Restaurants close to Cruise terminal in New York there in April

Rome2016

Hi we are cruising with Oceania in April this year and will be in New York for the day from 8am till 11pm and would love to do dinner out ...does anyone know of restaurants not far from terminal that would be nice for dinner

Thanks

Wander over to Ninth Avenue, about 10 to 15 minutes walk. There are at least a dozen restaurants on each block, all sorts of cuisines. Our favorites are Marseilles and Turkish Cuisine.

Where exactly are you staying and do you only want to walk to a restaurant or would you take a taxi etc?

NYC has restaurants everywhere and there are many many from which to choose! I am originally from NYC and go back to stay in Manhattan often but we sometime take the subway or taxi to get to places instead of just walking.

What would you prefer??

This map shows some highly rated steak places:

https://www.zagat.com/l/best-steakhouses-in-nyc

This one shows Italian:

https://www.zagat.com/l/best-italian-restaurants-in-nyc

We ate at La Masseria last year and really enjoyed the food, even though we were rushed due to theater plans afterwards. The restaurant was able to accommodate us without reservations, but you might consider reservations if you decide on this (or any other) restaurant.

I wrote a bit about our experience in this blog post: http://2totravelrtw180.blogspot.com/2018/02/day-172-new-york-city-new-york.html ... scroll down towards the bottom.

If I were eating off the ship in NYC, I'd probably break the bank and go for World class fine dining in Daniel or Per Se.

If that is not your thing, I'd suggest a restaurant where the city itself is the lure. Somewhere that could not be duplicated anywhere else on the planet.

the-view.jpg

The aptly named "The View" restaurant on the 48th floor of the Marriott Marquis is just such a place.

https://www.theviewnyc.com/

The food is really very good, the drinks are generous, and there is the added benefit of "passing above" your floodlit cruise ship as you dine.....nothing more festive, and a great opportunity to "bless the ship" with a smart cocktail!

marinanightext1.jpg

I lived in NYC for some years and now that I live in the Bay Area there are only 2 things I miss from my NY days (food-wise).

One is NY pizza and the other is pastrami - neither of those can I find in our area of the same quality.

That is what I look for in NY (we have our own, original Per Se in French Laundry and any number of other fine restaurants).

OP may be looking for something else :)

+ 1 on pizza or pastrami but with a caveat. I used to tell everyone that NY had the best pizza in the country and get it anywhere. On my most recent visit to NYC, we had really mediocre pizza in what looked like a good neighborhood pizza parlor. Delis can be iffy too. Get a recommendation if possible (on chowhound you can specify a neighborhood and sometimes get a really good rec) or as suggested above, go to Little Italy.

For authentic, Kosher deli, 2nd Ave. Deli on East 33rd Street. For pizza, John's in the Village on Bleeker Street, or Times Square! For deli that is not Kosher, Barney Greengrass, Amsterdam Ave. All are REAL NY, fabulous food! If you are into a fun bar scene for drinks (beer and wine, only), McSorley's Old Ale House on East 7th St. These are very casual places, but very NY. John's on Bleeker is not a sit down venue, but more a pizza stand and eat, but well worth it. The John's in Times Square is sit down dining.

You might opt to taxi it, but NY is very much a walker's city!

Enjoy! We are headed home in May and these are some of our must go to places!

Denise

(aka nyfeds!)

Edited by nyfeds

For great authentic Italian cuisine at a fair price try Cellini. 54 between mad and park.

For deli I second the 2nd ave deli

I would not eat in a hotel

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For great authentic Italian cuisine at a fair price try Cellini. 54 between mad and park.

For deli I second the 2nd ave deli

I would not eat in a hotel

It's a mistake to dismiss hotel dining so easily. Imago at the Hassler in Rome is spectacular.

https://www.hotelhasslerroma.com/en/restaurants-bars/imago/?utm_source=mybusiness&utm_medium=organic

Personally, I would not eat in Little Italy. Just too very touristy now. China town can be fun. New York has so many great restaurants and things to do, some of the world's best museums, you really need to narrow down the type of food you want to eat, how fancy a restaurant, what you want to spend, etc. The restaurant scene in NY is very dynamic. Restaurants open and close all the time. Some can go downhill fast. FYI, the best restaurants can be booked well in advance. E.g., some may already be booked for when you plan to be here. Zagat should help. You can also look at Bloomberg.com. I am not sure I really trust tripadvisor.

If I were eating off the ship in NYC, I'd probably break the bank and go for World class fine dining in Daniel or Per Se.

If that is not your thing, I'd suggest a restaurant where the city itself is the lure. Somewhere that could not be duplicated anywhere else on the planet.

the-view.jpg

The aptly named "The View" restaurant on the 48th floor of the Marriott Marquis is just such a place.

https://www.theviewnyc.com/

The food is really very good, the drinks are generous, and there is the added benefit of "passing above" your floodlit cruise ship as you dine.....nothing more festive, and a great opportunity to "bless the ship" with a smart cocktail!

marinanightext1.jpg

As a surprise gift for my 60th birthday my husband booked a trip to New York for us in April 2017. For the evening of my birthday he had booked a table at The View. We had a wonderful evening there: the view was (of course :D) great, service was terrific and the food delicious. What I liked was that much of the food was sourced locally and regionally. And our server, Tony, really made the evening for us. We would go there again in a heartbeat.

Regards, Mirjam

Daniel and Per se are not really authentic ny food experiences imo. Great for tourists. Eat where New Yorkers eat for great food and a great experience

Dirty water hot dog carts are "authentic" as well. :p

When YOU go to a new city, do you search for what is average there, or, for what is "the best" there?

I might be missing it, but did the OP mention a budget?

Quite a range of options have been mentioned, from relatively inexpensive and casual to extremely expensive and dressy.

What is "the best" is certainly variable. When I venture to a new place, I typically don't seek out the most expensive, famous places, but rather places where local residents might drop in to on a weeknight for a good meal at a decent price. To me, that is "the best".

I definitely second the call to avoid Little Italy. It's nothing like it used to be and is full of really bad restaurants that cater to tourists who simply don't know any better.

Dirty water hot dog carts are "authentic" as well. :p

When YOU go to a new city, do you search for what is average there, or, for what is "the best" there?

Grab a Sabrett Hot Dog or a pretzel from a street vendor. Iconic and very New York.

In any city I try to eat like a local. I want to know where the locals go for a great meal. "Best" has nothing to do with price.

Not to Per Se or Daniel or any other similar restaurant. Not to hotels. That's largely for tourists and the expense account crowd.

I've been to Per Se and Daniel and probably every other 5 star restaurant in NY -- overrated IMO.

There are so many wonderful places to eat in NY for way less and a much more authentic experience.

Try Il Mulino -- very hard to get in but amazing food and ambiance.

Or try Jubilee on 1st Avenue for the most amazing mussels farcie or steak frites on the planet.

If you want pricey, go to the Union Square Cafe

I could go on.