Handicapped beware

margaret91326

Our family of six planned the only Handicap Accessible excursion for Curaçao. We arrived at 7:45 as stated for this excursion and were led to the pier to line up only to be told that they could not accommodate us. Even tho they claim the Panoramic City Tour accommodates wheelchairs, it does not. If you can get out of your chair and board the bus then yes, but not for anyone permanently disabled in a motorized wheel chair. The cruise line needs to be more specific when claiming their excursions are handicapped accessible. A very disappointing experience for our family.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very sorry to hear of this unfortunate experience for your family. I agree that the cruise line needs to be clear and specific regarding accessibility. I hope you addressed this issue with the shore excursion desk. Also, follow up with a letter to Celebrity after your cruise.

Where exactly does it say it's accessible to wheelchair users? Just looked it up on the excursions list an don't see anything about wheelchair users mentioned as able to do the tour. It's just listed under "accessible" which doesn't specifically mean wheelchair users can do it. Good reason to call and ask regarding accessible tours not just book online because it says "accessible".

Book an "accessible" hotel room anywhere and you could end up with a room for blind or deaf not for someone in a wheelchair - it's happened to us many times. Call to confirm their meaning of "accessible" before booking.

Where exactly does it say it's accessible to wheelchair users? Just looked it up on the excursions list an don't see anything about wheelchair users mentioned as able to do the tour. It's just listed under "accessible" which doesn't specifically mean wheelchair users can do it. Good reason to call and ask regarding accessible tours not just book online because it says "accessible".

Book an "accessible" hotel room anywhere and you could end up with a room for blind or deaf not for someone in a wheelchair - it's happened to us many times. Call to confirm their meaning of "accessible" before booking.

Have to totally disagree with your comment. For some time now at least in civilized world areas "accessible " means any and all regardless of there disability can enjoy what everyone else has access to.

Wikipedia definition

Accessible tourism enables people with access requirements, including mobility, vision, hearing and cognitive dimensions of access, to function independently and with equity and dignity through the delivery of universally designed tourism products, services and environments. This definition is inclusive of all people including those travelling with children in prams, people with disabilities and seniors.

It's simple don't use the word accessible in advertising unless you can deliver.

Our family of six planned the only Handicap Accessible excursion for Curaçao. We arrived at 7:45 as stated for this excursion and were led to the pier to line up only to be told that they could not accommodate us. Even tho they claim the Panoramic City Tour accommodates wheelchairs, it does not. If you can get out of your chair and board the bus then yes, but not for anyone permanently disabled in a motorized wheel chair. The cruise line needs to be more specific when claiming their excursions are handicapped accessible. A very disappointing experience for our family.

-----------

You should have confirmed that in advance with the Shore Excursions desk.

It is difficult to explain absolutely every aspect in the tour description.

I am sure the Shore Excursions desk apologized to you and refunded your cost right away. Right?

Also, did anyone in the family go on the excursion?

My husband uses a transport chair to get off and on the ship as he can only walk short distances. I agree it can be confusing for disabled people to book shore excursions in advance. I always go to the desk and make sure they can accommodate his folding chair just to be on the safe side. I imagine it is even more difficult for those who need a lift to get on a bus.

Have to totally disagree with your comment. For some time now at least in civilized world areas "accessible " means any and all regardless of there disability can enjoy what everyone else has access to.

Wikipedia definition

Accessible tourism enables people with access requirements, including mobility, vision, hearing and cognitive dimensions of access, to function independently and with equity and dignity through the delivery of universally designed tourism products, services and environments. This definition is inclusive of all people including those travelling with children in prams, people with disabilities and seniors.

It's simple don't use the word accessible in advertising unless you can deliver.

Thanks for understanding. This excursion was given to us thru the accessible website on celebrity. Perhaps we should have checked but I agree. Accessible means accessible.

Thanks for understanding. This excursion was given to us thru the accessible website on celebrity. Perhaps we should have checked but I agree. Accessible means accessible.

Totally understand where you are coming from but after struggling myself with some mobility issues this year I have learned to question lots of things re 'accessible'! I guess the word disabled is just too big, ranging from guests who need a stick to guests almost totally without any movement....

Most trips we have found require you to be able to get out of your chair and climb onto a coach....whilst I can walk some distance on crutches that first step onto a coach is beyond me!

Especially with 6 of you you may find looking at private excursions a better option....For example, for myself, I could easily get in and out of a car but not a bus/coach. You may find a company which has a 'lift' minibus.....Not only may you find these trips more accessible you may even find as a family group they are cheaper. As an example again, we were able to book on line directly a wheelchair accessible space on the Flam railway cheaper than booking through Celebrity a standard seat where I would need to transfer from chair to seat and have my chair folded away....

Sincere best wishes that despite this disappointment it doesn't put you off cruising and sightseeing.....We have found there are loads of things I can do but when looking at tour descriptions I need to focus and ask questions about the things I can't do....

Margaret91326:

Thank you so very much for posting this alert for others who might not know that in spite of the fact that an excursion or facility is described as "accessible," it may not actually be so! We who are new to the world of disability travel have learned from your posting to verify everything. Very sorry that you were disappointed, but thanks for being thoughtful enough to help others not to be similarly disappointed!

Margaret91326:

Thank you so very much for posting this alert for others who might not know that in spite of the fact that an excursion or facility is described as "accessible," it may not actually be so! We who are new to the world of disability travel have learned from your posting to verify everything. Very sorry that you were disappointed, but thanks for being thoughtful enough to help others not to be similarly disappointed!

