Sea Shell Collecting: Best Beaches in the Caribbean?

My 5 and 11 yr old daughters are avid shell collectors (whatever that means).

It seems that sea shells were difficult to find on our last cruise, so i’m seeking advice in advance of our next cruise.

What beaches offer us the best chance for the kids to collect shells and for the adults to enjoy a nice beach day?

We’re stopping at St. Maarten, San Juan and Labadee.

Thank you in advance!

On some islands it is illegal.

That is what I thought also, but I just wanted the OP to check on it for herself. That way it will be easier to tell her kids that they can't do it if the officers let them know directly while on the ship.

That is what I thought also, but I just wanted the OP to check on it for herself. That way it will be easier to tell her kids that they can't do it if the officers let them know directly while on the ship.

Right. An antecedent, someone I know picked up some conch shells at Nellies beach on Labadee. They were confiscated by security. Also some shells may be occupied....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In all these ports, you should be able to purchase sea shells in the shops. No problem taking shells that are purchased in shops back on the ship. Rather than have your kids find out that they will not be allowed to bring any shells they have found on the beach back to the ship when reboarding, save them the grief and disappointment.

MARAPRINCE

We went on a tour while in St Maarten that stopped by a local that made a living (tips) by showing live sea creatures to tourists and had some "abandoned" shells and coral that you could buy. I bought a couple and when we got back to the ship they were confiscated because I hadn't bought them in an official shop [emoji22]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app