Beers

jackdiamond

Since Michael's Club now features craft beers, I wonder if anyone has had the pleasure of drinking that Irish Red Beer, the name of which I cannot recall. If so, and if you can recall the name, I would be most pleased to hear from you. My first thought is that it might be George Foster, by I am not certain of the aforesaid.

Thank you B1G that is quite a llist. I wonder if what I am looking for is George's Irish beer. I usually have it every St. Pats day here in SWFL, with my corned beef and cabbage etc., but it is difficult to find. Last year I found it at Total Wine, but nowhere else. But, as you can observe, I am not certain of the name. Old age has some benefits, but not many.

Looking at the menu at Micheals club, it looks like Oharas red ale might be the one. I have never had it but enjoy kilians irish red and smithwicks. Both are ales and i am sure you will enjoy them. I will check out Micheals club on the sillouette over new years. enjoy:)

Looking at the menu at Micheals club, it looks like Oharas red ale might be the one. I have never had it but enjoy kilians irish red and smithwicks. Both are ales and i am sure you will enjoy them. I will check out Micheals club on the sillouette over new years. enjoy:)

Thank you. Killians Irish Red is it.

My concern about the "craft beers" is that they have a shelf/bottle life. I'm not sure the turnover is great enough on the ship so some of the bottles may just be too old. My cynical nature tells me that they don't track if a bottle is too old, they just sell it. Always check the best by: date and don't let them pour it for you and take the bottle before you look at it.

Don't confuse Killians with an Irish beer, however! You may already know this, but Killians is brewed by Coors in Colorado! :)

Thank you; and, I was not aware of the aforesaid. As a matter of fact, I just bought a 6 pack today for Thanksgiving. I suppose I should have stayed with the Irish wine for that day. Oh Well!

My concern about the "craft beers" is that they have a shelf/bottle life. I'm not sure the turnover is great enough on the ship so some of the bottles may just be too old. My cynical nature tells me that they don't track if a bottle is too old, they just sell it. Always check the best by: date and don't let them pour it for you and take the bottle before you look at it.

That is a very astute observation. As a matter of fact, I have essentially absented myself from beer ingestion, except on special occassions. But some of the best beer I have ingested in years were a couple of home brews of my oldest son; and, theywere consumed within a day or two of their brewing.

I think it might be the Old Speckled Hen?

Now you are talking!

I see they sell OSH on P&O too. Bottled.

Looking forward to drinking the odd one on Aurora round the Eastern Med starting next week. Make a change from Celebrity. Hope I do not miss Solstice Class too much.:rolleyes:

The beers that I consider "good beers" generally can last over a year when kept at decent temperatures and out of sunlight. Some of them even has best-buy dates 2+ years in the future when I buy them here. Doesn't work for all beers though I guess.

One should also know where the beer is actually made....and the label is sometimes not enough information...there are those little words...brewed under license from xxx...and similar. I believe that some beers are pasturized before they are brought into the US. Some beers are actually brewed in the US, although they have foreign labels. Most British Ales/bitters are quite different when served in the UK than what you drink out of the bottle in the US....etc. Then of course there is the temperature of the beer.....much beer around the world is drunk at close to room temperature....and, of course, the only good guiness comes from a keg.

Finally, most of the beers sold on the ship are available at your local beer store and you will buy a six pack for the price you will pay on the ship for one.

So the beer pub concept is fun....but unlike the martini bar vodkas, beer is far more complicated to buy, store and serve.

One should also know where the beer is actually made....and the label is sometimes not enough information...there are those little words...brewed under license from xxx...and similar. I believe that some beers are pasturized before they are brought into the US. Some beers are actually brewed in the US, although they have foreign labels. Most British Ales/bitters are quite different when served in the UK than what you drink out of the bottle in the US....etc. Then of course there is the temperature of the beer.....much beer around the world is drunk at close to room temperature....and, of course, the only good guiness comes from a keg.

Finally, most of the beers sold on the ship are available at your local beer store and you will buy a six pack for the price you will pay on the ship for one.

So the beer pub concept is fun....but unlike the martini bar vodkas, beer is far more complicated to buy, store and serve.

