your questions which, as I understand it, relate to embarkation, breakfast arrangements and disembarkation.

Before I explain each of the above, can I reassure you that there will be no need for your disabled daughter to have to stand and queue for breakfast or disembarkation.

Embarkation - Suite passengers are allocated priority embarkation at 12.30pm although in reality this can start as early as 11.45am on Britannia. You can link your booking with any non-suite passengers who are travelling with you, but this does not give them an entitlement to priority boarding. Their time is allocated dependent upon which deck they are on. Linking bookings simply ensures that you are allocated the same restaurant and / or sitting for dinner. However, on all 3 occasions that we have taken our daughters when we were in a suite (who were, at the time, aged between 18 and 23 and staying in a non-suite cabin), by showing our e-tickets upon arrival at the terminal all four of us were directed to priority embarkation. You have another option called Assisted Embarkation due to your daughters disability. This is where you wait in a separate area of the terminal and, when your time comes, a wheelchair pusher will be allocated to you and your party will be taken through check-in and onboard together.

Breakfast - The fine dining restaurant (Epicurean on Britannia) is reserved for suite passengers only. If you are travelling with adult companions who are not staying in a suite then they will not be able to breakfast with you if you decide to use it. In my view, this is correct as they have not paid the higher price of a suite (so not paid for the privelige) and the Epicurean has limited capacity. As a result, our daughters tend to do their own thing for breakfast whilst my wife and I use the Epicurean. In your case, if you all wish to breakfast together I would advise that you use the main dining room. The menu is actually far more comprehensive than the Epicurean and it is table service. There will be no need whatsoever for your daughter to have to stand. She can either stay in her wheelchair at the table or transfer to a chair (if she can) and the waiters will look after the wheelchair until you need it. Alternatively, if dining in the Epicurean for breakfast is important to you and there is only one other non-suite passenger travelling with you, I am sure that, if you have a discreet word with the Epicurean Restaurant Manager when on board then I am confident that you will be allowed to dine together. Although our daughters don’t stay in our suite, we tend to use the Epicurean for dinner very early on in the cruise and, as a result, we are asked every morning at breakfast thereafter “where are your beautiful daughters this morning”, so if they had turned up with us it wouldn’t have been queried. We do always take them to the Epicurean on the last morning before disembarkation and this has never been a problem (I just mention it to the manager the previous morning).

Disembarkation - If you use Assisted Disembarkation you will all be able to disembark together. Alternatively, some days before the end of your cruise simply go to reception and ask that you all receive the same disembarkation time. This is a service that P&O offers all passengers, so you are worrying unnecessarily about that. You will all leave the ship together in any scenario.

So, in summary, there are easy ways that you can all board and disembark together, you can all dine together for breakfast in the main dining room and there is never a time that your disabled daughter will have to stand in a queue. Hope that helps.

You have asked for views and this is mine so sorry if you don't like it.

Whilst I have some sympathy for your situation I get the feeling that you see it as your right rather than P&O making a goodwill gesture for your situation.

P&O are not mistreating your child whatsoever and IMO your headline is incorrect and misleading. What they are doing is sticking. perhaps too rigidly, to the bookings that have been made and your husband's cousin is not entitled to the dining and boarding arrangements that you want. I really don't see what your complaint is. That being said I'm sure that once on board you will be able to get the dining arrangements you want as a result of goodwill from P&O but I suggest you may need to consider the way you approach them with your request.

I do not see P&O as discriminating in anyway against your daughter but you may well find on the ground you will resolve the breakfast question. All you will need to do is speak to the Maitre d at Epicurean, they have control of the restaurant and can and do invite people to breakfast service. I was invited as I dined there almost every day but do not travel in a suite, he just popped by my table on evening 2 and asked if I would like to join them in the mornings too. It will be their decision but they are not always at breakfast service so if you decide to do that then best introduce yourselves the first afternoon/evening by popping in and asking them.

Edited by ccpm

I do not see P&O as discriminating in anyway against your daughter but you may well find on the ground you will resolve the breakfast question. All you will need to do is speak to the Maitre d at Epicurean, they have control of the restaurant and can and do invite people to breakfast service. I was invited as I dined there almost every day but do not travel in a suite, he just popped by my table on evening 2 and asked if I would like to join them in the mornings too. It will be their decision but they are not always at breakfast service so if you decide to do that then best introduce yourselves the first afternoon/evening by popping in and asking them.
I think you should retitle your post to 'P&O discriminates against cousin'. But then it wouldn't look as good a title, would it?

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

I would like to think if you all turn up together they would not let you embark all at the same time. As for the breakfast have a word to the restaurant manager, if not eat in the main restaurants which you will all be seated together. I am sorry you did not get the response you hoped you, but hopefully it will be resolved when you get onboard.

I think that you might be getting a bit mixed up between P&O and other operators as, for example, P&O don’t have anything called a Fast Pass Gold.

