cozumel

tulip7

Any ideas about things to do on Cozumel? Little afraid of wondering alone as we are women in our 60s.

If you plan on visiting the Mayan ruins on the mainland, I'd suggest taking a Princess excursion. Sometimes the ferries are delayed...

If you plan on visiting the Mayan ruins on the mainland, I'd suggest taking a Princess excursion. Sometimes the ferries are delayed...

That's very true. Last November we were on such an excursion and returned over an hour late. We were happy to see the ship was waiting for us.

We were on the Ruby in Feb. and took the Princess excursion to a private island. It was wonderful it included a barbecue buffet lunch and drinks. The were lounge chairs to sit under the trees. Very relaxing day.

Any ideas about things to do on Cozumel? Little afraid of wondering alone as we are women in our 60s.
There is plenty of shopping in a cruise tourist area right at the pier, if that is your interest. If being on a beach and/or shore snorkeling is your interest, then there are beach resorts just down the coast from the pier, and cab rides are inexpensive. The resorts have a lot of cruise customers, so little worry about being isolated.

For all else we have used Princess Excursions, and would highly recommend use of one for an all day tour.

Edited by Times Prince

Also, wear your good walking shoes and a hat (and take bug spray).....we did Coba ruins and it is a good 2 mile walk through uneven terrain just to get to the ruins (there is also the option to be chauffeured by bike for a minimal feel - they are riding the bike, you are in a small seated area). Also note that it will take your ENTIRE day...so no additional sites to see :-( Have fun!!!

Coz is very tourist friendly and as safe as anywhere you will find among the Caribbean ports. As Coz is an island most of the activities revolve around the beach and the ocean.

How about a relaxing, all-inclusive day at the beach? Nachi Cocom is an often suggested beach club - never crowded (limited to 100 guests per day) with a small pool, nice beach area, lots of shade, great service and wonderful food and drinks -- all for about $55 each.

Question, new to this, posting and cruising.

Since the cruise ship have some of the excursions locked up so they can get a peice of the money, making some things out of my reach, like the royal dolphin swim. Is it feasible or realistic to book a local hotel for the night. (like maybe a hostel) and then book via your hotel reservation to get the cheaper rate for the excursion?

Question, new to this, posting and cruising.

Since the cruise ship have some of the excursions locked up so they can get a peice of the money, making some things out of my reach, like the royal dolphin swim. Is it feasible or realistic to book a local hotel for the night. (like maybe a hostel) and then book via your hotel reservation to get the cheaper rate for the excursion?

You should not need to book the local hotel, just list a big, local tourist hotel instead of the cruise line and you should be fine.

Some have suggested that when you follow this method you should not bring your cruise ship towels - I am not sure anyone at the ticket office is looking that closely. :confused:

Cozumel is a wonderful destination for tourists. The town is very tourist friendly, a lot of fun to wander, with plenty of food/drink and shopping. Day or night, I've never felt unsafe in Cozumel. It's one of the least crime ridden places in Mexico! I was there in Dec. with 2 other gals and our ship didn't depart until 10 pm. We felt completely safe and comfortable wandering the town at night. We had a BLAST!

That being said, anothe option (other than the beach clubs listed if you just want to hang out for the day) is the Cozumel Bar Hop Bus. It's an airconditioned van or bus (depending on how many people they have signed up) with a guide that takes you to 4 or 5 beach bar/restaurants on the East (Wild) side of the island. If you envision yourself having guacamole and chips with a margarita in hand, overlooking white sand beaches and beautiful bright blue water.....this is it. You have about 50 minutes at each stop and there's plenty of time for eating, having a drink and wandering the beach at each place. Really fun! You will also bond with your fellow "hoppers", which can make it just that much more fun.

On our last trip there, (our first time hopping) my husband, leaning back with his feet up on a rail and a cold beer in his hand said, "Even if you don't drink....I would recommend this tour to anyone". We really had a good time, got to see part of the island with few tourists and had some awesome food and oceanviews!!