Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:01 PM.
Tamar valley, Cornwall
162 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Is it absolutely clear that Princess are currently accepting the old cards with no expiration date printed on them? Will this continue for the whole of 2018 at least?
Any current experience with this issue would be welcome dear

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Second City
5,403 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
My guess is thst the new ecpiry of Dec 31 2018 points to Princess changing the coffee card program.

If Princess can load the PBP onto one's cruise card, surely they are able to load coffee. Then it truly would be for the current sailing.

Since 15 foo-foo coffees may be too much for some to drink one cruise ... maybe a $12 coffee pkg for 5 specialty coffees, and get rid of the 15-pkg completely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app
Tampa, Florida area
12,374 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by Larlin
Aren't we talking about $35? With what we spend on the cruise, doesn't that seem rather trivial? Just asking.....

IMO, it's not about the price of the coffee card. What's not trivial about the issue is this .... Princess sells me a coffee card for +/- $35, with 15 "punches" which entitles me to 15 uses for a beverage. By them instituting an expiration date, after which any remaining punches are invalidated, however many punches I had left on that card that I spent my money to purchase are gone without me getting the full value of what I paid for ...... 15 beverages!
Essentially, they are stealing part of my money by not allowing the card to be used until all of the punches that I have paid for are used up, no matter how long it takes.

I completely understand not allowing outdated cards to be used for free regular or tea, but not allowing the remaining punches to be utilized at some point is nonsense and, IMO, dishonest.
That's why I probably will not ever buy another coffee card unless I'm on a cruise of over 15 days.
26,613 Posts
Joined Jul 2001
The solution would be to go back to how things used to be and include speciality coffees with the cruise fare and install brewed coffee stations in multiple places. Honestly - how hard can this be?

I don't have a beef in this fight as I don't drink coffee but I find this nickel and dining ridiculous when they used to provide free coffee drinks with meals when I first started cruising Princess.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email Me
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,606 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
When the day comes that I'm about to leave the ship, standing in line with my card that has many punches remaining I'll just announce to the crowd....."FREE COFFEE" for the next 10 people.
No use in letting Princess benefit by letting them expire.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
Texas
273 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by floridalover5623
When the day comes that I'm about to leave the ship, standing in line with my card that has many punches remaining I'll just announce to the crowd....."FREE COFFEE" for the next 10 people.
No use in letting Princess benefit by letting them expire.
You would have many happy coffee drinkers!!
Michigan
10,424 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
Originally posted by moki'smommy
And that is where a lot of the confusion is coming in. How can you print on the card that it expires on 12/31/18 and then try to claim that part of it expires at the end of the cruise but the other part expires on the printed date? Unless wording to that effect is added, it makes no sense. As printed, one could claim that the entire card expires on the printed date. It won't affect me, but I can see why people are upset.

We have a New Year's cruise booked for this year. Starts in Dec. 2018 and ends in January 2019.
It'll be interesting to see what they do for coffee cards on this cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Karen

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance
I hope you dance
I hope you dance

Lee Ann Womack

League City, TX
41,585 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by chamima
We have a New Year's cruise booked for this year. Starts in Dec. 2018 and ends in January 2019.
It'll be interesting to see what they do for coffee cards on this cruise!
The first reports of an expiration date on these forums had the date being 6/30/18.

So I suspect that by mid-year the expiration date on new cards will be changed to 6/30/19.
RI
1,721 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Without writing a lengthy formula showing the coffee card is not worth buying for most cruisers, I'll just say pay as you go. In many cases you will not spend as much as you would if you bought the card. Back in the day you could get BOGO cards for $25 it was a deal but today not so much. Cards help them speed up the line and save on bookkeeping costs, your saving is very little and now with an expiration date you can lose on the transaction.

Winning move just have them swipe you CC when you want a coffee.