I believe that you are correct. I just paid about 6.00-7.00, for a six pack of Killians. Until the last year or so, this has been a difficult beer to find in SWFL, but I found mine today after purachasing my corned beef for the Thanksgiving festival.

I believe that you are correct. I just paid about 6.00-7.00, for a six pack of Killians. Until the last year or so, this has been a difficult beer to find in SWFL, but I found mine today after purachasing my corned beef for the Thanksgiving festival.

It's brewed by Coors (US) and I think it's consistently stocked at Publix in SWFL.

DH made quite a study of the beers at Michaels on Summit (would have tried more if the hours had been more amenable). He had no concerns with freshness; he did comment that the glasses should not have been chilled for most of the beers served. We found the prices pretty consistent with those at craft beer bars in the Chicago areas - you can't compare bar prices to those you pay in the grocery or liquor store for any type of alcohol.

The beers that I consider "good beers" generally can last over a year when kept at decent temperatures and out of sunlight. Some of them even has best-buy dates 2+ years in the future when I buy them here. Doesn't work for all beers though I guess.

Most high ABV beers can be aged. This would include Barleywines, Belgians, Imperial Stouts, Double/Imperial IPAs, etc. The alcohol keeps the flavor from going off. I've cellared Belgians for up to 8 years and they were still tasty.

Freshness mostly impacts low ABV American Adjunct Lager (Bud and its ilk) and very hoppy IPA/Pale Ales. Hops are the first thing to fall out of a beer, so a 'stale' IPA will still be drinkable, just not have the bitter taste from the hops. The list I've seen for Michael's shows that they are mostly offering moderately hopped ales like Sierra Nevada Pale, so I'm not terribly worried. I will check the 'best by' date, though. Just because I'm curious.

We have found out in my country that if you cellar Young Belgians, wihout feeding them, they go bad quickly. sorry couldn't resist, probably not Appropriate humour in the USA...:o

I have decided to check out Michaels during our upcoming cruise, but I will NOT drink any Belgian beers but will take the opportunity to sample some fine American brews. any suggestions?

By the way,why on Earth is Heineken on the list? we consider that not even beer but a certain secretion fluid...:eek:

I have decided to check out Michaels during our upcoming cruise, but I will NOT drink any Belgian beers but will take the opportunity to sample some fine American brews. any suggestions?

By the way,why on Earth is Heineken on the list? we consider that not even beer but a certain secretion fluid...:eek:

I view Heineken the same way! DH and I were just in Brussels for the Beer Weekend and avoided Heineken and Stella like the plague. Why, with sooo many tasty beers, do people drink that pee water?!

For American craft beer, the most popular style is the IPA. Stone is one of the flag bearers. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is a less bitter brew and very drinkable. The Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA packs a wallop, but if you like strong IPAs it is one of the best. You can't go wrong with any of these.

We have found out in my country that if you cellar Young Belgians, wihout feeding them, they go bad quickly. sorry couldn't resist, probably not Appropriate humour in the USA...:o

I'm afraid that coming from the land of beer, you are going to be sadly dissapointed by most of what is on offer!!

Oh, and for everyone's information Old Speckled Hen as brewed in the UK is neither a "craft" beer nor a "porter".

Since Michael's Club now features craft beers, I wonder if anyone has had the pleasure of drinking that Irish Red Beer, the name of which I cannot recall. If so, and if you can recall the name, I would be most pleased to hear from you. My first thought is that it might be George Foster, by I am not certain of the aforesaid.

Murphy's Irish Red is, I believe the answer, I have put a link but can't be sure it will remain.

http://www.gayot.com/beer/top10irishbeers/murphys-irish-red.html

Old Speckled Hen is English and not Red........

Brewed by Greene King of Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk.

OK it is not up to the standard of Butcombe, Bath Ales etc but it is a darn sight better than Bud, Heineken etc.

The number of micro breweries in Britain has this year reached four figures - for the first time in my lifetime.

Now when will Michaels go that extra mile and have a decent micro brewery ale! Perhaps they could start with Sharps Doombar, a Cornish ale bought by Molsen Coors in the last year or so.:p

Archived