Prince William Sound Tours - Whittier

Italy52

I know weather conditions are constantly changing in Alaska and you really can't compare the conditions from year to year. With that being said, I'm just curious --- for those that went on a Prince William Sound Cruise out of Whittier THIS YEAR, did you encounter any rain? And, if so, were you still able to enjoy your trip and see the glaciers?

You can't compare weather year to year. Nor can you compare it month to month, or week to week. Even day to day is challenging sometimes.

You might note Alaska has had a pretty warm dry summer thus far. However, usually about August 1, the weather starts to change. So you can't compare if someone had good weather in early July, with what you might see in mid August, for example.

Not sure why you didn't post this on the Alaska board, as it has nothing to do with princess. There you would get everyone's input who has sailed Alaska this year.

You can't compare weather year to year. Nor can you compare it month to month, or week to week. Even day to day is challenging sometimes.

You might note Alaska has had a pretty warm dry summer thus far. However, usually about August 1, the weather starts to change. So you can't compare if someone had good weather in early July, with what you might see in mid August, for example.

Not sure why you didn't post this on the Alaska board, as it has nothing to do with princess. There you would get everyone's input who has sailed Alaska this year.

With all due respect --- I am aware of the changing weather in Alaska --- I posted that information in my original post.

I am going to post the question on the Alaska board --- just didn't do it yet.

As for why post to Princess --- Princess embarks/disembarks in Whittier and some people might take the excursion either before or after the cruise.

I'm not sure how it will help you but this year I had a sunny two weeks in the end of May and a nice day cruise with 26 Glaciers. Two years ago roughly the same time period I sailed with Major Marine on a miserable rainy day. Still got to the glaciers but trip was really a waste of money with the rain keeping me inside for most of the day.

I'm not sure how it will help you but this year I had a sunny two weeks in the end of May and a nice day cruise with 26 Glaciers. Two years ago roughly the same time period I sailed with Major Marine on a miserable rainy day. Still got to the glaciers but trip was really a waste of money with the rain keeping me inside for most of the day.

Thanks Doug for providing me with relevant information on the tour. Based on your rain experience, would you recommend booking the day of the tour to ensure a good viewing experience? We have taken the Kenai Fjords tour out of Seward numerous times (all good weather.) Unfortunately for us, during this past June trip the weather was horrible and it was really hard to be outside with the rain pouring down on us --- we considered it a waste of money and are rethinking pre-booking any turnaround day tours (PWS/KF).

How did you like 26 glaciers compared to Major Marine?

Tours were roughly the same on both. I was surprised at how little the 26 Glacier cruise went into College Fjord, I was expecting them to go much farther down. I liked the 26 Glacier boat better, it was bigger and had lots of outside deck space.

I booked this year thru Princess as I had a lot of onboard credit. If I had booked independent it was quite a bit cheaper and I had debated on this. The same as you are thinking I was worried about how the weather would be and figured a last minute booking would solve the weather issue. If I had tried this I don't think I would have been able to do the tour, the boat was full the day I sailed. There were only about a dozen of us on a B2B but people just seemed to keep arriving before we sailed. With a walk up you may not get aboard. I was surprised at how full the boat was as I was sailing on the small Pacific Princess which only holds 650 or so. The majority of people aboard had to come from Anchorage for the day.

I've done the Major Marine twice, once a number of years ago that was a nice sunny day then the one two years ago in the rain. The rainy one was a miserable day on a full boat with the views very limited because of the windows fogging up from the crowds inside. I had already paid my money so went as I didn't just want to throw the money away.

There really is nothing else to do in Whittier, but if you do have some time the small local museum is worth a visit. It on the other side of the underground tunnel under the rail yard down by the ferry terminal.

Hello Karen,

Obviously better weather can make for a better tour. Having said that, we were on a b2b turnaround at Whittier, and we waited until that morning to decide whether to go. You may already know this, but the glacier tour boats are right along side where the ship docks. We simply walked over and bought our tickets (as the weather was okay), and an advantage of taking the morning 1/2 day tour is that the boat was only about 1/3 full (not sure if morning tours are offered any more).

