Truth in reporting about Splendor

pastorpwally

Hello All, I am brand new to this board so please forgive any blunders! I got so upset with all the negative sensationalistic reporting that it drove me to post...lol!! But seriously, after reading John Heald's blog entries on the true story of the Splendor incident (what a terrific sense of humor he has) and comparing it to the stories we are seeing online and in print I believe some are trying to smudge Carnival's name for the benefit of future litagation. In my opinion, this incident should only serve to increase respect for CCL in the fact that no one was injured and the situation was handled with the upmost care and professionalism. One must always remember that regardless of how big or well appointed, all ocean passenger vessels are mechanical in nature and therefore subject to the occasional; no better yet, rare failure. I must admit I am a paranoid cruiser. I always make sure my two teenagers and wife put on and adjust the straps accordingly on thier life jackets, even though you dont need to take them out now. I make sure that they know exactly which direction to turn out of our stateroom in order to reach the closest stair case. I even make them keep a set of shoes under thier beds just in case we get called to the muster stations. Am I nuts? I dont think so. I just understand that even though cruise ships are huge, we are just a blip in the ocean while on the high seas. Yes, I am the annoying guy who shushes people during the safety drill. Do you think people would listen if the safety talk at the beginning of your flight involved instructions on the use of parachutes? Carnival has broken ground in safey innovations on ships, and deserves so much better than the shellacking they are taking in the media. Cruising is subject to the same law as all life; accidents happen. So, take some advice from a former boy scout-be prepared;)

Most people do pretty much blow off the muster drill and think it is simply a pain in the butt. I have no problem with doing the drill. Do I like it no, but do I think it is needed and a good idea, yes. As for what happened last week. I don't believe half of what was said on the news, but I don't believe everything said by

Carnival and John either. Everyone puts their own twist on things. We are still very much looking forward to our next cruise. But know that things can happen at any time. I would much rather pay for all our cruises than to get a free one by having something happen.

After 17 cruises, the muster drill is boring and old hat, but I always pay attention and stay quiet for those who have never done this before. It IS important to everyone on board and everyone needs to know what to do and where to go in an actual emergency. My biggest beef about these drills is that when those passengers who have no respect for others in the drill continue to talk, move about and generally be disruptive, the crew basically does nothing to control order. Guests should not have to ask other guests to quieten down.

As for being prepared, I check before going to bed to be sure that we can put our hands on a robe and shoes and try to have something out to throw on in case of an emergency. I pack a flashlight as well and carry one of those wallets that go around your neck, under clothing. I put our money, credit cards, and passports in it and put it in the safe. Before going to bed, I open the safe so I can grab that wallet and throw it around my neck in case we need to evacuate.

Having been indirectly involved in a newsworthy incident earlier this year, I was quite amazed just how wrong it was reported, both on the news and on TV.

Incorrect basic facts, and augmentations just to juice the story up. It's no wonder network news and newpapers are a dying breed.

After 17 cruises, the muster drill is boring and old hat, but I always pay attention and stay quiet for those who have never done this before. It IS important to everyone on board and everyone needs to know what to do and where to go in an actual emergency. My biggest beef about these drills is that when those passengers who have no respect for others in the drill continue to talk, move about and generally be disruptive, the crew basically does nothing to control order. Guests should not have to ask other guests to quieten down.

As for being prepared, I check before going to bed to be sure that we can put our hands on a robe and shoes and try to have something out to throw on in case of an emergency. I pack a flashlight as well and carry one of those wallets that go around your neck, under clothing. I put our money, credit cards, and passports in it and put it in the safe. Before going to bed, I open the safe so I can grab that wallet and throw it around my neck in case we need to evacuate.

Smart idea about the safe never thought of that one!

Have never worried about our safety on a ship and will not start worrying now.

It is sad how badly the media will misinform us and slant stories according to their point of view.

Make you wonder what they teach in journalism schools.

