Happy Happy Happy!

Just wanted to share:

After almost 1 year of booking the Grandeur, I checked EVERY SINGLE DAY (sometimes twice a day) for an accessible cabin to open up. Knowing it would never happen, as the Grandeur has very few of them.

This morning at 4am, I check and OMG....one is available! Tried calling the 1-800 number and get a recording to call back at 9am. :(:o I have FIVE hours of sweating it out, praying no one would book it on the website.

9am, on the dot, I call. Keep in mind, this is a lateral move. The man I dealt with, tried charging me $561 additional (today's price)....ummmm NO, I am not upgrading, I am just changing cabins. After much ado, I asked to speak to a supervisor. Of course I was right.

I am just sooooo happy my husband doesn't have to "break down" my scooter every time we go in and out of my cabin and that there is more room for me to park it!!!!

Moral of the story? Never give up! :D

Just wanted to share:

After almost 1 year of booking the Grandeur, I checked EVERY SINGLE DAY (sometimes twice a day) for an accessible cabin to open up. Knowing it would never happen, as the Grandeur has very few of them.

This morning at 4am, I check and OMG....one is available! Tried calling the 1-800 number and get a recording to call back at 9am. :(:o I have FIVE hours of sweating it out, praying no one would book it on the website.

9am, on the dot, I call. Keep in mind, this is a lateral move. The man I dealt with, tried charging me $561 additional (today's price)....ummmm NO, I am not upgrading, I am just changing cabins. After much ado, I asked to speak to a supervisor. Of course I was right.

I am just sooooo happy my husband doesn't have to "break down" my scooter every time we go in and out of my cabin and that there is more room for me to park it!!!!

Congratulations. I know the feeling, I have to book 18 months in advance to get a H/C cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just wanted to share:

Good for you - that is true you need to keep checking. Enjoy your cruise!

Congrats Just for future reference if you pick the prompt for a new reservation on the 866-562-7625 you will get someone. They are there 24/7 If you say you want to service an existing reservation the system says they open at 9am

Congrats Just for future reference if you pick the prompt for a new reservation on the 866-562-7625 you will get someone. They are there 24/7 If you say you want to service an existing reservation the system says they open at 9am

OMG....I SWEATED FOR 5 HOURS FOR NOTHING???? Lol..thank you for this info! Now I know.

Congrats!! I am assuming it is just before your final payment date? That seems to be when more cabin choices open up due to pax "bailing out" to avoid penalty on cruises they really had no concrete plan to take. :o:confused:

My final is in a couple of weeks, and after checking daily for months ...was finally able to get out of that dreaded connecting cabin to a non-connecting cabin. Yaaahh!! :D

Congrats!! I am assuming it is just before your final payment date? That seems to be when more cabin choices open up due to pax "bailing out" to avoid penalty on cruises they really had no concrete plan to take. :o:confused:

My final is in a couple of weeks, and after checking daily for months ...was finally able to get out of that dreaded connecting cabin to a non-connecting cabin. Yaaahh!! :D

Thank you!!!! Congrats to you too! Ahhhhh....that makes sense. I think it is right around final payment. :cool:

Thank you!!!! Congrats to you too! Ahhhhh....that makes sense. I think it is right around final payment. :cool:

Yup, that makes sense and is quite typical. Quite frustrating when pax book cabins on "markers" which keeps them out of inventory for those of us that book a cruise to actually take the cruise. :( Pays to keep checking indeed. :)

Yup, that makes sense and is quite typical. Quite frustrating when pax book cabins on "markers" which keeps them out of inventory for those of us that book a cruise to actually take the cruise. :( Pays to keep checking indeed. :)

That is a little cynical. I think people want to take their cruise, but things just happen. I know.. because it has happened to me.

OP - That is wonderful - Glad you got that cabin, and glad you got past that res agent who didn't understand what they were doing.

That is a little cynical. I think people want to take their cruise, but things just happen. I know.. because it has happened to me.

Then of course you had good reason to cancel, and has happened to many more pax then just yourself.

But there ARE pax that actually DO book cruises as "markers" (yes, they even having a name for what they do) to shuffle cruises around...keeping their OBC and transferring before having to pay a penalty for canceling before final payment. This type of canceling is what is annoying to many of us, with those cabins not in inventory until the end. This is also the reason RCI came up with the discounted "non-refundable" fares.

And I did say "when pax book cruises on markers"...not all pax. Not cynical...truth. Understand now? :confused:

Edited by island lady

Then of course you had good reason to cancel, and has happened to many more pax then just yourself.

But there ARE pax that actually DO book cruises as "markers" (yes, they even having a name for what they do) to shuffle cruises around...keeping their OBC and transferring before having to pay a penalty for canceling before final payment. This type of canceling is what is annoying to many of us, with those cabins not in inventory until the end. This is also the reason RCI came up with the discounted "non-refundable" fares.

And I did say "when pax book cruises on markers"...not all pax. Not cynical...truth. Understand now? :confused:

I understand. I just do not think it is as big a problem as folks here think, and/or the cruise line portray. Working in cruise line reservations for many years, and this was never an issue. Of course it has been a while since then, however would have been much easier to do back then, and yet - we never heard of such a thing.

I mean it is not out of the realm of possibility to think that the cruise line just alludes to this, to pacify people - when they are really just looking to find a way to make more money.

Just another note as well - I only book refundable, and there is usually a difference of $15-$50 dollars on the sailings that I have booked. Not sure how that would deter? Also, you can convert to non refundable just before final, and take the lower rate if there is one offered. Which there has been, on two of mine.

OMG....I SWEATED FOR 5 HOURS FOR NOTHING???? Lol..thank you for this info! Now I know.

Yes, I'm afraid so. Always choose "book a new cruise" and someone will answer. They will still help you when they discover that you do NOT want to book a new cruise. ;) :D