What do RCI cruisers do when docked in Nassau?

While Nassau is not one of my favorite port stops, I always get off the ship to walk around a bit. We try to stop at Linda's Place which is right inside the terminal area. She prepares some really great home-cooked conch dishes and I sure hope she's still there. Love her food!

When we were there recently we did the pirate museum, which we really enjoyed, thought it was very well done and wasn't a bad price to get into either. After that we went to Del Sol and Caralioha before heading back to the ship.

Thanks everyone! We'll be with our kids, 14 and 16, so I'm afraid walking tours and art museums probably won't cut it. ;)

However it's good to know that it's a walkable town- cost of a resort would be $240 for the four of us, so I'm questioning if that's worth it. ...

It would not be worth it to us for the short time you are in Nassau.

Edited by clarea

Did Rainbow Reef snorkeling while on the Oasis. Good equipment, plenty of fish to see on reef which is between Nassau and Paradise Island. Boat ride to get to reef has views of nice homes and was a good value.

The last time we were there and actually got off the ship we went to Hard Rock Cafe to have a beer,

get a souvenir glass and look at the memorabilia.

I believe they change the displays every so often. If it's still there, it was a short walk from the pier.

There are some T-shirt shops with good prices and quality shirts a few blocks away from the pier area.

Remember, stuff tends to be cheaper the farther away you go from the pier congestion.

Thanks everyone! We'll be with our kids, 14 and 16, so I'm afraid walking tours and art museums probably won't cut it. ;)

However it's good to know that it's a walkable town- cost of a resort would be $240 for the four of us, so I'm questioning if that's worth it. I have a must-get-back-to-the-ship paranoia (left over from our very first cruise when a couple was left behind in Mexico, screaming on the dock, and it scarred me for life), so for a 2pm sailaway, I'd probably need to leave wherever we were at 12:30, even if it was a 10 minute walk. (Seriously paranoid!)

I think the town/shopping might be a good plan!

You sound like my DW. Standing along the sea wall in Dominica looking at vendors selling things. Right next to the short pier and with 45 minutes left before all-aboard and she is panicking that we are going to miss the ship.

We go to Junkanoo Beach, Da Fish Fry, then loop back around and head to John Watlings Rum Distillary, where you can do a free self guided tour. They also give free samples of their rum- great staff there, and a very pretty estate within walking distance of the pier. Nassau gets a bad rap here on the boards, but we have always enjoyed our stops.

One visit was with a good friend who had never been. We went over to Paradise Island to see Atlantis, walked around, played some slots. When it was time to leave we got in the taxi queue, and a limo driver waved us over. We started chatting with him, and he ended up giving us a great tour of Nassau for not much money in a stretch limo.

Aww man, I put a $40 deposit on RIU Palace on Paradise Island for an all inclusive day pass, which is non refundable I believe, but after reading this thread, I am not sure it is worth the additional $150, plus taxi fare there and back. Maybe since it is 6 months out I will try and see if it can be refunded

You could get your hair braided. If you search really hard you might be able to find someone to do this for you.:rolleyes: Actually, the number of people trying to sell this is mind boggling. You can't walk 50' without someone trying to braid your hair. I'm a male and my hair is, maybe, 3/4" long. I had several people wanting to braid my hair. :eek:

If you are able to say "no" and walk away from all of the "salespeople", Nassau is not a bad place to walk around. As others have mentioned there are inexpensive things to do.

A white woman just off a cruise with a cheezy cheap braid job she got in Nassau ... bad look ... don't do it !! ! !

Take a cab over to Melia Hotel and pay $35 for a nice day on the beach ... nice day for us .... tho we were there later in the day and could take advantage of their beach bar!

Edited by F27TW

Been there twice. First time we went shopping on the main streets a short distance (walkable) from the cruise pier, including the Straw Market. The second time it was raining and on a Sunday (stores open later on Sunday's and close around noon). We walked over to the Pirate Museum and went through that. Then we returned to the ship. Hopefully others found better things to do than we did.

(We really did enjoy the Pirate Museum).

Edited by novalab

You might think about going to the Ardastra Garden/Zoo. We were in port for more time than you but you should have time to visit it. We walked from the ship (around 30 minutes). It opens at 9AM and there is a Marching Flamingoes show at 10:30. After the show we spent a couple hours walking around seeing the other exhibits. Afterwards we walked back and went to the Pirate Museum. Even though there were 5 ships in port, not many people were at the zoo so it was nice and relaxing.

http://ardastra.com/

I have been to Nassau on every trip so will stay on this time. One time my late wife and I walked over to Parliament which happened to be in session. They allowed us to sit in chambers. After the session was over a gentleman walked up and spoke to us for several minutes. A newspaperman says to me that was the premier (like the Vice President ) just don't know who you will meet.

You sound like my DW. Standing along the sea wall in Dominica looking at vendors selling things. Right next to the short pier and with 45 minutes left before all-aboard and she is panicking that we are going to miss the ship.

