Norwegian Jewel 2017

If they are going to charge that sort of starting price, they will be ripe for a last minute price drop - and an appearance in the Cheapo cruises thread!

Lets hope so. Talk about greedy cruise line coming down under to milk us. I guess they think we don't have access to the internet down here so can't access what pricing they charge for their other cruises!:eek:

Jewel is a 11 year old ship entered service in 2005. 2,376 passengers. So not too big, not too small. Probably just right for down under.

I've been on a few of the Ncl Jewel class ships.....My experience is their great for suites,but the lesser cabins are very small and not fitted out to well.

The bistro is like a school canteen,not very upmarket at all....I have been lucky to get three last minute upgrades to their three bedroom garden villas which are to die for....it helps to have a Ncl Cruise consultant and not a TA.

Ncl are great for price drops up to final payment too.

The other thing they will struggle with is the pool deck is very small compared to the two Carnival ships here....Nothing similar to carnivals green thunder for the kids....I think it's more a adult cruise line with great choice of specialty restaurants

If they are going to charge that sort of starting price, they will be ripe for a last minute price drop - and an appearance in the Cheapo cruises thread!

And thats exactly what we want,bit of competition is a wonderful thing,sometimes.:)

Harry Sommer, the company's executive vice president of international business development, said NCL has "far superior" food, entertainment and accommodation than its competitors.

Roughly, an extra $30-$40 per person per day, he said, but we'll see when the full brochure comes out.

I crused on NCL through the Panama Canal on the Star in Dec 2013. Great cruise but unless they have improved dramatically their food and entertainment were noticeably bellow that of RCL.

They are also on most occasions cheaper (in regular categories as I know little about the Haven which gets great reviews) than RCL in the USA, TA and Europe and for a while now they also usually offered free drinks plus other perks so I think he is either telling a few porkies or they are upgrading food and entertainment for just our cruises (which I doubt).

I was looking forward to sailing on NCL because I thought there would be some bargains but at overs there is no way I will book. Me thinks they are trying to cash in on people wanting to try something new.

Edited by woodyren

Me-thinks they will learn quick smart,that aus/nz cruisers,are pretty savvy.

I reckon last-min deals are going to be the way to go in the next 3 years,as they align themselves to our way of thinking.

The new PandNo ship IMHO will be the benchmark in terms of attitude towards fare structure and on-board amenities.

These big ships will be like a shooting star and Princess will have it just about right.

Positioning Golden down-under,and keeping the smaller ships on-tap for as long as possible.

We were on Norwegian Jewel for an Inside Passage voyage and love the ship; just the right size for us. The selection of restaurants and any-time dining was ideal and staff service couldn't be faulted. We'll certainly be cruising with her agaon providing NCL doesn't overprice the Australian cruises.

Yep, Emerald to Tas Dec, QM to Tas Feb. (6th and 7th to Tassie).

But NCL looks to only be Burnie, Eden and KI would be the big attractions, combined with trying something new in terms of a ship and the time, 14 Dec, when Mrs Gut will be on holidays, but most schools not.

I was told its Sydney-Sydney, but I guess time will tell.

Tassie is great but Eden and KI are winners as well.:D

I suspect there may also be at least one more Port, that looks a bit light for 9 days, so time will tell.

But as you say it will come down to price.

If there is a "surcharge" of $30 or 40!- day over say Celebrity or Princess, that is more than Cunard for a similar itinerary.:eek:

I would need it to offer something in the itinerary that the others do not do if the price is going to stay higher than their competition.

Of course we don't KNOW what the pricing will be yet.

Perhaps they're talking high, in the hope we think "great" when the price is lower.

Well hoping anyway.

You may be onto something there. I sure do hope you are right.:D

Think I read some where pricing will be released around 26 June. So waiting to see what their lead in pricing will be like. Hopefully reasonable, as another player in the market should and I say should bring some market discounts...fingers crossed....

They haven't released prices yet but did say they will be more expensive than other cruise lines, such as Royal Caribbean - and they are happy to be because,

Harry Sommer, the company's executive vice president of international business development, said NCL has "far superior" food, entertainment and accommodation than its competitors.

Well, he would say that. Not the way I perceive them in the market though.

Think I read some where pricing will be released around 26 June. So waiting to see what their lead in pricing will be like. Hopefully reasonable, as another player in the market should and I say should bring some market discounts...fingers crossed....

The on line brochure for all the Australian cruises states 29 June, so I guess the pricing would out by then.

