Eggs with Brown Shells

miched

I grew up in Boston. Brown eggs were the norm.

I now live ion NJ. White eggs are the norm.

Taste the same. Brown eggs have thicker shells.

Why do you care?

This is good to know for the egg drop or egg throwing contest. Will have to be sure to use brown eggs.

Then for egging someone or something it would make sense to use white eggs as they will be sure to break.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

as someone who works in the egg industry I can tell you there is no nutrtiional difference nor is the shell thicker , brown eggs cost more because the brown bird laying strains are generally larger heavier birds and eat more feed and thus the farmer is paid a premium to compensate (lay a bit less as well), there is the same amount of shell on a small egg as an XL egg so as the chichen gets older and lays larger eggs the shell gets thinner as it has to cover a larger area so a small egg will have a thicker shell than a larger egg, feed will affect the yolk colour , here in eastern Canada we feed a mostly corn based feed as there is more corn here which gives a nice yellow colour (6-7 on the scale) in the west were wheat is more abundant the feed is more wheat based and the yolks are much paler (4-5 on the scale) - flax seed is feed to produce the omega egg and a marigold extract in the flax feed is feed for an omega plus lutein egg which has a much darker orangish yolk (10-12 on the scale) . free range (not free run) chickens will produce a darker yolk as well as they will eat the bugs and things outside , free run do not go outside so yolk will be a normal colour, breed type and genitics determine egg colour as not all white chickens will lay wite eggs and not all brown chickens lay brown eggs , you can generally tell what colour eggs a chicken will lay by it's ear colour, so if you see a brown chicken breed with a white(ish) ear it will lay white eggs , of coarse there are a few exceptions to this rule but...

Regarding the white vs brown shells, no comment.

Regarding which came first... the chicken or the egg, the Smithsonian solved that years ago.

Problem Solved: The Egg Came First: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/problem-solved-the-egg-came-first-6910803/?no-ist=

Now, on to the more complex question...

If oranges smell like chicken, why are tomatoes blue?

Think about it!

Regarding the white vs brown shells, no comment.

Regarding which came first... the chicken or the egg, the Smithsonian solved that years ago.

Problem Solved: The Egg Came First: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/problem-solved-the-egg-came-first-6910803/?no-ist=

Now, on to the more complex question...

If oranges smell like chicken, why are tomatoes blue?

Think about it!

I think that the chicken had to come before there was a egg. :D So actually the chicken got l..d first instead of the egg, otherwise there wouldn't be a fertile egg. ;)

Happy cruisng 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I'm too chicken to stop reading this thread. I tried to gradually feather away from it, but it was spur of the moment decision. I hope I don't raise any hackles with my desire to comb through this tread in it's entirety. I need to accept the reality that I might have to claw my way through more and more egg related information. I have decided to face the situation instead of tailing behind it. I will toe the line, and continue to wing it. I'm not a breast thumping, thigh slapping egg fanatic. I just like to smell eggs cooking with my beak when they are frying up in a pan.

That's enough for now. Can't figure out how to work "wattles" into this post. Oops, I guess I just did! :D

label-chicken-body-part-with-words-parts-of-chicken-2.gif

Edited by SantaFeFan

With all of the other threads where posters have requests, concerns, and preferences wondering if Celebrity offers it or can make a exeception just for them here is mine. :D

I like the yokes from eggs with brown shells and whites from eggs with white egg shells, pyschological hang up that just makes sense to me.

Does Celebrity have both colored eggs so I can have a omelette made using them?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

l

Literally, holy cow (or chicken):rolleyes:

Psychological maybe, logical not. Are you truly kidding or not? You must not eat out regardless of cruise or not?

That's enough for now. Can't figure out how to work "wattles" into this post. Oops, I guess I just did! :D

Please use correct spelling.

This is a Celebrity forum, after all.

The appropriate word to use here is waffles (not wattles).;)

not to hijack this post but what about the toothpicks on board? Do they have both the flat ones that are less sharp at the ends as well as the round pointy ones that "you could take your eye out" with? And do the frou fru drinks have umbrellas on the ends of toothpicks? IF they have both kinds can anyone tell me in which ares of the ship I can find each. Also, if I pay an upcharge for a meal in say Bistro on 5 or a speciality restaurant can I take more that one toothpick at a time? Yes I know that I can bring my own toothpicks onboard but that doen't help anyone else who might want to have the info requested.

I am in the process of preparing to leave driving to Fl for two cruises. The first is a warm up on a 5 day Princess cruise and then on to the 14 day Eclipse cruise.

On the first morning on the Eclipse I am thinking about when having breakfast in Blu to ask uCaptain Kirk or Felix if they are still serving there for a omlette with whites from a white shelled egg and the yoke from a brown one. 😃

Will probably not be as active on the forum and would like to thank everyone that took the time to read my "very serious question" :rolleyes: :D and respond.

