Norwegian Jewel 2017

Here's our story: http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=7065

Interesting background from my chat with Steve Odell - NCL almost ditched plans to come here because they couldn't get any space at the OPT. Luckily Royal Caribbean released some bookings and NCL snapped them up and switched the ship from Star to Jewel (not yet reflected in the Syd port schedule).

They are visiting Geelong (but not Melbourne) and other ports you wouldn't necessarily expect.

http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=7065

Louise Goldsbury

Australia Editor

Cruise Critic

Interesting background from my chat with Steve Odell - NCL almost ditched plans to come here because they couldn't get any space at the OPT. Luckily Royal Caribbean released some bookings and NCL snapped them up and switched the ship from Star to Jewel (not yet reflected in the Syd port schedule).

They are visiting Geelong (but not Melbourne) and other ports you wouldn't necessarily expect.

Louise Goldsbury

Australia Editor

Cruise Critic

G'day Louise

Any indication when pricing will be released, their website doesn't even show any cruises for Australia.

They have a special section on Australia..

http://www.norwegian***************.au/norwegian-jewel-to-australia/

click on the big pic of the ship for the brochure...no prices yet.

doesnt look like the link wants to work ... you can get there through NCL Australia.

Edited by Kiwi Kruzer

They have a special section on Australia..

click on the big pic of the ship for the brochure...no prices yet.

doesnt look like the link wants to work ... you can get there through NCL Australia.

Been to NCL Australia, not showing anything for Aus after Feb 2017.

As i have said before,Sydney is getting way to busy,so hence all brands are looking at new itinerarys,new ports Melb,Adelaide etc,etc.

But please dont comment or answer,i like being ignored.;):):eek:

Happy to oblige :D:p

But yep not only is Sydney too busy, but how they built the new terminal at White Elephant, pops Bay, where so many ships can't get access is totally beyond me.

Dont forget that these cruises will be heavily promoted in the States. NCL have a very big and loyal following there.The cruisies from Vancouver through Hawaii and Tahiti look great as do the end of season cruises up to Singapore and Asia:)

G'day Louise

Any indication when pricing will be released, their website doesn't even show any cruises for Australia.

They haven't released prices yet but did say they will be more expensive than other cruise lines, such as Royal Caribbean - and they are happy to be because,

Harry Sommer, the company's executive vice president of international business development, said NCL has "far superior" food, entertainment and accommodation than its competitors.

Roughly, an extra $30-$40 per person per day, he said, but we'll see when the full brochure comes out.

I am cruising the Panama Canal on NCL Jewel next February and looking forward to trying out a different cruise line.

I'm not very good at writing reviews but will give it a go on my return.

Regards Elaine.

The suite perks on NCL are the best in the business!

I'll be interested to see what happens with prices on their cruises here. One thing NCL used to let you do fairly close to sail date was phone them and make an offer to secure a better cabin and you'd negotiate on price. It was like an upsell, but you could initiate it yourself. Not sure if they still allow that...

I negotiated an upgrade for $900 to a Courtyard Villa which was located on a private deck only accessible with keycard access in the lift and shared by only 15 cabins - with private pool, spas, saunas and gym, with a retractable glass roof and alfresco dining area. The suite was amazing - slept 6 people in 2 bedroom/2 bathroom! I was only travelling with my son, who was about 10 at the time and when I upgraded I could add guests for only $99pp so my mum jumped at it and just had to get herself to/from Barcelona.

I thought that was a once in a lifetime for me but maybe the opportunity will rise again now that NCL are heading to Oz... :D

Will have a look at NCL. But as everything. If its just the same to cruise on their ships for the same pricing that say Princess offers in Australia dollars then I'm not going to look at them.

The cruises I look at for this region seems pricey.

Will have a look at NCL. But as everything. If its just the same to cruise on their ships for the same pricing that say Princess offers in Australia dollars then I'm not going to look at them.

The cruises I look at for this region seems pricey.

In my head, NCL used to sit somewhere in standard between Carnival and Princess (closer to the bottom end of that scale). The MDR food was ok, but there were 7 or 8 specialty restaurants to choose from and at prices like $10 - $15 per head it was acceptable to eat at them every night instead. NCL used to have cheap base prices, and you would simply build in the prices to eat at the paid restaurants and you'd end up with a good value, good quality cruise.

But judging by the comments from the NCL boss posted above they now think of themselves as a Princess/Celebrity++ style of cruise. Not sure if maybe they have developed an identity disorder... here's hoping they provide value for money to the Aussie market because we're not as cruise dumb down under as we used to be.:D

Louise Goldsbury

Australia Editor

Cruise Critic

Thanks Louise.:D

They haven't released prices yet but did say they will be more expensive than other cruise lines, such as Royal Caribbean - and they are happy to be because,

Harry Sommer, the company's executive vice president of international business development, said NCL has "far superior" food, entertainment and accommodation than its competitors.

Roughly, an extra $30-$40 per person per day, he said, but we'll see when the full brochure comes out.

In my head, NCL used to sit somewhere in standard between Carnival and Princess (closer to the bottom end of that scale). The MDR food was ok, but there were 7 or 8 specialty restaurants to choose from and at prices like $10 - $15 per head it was acceptable to eat at them every night instead. NCL used to have cheap base prices, and you would simply build in the prices to eat at the paid restaurants and you'd end up with a good value, good quality cruise.

But judging by the comments from the NCL boss posted above they now think of themselves as a Princess/Celebrity++ style of cruise. Not sure if maybe they have developed an identity disorder... here's hoping they provide value for money to the Aussie market because we're not as cruise dumb down under as we used to be.:D

We were on the Epic (lovely ship) back in April, the food was good but I wouldn't rate it higher than X or Princess and probably on par with Royal. The NCL ship being new to Australia will attract cruisers keen to try something new and different so they may be able to command the higher pricings. time will tell.

where does it go?

What I've been told is 9 nights will include Eden, KI, Adelaide, Melbourne and Burnie.

What I'm waiting for is confirmation of the itinerary and price, but it is certainly the right time for us.

What I've been told is 9 nights will include Eden, KI, Adelaide, Melbourne and Burnie.

What I'm waiting for is confirmation of the itinerary and price, but it is certainly the right time for us.

Sounds good, price dependent of course.:D

Does it leave from Sydney or Melbourne? What the date. You certainly love your Tasmania cruises. Aren't you going on Emerald Princess to tassie too?

Edited by icat2000

Does it leave from Sydney or Melbourne? What the date. You certainly love your Tasmania cruises. Aren't you going on Emerald Princess to tassie too?

Yep, Emerald to Tas Dec, QM to Tas Feb. (6th and 7th to Tassie).

But NCL looks to only be Burnie, Eden and KI would be the big attractions, combined with trying something new in terms of a ship and the time, 14 Dec, when Mrs Gut will be on holidays, but most schools not.

I was told its Sydney-Sydney, but I guess time will tell.

Sounds good, price dependent of course.:D

I suspect there may also be at least one more Port, that looks a bit light for 9 days, so time will tell.

But as you say it will come down to price.

If there is a "surcharge" of $30 or 40!- day over say Celebrity or Princess, that is more than Cunard for a similar itinerary.:eek: