Steps for Parthenon and Santorini shore excursions

Cruiserkenn

The descriptions of the Princess shore excursions for the Parthenon and also Santorini say there are 80 and 90 steps, respectively. Does anyone know if these are consecutive steps, or a few steps, here and there, as part of a pleasant walkway? I have no problem going up steps, but coming down is more difficult, due to past injuries. On the ship, I take steps up and the elevator down, but I know I can't do that ashore. I would appreciate any information about the Parthenon and/ or Santorini steps.

There was an elevator type thing at the Parthenon; our guide said you had to be quite handicapped to use it--not just for anyone. I'm not sure what the criteria are for being able to use it; may be wheelchair, walker, etc.

For Santorini you can take the cable car up and down. Walking around various places, like in Oia, does have steps from various levels; Possibly you could mostly just walk around the area that is more level and not go up and down the hillside, or take some shorter flights of stairs, although that would mean missing much of the beauty of the town.

The descriptions of the Princess shore excursions for the Parthenon and also Santorini say there are 80 and 90 steps' date=' respectively. Does anyone know if these are consecutive steps, or a few steps, here and there, as part of a pleasant walkway? I have no problem going up steps, but coming down is more difficult, due to past injuries. On the ship, I take steps up and the elevator down, but I know I can't do that ashore. I would appreciate any information about the Parthenon and/ or Santorini steps.[/quote']

I can't help with Santorini, but we have been to the Parthenon. It may depend on where you enter but when we did it (in October 2013), we entered at the bottom of the hill. There is a fairly long walk up to the Parthenon, along a sometimes graded and gently sloping path, and sometimes not as level or well-maintained. There are also various short flights of steps, and the steps can be quite high. I am 5' 2" and had a tough time stepping up on some of them (walk along an edge and it is easier!). Once you get to the actual Parthenon, there is a long flight of (marble?) steps up to the top to see it. This was a bit challenging but the 'staircase' is very wide and you can sit and rest if needed (lots of people were sitting on them). They are sort of steep. I'm not sure what time of year you are going, but when we were there in October, it was about 72 degrees F, but still very hot. Carry some water with you if you go. I wouldn't think of doing it in the summer but that's just me. I think it's more than 80 steps total and the last stairs up to the Parthenon itself might be as many as 40. I just asked DH and he thinks it is more than 30. I think coming down could be sort of hard, especially in the steepest places.

This was in 2013 and maybe things have changed since then but this was our experience. It was a beautiful place and I'm glad we got to see it. I hope you can too!

Good luck

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

We went in 2010 and had stops in both places. MIL used the elevator at the Parthenon- it is a pretty scary elevator and is very small so it takes a long time-consuming the wall wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but the steps are marble and can be slippery. MIL at the time was mostly in a wheelchair but could take a few steps of needed. Santorini was fine using the cable car.

We went in 2010 and stopped in both ports. MIL was mostly in a wheelchair but could take a few steps of needed. She used the elevator at the Parthenon- it is a small slow metal cage that looked pretty scary and took forever. I found climbing the steps to be not as challenging as I was expecting- there are beautiful views and lots of places to stop. The final stairs are marble so they can be slippery.

Santorini was no problem using the cable car.

I can't help with Santorini, but we have been to the Parthenon. It may depend on where you enter but when we did it (in October 2013), we entered at the bottom of the hill. There is a fairly long walk up to the Parthenon, along a sometimes graded and gently sloping path, and sometimes not as level or well-maintained. There are also various short flights of steps, and the steps can be quite high. I am 5' 2" and had a tough time stepping up on some of them (walk along an edge and it is easier!). Once you get to the actual Parthenon, there is a long flight of (marble?) steps up to the top to see it. This was a bit challenging but the 'staircase' is very wide and you can sit and rest if needed (lots of people were sitting on them). They are sort of steep. I'm not sure what time of year you are going, but when we were there in October, it was about 72 degrees F, but still very hot. Carry some water with you if you go. I wouldn't think of doing it in the summer but that's just me. I think it's more than 80 steps total and the last stairs up to the Parthenon itself might be as many as 40. I just asked DH and he thinks it is more than 30. I think coming down could be sort of hard, especially in the steepest places.

This was in 2013 and maybe things have changed since then but this was our experience. It was a beautiful place and I'm glad we got to see it. I hope you can too!

Good luck

ML

Excellent description. I would add that the ascent us fairly slow due to the crowds. You shouldnt be pushed to climb quickly.

Excellent description. I would add that the ascent us fairly slow due to the crowds. You shouldnt be pushed to climb quickly.

Yes, good point. I was Ok with the steps but sometimes the path was uneven, narrow, and not maintained very well, which bothered me more. There are lots of interesting things to see along the way and the crowds can go around you if needed, so you can set your own pace.

The descriptions of the Princess shore excursions for the Parthenon and also Santorini say there are 80 and 90 steps' date=' respectively. Does anyone know if these are consecutive steps, or a few steps, here and there, as part of a pleasant walkway? I have no problem going up steps, but coming down is more difficult, due to past injuries. On the ship, I take steps up and the elevator down, but I know I can't do that ashore. I would appreciate any information about the Parthenon and/ or Santorini steps.[/quote']

The time a few years back when I visited both places, I had to navigate some paved walkway steps, also irregularly spaced cobblestones, and loose stones. I think it was more than 90 steps. Add more steps when you’re actually at the sites. It’s a worse walk when hot or rainy. Are you OK with that going up and down?

Saw a few elderly tourists slip and fall injuring themselves going up and down

They may have made improvements on the pathways since I was there.

Be safe and enjoy!

Edited by Kingofcool1947

I was very worried about the steps when we went (maybe 4-5 years ago) as I was having some knee problems, and I knew that going down with no handrail would be the hardest part. So I brought a cane with the three stabilizing tips at the end and was very glad that I did. It made the trip down without handrails less scary. I would highly recommend it for anyone at all unsteady or with joint issues.

I was very worried about the steps when we went (maybe 4-5 years ago) as I was having some knee problems, and I knew that going down with no handrail would be the hardest part. So I brought a cane with the three stabilizing tips at the end and was very glad that I did. It made the trip down without handrails less scary. I would highly recommend it for anyone at all unsteady or with joint issues.

Great idea! Thanks so much😊

At the Acropolis, you will find the elevator behind the Erechtheion. After your tour, just walk over to it and ask to ride down. The attendant will let you on it if he can see you have trouble walking.

If you want to ride up and down, ask your tour guide and he/she should help get you there.

Here is a link to the final steps at the Acropolis. Prior to getting to this point is a fairly lengthly sloping trail and additional steps, if I recall.

23103423950_9bfa7bffdd_b.jpg

As you can see, it's can be very crowded. I don't think many were actually sitting on these steps on this day. Too crowded.