Med cruise and Barcelona hotel

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:28 PM.
Tampa, Florida area
12,055 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
Originally posted by -Lew-
We stayed at the Montecarlo on our first visit to Barcelona and would have stayed there again. Unfortunately it is now closed.

My friend and I did too, and were disappointed to see that it was closed, as it was a very nice hotel in great location.

I understand that Princess hotels are generally 4 star, so nice places, but the rates are per person, NOT per room. I don't consider that a particularly good deal, even with the inclusion of transfers from the airport to hotel and hotel to pier. In the past, I have used Princess hotels for the convenience or because I am traveling solo and am not familiar with the port city.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Flamomo

Completed cruises: (354 days on Princess ... so far!)
2004 Coral Princess (Panama Canal & W. Caribbean)
2005 Sun Princess (Eastern Caribbean)
2006 Island Princess (Hawai'i)
2007 Sea Princess (Southern Caribbean)
2007 Golden Princess (Mexican Riviera)
2008 Diamond Princess (Hawai'i)
2008 Tahitian Princess (Tahiti & FP)
2009 Star Princess (Alaska Inside Passage)
2010 Golden Princess (Hawai'i)
2011 Emerald Princess (Eastern Caribbean)
2011 Sapphire Princess (Alaska Inside Passage)
2011 Sapphire Princess (28 day r/t LA-HI-Samoa-French Polynesia-LA)
2011 Saphire Princess (Mexican Riviera), done as B2B with the 28 day above
2012 Star Princess (r/t SF-Hawaii)
2012 Ruby Princess (19 day T/A Venice to FLL)
2013 Emerald Princess (Southern Caribbean)
2013 Pacific Princess (12 day Venice to Athens)
2013 Crown Princess (26 day B2B Southampton to the Canaries, and T/A)
2014 Crown Princess Andes & So America (16 days Valpariso to LA)
2014 Carnival Paradise - First ever non-Princess cruise - just a quickie with family!
2014 Caribbean Princess (9 day B2B with friends)
2015 Ruby Princess So America (32 days FLL to Valpariso)
2015 Emerald Princess (T/A Barcelona to FLL)
2016 Caribbean Princess (30 day EB T/A including British Isles itinerary)
2016 Pacific Princess (17 day T/A Rome to FLL)

NEXT UP!:

Plymouth, MA
135 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
We did a transatlantic in April that ended in Barcelona. Our friends booked the Gallery through Princess and we booked the Astoria on our own. Our cost for two nights was less than their cost for one night. Our hotels were only a few blocks from each other and an easy walk to Las Ramblas. After seeing our room our friends changed their reservations (made through Princess) for their October cruise to Hotel Astoria. Very clean and staff was amazing.
Detroit suburbs
1,727 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Just returned last month from the Majestic Barcelona to Rome, and spent two pre cruise nights at the Hotel Santa Marta, near the Gothic Quarter. Very reasonable, about $130/night, with an excellent buffet breakfast. Excellent location, great nearby restaurants, clean modern room, great front desk staff. Took the airport bus for 9 euros, then a short taxi ride. Would definitely recommend and stay there again. Friends stayed at Hotel Del Mar. They liked that as well - a little more expensive.
We'll be staying in the Gothic quarter this Oct pre-Royal TA. Where did the airport bus drop you off? Also, did you take a taxi to the ship? Thnx.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Barb
50+ ocean cruises completed on Princess, Celebrity, HAL
Recent cruises:
Jan. 2017 - Caribbean Princess 14-nt FLL to Caribbean (western and southern)
Apr. 2017 - HAL Zuiderdam 16-nt EB TA, FLL-Copenhagen
Future cruises:

none scheduled yet
5,065 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
We;ve stayed in Barcelona quite a few times and stay at the Hotel Continental on las Ramblas. Admittedly, it is not 4 star but it is clean and convenient. A lot of pre/post cruisers stay there. They have free food, free beverages including wine, free computers. A hop on hop off is a block away. A department store/supermarket a couple of blocks away for last minute items. There is express bus service from the airport to the Plaza near the hotel for around 6 euros per person. It has a couple of stops before it gets to the Plaza but fairly quick. Do keep any eye on your luggage, though like you have to keep your eyes on everything in Barcelona particularly on Las Ramblas, a major tourist area. You need exact change for the bus.. Cab fare is around 15 euros to the port but some hearty people actually walk. If you take a cab, cross the street to catch it so you won't be paying when they have to get the cab going the right direction and some drivers have been known to take a scenic route. Across the street, it is a straight shot to the pier so no need to go up and down side streets. . You can usually find a couple to share the cab during "happy hour" at the hotel if you want.