Hello All, I am brand new to this board so please forgive any blunders! I got so upset with all the negative sensationalistic reporting that it drove me to post...lol!! But seriously, after reading John Heald's blog entries on the true story of the Splendor incident (what a terrific sense of humor he has) and comparing it to the stories we are seeing online and in print I believe some are trying to smudge Carnival's name for the benefit of future litagation. In my opinion, this incident should only serve to increase respect for CCL in the fact that no one was injured and the situation was handled with the upmost care and professionalism. One must always remember that regardless of how big or well appointed, all ocean passenger vessels are mechanical in nature and therefore subject to the occasional; no better yet, rare failure. I must admit I am a paranoid cruiser. I always make sure my two teenagers and wife put on and adjust the straps accordingly on thier life jackets, even though you dont need to take them out now. I make sure that they know exactly which direction to turn out of our stateroom in order to reach the closest stair case. I even make them keep a set of shoes under thier beds just in case we get called to the muster stations. Am I nuts? I dont think so. I just understand that even though cruise ships are huge, we are just a blip in the ocean while on the high seas. Yes, I am the annoying guy who shushes people during the safety drill. Do you think people would listen if the safety talk at the beginning of your flight involved instructions on the use of parachutes? Carnival has broken ground in safey innovations on ships, and deserves so much better than the shellacking they are taking in the media. Cruising is subject to the same law as all life; accidents happen. So, take some advice from a former boy scout-be prepared;)

First of all welcome to the board, and if I might say, a great first post. I think you will find most here echo your thoughts.

Everyone I've spoken to, both here, and elsewhere.....have nothing but praise for Carnival and the way they handled the Splendor situation. I believe most (except for those who can't seem to wrap their arms around the fact that Carnival is very, very good at what they do) here feel the same way.

Bravo! I e-mailed Carnival to tell them how proud I was of them and maybe others should do that too. Got a nice reply thanking me for taking the time to comment.

Have you noticed lately that every event...."Blizzard of...Monster Storm." They just LOVE sensationalism! If I want distorted facts I buy supermarket rags not the daily newspaper. :rolleyes:

Have never worried about our safety on a ship and will not start worrying now.

It is sad how badly the media will misinform us and slant stories according to their point of view.

Make you wonder what they teach in journalism schools.

I work at a college that has a journalism department. Facts are not needed anymore. The students are taught the opinions that the professors have.

I work at a college that has a journalism department. Facts are not needed anymore. The students are taught the opinions that the professors have.

Sad that youngsters are not taught to think for themselves but that professors think they should indoctrinate the students to their point of view.

Oh well another 20 years or so these so called journalists will need to find new careers when the daily rags go out of business.

A lot of what I saw was just plan sloppy.

"The Ship was headed for Acapulco"

"They've been without hot meals for the better part of two days" - this the morning of the arrival in S.D. -- the start of the fourth day.

Other small things that experienced cruises knew to be wrong or incomplete.

I saw a maritime attorney -- and he actually said the only reason Carnival (and all others) have foreign flags is to avoid U.S. safety regulations and inspections. He didn't mention the the Coast Guard had just inspected the Splendor on Sunday or anything about SOLAS requirements or CDC inspections. He made it sound like they didn't need to answer to anyone but Noriega's brother in law. :mad: -- it really pissed me off, because he sounded like he was telling the truth and the reporter was lapping it up.

Welcome to CC and thank you for a wonderful first post!

I echo the post on the weather. Being in Va. Beach we have the weather peeps talking about a storm hitting us 12 days out. It goes on and on. Living here most of my life I have learned we get the bad storms when they say we are not getting a thing.

Now we are off to Florida to retire and listen to them for a bit.:D

Most people do pretty much blow off the muster drill and think it is simply a pain in the butt. I have no problem with doing the drill. Do I like it no, but do I think it is needed and a good idea, yes. As for what happened last week. I don't believe half of what was said on the news, but I don't believe everything said by

Carnival and John either. Everyone puts their own twist on things. We are still very much looking forward to our next cruise. But know that things can happen at any time. I would much rather pay for all our cruises than to get a free one by having something happen.

I too hate that Muster drill but we go, stand packed like sardines, sweating our a-- off so that incase (that 1 in a million chance) that we need to board those rescue boats that we know what to do. In all the years Carnival would have never thought that there was a chance that passengers might have to take to the rescue boats but you just never know when you will go into emergency status. Thank god they didnt have to get into them( some might have preferred to) but at least they were prepared if they needed to. I think we all get in that vacation mode and forget we are a vessel on the high seas and as we saw with Splendor, anything can happen. yep I will be packed in, sweathing my a-- off in 4 weeks when we board Victory....and Im happy to do it!

