Packing Tips for Cruising with a Toddler and Baby

Cruising for the first time? Our members will have you cruising like a pro in no time! Don't forget to read our 8000 reviews written by first timers just like you!
First Time Cruisers
You May Also Want to Read: Over 9,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:14 PM.
12 Posts
Joined Apr 2017
Hi Everyone! We're cruising in 2 weeks on Carnival Liberty to Nassau and Freeport with our 2 young daughters. One is 3.5 and the other will be 9 months. Does anyone have any suggestions for packing items to make our lives easier? I've compiled my own list and also have done some reading around on various forums, but want to make sure I don't miss anything. This will be our first time cruising! Also any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Coastal GA USA
22,825 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
There is a family cruising forum here at CC, under Special Interest Cruising. Lots of advice there from those who have cruised with children of all ages. EM
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Booked: Celebrity Equinox 08/25/18
Carnival Splendor 1/14/18 13 nites
Carnival Elation 12/11/17 5 nites
Carnival Fascination 10/8/17 4 nites
Carnival Magic 8/26/17 8 nites
Carnival Pride B2B 21 nites 2/19/17 Caribbean
Carnival Glory 8/27/16
MSC Divina 5/7/16
Carnival Fascination 22 Feb 2016 Bahamas
MSC Divina 11/20-23/2013 Bahamas
Coral Princess 17 July 2013 Alaska
Celebrity Silhouette 22 May 2013 Adriatic & Italy
Queen Elizabeth 15 May 2013 4 nights
Celebrity Infinity 16 April 2013 B2B San Diego to Harwich
Nieuw Amsterdam Mediterranean 4/30 - 5/24/2012
Millennium B2B2B 2/6-20/2012 Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 10/29/2011 Caribbean Islander NY to FLL
Celebrity Solstice 5/1/2011 FLL to Barcelona
Carnival Fascination 2/28/11 Bahamas
QM 2 12/8/2010 Caribbean Delights
Celebrity Summit 10/24/10 B2B NY to San Juan
Emerald Princess 8/29/10 Western Caribbean
Diamond Princess 5/29/10 B2B Alaska
Westerdam 2/7/10 Eastern & Southern Caribbean
Carnival Dream 10/27/09 Transatlantic
Carnival Sensation 6/18/09 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor 5/17/09 B2B Mexi-not to Canada
Oosterdam 2/28/09 San Diego to Rome 32 nights
Carnival Fascination 12/13/08 Bahamas
QE 2 7/31/08 Lands of Fire and Ice
Celebration 3/27/08 Bahamas
Celebration 1/26/08 Bahamas
Norwegian Spirit 10/20/07 CTN
Elation 4/23/07 B2B Bahamas
Zenith 8/2006 Bermuda
Calypso 7/2005 Greek Isles
Star Princess Inaugural 2/2002 Pacific Rim Singapore to LA 26 nights
Millennium 8/2000 Baltic
Fantasy 6/1999 Bahamas
Royal Princess 1/1999 Buenos Aires to Manaus
Home Lines Oceanic x 2 1973 NYC to Nassau 7 nights
Homes Lines Homeric x2 Eastern Caribbean 1972 10 nights
Pepsicola FL
10,818 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
bring EVERYTHING. literally.. including pediatric medicines and supplements. bring twice as many diapers as you normally go through in a week. bring your own baby food although they will happily puree any menu items like potatoes and peas for you.

blow up bathtub or tiny pool
Chicago
9,928 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
DON'T bring a big stroller!! Bring a small folding umbrella one the hallways are narrow and strollers will take up room in the cabin.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~Kahlil Gibran

Sounds of the wind or sounds of the sea make me happy just to be. ~June Polis

Dude, don't you understand the first rule of holes? When you find yourself in a hole stop digging. Take it from a fellow Gopher.
~Planer's Edge

A passport, as I'm sure you know, is a document that one shows to government officials whenever one reaches a border between countries, so the officials can learn who you are, where you were born, and how you look when photographed unflatteringly.
~Lemony Snicket

Cruised:
M.V. Hobart Star 1974 (Blue Star Line)
T.S.S. Festivale 1993 (Carnival Cruise Line)
S.S. Norway 2003 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Queen Mary2 2006 (Cunard Line)
Carnival Imagination 2009 (Carnival Cruise Line)
M.V. Norwegian Sun 2010 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Carnival Destiny 2011 (Carnival Cruise Line)
Norwegian EPIC 2013 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Carnival Breeze 2014 (Carnival Cruise Line)

Florida
481 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
I'm a travel "light" kind of gal with three kids. Critical items for me - diapers, wipes, formula (if you formula feed), clothing/jammies, stroller, SUNBLOCK and a medical kit. For our family we have also have a couple of lovies/blankies that are mission critical. You'll want a swim suit for the 3 year old, but the 9 month old won't be able to go in any pools. If your infant is a picky eater you may want to consider packing along some tried and true foods, but we always used travel as a chance to try out new things. You don't really need anything different for a cruise than you would for any other vacation.
In the Valley, CA
23,049 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
If you're flying to get to your embarkation port, go at least a day early and plan to go shopping for anything you didn't want to schlep on the plane (like extra diapers).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Patty the Cruisin' Chick (may all your cruises be smooth sailin')

Hoping for another trip to the land of Aloha!