Anyway, as we have used suites on P&O, sometimes take our daughters in an adjacent (non-suite) cabin and my wife is a wheelchair user, I am hopefully well placed to answer your questions which, as I understand it, relate to embarkation, breakfast arrangements and disembarkation.

Before I explain each of the above, can I reassure you that there will be no need for your disabled daughter to have to stand and queue for breakfast or disembarkation.

Embarkation - Suite passengers are allocated priority embarkation at 12.30pm although in reality this can start as early as 11.45am on Britannia. You can link your booking with any non-suite passengers who are travelling with you, but this does not give them an entitlement to priority boarding. Their time is allocated dependent upon which deck they are on. Linking bookings simply ensures that you are allocated the same restaurant and / or sitting for dinner. However, on all 3 occasions that we have taken our daughters when we were in a suite (who were, at the time, aged between 18 and 23 and staying in a non-suite cabin), by showing our e-tickets upon arrival at the terminal all four of us were directed to priority embarkation. You have another option called Assisted Embarkation due to your daughters disability. This is where you wait in a separate area of the terminal and, when your time comes, a wheelchair pusher will be allocated to you and your party will be taken through check-in and onboard together.

Breakfast - The fine dining restaurant (Epicurean on Britannia) is reserved for suite passengers only. If you are travelling with adult companions who are not staying in a suite then they will not be able to breakfast with you if you decide to use it. In my view, this is correct as they have not paid the higher price of a suite (so not paid for the privelige) and the Epicurean has limited capacity. As a result, our daughters tend to do their own thing for breakfast whilst my wife and I use the Epicurean. In your case, if you all wish to breakfast together I would advise that you use the main dining room. The menu is actually far more comprehensive than the Epicurean and it is table service. There will be no need whatsoever for your daughter to have to stand. She can either stay in her wheelchair at the table or transfer to a chair (if she can) and the waiters will look after the wheelchair until you need it. Alternatively, if dining in the Epicurean for breakfast is important to you and there is only one other non-suite passenger travelling with you, I am sure that, if you have a discreet word with the Epicurean Restaurant Manager when on board then I am confident that you will be allowed to dine together. Although our daughters don’t stay in our suite, we tend to use the Epicurean for dinner very early on in the cruise and, as a result, we are asked every morning at breakfast thereafter “where are your beautiful daughters this morning”, so if they had turned up with us it wouldn’t have been queried. We do always take them to the Epicurean on the last morning before disembarkation and this has never been a problem (I just mention it to the manager the previous morning).

Disembarkation - If you use Assisted Disembarkation you will all be able to disembark together. Alternatively, some days before the end of your cruise simply go to reception and ask that you all receive the same disembarkation time. This is a service that P&O offers all passengers, so you are worrying unnecessarily about that. You will all leave the ship together in any scenario.

So, in summary, there are easy ways that you can all board and disembark together, you can all dine together for breakfast in the main dining room and there is never a time that your disabled daughter will have to stand in a queue. Hope that helps.

A comprehensive answer which anyone in this position should appreciate.

You have asked for views and this is mine so sorry if you don't like it.

Whilst I have some sympathy for your situation I get the feeling that you see it as your right rather than P&O making a goodwill gesture for your situation.

P&O are not mistreating your child whatsoever and IMO your headline is incorrect and misleading. What they are doing is sticking. perhaps too rigidly, to the bookings that have been made and your husband's cousin is not entitled to the dining and boarding arrangements that you want. I really don't see what your complaint is. That being said I'm sure that once on board you will be able to get the dining arrangements you want as a result of goodwill from P&O but I suggest you may need to consider the way you approach them with your request.

If it was me i would explain nicely on board and I'm sure they will try to accommodate and then i would give a nice thank you cash tip.

A fine posting Grapau - agree with what you have said. It's amazing how many of these critical postings and, in this case with a very misleading title, are first time postings on the site.

Thank you.

I have noticed the same thing happening on a few cruiseline sites and invariably the op asks the question then never returns to post again on the thread.

Regards.

Graham.

Thank you.

I have noticed the same thing happening on a few cruiseline sites and invariably the op asks the question then never returns to post again on the thread.

Regards.

Graham.

I’ve noticed that as well which is irritating, especially when you have taken the time to address their points in detail! I take consolation in the fact that in future somebody else with the same questions or concerns, but doesn’t want to post, may find it useful. By the way, thanks for your kind comments regarding my posts on various threads.

I’ve noticed that as well which is irritating, especially when you have taken the time to address their points in detail! I take consolation in the fact that in future somebody else with the same questions or concerns, but doesn’t want to post, may find it useful. By the way, thanks for your kind comments regarding my posts on various threads.

Your welcome,i always enjoy reading your very informative posts which i find very helpful.

Thank you.

A fine posting Grapau - agree with what you have said. It's amazing how many of these critical postings and, in this case with a very misleading title, are first time postings on the site.