The rooms are small and you have to like florals (lol). Bathrooms are nice. Take a wash rag like you have to do in most European hotels. We always get the cheapest of around 100 euros which I think are suppose to be "insides" but we've always had a window or small skylight balcony. For more money, they have rooms with balconies overlooking Las Ramblas.

They have a sister hotel up the street a few blocks that is a little nicer and costs a little more. However, we prefer to trade cheap and convenience for "upscale" (lol).

It books out quickly, so don't dilly dally around.
550 Posts
Joined May 2003
WE stayed at the Avenida Palace and loved it. We had our four children and they gave us a family suite. A great buffet breakfast was included. It was very conveniently located. Barcelona is indeed an easy city to get around and races are plentiful. Getting the the cruise terminal is very easy
California
4,805 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
We enjoyed the Jazz twice. Hotel Colon has a charming location in the Gothic section, and we would have been very happy there, too. Jazz is modern. Colon is older and traditional. Our friends stayed st the Ritz and hated it. Jazz is quiet since it is offset from Ramblas. There are two coffee pastry shops next to Jazz, as well as a metro stop right out the door.
Our friends stayed at Avenids Palace and really liked it a lot. It is not in the Ramblas section though, but it is very classy. .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Holiday 1992;
RCCL Monarch of the Seas 1994;
Celebrity Infinity 2001;
Star Princess 2003;
Diamond Princess 2004, 2005;
Sapphire Princess 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011;
Emerald Princess 2008;
RCCL Mariner of the Seas 2010;
Golden Princess 2003, 2007, 2011;
Celebrity Equinox 2013, 2014;
Grand Princess 2014, 2016;
Regal Princess 2015, 2016, 2017;
Mediterranean 12-night cruise 10/07/15:
RCCL Vision of the Seas;
(Barcelona, Cannes, Florence , Rome,
Salerno, Athens, Santorini, Kusadasi, Turkey, and back to Barthelona)
Next Up:
Celebrity Equinox 10/06/17 10-day ABC Islands, all-inclusive steal of a deal 🍸

Celebrity Silhouette 4/08/18 Eastern Caribbean, all-inclusive steal of a deal
Royal Princess 2019, West Coast, Mexico 🇲🇽
LI, NY/PVB, FL
4,048 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by 4cats4me
We enjoyed the Jazz twice. Hotel Colon has a charming location in the Gothic section, and we would have been very happy there, too. Jazz is modern. Colon is older and traditional. Our friends stayed st the Ritz and hated it. Jazz is quiet since it is offset from Ramblas. There are two coffee pastry shops next to Jazz, as well as a metro stop right out the door.
Our friends stayed at Avenids Palace and really liked it a lot. It is not in the Ramblas section though, but it is very classy. .

Additionally Jazz has a breakfast buffet, roof-top bar & snacks along with pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile

RCCL Nordic Empress - Bermuda - May 1999
Grand Princess - Eastern Caribbean - May 2002
Grand Princess - Western Caribbean - April 2004
Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean - November 2004
Crown Princess - 9 day RT from NY - Eastern Caribbean - May 2007
Caribbean Princess - Repo Cruise - October 2008
Carnival Fascination - Key West & Nassau - May 2009
Caribbean Princess - 8 day Repo Cruise - October 2009
NCL Jewel - Florida & Bahamas - May 2010
NCL Jewel - 9 day RT from NY - Eastern Caribbean - May 2011
Caribbean Princess - 10 day Repo Cruise - October 2011
Pride of America - 13 day Hawaiian Adventure - Land & Cruise - June 2012
NCL Dawn - Western Caribbean - December 2012
NCL Dawn - Bermuda - September 2013
Breakaway - Florida & Bahamas - December 2013
Coral Princess - Panama Canal - March 2014
NCL Gem - 9 day RT from NY - Eastern Caribbean - October 2014
Island Princess - 12 day Grand Mediterranean Adventure - September 2015
NCL Spirit - Nassau, St.Thomas, Tortola (Soggy Dollar)- January 2016
Breakaway - Bermuda - June 2016
Caribbean Princess (yet again!) - ABC Islands - December 2016
Sacramento Area, CA
1,007 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Originally posted by Tyskie
Additionally Jazz has a breakfast buffet, roof-top bar & snacks along with pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
The buffet is a separate charge - right ? We enjoyed the Pastry shop next door so did not investigate the Buffet.
San Mateo, California
5,542 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by 34TigerLily
We will be staying at The Arts Hotel next week. It is a bit more expensive than what we usually book pre-cruise but it is for our 50th anniversary. How is The Arts?
Excellent choice for a celebration... ask for a room on the Mediterranean, (great view)... be sure to mention your anniversary
704 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
We really enjoyed the Hotel Colon 4 yrs ago, & will be staying there again for our Mediterranean cruise July 22nd. Great location as well.
California
4,805 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by Tedferg
The buffet is a separate charge - right ? We enjoyed the Pastry shop next door so did not investigate the Buffet.

