Adventure of the Seas Updated Details on 2016 Refurb

Geez, what a disappointment. I'm starting to wonder what they actually accomplished in the dry dock. It seems like they failed to do more than they actually did. :rolleyes:

To say they "failed" just isn't correct. They relied on the delivery of items for the drydock, and the hurricane didn't allow for the deliveries. It was literally impossible to get all of the items for drydock.

I worked at a company that coordinated shipping by container (rail and sea) and it was incredibly complicated, and weather could destroy all of the plans. Just like what happened to a lot of Adventure's drydock.

I worked at a company that coordinated shipping by container (rail and sea) and it was incredibly complicated, and weather could destroy all of the plans. Just like what happened to a lot of Adventure's drydock.

I agree, weather can be a real pain. But let me ask you a question: if you were planning a $60 million project would you have your materials delivered just a few days before the project was scheduled to start? Probably not, it would be foolish.

The hurricane hit only a few days prior to the scheduled dry dock. Since the materials weren't there before hand it simply means that not enough buffer was built into the shipping schedule. Who plans a 60 million dollar project and only has the materials delivered two or three days before the project starts? To my mind that's a failure to plan.

I'm not debating the complexity of the issue, I'm sure the shipping is very complicated. My point is that, it appwars that somebody failed to build reasonable contingencies into the project delivery schedule. You're doing a project in the Caribbean in the middle of hurricane season that can only happen on roughly a 5 year schedule. It's not unreasonable to expect bad weather so you'd better plan for it.

Granted, this is all speculation on my part, just my $0.02.

I agree. This was a very aggressive dry dock schedule. It was actually unlikely in perfect conditions it was going to be completed in the time frame scheduled.

However, I was on the sailing immediately following the dry dock. I do have to say the Ship even with showing wear was still very nice. The staff was excellent and we had a great time.

Chops items available in Giovanni's (until Chops opens in January)....

Large shrimp cocktail (larger shrimp than dining room)

Mushroom soup

Chops filet

Mud pie

Following all these posts .... please keep providing updates!

Any theme dining nights I need to prepare for? Only 11 days until we fly out so my shopping window is narrowing.

I agree, weather can be a real pain. But let me ask you a question: if you were planning a $60 million project would you have your materials delivered just a few days before the project was scheduled to start? Probably not, it would be foolish.

The hurricane hit only a few days prior to the scheduled dry dock. Since the materials weren't there before hand it simply means that not enough buffer was built into the shipping schedule. Who plans a 60 million dollar project and only has the materials delivered two or three days before the project starts? To my mind that's a failure to plan.

I'm not debating the complexity of the issue, I'm sure the shipping is very complicated. My point is that, it appwars that somebody failed to build reasonable contingencies into the project delivery schedule. You're doing a project in the Caribbean in the middle of hurricane season that can only happen on roughly a 5 year schedule. It's not unreasonable to expect bad weather so you'd better plan for it.

This is my line of thinking exactly. Anybody who plans a major refurb to be done in a port in the hurricane zone, during hurricane season and doesnt allow a little time in the plan to get everything delivered early is an idiot.

Hmmmm....we are on the 12/10 sailing. Doesn't seem like slides will be ready.

Missing Izumi - check

Missing Chops Steakhouse - check

Missing Waterslide - check

Missing updated Concierge Club (we are in a Grand Suite) - check

Missing 25% discount offered to prior passengers with same amenities we will have (or not) on this sailing - check

Not terribly excited about this since I booked and made final payment based on anticipated updates. I get that storms happen - what I don't get is how this mess is being managed. Will advise once onboard on the 10th of December.

These are great points.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Onboard now and our mattress was not changed out, hard as sheet of plywood. Others onboard believe their's were changed. Glass door to balcony is all hazed up in between the double pane door glass, can't see nothing through door of aft balcony. Rest of ship looks good, crew in dining room a little green, just been on since shipyard. I like their effort and attitude. Everyone got to start somewhere for first time. Food is ok, had worst.

Onboard now and our mattress was not changed out, hard as sheet of plywood. Others onboard believe their's were changed. Glass door to balcony is all hazed up in between the double pane door glass, can't see nothing through door of aft balcony. Rest of ship looks good, crew in dining room a little green, just been on since shipyard. I like their effort and attitude. Everyone got to start somewhere for first time. Food is ok, had worst.

The hard as plywood mattresses ARE the new ones aren't they??

Enjoy your cruise! Sorry about the damaged seal on your door!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you mind sharing which aft balcony you are in? We have an aft in January. Any pictures of the room and rest of ship would be great- especially new areas! Thanks.

If they send drydock-supply containers far in advance then they are paying fees to have the containers held at the port. And those fees aren't low. And they could still be damaged by storms coming through.

Scheduling drydock, scheduling for the items to be made, be available, be put in the containers to be shipped from who knows where and to arrive is tricky and expensive. They should send it early and pay extra fees. And schedule the port personnel needed and workers. Now we have to do it during the *other* 6ish months of the year with a lower risk of hurricanes but somehow miss high vacation season? You guys are making difficult demands.

I am affected by this. But I still recognize that the scheduling of it was likely done the only way it could this time for this ship.

If you guys think rci are lying and are idiots, how on earth can you trust them enough to sail with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didnt they remove the sports bar?

Sports Bar still on the promenade, along with 2 soda machines (Freestyle soda) next to the coffee bar area (Cafe Promenade). I also saw one up in the Windjammer, their may be more, but have really looked for them.

Luvmypetz show times are running 7pm for late dining and 9pm for early. Our early dining time is 6pm, except for 1st day which was 6:30. First muster drill is at 5:45, so they pushed back early dining to 6:30.

Like skiiergirl stated, the promenade looks the same.

For this cruise 1st formal night was on the 2nd day after leaving St. Thomas port. 2nd formal night is tonight (4th day and a sea day).

San Juan was a rainy day, along with St. Kitts. Several excursions canceled. We did the zip line in St. Kitts and it was not canceled. Everyone was soaked after the excursion. Today is a sea day and sun was out until mid afternoon, but no rain yet.

No signs of any work, except for the water slide. They had a crew up working on it, while we was in St. Kitt's port.

Hope it works out by then, the "Chops experience" at Giovanni's was what they sold us last week and it wasn't close to the same thing. Completely different styles of restaurant and making a couple of items grudgingly available is not comparable.

Agree with you 100%. One of the things we were looking forward to on our recent sailing was Chops because we really enjoyed it on other ships. We were told Giovanni's would have the Chops menu. As it turned out, it was a very limited menu (4 items). We had to specifically ask and even then the waiter acted like we offended him. We ordered a mix of items, the food was ok and the service was very slow. Not what I expected from Giovanni's because I had heard it was very good also.