Roll calls. Why aren't RCI cruisers active?

Guess the enthusiasm based on specific ship/itinerary has a lot to do with it. I know as a first timer, there wasn't anything about the ship/itinerary I wasn't keenly interested in. My wife and myself make friends easily enough, so meeting new folks on the ship won't be an issue. We are both in our 50's so going with friends and other family just hasn't been an option yet. I do get a lot of the "I go on cruises to veg and not deal with people" vibe. Fair enough.

On the other hand, my wife and I met, what turned out to be dear friends(a couple more like family)for 12 years now on an earlier cruise just by several postings on a roll call and meeting on board ship at an M&M. They even came up to our daughter's wedding last year and we went to their home the year before.

so I think it can go either way. It depends on how people feel.

Hate to say it but social media sites have way more participation.

My last cruise( a 5 night)had a roll call on here.. pretty quiet. Yet,elsewhere there was close to 300 members.

Sign of the times.

Edited by PH8

My last cruise( a 5 night)had a roll call on here.. pretty quiet. Yet,elsewhere there was close to 300 members.

Sign of the times.

Social media sites don't have a meet n mingle provided by RCI or other cruise lines. One M&M years ago offered dinner at captain's table as a prize. Not sure though if that happens anymore.

Sign of the times.

I agree

Going on my second RCI cruise in December. Signed up for my roll call, there's two of us.... Six months out, next to nil participation. My next cruise After that is a Carnival in April. Just a little less than a year out and a good deal more signed up. What gives? No enthusiasm, snobbery, or folks don't know they exist?

I was on a NCI cruise .Only 6 people showed up for the M&G on the ship.

Social media sites don't have a meet n mingle provided by RCI or other cruise lines. One M&M years ago offered dinner at captain's table as a prize. Not sure though if that happens anymore.

Though if you contact RCI in advance they will provide some nice prizes for a big group. They also provided bartenders to "travel" with during the Pub crawl.

Sign of the times.

Yep, no question about it.

I personally think CC's policy regarding those social media sites isn't doing CC any favors, either.

The Royal parties are pretty lame right now. I suggest that the fact that they are doing little, and the site to register is not on the updated web site, means that they intend to dump them. Frankly that's more appealing than a couple of comments and a raffle for bad wine.

Yep, no question about it.

I personally think CC's policy regarding those social media sites isn't doing CC any favors, either.

I agree. I have gotten a lot of useful information from CC during the time I have been on here. I think it would be beneficial to CC to allow members to cross post without being subject to reprimands. There are alot of cruisers that don't know about CC that may benefit as well. Some cruisers enjoy one format or the other.

I prefer CC to that other social media site because I can search for exactly what I want here and folks are super helpful and very knowledgeable. And I do not have a good taste in my mouth for that site and its abuse of our personal information so I prefer to be here.

But, most folks know and use that other site, so it's likely that's where the participation will be.

It's not unlike other platforms where they got usurped as what people expect change. I do hope CC does not go the way of geocities or yahoo groups because this is one of the best, most informative sites I've dealt with. And I really hope that RCI doesn't do away with the MM's.

I prefer CC to that other social media site because I can search for exactly what I want here and folks are super helpful and very knowledgeable. And I do not have a good taste in my mouth for that site and its abuse of our personal information so I prefer to be here.

But, most folks know and use that other site, so it's likely that's where the participation will be.

It's not unlike other platforms where they got usurped as what people expect change. I do hope CC does not go the way of geocities or yahoo groups because this is one of the best, most informative sites I've dealt with. And I really hope that RCI doesn't do away with the MM's.

I agree, even though I'm not a big fan of M&M's. I like to gather information from the threads for my cruises, because the information shared is very specific to date and location. I'm a big research and planner, and I like to share what I've found with others.

What has improved the RCCL board is adding Bob as a monitor. He's the BEST!!

I agree, even though I'm not a big fan of M&M's. I like to gather information from the threads for my cruises, because the information shared is very specific to date and location. I'm a big research and planner, and I like to share what I've found with others.

What has improved the RCCL board is adding Bob as a monitor. He's the BEST!!

ditto

I appreciate exchanging comments and information while on CC and the roll calls, but that's the extent of it for me. Once I am on the ship, I really don't want to participate in a meeting with a bunch of strangers. I go on the cruise to spend relaxing time with my wife and family. The exception for me is if I know the ship's officers will be there to speak and tell us something about the cruise and/or the ship, but that has not been the case recently.