Wine package

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:19 AM.
Uk
28 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Looking forward to my 3rd cruise at Christmas. We are thinking of buying a wine package, however I we don’t finish all of the bottles before the end of the cruise, will they Box the rest up to take home.. thanks
Inverness, Scotland
844 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
I would check with your wine steward early on in the cruise but I see no reason why you couldn't just hand over however many vouchers you have left on the last night telling him you want the bottles unopened.

I have bought the wine package in the past and it was a good deal, but decided against it this year. I checked the individual bottle prices against the package price and even when you added the 15% service charge to the individual bottles the package worked out only marginally better. Where you would make a saving would be if you were cruising in Spanish waters when they would then add Spanish VAT to the individual bottle price but not if you were on the package. Even then it's easy enough to order the night before.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise.

Regards, Colin.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lancashire
310 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by Colin_Cameron
I would check with your wine steward early on in the cruise but I see no reason why you couldn't just hand over however many vouchers you have left on the last night telling him you want the bottles unopened.

I have bought the wine package in the past and it was a good deal, but decided against it this year. I checked the individual bottle prices against the package price and even when you added the 15% service charge to the individual bottles the package worked out only marginally better. Where you would make a saving would be if you were cruising in Spanish waters when they would then add Spanish VAT to the individual bottle price but not if you were on the package. Even then it's easy enough to order the night before.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise.

Regards, Colin.

Colin, do you know how they determine Spanish waters......we’ve just come back from a cruise to the Canaries on QE and we were only charged the additional tax whilst at La Coruna...........now my Geography isn’t the best but why wouldn’t the Canaries count as Spanish waters?

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

=http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk][/url]g
Vale of Glamorgan
3,560 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
The Canaries are duty free, no VAT charged on the islands.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email - [email protected]

Please include your Cruise Critic user name and be patient, I do not have full time access to this mailbox and I am in a different time zone to many of you !
UK
275 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by Sailaway25
Looking forward to my 3rd cruise at Christmas. We are thinking of buying a wine package, however I we don’t finish all of the bottles before the end of the cruise, will they Box the rest up to take home.. thanks
I did this on a QM2 Southampton - Quebec round trip last year. I picked up a nasty virus somewhere in N America and was ill for a few days on the return TA so didn't get through all the package. Just one left, but I chose what I wanted on the last night and the bottle was in my cabin very quickly. I suppose it might have been a special case because they knew I had been ill, but I imagine it would happen anyway - they're all paid for after all.
berkshire
1,160 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
I'm not certain that they'll box them up for you but you can certainly take home any unused bottles from your wine package .
Your Sommelier will be aware the evening before disembarkation that you have additional bottles left over, just hand in the remaining vouchers.
1,158 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
There is no problem whatsoever in having the leftovers delivered to your room, or indeed, anything delivered to your room any day you want.

We did it again 2 weeks ago on QE (Canaries & Madeira). We had 1 x 12 Commodare & 1 x 12 Captain but had 3 vouchers left, so used them up. The port is very good.

The package saves you between 5% - 10% and there's no service charge. You also get a favourable exchange rate if booked before you travel (UK pax).
UK
275 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by BigMac1953
You also get a favourable exchange rate if booked before you travel (UK pax).
There used to be a very good exchange rate some time ago when the pound dropped and before Cunard caught up. Is it still a good deal?
1,158 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by Teddy123
There used to be a very good exchange rate some time ago when the pound dropped and before Cunard caught up. Is it still a good deal?
In a word, YES, but not as good as it was about 5 yrs ago.
1,158 Posts
Joined Oct 2009
Originally posted by frankp01
Can a wine package be spread over two voyages (I.e. a back to back)? It sounds like they're paper vouchers. Do they have the voyage number on them?

Sent from my HTC 10 using Forums mobile app
NO, That's why we have taken leftovers home on two separate occasions.

They have your Voyage No and room No on them.
Overlooking the Straights of Dover
149 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Originally posted by BigMac1953
In a word, YES, but not as good as it was about 5 yrs ago.
Don't be coy, how long ago was this and how did the rate compare against the then current tourist rate and/or the market rate? The silly rate from last year is long gone but if Cunard are still giving a discount through their exchange rate for advance purchases in Sterling of things like wine packages it's worth knowing and sharing.