Special Diet Questions

First of all, do I understand that I can give HAL a list of specific food items that I would like them to use in food prep for me? These would include: pasture-raised cream, goat milk, paleo pancake/waffle mix, etc.

If they won't acquire, can I carry them onboard? I wouldn't bring items that the kitchen would use for preparation, but we believe we do have a frig in the Pinnacle Suite (right?) where I could store the pasture raised cream for my coffee ;p

Thanks in advance for you help.

Probably best if you go back to whomever who told you that you could do this to get confirmation. Pinnacle Suites are certainly another world, so get the best advice directly from those who are handling this suite choice for you.

Not sure how elaborate a food prep area there is in the Pinnacle Suite for in-cabin prep. CDC watches the ship's food prep areas like hawks, so also not sure how much free latitude they can grant for personal use of their galley facilities for personal food items and personal food prep requests. Nor do we know what countries you are visiting that may have their own restrictions about certain food stuffs that you can bring on board. Anything in commercially sealed packages seem to be okay to get past these restrictions.

Always interesting to learn what personalized perks can come with a Pinnacle Suite.

We have stayed many times in the PS cabins.

There is a great refrigerator there -- nothing to really freeze anything.

There is no stove. There is a SUPER power microwave -- way more powerful that what you have at home. There is no way you can cook anything there yourself.

All foods must be prepared by the chefs/cooks on board the ship.

I don't know who gave you information for the PS. But you may encounter food problems on your cruise.

Doubt it to both questions. It is my understanding from reading numerous reviews that HAL works with people with special diets in regard to the menu, its offerings and the dietary restrictions. It would be very uncommon for HAL to order special ingredients for specific passengers. HAL orders in bulk and the need to satisfy multiple special ingredients would rarely be in bulk.

In addition, storing and marking these ingredients, some of which may need separate storing facilities, can be very problematic on a ship where space is at a premium.

As for bringing ingredients on board with you - that I expect would be a direct NO. HAL has to ensure and protect the safety and integrity of all its food stuffs and cannot take the risk that any item that you bring on board may be contaminated in any way. Also, I would guess that HAL would not want the responsibility of storing and safeguarding any of these food items as you are on a ship at sea and it would be virtually impossible to replace any item that may be mistakenly used or inadvertently destroyed or thrown away.

I know my husband brought his own Vegemite for breakfasts in the Lido and on a couple of occasions the Lido waiters tried to take it off the table to put it with the communal condiments. We had never seen a yeast extract product (Vegemite/Marmite/etc.) on any HAL ship, so this time he brought his own.

And we routinely bring our own tea bags, especially now that HAL has discontinued the delightful house Darjeeling blend they used to have.

But for ingredients used in making dishes, I seriously doubt that would be allowed.

Thanks, everyone. I will take it to HAL for confirmation about what types of foods I can bring onboard for my own use. I read several accounts where people said they filled out a form for special orders... I will get confirmation on that as well and report back :halo: We are boarding in Seattle to cruise Alaska and then returning to Seattle.

I am sure it will all be good. This is our first time in a Pinnacle Suite so partly we are figuring out what access we'll have to the frig and microwave... Sorry for any confusion regarding cooking my own meals--there won't be any of that;p I can stay home and cook:D

Thanks, everyone. I will take it to HAL for confirmation about what types of foods I can bring onboard for my own use. I read several accounts where people said they filled out a form for special orders... I will get confirmation on that as well and report back :halo: We are boarding in Seattle to cruise Alaska and then returning to Seattle.

I am sure it will all be good. This is our first time in a Pinnacle Suite so partly we are figuring out what access we'll have to the frig and microwave... Sorry for any confusion regarding cooking my own meals--there won't be any of that;p I can stay home and cook:D

The confusion may have come from people being able to order special HAL prepared meals due to dietary restrictions or other concerns. Then HAL apparently gets pre-packaged items ahead of time to meet those restrictions. So if you prefer to have one of those pre-packaged meal plans, this can be arranged ahead of time. But to bring special items that are prepared especially for you, even in the Pinnacle Suite by a staff member, may well be a stretch.

Please let us know what you learn - after all they did put in a food prep area in your special cabin. The Seattle local farmers markets can probably provide most anything that you want to bring on board, that at least you can keep in your cabin refrigerator. I believe the "rule" is you can bring those sorts of natural items (food, flowers) on board for in cabin, but you can't take them off.

The confusion may have come from people being able to order special HAL prepared meals due to dietary restrictions or other concerns. Then HAL apparently gets pre-packaged items ahead of time to meet those restrictions. So if you prefer to have one of those pre-packaged meal plans, this can be arranged ahead of time. But to bring special items that are prepared especially for you, even in the Pinnacle Suite by a staff member, may well be a stretch.

