gold, platinum, diamond

bobvick

Can anyone give me an approzimate percentage of how many Gold, and especially platinum or diamond cruisers you'll find on a typical 7 day cruise? I know it varies cruise to cruise but coming on this board it seems like practically all of you are platinum or diamond.

Thanks,

Vicky

There are approx 3000 Platinum cruisers fleet wide of which approx 700 are Diamond. It's such a rarity on Carnival that I was denied boarding by security in Cabo San Lucas because they did not recognize the Diamond card. Many more on the East Coast then the West Coast, but far fewer than on other lines that have a much larger loyalty base.

There are approx 3000 Platinum cruisers fleet wide of which approx 700 are Diamond. It's such a rarity on Carnival that I was denied boarding by security in Cabo San Lucas because they did not recognize the Diamond card. Many more on the East Coast then the West Coast, but far fewer than on other lines that have a much larger loyalty base.

Wow, only 3000 Platinum? I figured there were many more. I'm surprised:)

I thought there were way more than 3000. Where did you get these figures from?

From a Face Book page related to this subject. That number will grow quite a bit by the end of this year as those that were close to 10 cruises will do what it takes to make it there.

Remember, Carnival appeals to a first time cruiser crowd. If you look around at the S/S cards, you will see far more blue than any other color.

There have been between 10 and 25 diamond members on each of my 4 cruises this winter. The 3000 number for platinum seems very low to me.

Where are you cruising from? If FL, then yes, but still, if there are 25 on a ship that holds 3000 passengers, that is still less than 10%. What you have to think about is how many people per week are sailing on a Carnival cruise and how many of them are Platinum/Diamond.

And as I stated earlier, more are joining the ranks now that there is a deadline. I am one of the "old timers" that was two cruises away from Platinum when they first introduced the program.

There has to be way more than 3000 Platinum. 30,000 would seem low to me. Appears to be 100s on each cruise I'm on. What is the source of the data on Platinum guests?

A person that works at the Carnival Platinum desk. 30,000 would be way too high. I referenced my source earlier if you really want to delve into it.

I understand how you are amazed that the number is so low, but again, next time you cruise, check out the color of the S/S cards and you will see what I am talking about. Carnival is really about a first time cruiser market. If you compare the loyalty perks on Carnival vs other cruise lines, you'll wonder why I didn't jump ship!

RCCL, Holland Amercia, Princess have a much larger loyalty base. Carnival recently changed the VIFP program to avoid what happened to Royal Caribbean when they changed theirs and all of a sudden, people got demoted.

Perhaps we should do a Platinum rolling-count survey?

My Wife and I are 2/3000; only 2998 (or so) more to go. :rolleyes:

There is already a thread (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=366497&highlight=platinum) about how many Platinum cruisers there are. As of August 19, 2011, there are 445 CC names listed (probably about 500 names total).

On our Splendor cruise in December, there were only 3 Diamond cruisers.

Interesting topic...I have wondered myself but never thought I would see a thread about this so I will out myself. Platinum Carnival...one more till Diamond....and Diamond on Cunard....which is awkward at 36 years old!

I love the sea!!! That's all I can say. I love the escape of the everyday. Even in light of the Triumph and the negative conditions some endured I would and will sail again...this year one Carnival 7 day and one Cunard QM2 either 4th of July get a way or a transatlantic to visit family in the UK. Let me say again I love the sea. I remember my first sight of a beautiful ship (QE2) and what a wonderful time I had at the age of 11.

Happy sailing!!!

I became platinum on the 2nd leg of my B2B on the Miracle (8 days x 2) last April, then did another 8-day in October, & bought into the unexpected 2-day on the Pride after Hurricane Sandy cancelled her usual 7-day itinerary.

I'm delighted with the early embarkation/disembarkation, the past-guest party & the chocolate covered strawberries! I'm not surprised at the number "3000"...because I, also, see an awful lot of blue S&S cards.

So now we're down to 2993!

They changed the program guidelines and gave those who were close to the old Platinum or Diamond levels until the end of 2013 to cruise and become that higher level. We have now done 9 Carnival cruises and next time will be our Platinum cruise--if we go this year, and, of course; we will!!

The numbers in each of the levels of loyalty are a closely guarded secret by all cruise lines according to John Heald. This is internal marketing information that they don't want published and any information regarding those numbers is purely speculation, regardless of what media site they are being reported on.

While I agree that the new cruiser seems to be the target population that Carnival is striving for. I see plenty of fellow Platinum cruisers on my cruises.

On my recent B2B on the Breeze there were at least 200 people already in the VIP lounge when I got there at 10:30am....the 2nd week was John Healds bloggers cruise and he indicated that there were more than 600 Platinum's among the Bloggers group...I believe there were only 4 Diamonds on the 1st week, but there were 25+ on the 2nd week.

They changed the program guidelines and gave those who were close to the old Platinum or Diamond levels until the end of 2013 to cruise and become that higher level. We have now done 9 Carnival cruises and next time will be our Platinum cruise--if we go this year, and, of course; we will!!

The end of 2013 only applies to those close to the Platinum level, not the Diamond level...I know only so well as I was very close to Diamond when this new VIFP went into effect...I called Carnival and was told that I would not be elevated to the Diamond status until I had my 200 days in (which I have now)

It would have been really nice- if they had done the same thing at the Diamond level-just as many rushed to get to 10 cruises to get grandfathered into Platinum- we rushed to get to 25 (the old Milestone level) with the hope that would equate to new Diamond level. Sadly it did not- but we've still enjoyed every cruise. While it will take us a lot longer to get to Diamond now, we still enjoy all our Platinum benefits very much. We always enjoy when the crew says "Welcome Home" and "Welcome Back".

I try to look at this as a mathematical questoin. Currently, Carnival has 24 ships in service. That includes the Destiny and Triumph, which are now in dry dock. But for this analysis, lets just say that all ships are active throughout the entire year. Some ships have two sailings per week, with others doing a 5/5/4 sailings over a two week period, and then there are the ships that sail a full week or more. Based on the ships sailing their same schedule thoughout the year, there are approximately 32 embarkations per week, if the average ship capacity for Carnival Cruise Lines per week is 2,500 passengers, that is 80,000 passengers cruise each week, or 4.16 million passengers per year.

Now let's assume that only 1% of the passengers are Platinum or Diamond, that is 80 passengers per week or 4,160 passengers per year. But 1% is too low, it is probably more in the 5% of all passengers, so that puts the number of passengers sailing in a given year of around 20k.

But that does not mean that there are 20,000 Platinum or Diamond members, in fact that number probably should be cut in half given the fact that these members sail 2 or more times a year. Therefore, my guess would be around 10,000, but probably less than that.

This is just a quick math way of looking at this.

Archived