This year on June 2nd we did the Kenai Fjords tour out of Seward, and it was overcast with occasional light rain. But as predicted by the captain, after several weeks of sunny weather, the animals were out in abundance since it was cooler outside.

OTOH, we found visiting glaciers a better experience out of Whittier (though it was quite good out of Seward). I don't remember whom we went with out of Whittier, but we were right up next to several glaciers (close enough to feel the temperature drop).

FWIW. Your experience could vary.

Bruce

Tours were roughly the same on both. I was surprised at how little the 26 Glacier cruise went into College Fjord, I was expecting them to go much farther down. I liked the 26 Glacier boat better, it was bigger and had lots of outside deck space.

I booked this year thru Princess as I had a lot of onboard credit. If I had booked independent it was quite a bit cheaper and I had debated on this. The same as you are thinking I was worried about how the weather would be and figured a last minute booking would solve the weather issue. If I had tried this I don't think I would have been able to do the tour, the boat was full the day I sailed. There were only about a dozen of us on a B2B but people just seemed to keep arriving before we sailed. With a walk up you may not get aboard. I was surprised at how full the boat was as I was sailing on the small Pacific Princess which only holds 650 or so. The majority of people aboard had to come from Anchorage for the day.

I've done the Major Marine twice, once a number of years ago that was a nice sunny day then the one two years ago in the rain. The rainy one was a miserable day on a full boat with the views very limited because of the windows fogging up from the crowds inside. I had already paid my money so went as I didn't just want to throw the money away.

There really is nothing else to do in Whittier, but if you do have some time the small local museum is worth a visit. It on the other side of the underground tunnel under the rail yard down by the ferry terminal.

Doug, thanks for providing your Major Marine vs 26 Glaciers experience, I appreciate it.

Hello Karen,

Obviously better weather can make for a better tour. Having said that, we were on a b2b turnaround at Whittier, and we waited until that morning to decide whether to go. You may already know this, but the glacier tour boats are right along side where the ship docks. We simply walked over and bought our tickets (as the weather was okay), and an advantage of taking the morning 1/2 day tour is that the boat was only about 1/3 full (not sure if morning tours are offered any more).

Good to know that same day ticketing is possible.

This year on June 2nd we did the Kenai Fjords tour out of Seward, and it was overcast with occasional light rain. But as predicted by the captain, after several weeks of sunny weather, the animals were out in abundance since it was cooler outside.

We also did the Kenai Fjord tour out of Seward --- our trip was on June 26th. We were not as lucky as you as our rain was a little heavier and made for a rocky ride --- several people were seasick. Although the wildlife was out, it was sometimes hard to see and take pictures due to the rain. We have been on this exact trip many times before and never encountered rain --- unfortunately for us, our luck ran out this trip.

OTOH, we found visiting glaciers a better experience out of Whittier (though it was quite good out of Seward). I don't remember whom we went with out of Whittier, but we were right up next to several glaciers (close enough to feel the temperature drop).

FWIW. Your experience could vary.

Bruce

Thanks for your reply.

Edited by Italy52

We are also torn between Major Marine and 26 glaciers. @Doug does Major Marine go more into College Fforde?

When I did it they had a different route and didn't go into College Fjord at all. The 26 Glacier boat is bigger and faster so they can travel a farther distance in the same time. They just stop at the entrance to College Fjord so they can say you saw so many Glaciers.

I did think the Fish and Chips on the 26 Glacier tour were much better than I was expecting.

We are also torn between Major Marine and 26 glaciers. @Doug does Major Marine go more into College Fforde?

Take a look at the route maps. College Fjords, frankly isn't any better than the other areas of PWS. I happen to be impressed with Columbia- which I've gone into from Valdez, but I ALWAYS enjoy every single trip I take out of Whittier (which has been all available routes with these two vendors and every year).

I do give an edge for my preferences- MM's Surprise Glacier, going through Esther Passage, and crossing the glacier moraine where I've seen hundreds of sea otters. It is in no way a "sloppy second choice" to College Fjords, which frankly has more extensive viewing from a cruise ship, which does get up to within view of the end.