Has anyone returned from Cuba via Royal Carribean?

girlofthewest

Really??!! Please give specific examples. Sounds like just your opinion. Not right to post unsubstantiated things like this that just cause fear, so please cite specific examples of people who have been prosecuted.

Zachary Sanders $6500

No OFAC form, entered through a third country, 14 years in court, apples and oranges. Slightly more likely to be prosecuted than to be hit by lightning.

I had a feeling that this person wasn't a recent cruiseline passenger who was prosecuted for not taking a ship tour. Very deceptive.

We have a group of 11 going on the Majesty to Cuba (day trip) in October. Most of us booked this cruise in May, 2017 but have a couple of others who recently booked with us. So, for peace of mind, we chose to book the Classic Car Tour via the ship. It's a 5-hour tour and then will be able to walk around on our own after the tour. The cars cost us $275 for the car which will hold up to 3 guests, so around $100pp including tip. I know others won't agree but, for us and no worries, we decided to do it. I am just hoping that our Prez doesn't decide to restrict us from going to Cuba at all!!:eek: He does seem pretty darn quick to react badly at times!:rolleyes: Let's all just agree to disagree, and all of you have some good arguments. It just boils down to, do what is best and stress-free for you!!;)

We took the Royal Caribbean cruise to Cuba in November. The cruise presentation on excursions pretty much told us , "this is the rule, but do what you want." We took the Classic Car Tour and were very disappointed. The driver spoke no English at all, so we saw a lot of stuff, but know nothing about any of it. If you want to stay within the letter of the law, take the very cheapest excursion offered by the cruise and then do whatever else you want. The cruise staff said that once you completed your tour, you were free to explore on your own and come and go as you pleased. Of course, you do have to purchase a visa to enter Cuba. We came back to the ship after our Classic Car Tour and had lunch on the ship and then went back out for walking around and shopping on our own. There are tons of classic car taxis around and you would have the ability to choose the car and driver you want and negotiate the length and price of your tour. We heard other passengers raving about the great ride they had for $50.

it is a shame the experience some are having in Havana and the prices...wow!!! Not sure why anyone would go to the ship for lunch rather than doing a bit of research and enjoying a Cuban place while you are there?

it is a shame the experience some are having in Havana and the prices...wow!!! Not sure why anyone would go to the ship for lunch rather than doing a bit of research and enjoying a Cuban place while you are there?

Wondered the same thing.:confused: After our classic car tour, we planned to have lunch on shore and walk around a bit. Anyone know if we can do that without having CUC's? Do some restaurants and shops in the ship area accept USD's? Thanks for any help!:*

We took the Royal Caribbean cruise to Cuba in November. The cruise presentation on excursions pretty much told us , "this is the rule, but do what you want." We took the Classic Car Tour and were very disappointed. The driver spoke no English at all, so we saw a lot of stuff, but know nothing about any of it. If you want to stay within the letter of the law, take the very cheapest excursion offered by the cruise and then do whatever else you want. The cruise staff said that once you completed your tour, you were free to explore on your own and come and go as you pleased. Of course, you do have to purchase a visa to enter Cuba. We came back to the ship after our Classic Car Tour and had lunch on the ship and then went back out for walking around and shopping on our own. There are tons of classic car taxis around and you would have the ability to choose the car and driver you want and negotiate the length and price of your tour. We heard other passengers raving about the great ride they had for $50.

Thanks for your post; however, considering some other factors, we will probably choose the safer route and stick with the ship sponsored tour this time, especially after reading one person's post about riding in a local classic car without an actual gas tank; the owner fed the gas through a pipeline running from a plastic jug in the trunk of his car!!:eek: No thanks!! Also, if a local car breaks down somewhere and we couldn't get back to the ship ..... bye bye!! We have some first time cruisers with our group and I want to keep them safe.

I hope you let RCI know about your bad experience with a non-English speaking driver, so it can possibly be corrected before we take the tour. I also plan to stop by the shore excursions desk on the ship and ask if they can make sure we get English speaking drivers for our tour. Will let everyone know how it turns out for us!

We are not adventurous eaters and don't speak Spanish. I'm not eating anything I cannot identify.

We are not adventurous eaters and don't speak Spanish. I'm not eating anything I cannot identify.
Many restaurants (especially in Old Town near the dock) have a host/hostess who speaks English and if you look at all inquisitive will approach you with an English menu with prices. You can look at the decor and items being eaten before committing. IME they want your business but are not pushy if you decide to look further. There’ll be another restaurant just down the block. Even if you decide to eat st the ship it is still interesting and fun to look and interact with the locals.

Many non-government businesses will take US$ but they lose 10% on the exchange so negotiate what the deal is BEFORE you order. ENJOY!

You gave me a good chuckle.....we ate in a small local paladar and had shrimp, rice and a salad of cucumbers and tomatoes for lunch! Looked (and tasted) the same as in the USA! ;p

You gave me a good chuckle.....we ate in a small local paladar and had shrimp, rice and a salad of cucumbers and tomatoes for lunch! Looked (and tasted) the same as in the USA! ;p

Frankly from some of the breakouts of food borne illness on ships I would feel safer eating in Havana...some great places and the food is quite easy to identify...menus in English and some very nice and fun servers. But its your vacation and you need to feel comfortable.

Wondered the same thing.:confused: After our classic car tour, we planned to have lunch on shore and walk around a bit. Anyone know if we can do that without having CUC's? Do some restaurants and shops in the ship area accept USD's? Thanks for any help!:*

No one takes US dollars as if they do it will cost them 13 per cent to exchange it Just get euros and exchange for cuc at dock

No one takes US dollars as if they do it will cost them 13 per cent to exchange it Just get euros and exchange for cuc at dock

I wouldn't go quite that far. Several people have reported using US Dollars, but it's kind of rude and often not accepted so don't do it.

I wouldn't go quite that far. Several people have reported using US Dollars, but it's kind of rude and often not accepted so don't do it.

Sure some will take them but better just to change some money. You can't be sure that anyone will take dollars.

Thanks again for all of the good advice!;) We will definitely get some CUC's when we get off of the ship in Cuba! Now, we just need to decide how much to get!:confused: We'll probably want to taste some of the local cuisine, buy some souvenir cigars, and just some things that you cannot get here in the states! Anyone know if they make their own tequila?

No tequila, rum is the national preference and they have some of the best in the world. The rules changed about 2 years ago and you can bring back all you want, subject to duty. The 7 year Havana Club is CUC16.90 per government regulated pricing and is quite good. Price list for cigars and rum:

http://yulcigars.blogspot.com/2017/12/cigar-price-list-for-cuba-2017-2018.html?m=1