I have not bought a coffee card on my last two cruises.

framer
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=152479&dateline=15162  13139
San Francisco Bay Area
7,811 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
I wonder if it is allowed to post on your roll call that you are willing to sell a card to one of the other members that is interested for like $10. It's a good deal for anyone that likes coffee and anyone that has extra unused cards, right??
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise Raider
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,606 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by Cruise Raider
I wonder if it is allowed to post on your roll call that you are willing to sell a card to one of the other members that is interested for like $10. It's a good deal for anyone that likes coffee and anyone that has extra unused cards, right??
As long as you do it without being in view of anyone from Princess. I would think they would frown upon an official gathering for any exchanges.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
Ivanhoe, IL
6,043 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
No, they meant exactly what is says. The cards are useless after the expiration date.
It sad to see Princess deteriorating before my eyes. I'd rather see a slight increase in their cruise rates then have them chip away at our benefits.
Wanna bet?

I do not believe that anyone has posted saying that they were unable to use a punch on any card for a speciality coffee drink. Until that happens I personally would not assume that the cards are useless after the expiration date.
Perhaps we should wait until someone is actually unable to use their card.
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,606 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by jagoffee
Wanna bet?

I do not believe that anyone has posted saying that they were unable to use a punch on any card for a speciality coffee drink. Until that happens I personally would not assume that the cards are useless after the expiration date.
Perhaps we should wait until someone is actually unable to use their card.
I think you're confusing using a card's punches obtained on a previous cruise for coffee on a subsequent trip with cards now issued with an expiration date on the back. As long as it's before the expiration date they'll accept it.

All I can say is that is what was told to me by the food & beverage manager last week on the Royal. I sent her a letter detailing my displeasure about the change. Her reply was that I could return the cards & apply a $20 each towards Princess wine OR exchange them back for our setup.
She also said that there were no more cards in their stock without the expiration date on the back and she would have given me two if she had them.
And yes FWIW- she she also said that the cards would be useless after the expiration date.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90
Seattle
236 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Coming from a finance background, not only is this a cash grab but it's not wanting a liability on the books crossing a calendar year. Since unused punches = $ liability.
14,584 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by Cruise Raider
As long as you do it without being in view of anyone from Princess. I would think they would frown upon an official gathering for any exchanges.
Not allowed.....no solicitation on CC

But it has been done on 2 of my roll calls, 2 years ago...have not seen it since, concerns were sent to moderators.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
L RI
2018 cruises completed Alaska Ruby..... May. Pacific Coastal Ruby...Mar.-Apr.
2017 cruises completed MR Emerald... Nov.-Dec. Scandinavian. Crown... Aug-Sept.... South East Asia...Majestic..June-July... Caribbean...Anthem..Mar.- April ...South America... Crown.. Jan.-Feb
Still favor land trips best, but as I log more sea and river days on ships and hours on CC , I might become a "Cruise Lover" sooner than I think or am I already?
1983 1ST Ocean Liner Cruise Caribbean, Carnivale
2006 River Cruise China, Viking Century
My avatar is of a Marine Iguana the most amazing reptile ever, indigenous to the Galapagos......swam with his friends in the Galapagos islands, while traveling on X's Xpedition in 2009 & 2010.....take time to enjoy experiences with nature and it's underwater wonders.

14,584 Posts
Joined May 2005
I think you're confusing using a card's punches obtained on a previous cruise for coffee on a subsequent trip with cards now issued with an expiration date on the back. As long as it's before the expiration date they'll accept it.

All I can say is that is what was told to me by the food & beverage manager last week on the Royal. I sent her a letter detailing my displeasure about the change. Her reply was that I could return the cards & apply a $20 each towards Princess wine OR exchange them back for our setup.
She also said that there were no more cards in their stock without the expiration date on the back and she would have given me two if she had them.
And yes FWIW- she she also said that the cards would be useless after the expiration date.
So these cards you, received by exchange...She is giving you the option to exchange them back, I think that is fair. As elite or in a suite we have the option to exchange our mini bar, for 2 coffee cards, it never said no exp. or that they would not put the ship and voyage number.
Years ago...we could exchange the mini for a bottle of liquor & mixers....heck I'd love to have that back....but things change...I am happy for a few perks just sayin.'
14,584 Posts
Joined May 2005
Originally posted by pms4104
My guess is thst the new ecpiry of Dec 31 2018 points to Princess changing the coffee card program.

