Which airport? FLL or MIA?

2Long2NxtCrz

Have booked a cruise out of Miami on Celebrity Equinox for the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Hubby and I will be flying in on Thursday, probably, since we're using miles for our flights, We've never been to Miami (or FLL yet, but we're going on a family cruise there in June) so we want to see a bit of Miami, but have no idea which airport to fly into.

We'd also love any recommendations for 'not to be missed Miami'.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Since your ship is leaving out of Miami my first choice would be to fly to/from Miami International Airport since it is closer to the port and you could stay in Miami.

While locals often prefer Fort Lauderdale Airport I much prefer Miami over Fort Lauderdale airport as the airline we often fly uses a terminal at Miami that has lots of restaurants and stores and in Fort Lauderdale the terminal that the same airline uses we don't care for.

We like to stay in downtown Miami.

We do take transportation one day over to South Beach. We prefer being dropped off on Ocean Drive near the art deco hotels and we will walk the area and the beach sometimes heading North past South Beach on the boardwalk. We also like to walk by Lincoln Road which has many stores and we will visit the Holocaust Museum. We find South Beach a nice place to eat and to people watch.

Back to the airport look at your options for using miles and see which flight(s) you can use it.

Keep in mind that Fort Lauderdale Airport is about 45 minutes North of Miami (precise time varies by traffic/day of week/time of day) and would add some cost.

Keith

If you look just a couple of threads down the board, you will find this thread on "Miami must sees":

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2586974

As to what airport to fly into, you should calculate that it will add $30-50 per person to your budget to handle ground transport, and it is likely the hotel in Miami may cost more than a hotel in Ft Lauderdale. Consider that when comparing airfares into the different airports.

Since your ship is leaving out of Miami my first choice would be to fly to/from Miami International Airport since it is closer to the port and you could stay in Miami.

While locals often prefer Fort Lauderdale Airport I much prefer Miami over Fort Lauderdale airport as the airline we often fly uses a terminal at Miami that has lots of restaurants and stores and in Fort Lauderdale the terminal that the same airline uses we don't care for.

We like to stay in downtown Miami.

We do take transportation one day over to South Beach. We prefer being dropped off on Ocean Drive near the art deco hotels and we will walk the area and the beach sometimes heading North past South Beach on the boardwalk. We also like to walk by Lincoln Road which has many stores and we will visit the Holocaust Museum. We find South Beach a nice place to eat and to people watch.

Back to the airport look at your options for using miles and see which flight(s) you can use it.

Keep in mind that Fort Lauderdale Airport is about 45 minutes North of Miami (precise time varies by traffic/day of week/time of day) and would add some cost.

Keith

Thank you! There are more options for flights to/from Miami, so I think I'll keep it simple and fly into there.

I also really appreciate your suggestions for what to do/see. We love architecture and art deco is a personal favorite, so it'll be great to wander around that area.

If you look just a couple of threads down the board, you will find this thread on "Miami must sees":

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2586974

As to what airport to fly into, you should calculate that it will add $30-50 per person to your budget to handle ground transport, and it is likely the hotel in Miami may cost more than a hotel in Ft Lauderdale. Consider that when comparing airfares into the different airports.

I did read through that thread, but it never hurts to see if others have different suggestions.

And we're not really worried about airfare since we're using miles, but Miami has more flight options and seems like a better airport, plus cheaper ground transportation for our return for sure. I appreciate your thoughts.

I agree with the advice to stay in downtown Miami if you are flying into MIA. Uber from MIA to downtown hotels will run under $20 or you can take a taxi for $25-30 depending upon hotel/location. Popular hotels include Hampton Inn and others in the Mary Brickell area, Hyatt, Intercontinental, Doubletree and various Marriott properties.

Taxi from any of these to POM will be about $12-13 or you can Uber for just under $10. South Beach is a must visit and there are a couple of different hop-on/off bus tours for a good overview.