There were only 45 minutes left before all-aboard and you weren't yet onboard?!?!?! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Yes, I'm right there with your wife. :o

A white woman just off a cruise with a cheezy cheap braid job she got in Nassau ... bad look ... don't do it !! ! !

Take a cab over to Melia Hotel and pay $35 for a nice day on the beach ... nice day for us .... tho we were there later in the day and could take advantage of their beach bar!

Don't worry...no chance of this white lady getting braids. ;)

Will check out Melia- thanks!

However it's good to know that it's a walkable town- cost of a resort would be $240 for the four of us, so I'm questioning if that's worth it. I have a must-get-back-to-the-ship paranoia (left over from our very first cruise when a couple was left behind in Mexico, screaming on the dock, and it scarred me for life), so for a 2pm sailaway, I'd probably need to leave wherever we were at 12:30, even if it was a 10 minute walk. (Seriously paranoid!)

I took my kids to the Queen's staircase because it was a good teaching opportunity. You look at that tall staircase and explain how it was carved by hand out of stone by slaves. They read about the shame of slavery but this puts a physical view for them. The fort is at the top and has some great views.

We have done the Hilton day pass twice and I really enjoyed it, but as others have said it is NOT a good option when you have to be back on the ship by 1:30. My recollection is that the hours for the pass are 9 or 10 a.m. to 5. I'm not sure if you could go much earlier than that.

Enjoy your day in Nassau. Unlike some folks, I really enjoy our stops there.

k.

You might think about going to the Ardastra Garden/Zoo. We were in port for more time than you but you should have time to visit it. We walked from the ship (around 30 minutes). It opens at 9AM and there is a Marching Flamingoes show at 10:30. After the show we spent a couple hours walking around seeing the other exhibits. Afterwards we walked back and went to the Pirate Museum. Even though there were 5 ships in port, not many people were at the zoo so it was nice and relaxing.

http://ardastra.com/

This is where we went last time with our older teens and they actually enjoyed it quite a bit. It is not the same type of zoo you see in the states. We got there early, saw the flamingos, fed the birds, and walked around a bit, then headed down the hill to the fish fry for lunch and walked back to the ship along the beach. We were on the same itinerary and made it with time to do a little shopping back at the port.

Walking distance from the ship. We get there when they open at 11am so we can get a table over looking the water and across from the bar.

The water view is spectacular and you can watch the conch fisherman come in on their small boats. Fresh conch salad is a specialty of this restaurant. And..

..ok...no judgements please...watch the young people get willingly drunk. This would not happen in the U.S. The bar plays drinking games. The last time we were there, one person was going around pouring a drink from a bottle straight into the open mouths of anyone that would participate as others cheered on.

I asked one young lady who was participating what was in the bottle. She said she did not have clue !

Would I want my kids to go there...not a chance. I do not know if they even check id's.

We went on the "Atlantis Beach Day" with Royal this past March. We also have kids aged 13 and 16. The excursion started at 8am and we needed to be back on ship for 1:15. So you get about 5 hours to spend at Atlantis.

When we arrived at the beach we pretty much had the entire beach to ourselves, and it is beautiful. After a few hours on the beach we toured Atlantis on our own, we got to see the aquariums and the "Digs" and the entire Resort. They have shuttles for people booked on the Royal Caribbean Excursions that go back to the ship every 20-30 minutes and you are free to go back when ever you want to. It was a great day, well worth the money. In fact the kids said it was their favourite stop on the cruise.

We've been to Nassau in the past and just walked around and it was rather boring for us as we are not big shoppers.

It's such a short day- 7am to 2pm. We've never been and aren't "stay on the ship" sort of people.

Looking at either a day pass to British Colonial Hilton or Breezes Bahamas. I've heard a lot about the Hilton, but has anyone been to Breezes? The beach looks nicer from the photos...

Any thoughts? This was already posted on the ports of call board, but man, those boards don't get much action! Thanks in advance!

We do the day pass at the British Colonial Hilton.. We LOVE IT!!!!!

We went on the "Atlantis Beach Day" with Royal this past March. We also have kids aged 13 and 16. The excursion started at 8am and we needed to be back on ship for 1:15. So you get about 5 hours to spend at Atlantis.

When we arrived at the beach we pretty much had the entire beach to ourselves, and it is beautiful. After a few hours on the beach we toured Atlantis on our own, we got to see the aquariums and the "Digs" and the entire Resort. They have shuttles for people booked on the Royal Caribbean Excursions that go back to the ship every 20-30 minutes and you are free to go back when ever you want to. It was a great day, well worth the money. In fact the kids said it was their favourite stop on the cruise.

We've been to Nassau in the past and just walked around and it was rather boring for us as we are not big shoppers.

Wow, $74/pp for a beach day? Not sure if that's worth it for 4 of us...we are only in port 7am-2pm. How early did you set out? What time does the last bus leave to get back to port? How long of a drive is it to port?