I never thought that it would turn out to be as amusing and funny as it has become plus be a thread for the members to demonstrate their creativity and share their vast knowledge of chickens, eggs, cows and etc. I will now be expecting many intelligent conversations with my fellow cruise critic members when sitting at a bar or during the happy hours. 🍸

It is nice to be able to have a civil intellegent thread where there is no flaming and everyone can have some fun with no right or wrong opinion and if it "wrong" it is on purpose to add to the humor and entice more discussion.

I have a few more serious topics for threads but I don't think that they are worthy enough at this time for the members of this forum. I will need to do some fine tuning and brain picking during my cruises to bring them up to your level.

Hope everyone is still enjoying this and that it will continue to brighten up your day.

Happy cruisng 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

PS Hopefully will meet some of you on the Eclipse. I am easy to spot. Just look for the woman that is walking next to me sighing, rolling her eyes and shaking her head. I think it is a nervous condition as she has been doing that for the 50 years that we have been together.

On the first morning on the Eclipse I am thinking about when having breakfast in Blu to ask uCaptain Kirk or Felix if they are still serving there for a omlette with whites from a white shelled egg and the yoke from a brown one. .....

Do you mean Neelix the Telaxian Cook on Voyager? - I am sure he could whip you up a real egg treat! :D

Not aware of a Felix on Enterprise with Captain Kirk.... Enjoy your trip!

I am in the process of preparing to leave driving to Fl for two cruises. The first is a warm up on a 5 day Princess cruise and then on to the 14 day Eclipse cruise.

On the first morning on the Eclipse I am thinking about when having breakfast in Blu to ask uCaptain Kirk or Felix if they are still serving there for a omlette with whites from a white shelled egg and the yoke from a brown one. 😃

Will probably not be as active on the forum and would like to thank everyone that took the time to read my "very serious question" :rolleyes: :D and respond.

I never thought that it would turn out to be as amusing and funny as it has become plus be a thread for the members to demonstrate their creativity and share their vast knowledge of chickens, eggs, cows and etc. I will now be expecting many intelligent conversations with my fellow cruise critic members when sitting at a bar or during the happy hours. 🍸

It is nice to be able to have a civil intellegent thread where there is no flaming and everyone can have some fun with no right or wrong opinion and if it "wrong" it is on purpose to add to the humor and entice more discussion.

I have a few more serious topics for threads but I don't think that they are worthy enough at this time for the members of this forum. I will need to do some fine tuning and brain picking during my cruises to bring them up to your level.

Hope everyone is still enjoying this and that it will continue to brighten up your day.

Happy cruisng 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

PS Hopefully will meet some of you on the Eclipse. I am easy to spot. Just look for the woman that is walking next to me sighing, rolling her eyes and shaking her head. I think it is a nervous condition as she has been doing that for the 50 years that we have been together.

Wishing you two wonderful cruises - pre-game and the "real deal"! Am sure you'll bring as much enjoyment to your fellow cruisers as you have to us here during the past few fun days!:D

not to hijack this post but what about the toothpicks on board? Do they have both the flat ones that are less sharp at the ends as well as the round pointy ones that "you could take your eye out" with? And do the frou fru drinks have umbrellas on the ends of toothpicks? IF they have both kinds can anyone tell me in which ares of the ship I can find each. Also, if I pay an upcharge for a meal in say Bistro on 5 or a speciality restaurant can I take more that one toothpick at a time? Yes I know that I can bring my own toothpicks onboard but that doen't help anyone else who might want to have the info requested.

Here we are, having a nice discussion about the EGG and someone wants to talk tootpicks...

Your first 5 words should tell you to start a new thread.

You are not supposed to use tootpicks in your eye or they'd be called eyepicks ...

Edited by SC_Floaters
Additional Message Text Added

Back almost fifty years ago while I was in high school, I worked at a chicken farm. All of the chickens in the hatchery gave brown eggs. I learned from the farmer that brown eggs indeed have the same nutritional value as white eggs.

My job was to shovel for a dollar an hour. Can you see a young person working for those wages today?? You can probably guess what I had to shovel. The egg farm had twenty thousand chickens at a time that they would raise from chicks. When they were sent off to market, all of the hen houses had to be shoveled out by hand. The sawdust was brown, but what was on top was white and with twenty thousand chickens, there was a great deal of white!;)

Here we are, having a nice discussion about the EGG and someone wants to talk tootpicks...

Your first 5 words should tell you to start a new thread.

You are not supposed to use tootpicks in your eye or they'd be called eyepicks ...

actually it was tootHpicks no tootpicks. My first 5 words ( or so i was told) were Mama, Papa, Grandma, Grandpa, and OK. I did know a guy who invented an instrument that was a cross between a guitar and a trumpet. Now HE coulda used a "tootpic"!