If Princess can load the PBP onto one's cruise card, surely they are able to load coffee. Then it truly would be for the current sailing.

Since 15 foo-foo coffees may be too much for some to drink one cruise ... maybe a $12 coffee pkg for 5 specialty coffees, and get rid of the 15-pkg completely.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app
Sound plausible to me......I do think the cards will come to an end...
Minnesota
5,916 Posts
Joined Jul 2002
Are they still taking the old undated cards?

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next:
Ruby Princess 10/2017 CA Coastal
NCL Breakaway 12/2017 Caribbean

Ruby Princess 8/2017 Alaska
Carnival Miracle 5/2017 Mexican Riviera
Island Princess 12/5/2016 Panama Canal FT
Emerald Princess 6/18/2016 Norway -North Cape & Summer Solstice
Royal Princess 10/11/2015 Eastern Caribbean B2B
Royal Princess 10/21/2015 Southern Caribbean B2B
HAL Statendam 7/27/2015 Alaska
Crown Princess 4/4/2015 California Coastal
Grand Princess 12/4/2014 Hawaii
HAL Veendam 9/27/2014 Canada/New England B2B
HAL Veendam 9/20/2014 Canada/New England B2B
Star Princess 12/5/2013 Hawaii
Coral Princess 7/10/2013 S/B Alaska B2B
Coral Princess 7/3/2013 N/B Alaska B2B
Ruby Princess 1/20/2013 Caribbean (Oldies Music Cruise)
Sapphire Princess 11/24/12 Hawaii
Island Princess 11/19/2011 Panama Canal PT
Celebrity Equinox 11/26/2010 Ultimate Caribbean
Sapphire Princess 2/20/2010 Mexican Riviera
Crown Princess 11/7/2009 E. Caribbean
Crown Princess 11/9/2008 W. Caribbean
Sun Princess 12/2/2004 S. Caribbean
Island Princess 3/15/2004 Panama Canal PT
Carnival Victory 11/02/2003 E. Caribbean (Oldies Music Cruise)
Grand Princess 4/27/2003 E. Caribbean
Carnival Inspiration 10/27/2002 Caribbean (Oldies Music Cruise)
Sun Princess 10/7/2002 Mexican Riviera
RCI Monarch of the Seas 5/18/2002 Mexican Riviera
Ocean Princess 3/20/2002 S. Caribbean
Ocean Princess 12/5/2001 S. Caribbean
HAL Volendam 3/15/2001 S. Caribbean
Crown Dynasty 3/2000 Caribbean
Sea Princess 4/24/1999 Panama Canal FT
Sun Princess 3/18/1997 Caribbean
Carnival Ecstasy 2/1997 Caribbean
RCI Song Of America 12/8/1996 Caribbean
NCL Leeward 3/14/1996 Caribbean
Pacific Princess 2/25/1996 Hawaii ~The LOVE BOAT~
Regal Princess 3/6/1995 E. Caribbean
Star Princess 3/12/1994 Caribbean
Dawn Princess 9/19/1992 Alaska
Premier Royale 3/24/1986 Caribbean
Costa Carla C 1/1974 S. Caribbean
sw, Fl - Fort Myers Area
7,606 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
Originally posted by land lover
Sound plausible to me......I do think the cards will come to an end...
Most likely that will happen when the OM is in full swing on all the ships.
Talking to one of the barista's, he told me that they were instructed that the punches would be on the computer screen....someday.
How they would incorporate the older coffee cards into the system is still a mystery.
Perhaps punching cards along with checking off in the computer I suspect?
This move to limit the life of the coffee cards will eliminate punching even faster when the OM finally is in place.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
S 645/72/826/90