Are my recollections still relevant for approach to upcoming cruises?

kroberst

Hi all, it's been a few years since we were on Celebrity and very much looking forward to getting back on Solstice in June and Eclipse in September. These trips will include DH and my mom (88 y/o). I know there have been some changes (ex. Bistro on 5) so I'd appreciate recent travelers chiming in/correcting my assumptions:

We can wait to upgrade drink packages once onboard to use up OBC

Embarkation day lunch options include buffet (crazy) or Bistro's reincarnation as Sushi (small cover charge applies). Since sushi is not appetizing to this travel crew - can anyone comment on availability of cooked items there?

Do they still have grilled mushrooms and onions at the Mast Grill (if you ask politely?)

Is there a breakfast option other than OVC or main dining room to get cooked to order items? (I may be mixing up lines)

Is there a particular bar that offers small tapas early evening?

Any new "celebrity secrets" or tips that we shouldn't miss? Thanks! Can't wait to get back on board these solstice class ships!

Here are some of the changes I have been reading about here on CC

1. Basically the food is inedible and they apparently allow children onboard.

2. If you don't actually take the cruise you won't get any CC points.

3. Lots of chair hoggers, get out and reserve your chair at 0400 sharp or don't bother going to the pool

4. No good steaks onboard on ANY ship.

I am sure there have been a few more changes but those are the highlights, so if you are a very lite eating vegetarian that likes to sit by the pool at 5 AM you should have a great cruise otherwise forget about it. Try and enjoy your cruise now.

There is the Spa Cafe for breakfast and lunch. Pastries are no charge at Cafe Al Baccio. You should be able to get grilled onions at the Mast Grill. If you search you should be able to find a Sushi on Five menu. There are many cooked items, but the charges are not what I consider small. I assume dgparent is trying to be funny

Hi all, it's been a few years since we were on Celebrity and very much looking forward to getting back on Solstice in June and Eclipse in September. These trips will include DH and my mom (88 y/o). I know there have been some changes (ex. Bistro on 5) so I'd appreciate recent travelers chiming in/correcting my assumptions:

We can wait to upgrade drink packages once onboard to use up OBC

Embarkation day lunch options include buffet (crazy) or Bistro's reincarnation as Sushi (small cover charge applies). Since sushi is not appetizing to this travel crew - can anyone comment on availability of cooked items there?

Do they still have grilled mushrooms and onions at the Mast Grill (if you ask politely?)

Is there a breakfast option other than OVC or main dining room to get cooked to order items? (I may be mixing up lines)

Is there a particular bar that offers small tapas early evening?

Any new "celebrity secrets" or tips that we shouldn't miss? Thanks! Can't wait to get back on board these solstice class ships!

Hi, yes you can wait till you're onboard to use OBC to upgrade drink package. I recommend you find the bar you'll hang out at the most & do it there, as the person who sells you the upgrade gets credit for it.

The sushi place has excellent sliders, & a few other hot dishes, you could easily eat lunch there & not actually have sushi, unless you're appetite is huge. Also, the Aqua spa cafe should have some nice offerings, & for us, that's been a quiet place to get a bit to eat on boarding day.

for breakfast there's also room service & the aqua spa cafe, but not sure about hot items at cafe for breakfast.

Can't help you on the Tapas, or the grilled onions & mushrooms, but I'm sure someone else will help.

Have a fantastic trip!

here are some of the changes i have been reading about here on cc

2. If you don't actually take the cruise you won't get any cc points.

3. Lots of chair hoggers, get out and reserve your chair at 0400 sharp or don't bother going to the pool

4. No good steaks onboard on any ship.

I am sure there have been a few more changes but those are the highlights, so if you are a very lite eatiertng vegetarian that likes to sit by the pool at 5 am you should have a great cruise otherwise forget about it. Try and enjoy your cruise now.

very funny:D

Edited by Pepsi36
typo

I am sure there have been a few more changes but those are the highlights, so if you are a very lite eating vegetarian that likes to sit by the pool at 5 AM you should have a great cruise otherwise forget about it. Try and enjoy your cruise now.

Sounds absolutely miserable, doesn't it? ;):D:cool:

I thought dgparent was very funny too!

But regarding the tapas, the OP is remembering the old Cova Cafes (now the Cafe al Bacios) which did have small tapas in the evening. Also the Cafe al Bacios do not offer the mini-sandwiches around noon to early afternoon which we used to have in the Cova Cafes. Cafe al Bacio offers breakfast pastries and muffins in the morning, then transitions to small sweet offerings in the afternoon, and then transitions to lovely layered cakes and other such fancy sweets in the evenings.

One change is that you can now use OBC ahead of time, and I think you can use it to upgrade your beverage package. Better than having to deal with the sticker. (if I am wrong I have no doubt someone will correct me). You can only use Celebrity OBC for pre-cruise purchases I believe - any from your TA will show up once you are onboard. You can call the Captains Club to ask about this if you want.

On some ships (maybe just Equinox??)) they have changed Cellar Masters to a Gastro Pub where you can buy food - not tapas exactly but small plates. I do not think Solstice or Eclipse is like that.

I was personally disappointed in the cooked food options in Sushi - a couple of different noodle dishes which did not sound appealing, but I have not looked at their menu recently.

You may upgrade your beverage package onboard. If you purchase from one the bartenders, he or she gets some or all of the gratuity for the upgrade.

You may now use your OBC for purchases made before the cruise - beverage packages, excursion, wifi and specialty dining. OBC is posted to your cruise planner.

Boarding lunch is served at OVC, Sushi on 5 and Mast Grill. Concierge guests are served a limited menu lunch in the MDR. Sauteed mushrooms and onions are still available at Mast Grill.

Perhaps these are calculated critiques to scare people off so posters can have the ships to themselves.:confused::')

If that's the case - these cruises will be terrible, wish I didn't have to go, LOL

A great post! Love it.

For the OP, I think the others have given you good responses. And As for tapas, I also don’t remember that as an option onboard, except maybe as a special meal, not consistently available.

Love the Aqua Cafe for breakfast and lunch - good light options, then I can run up to the El Bacio and feast on the cookies and cakesl!

Dgparent’s post ‘quoting’ recent complainers reminded me of some other complainers that I found hilarious:

- a guy who said Celebrity had poor service, and he went on to describe how there wasn’t an umbrella in his room - it was raining in port - so he went down to guest services to complain. The staff person there didn’t have any more umbrellas, so she lent him her’s and asked him to return it. He forgot, left it in the room with no note or anything - and complained on line here how terrible the service was not having an umbrella in his room.....wow.

- a woman complained that the ship was noisy - it was creaking. When asked, she said yes, it was a high sea state and the ship was moving around a lot. I explained that a ship Had to be flexible to move in the rolling sea or it would break in half and sink! She still said it shouldn’t ‘make all those creaks and groans.

- A man complained that the food in the MDR was poor quality and was small portions. I pointed out that he should complain about one OR the other, not that the food was bad and that there wan’t enough of it!

OP - enjoy your cruise. I think you’ll find it quite enjoyable, I hope. So much of it is our own attitude, isn’t it.

Den

Dgparent’s post ‘quoting’ recent complainers reminded me of some other complainers that I found hilarious:

- A man complained that the food in the MDR was poor quality and was small portions. I pointed out that he should complain about one OR the other, not that the food was bad and that there wan’t enough of it!

Den

That's an old joke about Grossinger's in the Catskills – probably from the party that complained so much that on the fourth night the waiter came back after serving them and asked "Is ANYTHING all right?" :D