You are so welcome! It's a world that no one understands unless they live it.

Thanks for the warning. We will be taking our first Celebrity cruise next year. It will also be the first time I have needed an accessible cabin and will probably be using a powerchair on board. It's good to be reminded that we cannot take anything for granted regarding accessibility.

As a wheelchair user i'm having this discussion with Celebrity at the moment regarding our upcoming cruise Vietnam & Philippines cruise on Millennium. Celebrity’sAccessible Shore Excursions Brochure states that Level 2 tours are designed for forguests unable to negotiate steps or full time wheelchair users however most tours listed in the Level 2 Excursions Brochure state Guestsmust walk on and off the motor coach unattended and be able to negotiate 3 to 5motor coach steps, each step is approximately 12 inches high. Confusing to say the least.

Thanks for the warning. We will be taking our first Celebrity cruise next year. It will also be the first time I have needed an accessible cabin and will probably be using a powerchair on board. It's good to be reminded that we cannot take anything for granted regarding accessibility.

Please be reminded that your powerchair will have to be inside your cabin at night and not left in the hallway.

• 2 weeks later...
As a wheelchair user i'm having this discussion with Celebrity at the moment regarding our upcoming cruise Vietnam & Philippines cruise on Millennium. Celebrity’sAccessible Shore Excursions Brochure states that Level 2 tours are designed for forguests unable to negotiate steps or full time wheelchair users however most tours listed in the Level 2 Excursions Brochure state Guestsmust walk on and off the motor coach unattended and be able to negotiate 3 to 5motor coach steps, each step is approximately 12 inches high. Confusing to say the least.

Exactly my point and why I started this thread. Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As a wheelchair user I'm having this discussion with Celebrity at the moment regarding our upcoming cruise Vietnam & Philippines cruise on Millennium. Celebrity’s Accessible Shore Excursions Brochure states that Level 2 tours are designed for for guests unable to negotiate steps or full time wheelchair users however most tours listed in the Level 2 Excursions Brochure state Guests must walk on and off the motor coach unattended and be able to negotiate 3 to 5motor coach steps, each step is approximately 12 inches high. Confusing to say the least.

What this says to me is, prepare for worse case scenario as X cannot guarantee how entry access will be for any specific motor coach used for tours, since it is a third party providing them.

What is worse case scenario? Five (5) steps, 12" high each. If that may be an issue, quite possibly a private tour might be in order to avoid the hindrance of access.

Not every country will have accessible regulations exactly or even similar or if at all, like many western countries.

I trust you will be able to take any and all tours desired with a minimum of accessible inconvenience. I understand it can be frustrating for individuals who require access to transport or sites or buildings or ships and not experience this adequately or with a minimum of inconvenience.

Many places/companies around the world have a ways to go to catch up or even catch on. It will be expensive in some places and for some companies.

bon voyage

Wikipedia definition

Sorry have to disagree with you. I would like to think in the UK we are civilised. Even though things are slightly improving not everywhere is suitable for everyone. A couple of years ago I had an op on my foot, which meant I was temp. less mobile..This is when you learn that if there are any mobility issues you check and check and check again. If we are not getting there I can understand how other countries aren't.

Remember on a cruise excursion, if a ship one..you are relying on them checking that what they are being supplied with is suitable for how they are selling that excursion. A lot of countries also do not have the financial means/laws in place to provide totally accessable transport.

Thank you to the OP for posting a heads up. I doubt it's very helpful to tell people what they should have done before the cruise - I'm pretty sure they've figured out by now that talking to Celebrity ahead of time would be wise:). Even if the phone help is not the best (and we all know that is true!), check in with the Shore Excursions desk ASAP after boarding. If the tour is not what you want/need then you can cancel (I believe the window is 24 hours before but in this case they conceivably would make an exception to that rule).

One more suggestion is to post a question on the port calls section of these boards, or even ask on your Roll Call. Doesn't hurt and you may find your answer there.

Another suggestion is to try to figure out who is providing the tour, and then go to that company's website - they may have more information and often pictures. Often the same tour companies sell to Celebrity but also independent.

In the last year, having had a significant mobility issue, we have also found local tourism sites really helpful. In the Spring we cruised the Norwegian Fjiords. We were able to email very specific questions and get back useful (and truthful) answers. Whilst not all local tourism centres may be as efficient it can still be a good starting point. Even if the information is negative (not good for guests with disability issues) then at least you know where you stand (or sit!). For example, for us, Bergen was quite problematic. We had time to consider a range of options and decided in the end to simply enjoy the Solarium all to ourselves!

The important thing is to gather necessary information, look at possible options then go for what suits you best...

I'm a full time wheelchair user an you really have to do your own research before booking anything that claims to be "accessible". We had the opposite happen on multiple cruises. Family an friends would do excursions that weren't listed as "accessible" yet when they got back to the ship everyone was saying how I could have done them. Yes there were accessibility issues but not big enough to say everyone in a wheelchair is unable to go an do these things. Sure not everyone in a chair is as able to do things like I can but there are variations of disability and accessibility. Nowhere is 100% accessible to everyone, at some point someone is going to need help doing things that are listed simply as "accessible". For my upcoming cruise they have a few "accessible" excursions listed but only TWO specifically say WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE.