Voom-making phone calls?

Will my texts still come through in Airplane Mode if I have Voom?

Yes Text works.and you can place and receive calls using your plan's minutes but no roaming charge. You just need an internet connection.

I have Verizon and use an iPhone. I used WiFi calling to make and receive calls. I had to have Verizon tech support help with the setup because my account had WiFi calling blocked. After Verizon removed the block, it worked fine with my phone switched to airplane mode. The calls were very clear. I recommend doing the setup ahead of time in case you run into problems.

Yes, if you have successfully enabled WiFI calling.

Yes works for both, texting and calling as long as wifi calling is enabled. Was on the Allure of the Seas in February/March and did it without a problem.

or are on a ship which uses the Royal IQ app, have an iPhone and use iMessage, in which case you don't even need a VOOM package.

Am I correct that is only Harmony, Anthem, Ovation, Quantum? Does RCCL have plans to add other ships?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Am I correct that is only Harmony, Anthem, Ovation, Quantum? Does RCCL have plans to add other ships?

Correct, the Royal IQ App is only on 4 ships. That app is unlikely to be rolled out to any more ships because Royal is now concentrating on a new app called the Royal Caribbean App. Unfortunately, this new app does not yet have texting capability.

And your carrier and phone support wifi calling.

Not all carriers support it. The big ones I know do. T-mobile, ATT, Verizon. Others, I am not sure.

Recent smart phones support wifi calling. Older phones or non-smart phones may not.

Correct, the Royal IQ App is only on 4 ships. That app is unlikely to be rolled out to any more ships because Royal is now concentrating on a new app called the Royal Caribbean App. Unfortunately, this new app does not yet have texting capability.

Thank you

I read an article that eventually the new app will allow you to chat with friends, order drinks, track luggage, book excursions........(put ketchup on your hamburger)........just don’t know when those will go into effect.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you

I read an article that eventually the new app will allow you to chat with friends, order drinks, track luggage, book excursions........(put ketchup on your hamburger)........just don’t know when those will go into effect.

Here's some context - the app launched 9 months ago, has been added to 5 ships but has had no notable features added in that time.

Here's some context - the app launched 9 months ago, has been added to 5 ships but has had no notable features added in that time.

I can get my set sail pass; ship activities; ship layout......about it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 8 months later...
On 5/21/2018 at 7:39 PM, Host Clarea said:

WiFi calling as in using WhatsApp or something like that?  Or is that something enabled thru the carrier?  I called Royal Caribbean and they said texting does not work when you sign up to VOOM.  They said that is something that has to be set up thru the carrier.  For me AT&T.

1 minute ago, Scottpush said:

WiFi calling as in using WhatsApp or something like that?  Or is that something enabled thru the carrier?  I called Royal Caribbean and they said texting does not work when you sign up to VOOM.  They said that is something that has to be set up thru the carrier.  For me AT&T.

To use your native phone calling and texting, the phone and cell plan must support wifi-calling.  Try it at home today.  Enable airplane mode, connect to home wifi.  Can you make calls or send texts?  If not, contact AT&T or go to an AT&T store for assistance.  

WiFi calling with AT&T is between you, ATT, and your phone.  When you enable WiFi calling and log on to VOOM your phone will work just like at home when using WiFi calling.  I have an IPhone 7 and it works perfect.  I was able to call, text, surf, and send photos/videos, even FaceTime.    Just don't try to send to many videos or photos at a time as it will lock up.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

To use your native phone calling and texting, the phone and cell plan must support wifi-calling.  Try it at home today.  Enable airplane mode, connect to home wifi.  Can you make calls or send texts?  If not, contact AT&T or go to an AT&T store for assistance.  

Well thanks for that advice.  I tried what you suggested and it doesn't send or receive texts.  In face on the text I tried to send it shows the message 'waiting for connection'.  Guess I'll call AT&T and see if they can enable that. 

3 minutes ago, Scottpush said:

Well thanks for that advice.  I tried what you suggested and it doesn't send or receive texts.  In face on the text I tried to send it shows the message 'waiting for connection'.  Guess I'll call AT&T and see if they can enable that. 

An AT&T phone will display "AT&T Wi-Fi" when wifi calling is enabled and ready to be used in airplane mode.