Please let us know what you learn - after all they did put in a food prep area in your special cabin. The Seattle local farmers markets can probably provide most anything that you want to bring on board, that at least you can keep in your cabin refrigerator. I believe the "rule" is you can bring those sorts of natural items (food, flowers) on board for in cabin, but you can't take them off.

Thanks, OlsSalt! This gives a sense of context I didn't have before and will definitely help me approach HAL with an informed question :D

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a few answers and waiting for more ;p

First, I emailed HAL's special diet address... still no response that way.

Then, I called HAL Ship Services and spoke with a lovely woman named Fran. She confirmed that food--any food that is unopened in its original container--can be brought onto the ship as a carry-on. So, that's one answer:D

She also gave me a name of a specific person I could contact with specific requests. That person will contact the appropriate people on the ship to see if these requests (favorite no sugar added desserts made gluten free as well, primarily) could be accommodated. She also will check on the different ingredients I would like HAL to carry for us. She said HAL will yay or nay each one and let me know if there would be an extra charge to accommodate. That email is sent, AND it may be awhile before I hear back.

I would guess the more reasonable your expectations and undemanding you are a a bou t you food needs, the better it will be. I don' think they can assign you a personal chef to cook for you only but, you will see..... However, imagine if even 50% of t hose on the ship had that list of requests... How could they manage it all? HAL tries to be as accomodating as possible but there have to be some limits. Good luck. Please let us know how it goes.

I am curious how hotels manage for you when you travel or average restaurants when you dine out? I t must be difficult at times?

Be aware the mircowavew in the Pinnacle is commericial and food gets VERY HOT Very fast. No one warned me but I sure learned fast. :)

I've got a few answers and waiting for more ;p

First, I emailed HAL's special diet address... still no response that way.

Then, I called HAL Ship Services and spoke with a lovely woman named Fran. She confirmed that food--any food that is unopened in its original container--can be brought onto the ship as a carry-on. So, that's one answer:D

She also gave me a name of a specific person I could contact with specific requests. That person will contact the appropriate people on the ship to see if these requests (favorite no sugar added desserts made gluten free as well, primarily) could be accommodated. She also will check on the different ingredients I would like HAL to carry for us. She said HAL will yay or nay each one and let me know if there would be an extra charge to accommodate. That email is sent, AND it may be awhile before I hear back.

Would you be able to share the number of the person that is helping you with the special requests? I have an allergy which makes it difficult for me to order at times. If I could tell them ahead of time, especially about the desserts, that would be wonderful! If they could make mashed potatoes using soy milk or whip cream free desserts (chocolate cake with fudge icing is just fine) then I would be in heaven. Thank you!

Would you be able to share the number of the person that is helping you with the special requests? I have an allergy which makes it difficult for me to order at times. If I could tell them ahead of time, especially about the desserts, that would be wonderful! If they could make mashed potatoes using soy milk or whip cream free desserts (chocolate cake with fudge icing is just fine) then I would be in heaven. Thank you!

Allergies are easily accommodated. There is a number you can call or a form on the website to fill out. What the OPis asking is not a medical accommodation. You will be taken care of.

I don' think they can assign you a personal chef to cook for you only but, you will see..... However, imagine if even 50% of t hose on the ship had that list of requests... How could they manage it all? HAL tries to be as accomodating as possible but there have to be some limits. Good luck. Please let us know how it goes.

I prefaced my questions with Fran by actually acknowledging to her my awareness of the above and that I was just asking to confirm my assumption that it wouldn't be possible.... and she surprised me by giving a specific person to contact that would ask the ship if they could...or would. Possibly because we are in the Pinnacle Suite, but she didn't make reference to that when she gave me the way forward. I will keep you posted :)

In life generally... well, my mama taught me how to cook anything and everything from scratch so I can look at a menu and know what needs to be removed for it to work. Some restaurants I just stay away from--like all fast foods. I've had type 1 diabetes for 36 years so I can count carbs by eyesight. Since 2014, other health concerns have required gluten free and ketogenic...and I haven't traveled much. Disney always takes really good care of us, and we also like to go to Sedona where it's very easy to find restaurants that accommodate as well.

I'm just glad to be alive and able to travel still. This trip on the MS Amsterdam in the Pinnacle Suite is a "carrot" for the protocols I've had to live through recently. I am grateful for whatever they support they can provide <3

Edited by Queen of Adventure

I'm just glad to be alive and able to travel still. This trip on the MS Amsterdam in the Pinnacle Suite is a "carrot" for the protocols I've had to live through recently. I am grateful for whatever they support they can provide <3

You may have narrowed in on a value-added Pinnacle Suite perk HAL can offer - really special diet accommodations. The price for the Pinnacle real estate is so much higher than any other spot on the ship, it should come with very personalized responses to each Pinnacle suite guest - I can see that having a lot of appeal other than pay more, get a little more space but join the rank and file for everything else. Those suites are truly a world of their own and they should be treating them as such. Including making your special dishes.