I have been on the Jewel (and the Wind a long time ago) and I do not believe NCL is superior and I don't like to pay higher prices when I can get more for my money with RCL (we have reached Diamond) or Princess. The Jewel is more like Rhapsody but is not as nice.

The entertainment and food were good but they are worse with trying to get you to part with your money than say RCL. My husband's wine was confiscated at the dock - really, is 2 bottles of wine such an issue to their bottom line, more like money grabbing. The ship is fine but the atrium does not have a WOW factor. They have a number of paying restaurants that appeared empty most of the time and on a cold sea day it was hard to find a nice cosy place to read. The pool area is lacking in shaded areas for loungers but there were lots of tables to sit at.

Would I go with NCL again at higher prices - very hard when Princess and RCL are cheaper and are good cruise lines - you must be joking Mr. executive vice president if you think you can win Aussies over with higher prices.

Heres a summary of the suggested cruises from the brochure for the Australian Season

Note all are subject to confirmation

03 October 2017 - 10 Nights, Hawaii - Vancouver to Honolulu

13 October 2017 - 12 Nights, Hawaii & French Polynesia - Honolulu to Papeete

25 October 2017 - 17 Nights, French Polynesia & South Pacific - Papeete to Sydney

12 November 2017 - 5 Nights, Australia & Tasmania - Sydney Return

17 November 2017 - 13 Nights, Australia & New Zealand - Sydney Return

30 November 2017 - 14 Nights, Australia & New Zealand - Sydney Return

14 December 2017 - 9 Nights, Australia & Tasmania - Sydney Return

23 December 2017 - 13 Nights, Australia & New Zealand - Sydney Return

05 January 2018 - 16 Nights, Australia & New Zealand - Sydney Return

21 January 2018 - 10 Nights, Australia & New Zealand -Sydney to Auckland

31 January 2018 - 10 Nights, Australia & New Zealand - Auckland to Sydney

10 February 2018 - 10 Nights, Australia & New Zealand -Sydney Return

20 February 2018 - 18 Nights, Australia & Southeast Asia - Sydney to Singapore

10 March 2018 - 11 Nights, Southeast Asia - Singapore to Hong Kong

21 March 2018 - 11 Nights, China, Korea & Japan - Hong Kong to Tokyo

I will give credit to the range of itineraries, and that they're offering both one-way, and return NZ cruises. There's a nice selection there except notably, no South Pacific ones (which would also suit NCL). Looks like they do want to target many US cruisers.

Heres a summary of the suggested cruises from the brochure for the Australian Season

Note all are subject to confirmation

03 October 2017 - 10 Nights, Hawaii - Vancouver to Honolulu

13 October 2017 - 12 Nights, Hawaii & French Polynesia - Honolulu to Papeete

25 October 2017 - 17 Nights, French Polynesia & South Pacific - Papeete to Sydney

12 November 2017 - 5 Nights, Australia & Tasmania - Sydney Return

17 November 2017 - 13 Nights, Australia & New Zealand - Sydney Return

30 November 2017 - 14 Nights, Australia & New Zealand - Sydney Return

14 December 2017 - 9 Nights, Australia & Tasmania - Sydney Return

23 December 2017 - 13 Nights, Australia & New Zealand - Sydney Return

05 January 2018 - 16 Nights, Australia & New Zealand - Sydney Return

21 January 2018 - 10 Nights, Australia & New Zealand -Sydney to Auckland

31 January 2018 - 10 Nights, Australia & New Zealand - Auckland to Sydney

10 February 2018 - 10 Nights, Australia & New Zealand -Sydney Return

20 February 2018 - 18 Nights, Australia & Southeast Asia - Sydney to Singapore

10 March 2018 - 11 Nights, Southeast Asia - Singapore to Hong Kong

21 March 2018 - 11 Nights, China, Korea & Japan - Hong Kong to Tokyo

I love that 12 Nov and 14 Dec are -Australia and Tasmania..:eek::D

Ack sorry saw the dates & itins already posted - removed mine due dupe :p

I think like everyone else I will be very keen to see the pricing.

But as was mentioned back on page the USD onboard may well keep me with Princess but if NCL offer some exciting specials I will certainly be taking a look.

Edited by to_dee

I will give credit to the range of itineraries, and that they're offering both one-way, and return NZ cruises. There's a nice selection there except notably, no South Pacific ones (which would also suit NCL). Looks like they do want to target many US cruisers.

Yes, they are likely to drive the prices higher if they remain popular with the Us passengers.