Buffet was very lackluster and it was approx $15 pp.
we didn't eat there, but a few in our group did, and they didn't go back, preferring the wonderful little bistros in the surrounding area instead, for half the price.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Holiday 1992;
RCCL Monarch of the Seas 1994;
Celebrity Infinity 2001;
Star Princess 2003;
Diamond Princess 2004, 2005;
Sapphire Princess 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011;
Emerald Princess 2008;
RCCL Mariner of the Seas 2010;
Golden Princess 2003, 2007, 2011;
Celebrity Equinox 2013, 2014;
Grand Princess 2014, 2016;
Regal Princess 2015, 2016, 2017;
Mediterranean 12-night cruise 10/07/15:
RCCL Vision of the Seas;
(Barcelona, Cannes, Florence , Rome,
Salerno, Athens, Santorini, Kusadasi, Turkey, and back to Barthelona)
Next Up:
Celebrity Equinox 10/06/17 10-day ABC Islands, all-inclusive steal of a deal 🍸

Celebrity Silhouette 4/08/18 Eastern Caribbean, all-inclusive steal of a deal
Royal Princess 2019, West Coast, Mexico 🇲🇽
LI, NY/PVB, FL
4,048 Posts
Joined Feb 2007
Originally posted by Tedferg

At the time it was a special offer that was included with our reservation. DH enjoyed- I'm not a breakfast eater so I only "picked"

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile

RCCL Nordic Empress - Bermuda - May 1999
Grand Princess - Eastern Caribbean - May 2002
Grand Princess - Western Caribbean - April 2004
Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean - November 2004
Crown Princess - 9 day RT from NY - Eastern Caribbean - May 2007
Caribbean Princess - Repo Cruise - October 2008
Carnival Fascination - Key West & Nassau - May 2009
Caribbean Princess - 8 day Repo Cruise - October 2009
NCL Jewel - Florida & Bahamas - May 2010
NCL Jewel - 9 day RT from NY - Eastern Caribbean - May 2011
Caribbean Princess - 10 day Repo Cruise - October 2011
Pride of America - 13 day Hawaiian Adventure - Land & Cruise - June 2012
NCL Dawn - Western Caribbean - December 2012
NCL Dawn - Bermuda - September 2013
Breakaway - Florida & Bahamas - December 2013
Coral Princess - Panama Canal - March 2014
NCL Gem - 9 day RT from NY - Eastern Caribbean - October 2014
Island Princess - 12 day Grand Mediterranean Adventure - September 2015
NCL Spirit - Nassau, St.Thomas, Tortola (Soggy Dollar)- January 2016
Breakaway - Bermuda - June 2016
Caribbean Princess (yet again!) - ABC Islands - December 2016
Rocky Mountain High
1,558 Posts
Joined Sep 2007
Originally posted by BarbinMich
We'll be staying in the Gothic quarter this Oct pre-Royal TA. Where did the airport bus drop you off? Also, did you take a taxi to the ship? Thnx.
We were in Barcelona pre-cruise over Memorial Day weekend last year and this was the Aerobus info:

Aerobus: http://www.aerobusbcn.com/ – A1 outside arrivals – 5.90 Euro p/p – ends at Plaza de Catalunya