...... and there normally isn't a second post from the OP.

...... and there normally isn't a second post from the OP.

You are right, and when the genuine posters reply with fantastic, helpful answers the least they should do is post a simple Thank You for the time and effort taken to give them the best advice.

I am confused about the complaint. The original poster’s daughter is in a suite so will get all the suite perks. Surely that does not depend on having or not having a disability. I would hope P and O would never exclude a disabled person from an amenity they had paid for.

The original poster’s cousin is not in a suite so will not be entitled to the suite perks. Are they disabled? Even if they are disabled does that entitle them to a free upgrade to suite level amenities. I don’t see how the cousin can have any complaint based on they are not disabled and not in a suite.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks all for your comments. Sorry been out Poppy collecting all day. Loads of great suggestions. Last time we cruised on Ventura in a suite & my mom on an inside next door this wasn't a problem, they linked bookings and we all boarded as suite guests & all ate in the White Room for breakfast. When my agent asked this time we were told no definitely not. We all live together and will travel down together in one car and we will be able to board 3 hours before he can! Thanks for advising we can book assistance boarding as this will help as he is also disabled with spinal problems so we probably all can bard together. This is a cruise for his 60th birthday and would have been nice to all eat breakfast, it's unlikely our son will get up for any breakfasts so do you think he'll be able to take his place?

Thanks again great advice I just felt deflated when the agent rang & said no & said we can have a refund! Thanks

Thanks all for your comments. Sorry been out Poppy collecting all day. Loads of great suggestions. Last time we cruised on Ventura in a suite & my mom on an inside next door this wasn't a problem, they linked bookings and we all boarded as suite guests & all ate in the White Room for breakfast. When my agent asked this time we were told no definitely not. We all live together and will travel down together in one car and we will be able to board 3 hours before he can! Thanks for advising we can book assistance boarding as this will help as he is also disabled with spinal problems so we probably all can bard together. This is a cruise for his 60th birthday and would have been nice to all eat breakfast, it's unlikely our son will get up for any breakfasts so do you think he'll be able to take his place?

Thanks again great advice I just felt deflated when the agent rang & said no & said we can have a refund! Thanks

Well done for poppy collecting.

There are some great suggestions so hopefully your family can use some of them and have a great cruise.

So I've read this thread and think everybody's given helpful information.

However I would like to ask the OP how P&O treated the disabled child badly? The title is highly emotive and IMO extremely derogatory about P&O. The complaint actually has nothing to do with how the child was treated and in reality about the OP's dis-satisfaction with P&O policy. This is just another #let'sknockP&O thread

Well done for poppy collecting.

There are some great suggestions so hopefully your family can use some of them and have a great cruise.

Thanks I am the Poppy Organiser for my area so very busy. I was so disappointed when the travel agent called yesterday and was quite negative but all the people on this thread have made me feel it will be ok. We like our daughter to be as mobile as possible and enable her to feel like a normal 11 year old and it seems all will be fine. I'm taking the advice and asking for mobility assistance so we can all stay together. Archie my husbands cousin is disabled with his spine after fracturing it in a military incident so we'll both ask for assistance.

Thanks to everyone feeling more positive

So I've read this thread and think everybody's given helpful information.

However I would like to ask the OP how P&O treated the disabled child badly? The title is highly emotive and IMO extremely derogatory about P&O. The complaint actually has nothing to do with how the child was treated and in reality about the OP's dis-satisfaction with P&O policy. This is just another #let'sknockP&O thread

Hi

I was comparing to my last P&O cruise where they allowed us all to eat together in the white room which you literally walk straight in. The main restaurants had queues which would mean she would have to go in her wheelchair and we like to enable her to be as normal as possible at 11. She has a lot of pain standing and the thought of queueing to get off the ship at each port was a scary one. They allowed my mom to disembark last time with us but this time they've said no and offered a refund.

Felt they didn't want us onboard.

We went to Florida last year and everyone was so accommodating we couldn't fault any part of the holiday or flight.

It's a shame they don't do suites for 6 people we wouldn't have this problem.

Thanks

Hi

I was comparing to my last P&O cruise where they allowed us all to eat together in the white room which you literally walk straight in. The main restaurants had queues which would mean she would have to go in her wheelchair and we like to enable her to be as normal as possible at 11. She has a lot of pain standing and the thought of queueing to get off the ship at each port was a scary one. They allowed my mom to disembark last time with us but this time they've said no and offered a refund.

Felt they didn't want us onboard.

We went to Florida last year and everyone was so accommodating we couldn't fault any part of the holiday or flight.

It's a shame they don't do suites for 6 people we wouldn't have this problem.

Thanks

You do not get priority embarkation at every port just for being in a suite. This only happens on the last day in Southampton and everyone can pick their own time to get off.

Sent from my iPad using Forums