Carnival Jubilee - Mex. Riv.; Sensation - W. Caribb.; Holiday (2Xs) - Baja; Paradise - E Caribb; Ecstasy - Baja; Star Princess - Mex. Riv.; Sapphire Princess - Alaska; Island Princess - Hawaii; Golden Princess - Hawaii (one of the best cruises ever!!!!); another Golden Princess -- Hawaii

Read about my most recent cruise at
http://www.sites.google.com/site/holidayalohaii/home
4,984 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
We always grabbed a couple of cartons of milk from the buffet to put in the mini-fridge for my Grandson when he was three. We would also keep a box of the cereal from the buffet in the cabin for an "emergency" snack. We often took a box of the cereal and a bottle of water on an excursion to keep him from getting hungry if lunch ran late. We stuck an extra outfit in a zip-lock baggie with us on excursions too. Best Tip: Carry the Grandmother. We love babysitting while you go out in the evenings...lol
NY
21 Posts
Joined Nov 2016
I recommend grabbing some of the non-perishable food items from the buffet to bring with you in the port. Unless your infant has a lot of food restrictions, I wouldn't waste space in your luggage with food items. There will be plenty of infant friendly food items on board. Definitely plan to stop by the Camp Ocean area to enroll your kids and plan to use it. My kids loved it and sometimes were upset when we picked them up. Also, consider a carrier to wear the baby. I found that putting my youngest in a carrier was a lot easier than trying navigate the ship and busy streets with a stroller, plus we didn't have a stroller taking up space in the cabin. I also brought several bathing suits for both the kids so that they would always have a dry suit to put on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app
Washington
6,221 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
If you want to take food off the ship it has to be sealed in factory sealed original containers or you may be violating the local law and if you get caught you could get a huge fine. So a sealed box of cereal is OK, but a piece of fruit is not.
southern NM desert
12,136 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
The OP has probably already finished their cruise by now.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NM Lady (Mary Kay) & Joe
Platinum on NCL, 2-Star Mariner on HAL

Booked: NCL Jade: b2b Dec 17, 2018 - Jan 4, 2019

1999-2016: 23 cruises
12 NCL, 2 HAL, 2 RCI, 2 Carnival, 2 Celebrity, 2 Oceania,
and 1 Radisson now Regent, around Italy (a sweepstakes prize!)
Chicago
9,928 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Ideally you don't want anything that is too wide, so a side by side might not work. Ship hallways are narrow and when the cleaning cart is in the hallway it might be difficult to get through.
An inline stroller is your best bet, but I don't see any like there used to be back in the 70's. This is the closest I could find. You really don't want anything huge, something that will fold up small because you won't have a lot of room in the cabin to store it. It is against the law to park anything in the hallway -- so you'll have to work around the thing when you're not using it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. ~Kahlil Gibran

Dude, don't you understand the first rule of holes? When you find yourself in a hole stop digging. Take it from a fellow Gopher.
~Planer's Edge

A passport, as I'm sure you know, is a document that one shows to government officials whenever one reaches a border between countries, so the officials can learn who you are, where you were born, and how you look when photographed unflatteringly.
~Lemony Snicket

Cruised:

Fredericksburg, va. USA
87,033 Posts
Joined May 2001
With kids that young, you will be packing BUNCHES of stuff. You need to bring ALL the baby stuff you'll need. Diapers, wipes, multiple changes of clothes (I know my kids "leaked" frequently...ick), any medications you MIGHT need, as the ship doesn't sell pediatric stuff at all.

For the older tot...it won't take as much stuff...and they are "of age" for the kid's clubs, if you might want to utilize that. Most kids enjoy it a lot!
SoCal
10,937 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by cb at sea
With kids that young, you will be packing BUNCHES of stuff. You need to bring ALL the baby stuff you'll need. Diapers, wipes, multiple changes of clothes (I know my kids "leaked" frequently...ick), any medications you MIGHT need, as the ship doesn't sell pediatric stuff at all.

For the older tot...it won't take as much stuff...and they are "of age" for the kid's clubs, if you might want to utilize that. Most kids enjoy it a lot!
Since OP asked the question April 2017, stating that her cruise was "in two weeks", I'm fairly certain she's figured out what to take.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DCLHAL Carnival Princess Vantage
22 Cruises, 13 ships, 217 nights
Chicago
9,928 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
Originally posted by Khar1852
What double stroller did you have? Trying to decide what stroller to purchase for a cruise in August with 7 month old & 2.5 yr old. Thanks
Originally posted by Shmoo here
Since OP asked the question April 2017, stating that her cruise was "in two weeks", I'm fairly certain she's figured out what to take.
Well Schmoo, Khar1852 resurrected this thread yesterday asking about what type of stroller was used I answered that post and the next poster just piggy-backed on bringing EVERYTHING that the infant needs.

Just answering questions when asked.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

~Planer's Edge

~Lemony Snicket

Cruised:

NW
25 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
Originally posted by Libbywhite14
Hi Everyone! We're cruising in 2 weeks on Carnival Liberty to Nassau and Freeport with our 2 young daughters. One is 3.5 and the other will be 9 months. Does anyone have any suggestions for packing items to make our lives easier? I've compiled my own list and also have done some reading around on various forums, but want to make sure I don't miss anything. This will be our first time cruising! Also any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I've heard the suggestion for an over-door clear shoe holder as a great way to store/keep and divide supplies (out of reach of young arms). And some lines let you pre-order baby food.