We stayed at the Hotel Continental on Los Ramblas just a few doors down from Plaza de Catalunya. To get to our ship we rolled our luggage down Las Ramblas, crossed the road to the right of the Columbus statue, and continued about a half-block to the waterfront street, where we picked up the terminal bus.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Celebrity Infinity - Argentina, Uruguay, Chile - 2017/2018
Star Princess - Alaska, Canada - 2017
Celebrity Equinox - Spain, France, Italy, Turkey, Greece - 2016
Celebrity Solstice - Australia & New Zealand - 2014/2015
Norwegian Pearl - Bahamas, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel - 2012
Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas - Puerto Rico, St Thomas, St Kitts, Aruba, Curacao, Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua, St Maarten, St Croix - 2011
Norwegian Epic - Costa Maya, Roatan, Cozumel - 2010
Carnival Elation - Catalina & Ensenada - 2009
Norwegian Dawn - Bermuda - 2009
Norwegian Dawn - Samana, St Thomas, Tortolla, Bahamas - 2009
Norwegian Pride of Aloha - Hawaii - 2007

Land Travels: 49 US States, 8 Canadian Provinces/Territories, 8 other Countries; plus climbed 80 Mountains over 14,000 feet & Mt Kosciuszko (Seven Summits)

Baltimore, Maryland
789 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
Last October we stayed at Hotel Lleo. We got the included breakfast, which was fine. Their coffee was great. You just make a right out the door a few blocks and then a left. Into the Gothic part. Many things to see and plenty of tapas cafes. Loved Barcelona.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.5 HD using Forums mobile app
NY
296 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
About 3 years back, we took NCL cruise from Barcelona. Hotel was a goofy-named "Internacional Cool Local Hotel" on La Rambla. Was pretty damn cheap, but had small-ish rooms. Breakfast spot was nearby that served American-style breakfast (leave it to my "adventurous" girlfriend not to try local food). We took a subway to Drassanes on green line, and hopped on a port bus. It was like 2 euros per person.

Barcelona is surprisingly easy to get around. Cab out of airport to hotel was approximately 45 euros.
Detroit suburbs
1,727 Posts
Joined Apr 2004
Originally posted by 14ersco
We were in Barcelona pre-cruise over Memorial Day weekend last year and this was the Aerobus info:

Aerobus: http://www.aerobusbcn.com/ – A1 outside arrivals – 5.90 Euro p/p – ends at Plaza de Catalunya

We stayed at the Hotel Continental on Los Ramblas just a few doors down from Plaza de Catalunya. To get to our ship we rolled our luggage down Las Ramblas, crossed the road to the right of the Columbus statue, and continued about a half-block to the waterfront street, where we picked up the terminal bus.
Thanks for the info re the aerobus. Unfortunately, doesn't look like a good option for us since we're in the Gothic Quarter and too old to roll our luggage very far. Guess, we'll opt for a taxi or hired car for airport-hotel and hotel-port.

The first time we stopped in Barcelona (2003), we were up to walking into town from the ship to Las Ramblas and Plaza de Catalunya and back (course that did not involve luggage). Not any more. But at least we did it once and thoroughly enjoyed it!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Barb
50+ ocean cruises completed on Princess, Celebrity, HAL
Recent cruises:
Jan. 2017 - Caribbean Princess 14-nt FLL to Caribbean (western and southern)
Apr. 2017 - HAL Zuiderdam 16-nt EB TA, FLL-Copenhagen
Future cruises:

none scheduled yet
WNY
749 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
We stayed at Hilton Barcelona (Avenida Diagonal 589-591) last July. Price was good (Jul. 1, 150 euros all-in), room was nice, best hotel breakfast I think I've had yet (was not free, so look for a B&B rate). Easy walk to metro for getting around town. Taxis waiting outside the next AM to whisk you to pier. Cab ride was something like ~12 euros. Suggestion that if your Spanish is weak bring a written address for pier, and carry a biz card for the hotel in case you need to navigate back.

Also hotel would charge euros back to my room (read: credit card), first 50 no fee, >50 euros had a 5% surcharge, probably best rate I found anywhere for currency and double dip on both Hilton points and my AmEx points.

I'd stay there again in a flash!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity (x4): Silhouette (2/2017, W. Carib.), Equinox (7/2016, Med.), Summit (12/2014 & 1/2016, S. Carib.)
Princess (x4): Coral (5/2017, Alaska), Ruby (12/2012, Carib.), Crown (4/2008, S. Carib.), Star (4/2007, W. Carib.)
Royal Caribbean (x3): Jewel of the Seas (12/2013, S. Carib.), Monarch of the Seas (12/2008, Bahamas & 2/2001, S. Carib.)
Baltimore, Maryland
789 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
The bus also stops at Playa Espanya. Near the Magic Fountain. Perhaps closer for you. Then take a cab. Though saving a few dollars is not always worth it. We took taxis several times in Barcelona and found them reasonable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums