Silver Cloud in Antarctica

SPECIAL NOTICE: There is an issue with the main login on the forums on many browsers. Go to our homepage: HOMEPAGE and use the login located at the main top nav.. Then, choose BOARDS on the nav. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Silversea Cruises

Read Silversea Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you.

Find Your Silversea Roll Call

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:24 AM.
Katonah,NY, USA
2,795 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
I enjoyed our Galapagos cruise this past January. We are looking, late I know for 2018.
There is still availability on the Silver Cloud. It's close to the same price for the Hanseatic, at the same time which includes Georgia for three days, then it repositions for five sea days to Rio... it is marketed as a English speaking trip as well as German.
Any input for anyone?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jacqueline [email protected]
Upcoming Hanseatic Antarctica February 2018
Viking River Cruise on the Rhine, August 2017
HAL Eurodam March 2017 Carribean from Ft. Lauderdale
Silver Sea Silver Galapagos Jan 2017
Queen Mary 2 round trip New York to South Hampton July/August 2016
Caribbean Princess March 2011 So Caribbean
HAL Westerdam October 1 2010 Black Sea
AOS August 2009 So Caribbean
Celebrity Summit Feb 2009 So Caribbean
Crown Princess Spring Break So Caribbean 2006
Golden Princess Spring Break So Caribbean 2005
Hal Westerdam London to Athens July 30 2004
Celebrity Constellation So Caribbean Spring Break 04
Tahitian Princess - Tahiti ! August 2003
Grand Princess Spring Break 2003
Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002
Ocean Princess Alaska 2001
Celebrity Zenith Bermuda 2001
Grand Princess Med 2000
--------------------------------
QE2 1985 - Hurricane Kate- NY round trip to Carribean
Cunard Countess
Greek Islands 1983
Huntsville, AL
607 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Hanseatic is a wonderful ship. I did this itinerary on Silver Explorer and absolutely loved it. Most important point is that South Georgia Island is the highlight of the trip; yes you can yell SEVEN after stepping on Antarctica but South Georgia is the highlight.

Marc

PS Never been on Silver Cloud; looking to book her in 2019.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Marc

Radisson/Regent - 22 cruises, 297 nights; Booked: 63 nights Voyager; 57 nights Mariner; 22 nights Explorer
Silversea Expedition - 3 cruises, 54 nights; Booked: 19 nights Silver Explorer; 22 nights Silver Cloud
Albany, NY
4,432 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Have been on Silver Cloud 3x (obviously prior to its reconfiguration as an expedition ship) and Silver Explorer 3x - Antarctica, Arctic/Svalbard, and Panama Canal. Antarctica is a trip like none other and I would love to go back.

SS does a great job with its expedition voyages and we're booked on a fourth one aboard Silver Explorer in October of this year. Silver Cloud is (was) our favorite non-expedition ship so it will be an amazing expedition ship, in my opinion.

I don't know anything about Hanseatic to offer a comparison, but Antarctica on Silver Cloud should be a wonderful experience. The one knock on Explorer is that it's not as luxurious as the non-expedition ships, but Silver Cloud may raise that a few notches.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JP and Chris

Last: Silver Explorer - Along the Humboldt Current, Guayaquil to Valparaíso - Oct 2017 (review)

Future bookings - come join us!
Silver Wind - #2828, Copenhagen to Tower Bridge - Sept 2018
Silver Cloud Expedition - #1918, Reykjavik to Reykjavik - August 2019

Past:
Ganges Voyager II (Uniworld) - India's Golden Triangle & the Sacred Ganges - Feb 2017 (review)
River Beatrice (Uniworld) - Danube - April 2016
(photo review)
SS Catherine (Uniworld) - Burgundy and Provence - March 2015 (review)
Silver Cloud - Eastern Med - Istanbul to Athens - October 2014 (photo review)
Silver Cloud - North Atlantic - Tower Bridge to Reykjavik - August 2014 - (photo review)
SS Antoinette (Uniworld) - Castles on the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam - April 2014 (photo review)
Silver Explorer - Central America - Colon to Puerto Caldera - October 2013 (photo review)
MS Sun Boat III - Nile River - November 2012 (pics1) (pics2)
Silver Wind - Athens to Rome - June 2012 (report) (Greece pics) (Italy pics)

Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos - November 2011 (Peru pics) (Galapagos pics)
Silver Explorer - Longyearbyen to Tromso - August 2011 (report) (Svalbard pics) (Tromso pics)
Silver Wind - Cape Town to Cape Town - Feb 2011 (pics)
Silver Cloud - London to Nice - September 2010 (France pics) (Spain and Portugal pics)
Silver Wind - Black Sea - June 2010 (pics)
Silversea PAII - Antarctica - Dec 09 (pics)
Columbus, Ohio
18,650 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by jpalbny
Have been on Silver Cloud 3x (obviously prior to its reconfiguration as an expedition ship) Antarctica on Silver Cloud should be a wonderful experience. The one knock on Explorer is that it's not as luxurious as the non-expedition ships, but Silver Cloud may raise that a few notches.
Wanted to "second" strongly certain of the comments from the very experienced J.P. as summarized above. We have done four cruises for a total of 51 days on the Silver Cloud. We also had a chance to tour and talk with the staff of the Silversea Explorer ship while it was in port up in Tromso, Norway, in 2010.

As J.P. wisely noted, the "luxury upgrade" with the Silver Cloud will be a major improvement in room sizes, dining options, ship offerings, etc., etc. While none of us has been, yet, on the re-fitted Silver Cloud expedition ship, I can envision it as a top, fun experience for these purposes in such great, unique locations. It looks as if the Silver Cloud in doing Antarctica will not be cheap, but it will be a very nice way to explore these special parts of the world.

Like J.P., I have never sailed with Hanseatic. BUT, if a cruise is billed as having BOTH German and English as the main languages offered and used, that might raise a legitimate question. Our sense for such exploring adventures is that things are mostly about smaller groups and involving lots of "conversations" back-and-forth between the passengers and staff. If such communications, back-and-forth, requires everything to be done in two different languages, that might slow the sharing and "educational process". Your choice!! Fortunately, you have a number of good potentials to consider.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 218,522 views.
www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923
Albany, NY
4,432 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by TLCOhio

Like J.P., I have never sailed with Hanseatic. BUT, if a cruise is billed as having BOTH German and English as the main languages offered and used, that might raise a legitimate question. Our sense for such exploring adventures is that things are mostly about smaller groups and involving lots of "conversations" back-and-forth between the passengers and staff. If such communications, back-and-forth, requires everything to be done in two different languages, that might slow the sharing and "educational process". Your choice!! Fortunately, you have a number of good potentials to consider.

Terry, from our experience on SS, dual-language cruising has been a non-issue. On the Antarctica cruise, and I think the Svalbard cruise too, there was a large German-speaking contingent.

They made up the entirety of one landing group. The naturalists who were fluent in German (Hans-Peter and Michaela) worked with that group and the other guides took our English-speaking groups. The German speakers had their own lectures.

The morning announcements were made in both languages. I always looked forward to hearing Hans-Peter saying, "Guten Morgen, Damen und Herren...' every day.

Not sure if it's different on other lines, but having a non-English speaking group on board was not an issue on SS.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JP and Chris

Last: Silver Explorer - Along the Humboldt Current, Guayaquil to Valparaíso - Oct 2017 (review)

Past:
Ganges Voyager II (Uniworld) - India's Golden Triangle & the Sacred Ganges - Feb 2017 (review)
(photo review)
Silver Cloud - North Atlantic - Tower Bridge to Reykjavik - August 2014 - (photo review)
SS Antoinette (Uniworld) - Castles on the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam - April 2014 (photo review)
Silver Explorer - Central America - Colon to Puerto Caldera - October 2013 (photo review)

Silver Explorer - Longyearbyen to Tromso - August 2011 (report) (Svalbard pics) (Tromso pics)
Silver Cloud - London to Nice - September 2010 (France pics) (Spain and Portugal pics)
Columbus, Ohio
18,650 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Terry, from our experience on SS, dual-language cruising has been a non-issue. On the Antarctica cruise, and I think the Svalbard cruise too, there was a large German-speaking contingent. They made up the entirety of one landing group. The naturalists who were fluent in German (Hans-Peter and Michaela) worked with that group and the other guides took our English-speaking groups. The German speakers had their own lectures. The morning announcements were made in both languages. Not sure if it's different on other lines, but having a non-English speaking group on board was not an issue on SS.
Appreciate this great follow-up and these specific details from J.P. Sounds like they have managed these language challenges well. Over time and maybe for the future, we have looked at some other lines for options such the French ships of Ponant. Their website notes: "crew are bilingual; they all speak French and English. Signs are all in French and English." Has anybody used Ponant or know those who have traveled with them?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139
for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of
UK
721 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
We ran into the Hanseatic on Christmas Day at Tristan da Cunha. We were on the smaller ship, Island Sky. Passengers from both ships attended a carol concert in the island school and I'd say from memory that all virtually all passengers on the Hanseatic were German. We had 3 days at Tristan. Hanseatic had just the one and headed down to South Georgia. It got there in two days. We never made it. Expedition crew on our ship said they thought the Hanseatic was the best ship on which to visit Antarctica.
Tulsa OK
7,653 Posts
Joined May 2006
We have cruised on silverseas explorer 3 times (getting ready to leave for our 4th on Saturday). While it is not as luxurious as the regular Silversea ships, we really love it, obviously. We are very much looking forward to sailing on the Cloud in 2019 both to Antarctica and to the British Isles. I think it will bump up the luxury component a lot as far as the cabins go.

Don't know anything about Hanseatic other than it markets primarily to German speakers. That wouldn't bother me, but the potential for more smokers definitely could. I do not know Hanseatic's smoking policy.
Port Saint Lucie - FL
2,352 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Those not as luxurious as Cloud. Explorer has one big advantage as expedition ship -- smaller number of passengers (140 or so max versus over 200). Considering the limits in Antarctica -- mean likely longer periods out or less rush..
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Albany, NY
4,432 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by PaulMCO
Those not as luxurious as Cloud. Explorer has one big advantage as expedition ship -- smaller number of passengers (140 or so max versus over 200). Considering the limits in Antarctica -- mean likely longer periods out or less rush..
I agree, smaller is better. I have read on their website that they are limiting capacity to 200 guests for the Antarctic voyages. http://www.silversea.com/ships/silver-cloud-expedition/

This will allow half the guests to be on shore at any given time, similar to the current arrangement for Explorer. If they were sailing at full capacity with 296 guests, they'd have to go in three landing waves, which I agree would lead to longer waits and/or less time ashore.

I've sailed on Silver Wind when it was at 2/3 capacity and it was a fantastic experience. With that few guests it's like your own personal ship. This is going to be an awesome Expedition ship and I'm a little bummed that a repeat visit to Antarctica isn't in the works soon.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JP and Chris

Past:
(photo review)

Atlanta
5,920 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
JP, the Wind Polar pax capacity (limit to 200) is the catalyst (and good price point, plus many So. Georgia landing days) that led us to booking the Cloud Expedition late Feb (Ushuaia to Capetown).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]
Atlanta
5,920 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Thanks very much for providing us this link vbarberini. Very enlightening information as Conrad, relates the back story of Silversea expeditions. He expresses so well his passion for expedition cruising--it's contagious. The author describes in detail the refurb enhancements planned for the Cloud. We look forward to visiting the Serengeti of Antarctica (South Georgia Island), Antarctica, the Falklands, even three islands of St. Helena in Feb-Mar on the Cloud Expedition. What also served as a catalyst to book more than 30 days on the Cloud Expedition, is the refurb redoes the old fitness space to a nice Observation Lounge--good for viewing Antarctica's stunning beauty, and variety of wildlife--when not on the top deck. Imagine we will also enjoy the first full sized heated pool on expeditions ships (as reported in this article) more in St. Helena islands than in Antarctica--can't wait to swim in the full sized Cloud Expedition pool when we visit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]
Colorado
1,550 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by WesW
can't wait to swim in the full sized Cloud Expedition pool when we visit.
I can hardly wait to hear what the water temp is when you jump in.
Albany, NY
4,432 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
It will be warmer than the 29°F that I swam in, at Deception Island!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
JP and Chris

Past:
(photo review)

Colorado
1,550 Posts
Joined May 2011
It will be warmer than the 29°F that I swam in, at Deception Island!
Yup! My guess for when Wes enters the Cloud pool will be a brisk 54°F.
UK
721 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by WesW
We look forward to visiting the Serengeti of Antarctica (South Georgia Island), Antarctica, the Falklands, even three islands of St. Helena in Feb-Mar on the Cloud Expedition.
The Cloud trip from Ushuaia to Cape Town calls at Tristan da Cunha not St Helena itself. St Helena is a port of call on the next Cloud trip from Cape Town to Ghana.

I've been to Tristan and it's one of the hardest places to land passengers. The seas can be terrible and the little harbour is very vulnerable to waves and currents. I know many ships have failed to land passengers there, including the Silver Explorer last year. A bigger ship like the Cloud may well encounter problems but, who knows, you could be lucky. I've done four landings on Tristan as well as Nightingale Island. Gough Island is usually impossible but I think Silversea requests special permission to land.

Tristan has a fascinating history - the volcano blew up in the 1960s and all the islanders were evacuated to Britain. After a few years living near Southampton they all voted to return to their bleak, wind-blown slag heap. It's an incredible place. Penguins too!
Atlanta
5,920 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
Thanks for the rich Tristan background Fletcher--dearly hope the sea gods smile on the Cloud when we attempt to visit next March.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]
Katonah,NY, USA
2,795 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Just for the record on the Hanseatic, there are German only departures, and departures that are offered for English speaking passengers,
I have no idea on how that break should down on a sailing to sailing basis, or what percentage of English speakers to expect.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jacqueline [email protected]
Upcoming Hanseatic Antarctica February 2018
Viking River Cruise on the Rhine, August 2017
HAL Eurodam March 2017 Carribean from Ft. Lauderdale
Silver Sea Silver Galapagos Jan 2017
Queen Mary 2 round trip New York to South Hampton July/August 2016
Caribbean Princess March 2011 So Caribbean
HAL Westerdam October 1 2010 Black Sea
AOS August 2009 So Caribbean
Celebrity Summit Feb 2009 So Caribbean