Im with you on paying for my cruise also...its one thing to be stranded a few hrs in an airport for a free flight voucher but to be stuck on a ship for days like they were, no thanks! Those who know Carnival will not hesitate to book with them again, yep there will be those few who complain and try to smear their name but in a few weeks this will all be over and old news and folks will continue to book and enjoy the great service that Carnival is known for.

Already have my flashlight packed for my next cruise....until splendor I would have never even thought of it

Grammar, punctuation and spelling is all now days. Ethics was dropped due to budgetary reasons. ;)

I don't believe they are even teaching that. I am amazed at the amount of mistakes I see in news articles these days. It's one thing for your average Joe Schmo to make errors when using the written word, but anyone who makes a living by writing should be able to spell and use proper grammar and punctuation. I see errors of BASIC English (forget anything complex, many journalists don't seem to care) constantly in the news nowadays. And ethics? Forget it. In the old days, reporters were expected to have confirmation of facts from at least one other source. I lost count of how many times I've read about the Splendor incident where the reporter states that the passengers had "nothing else" to eat besides Spam and Pop tarts.

Hello All, I am brand new to this board so please forgive any blunders! I got so upset with all the negative sensationalistic reporting that it drove me to post...lol!! But seriously, after reading John Heald's blog entries on the true story of the Splendor incident (what a terrific sense of humor he has) and comparing it to the stories we are seeing online and in print I believe some are trying to smudge Carnival's name for the benefit of future litagation.

Wait ... what? How would a newspaper benefit of future litigation? Or are you saying that the newpapers are just reporting what other eye-witnesses who are hell-bent on litigation are saying?

I find it ironic that so many people are discussing journalistic ethics and then pointing to the statements of a public-facing employee of the line in question as being impeachable. I wonder if any of you are actually familiar wtih the concept of "journalistic ethics", or if you just want so badly to buy into the "JH is infallible, CCL are heroes, kumbaya, coke-and-a-smile" line that you're simply overlooking facts as opposed to displaying a certain bias.

I, for one, feel even safer crusing with Carnival than I ever have before, if only for the simple fact that there were no injuries or fatalities from the Carnival Splendor incident (although I believe there were 2 instances of panic attack reported).

It truly speaks to the training and professionalism of their employees and crew.

We cruise in under 3 weeks and, while I will now pack an extra penlight or two just in case, I'm going to make sure to pay extra-attention to the Muster Drill. :D

We cruise in under 3 weeks and, while I will now pack an extra penlight or two just in case, I'm going to make sure to pay extra-attention to the Muster Drill. :D

If CCL has learned anything, you wouldn't have to, as they would be simply another item in a desk drawer.

I too hate that Muster drill but we go, stand packed like sardines, sweating our a-- off so that incase (that 1 in a million chance) that we need to board those rescue boats that we know what to do. In all the years Carnival would have never thought that there was a chance that passengers might have to take to the rescue boats but you just never know when you will go into emergency status. Thank god they didnt have to get into them( some might have preferred to) but at least they were prepared if they needed to. I think we all get in that vacation mode and forget we are a vessel on the high seas and as we saw with Splendor, anything can happen. yep I will be packed in, sweathing my a-- off in 4 weeks when we board Victory....and Im happy to do it!

Im with you on paying for my cruise also...its one thing to be stranded a few hrs in an airport for a free flight voucher but to be stuck on a ship for days like they were, no thanks! Those who know Carnival will not hesitate to book with them again, yep there will be those few who complain and try to smear their name but in a few weeks this will all be over and old news and folks will continue to book and enjoy the great service that Carnival is known for.

One small comment on muster drill (and I echo your other comments). The Splendor cruise to nowhere was our first cruise, and I dreaded muster drill. I knew we had to go, right, but I told my husband that we couldnt be the first down there or we would be sweaty and packed like sardines. Well, he doesn't listen and we go anyway, and stand there and wait right. Well, first off, yes we waited for at least 15 minutes while the crew members got in place and everyone showed up. We were lucky and on deck 4 right near the doors with the open ocean breeze pouring in, so many people were cold lol. I was fine. I actually facebooked one post right before muster started and a friend replied I should pay attention lol. I did. And boy am I glad. We never needed to go there, but should we have, I would have known exactly where to go, and what to do.

Always pack a flashlight, pay attention to muster and dont get so drunk that you cant evacuate.

Archived