I'm at home in airplane mode connected to home Wi-Fi with Wi-Fi calling enabled.  

IMG_0013.jpg.42ddf6b2ba9e5ae5556d288496723c6a.jpg

37 minutes ago, twangster said:

An AT&T phone will display "AT&T Wi-Fi" when wifi calling is enabled and ready to be used in airplane mode.

I'm at home in airplane mode connected to home Wi-Fi with Wi-Fi calling enabled.  

IMG_0013.jpg.42ddf6b2ba9e5ae5556d288496723c6a.jpg

Ok just got off the lengthy person to person chat with an AT&T rep.  They said that if I text over wifi that I will be charged at $2/minute texts and $3/minute phone call.  He was adamant about that.  I can put my phone in airplane mode and turn on wifi but it doesn't display AT&T like you have there.  I wouldn't think this would matter.  Ok, can you text someone on their cell phone regularly w/o using an app like Facetime or Whatsapp?  I can't.  I have tenants and I want them to be able to contact me seamlessly w/o having to use one of these apps. 

Just now, Scottpush said:

Ok just got off the lengthy person to person chat with an AT&T rep.  They said that if I text over wifi that I will be charged at $2/minute texts and $3/minute phone call.  He was adamant about that.  I can put my phone in airplane mode and turn on wifi but it doesn't display AT&T like you have there.  I wouldn't think this would matter.  Ok, can you text someone on their cell phone regularly w/o using an app like Facetime or Whatsapp?  I can't.  I have tenants and I want them to be able to contact me seamlessly w/o having to use one of these apps. 

You confused him when you said "cruise ship".  He is likely referring to cruise ship rates for using the on-board cell tower when your phone in't in airplane mode.

https://www.att.com/offers/international-plans/cruise-packages.html

This is different than wi-fi calling.  Call AT&T back and tell them your cell phone signal is sometimes very weak at home and you want to be able to use wi-fi calling when you are at home.  Or better do you have an AT&T store nearby?  You never know what country to are talking to when calling a call center.  

ATT call center confused?  No way!!!  Trust me it works I have done it at least ten times even in the Maldives last year.  At least five times on cruise ships and 3-4 times at out of country land resorts.  As suggested go into the an ATT store and have them walk you through setting up your phone to do WiFi calling.  If it's an older phone or you have an old ATT calling plan it might not be letting you set it up.  We had the old unlimited data plans and to enable WiFi calling they made me give that up.  

7 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

ATT call center confused?  No way!!!  Trust me it works I have done it at least ten times even in the Maldives last year.  At least five times on cruise ships and 3-4 times at out of country land resorts.  As suggested go into the an ATT store and have them walk you through setting up your phone to do WiFi calling.  If it's an older phone or you have an old ATT calling plan it might not be letting you set it up.  We had the old unlimited data plans and to enable WiFi calling they made me give that up.  

Yeah this has been a trip in itself!  lol.  I went to the local AT&T store and they verified my unlocked Nexus 6P didn't have the capability of wifi calling and they also said it had to be basically an AT&T phone.  They said basically it works with Iphones or Sumsungs.  That's what I thought as I wasn't able to find the capability in the settings.  So, I can either buy a new phone with a plan thru them or get their cruise plan.  Another option is take my old Samsung note 7 to Verizon and have them give me a week contract and do it with them.  Nothings' easy it seems.

Edited by Scottpush

On 5/21/2018 at 6:56 PM, travelinmoma said:

Will my texts still come through in Airplane Mode if I have Voom?

You have to make sure when you put your phone in airplane mode to turn on WiFi.

Notice that my WiFi is off now that I have it in airplane mode.

41A8CA90-80BE-471D-B1DD-9294DF515DF2.jpeg

I just put my phone in airplane mode and tried to text someone with an iPhone which I have and my son who has an android. The iPhone message went through but I had to turn on WiFi calling for my son to receive the text on his phone. My son is home and we are on the same WiFi network and he is on my Verizon plan.

Turned WiFi callig off again and was able to send my son a message through Facebook messenger.  I think I will use this onboard because it seems it won’t need wifi calling and anyone who would need to reach us or that I would need to reach has this set up already.

2 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

FB_IMG_1534001495328.jpg

• Haha 1