I prefaced my questions with Fran by actually acknowledging to her my awareness of the above and that I was just asking to confirm my assumption that it wouldn't be possible.... and she surprised me by giving a specific person to contact that would ask the ship if they could...or would. Possibly because we are in the Pinnacle Suite, but she didn't make reference to that when she gave me the way forward. I will keep you posted :)

In life generally... well, my mama taught me how to cook anything and everything from scratch so I can look at a menu and know what needs to be removed for it to work. Some restaurants I just stay away from--like all fast foods. I've had type 1 diabetes for 36 years so I can count carbs by eyesight. Since 2014, other health concerns have required gluten free and ketogenic...and I haven't traveled much. Disney always takes really good care of us, and we also like to go to Sedona where it's very easy to find restaurants that accommodate as well.

I've stayed in Pinnacle Suites and I hope you keep your expectaions realistic so you will not be disappointed NA is a very largfe ship an d carries many guests It cannot treatr us as though it was a private yacht :) Pinnacle is very nice, good service etc but this is a main stream, mass market cruise line

You may have narrowed in on a value-added Pinnacle Suite perk HAL can offer - really special diet accommodations. The price for the Pinnacle real estate is so much higher than any other spot on the ship, it should come with very personalized responses to each Pinnacle suite guest - I can see that having a lot of appeal other than pay more, get a little more space but join the rank and file for everything else. Those suites are truly a world of their own and they should be treating them as such. Including making your special dishes.

Yes and NO, IMO :)

I've stayed in Pinnacle Suites and I hope you keep your expectaions realistic so you will not be disappointed NA is a very largfe ship an d carries many guests It cannot treatr us as though it was a private yacht :) Pinnacle is very nice, good service etc but this is a main stream, mass market cruise line

I understand your concerns but it comes down to - the answer is always no unless you ask!

She is traveling on the Amsterdam, not the NA so that should make it easier to accommodate if they can.

To the OP: I hope you enjoy your well deserved trip! I certainly know what it is like to be asking questions you never, ever thought you would ever ask. It is important to push boundaries to get well.

I understand your concerns but it comes down to - the answer is always no unless you ask!

I am not concerned, I don't work for HAL, b ut I am realistic

She is traveling on the Amsterdam, not the NA so that should make it easier to accommodate if they can.

I hoped to suggest you keep in mind, the ship is not a private yacht and there are a great many guests who also have 'needs' :

Thanks for the correction

To the OP: I hope you enjoy your well deserved trip! I certainly know what it is like to be asking questions you never, ever thought you would ever ask. It is important to push boundaries to get well.

yes, hope you have a good cruise, OP

On my recent cruise the DRM asked if I would be eating in the MDR for all meals. (I have to restrict sodium, carbs and have certain allergies). When I indicated I planned to do the lido for breakfast and lunch he offered to have someone meet me to review foods. Luckily my allergies are to things that are not typically hidden as ingredients in foods (avocado, melons, raw nuts and such) and I can navigate a carb restriction diet pretty well, so it wasn’t needed. You might ask for the option if you plan to eat in the lido. Or maybe the MDR would better suit your needs.

If Fran's friendly helpfulness is a marker for the kindliness offered we who dig deep into resources for the honor of the PS privilege, I'm already impressed :D

Being able to bring our pasture-raised cream onboard for our coffee and tea is really all it takes to make me clap my hands and giggle like a little girl. One of the side effects of liver failure is that eating is a struggle...and cream makes everything go down a little easier :halo:

If the ship staff offers me the same kind regard that Fran did... well, that's enough. It doesn't really matter whether they are able to accommodate the specificities I requested. Being treated with kindness is another kind of nourishment that well serves... and it's a privilege that benefits HAL, I agree, to have come with the price of the real estate.

If Fran's friendly helpfulness is a marker for the kindliness offered we who dig deep into resources for the honor of the PS privilege, I'm already impressed :D

Being able to bring our pasture-raised cream onboard for our coffee and tea is really all it takes to make me clap my hands and giggle like a little girl. One of the side effects of liver failure is that eating is a struggle...and cream makes everything go down a little easier :halo:

If the ship staff offers me the same kind regard that Fran did... well, that's enough. It doesn't really matter whether they are able to accommodate the specificities I requested. Being treated with kindness is another kind of nourishment that well serves... and it's a privilege that benefits HAL, I agree, to have come with the price of the real estate.

I hope you don't have way too high an expectation of your PS I fret from some you have written, you think it will be like you are on a private yacht it will Not be Is this the first timey ou have sailed in a high level suite? I was in PS on HAL and on NCL both were very good and I had no complaints but I kept my expectations at a reasonable level I Indeed , I do like beautiful accomodations and very good service but am sensible in my requests and reasonable as to what I expect