Have a great cruise! ;)

Fll is usually always cheaper and a easy uber ride to miami

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks! I really appreciate all the folks around here who freely share the benefit of their experience. Since we're using miles, price wasn't an issue, and there's actually surprise-surprise a direct flight home from Miami! So no stopping in DFW. Yay!

Thank you! There are more options for flights to/from Miami, so I think I'll keep it simple and fly into there.

I also really appreciate your suggestions for what to do/see. We love architecture and art deco is a personal favorite, so it'll be great to wander around that area.

You are very welcome.

Keith

Yea, usually the difference between the airports is about price 99% of the time. While MIA is a bigger airport with more amenities most travelers don't care about that. Both airports are close enough to both ports that it really does not make a difference other than price for the flight and any transport from the airports.

I see you are staying three nights in Miami. You should also look at staying in Miami Beach/South Beach over Downtown/Brickell. Both are great areas, but I usually recommend Miami Beach for longer stays as that is the "Miami" one sees on TV and in the movies. You still should check out Downtown Miami and Brickell regardless.

If you stay in Downtown/Brickell its pretty easy to get to Miami Beach/South Beach anyway.

As for must see:

Ocean Drive for Art Deco Buildings. IMO Ocean Drive is just for that to see the buildings and the people and beach nothing else.

Lincoln Road in the evening.

Little Havana and Cuban resturant. I would also reccomend getting some other Latin American cuusine, Venezeulan food is a great lunch option and Peruvian for dinner. Local sea food is always a good option too.

If you enjoy architecture Vizcaya and the Biltmore Hotel should be on your list too.

I usually suggest for longer visits some type of boat tour ride along Biscayne Bay. Also good to see the new and old mansions on the bay. Just don't beleive the tour guides about all the stars that live there. 80% of them don't or used to. Most homes are just owed by successful normal people, dcotors, lawyers, finance etc..

Yea, usually the difference between the airports is about price 99% of the time. While MIA is a bigger airport with more amenities most travelers don't care about that. Both airports are close enough to both ports that it really does not make a difference other than price for the flight and any transport from the airports.

I see you are staying three nights in Miami. You should also look at staying in Miami Beach/South Beach over Downtown/Brickell. Both are great areas, but I usually recommend Miami Beach for longer stays as that is the "Miami" one sees on TV and in the movies. You still should check out Downtown Miami and Brickell regardless.

If you stay in Downtown/Brickell its pretty easy to get to Miami Beach/South Beach anyway.

As for must see:

Ocean Drive for Art Deco Buildings. IMO Ocean Drive is just for that to see the buildings and the people and beach nothing else.

Lincoln Road in the evening.

Little Havana and Cuban resturant. I would also reccomend getting some other Latin American cuusine, Venezeulan food is a great lunch option and Peruvian for dinner. Local sea food is always a good option too.

If you enjoy architecture Vizcaya and the Biltmore Hotel should be on your list too.

I usually suggest for longer visits some type of boat tour ride along Biscayne Bay. Also good to see the new and old mansions on the bay. Just don't beleive the tour guides about all the stars that live there. 80% of them don't or used to. Most homes are just owed by successful normal people, dcotors, lawyers, finance etc..

Thank you for these suggestions! I ended up going with a South Beach hotel -- Marriott Vacation Club Pulse because it's small, historic, and has beach access, plus location location location (and good rate) -- because I wanted to see the Miami we see on television, in movies. :D

I've noted the Vizcaya and Biltmore as well as the other suggestions! We totally love Latin American cuisine so will be eager to sample the variety! I'll look into a boat tour, but, since we're only there for 1 1/2 full days, I'm not sure I'll be able to fit it in. It could be an alternative on our return day since that flight leaves late.

Thank you, again. I am always grateful for all of the fabulous information folks share on these boards!

I agree with the advice to stay in downtown Miami if you are flying into MIA. Uber from MIA to downtown hotels will run under $20 or you can take a taxi for $25-30 depending upon hotel/location. Popular hotels include Hampton Inn and others in the Mary Brickell area, Hyatt, Intercontinental, Doubletree and various Marriott properties.

Taxi from any of these to POM will be about $12-13 or you can Uber for just under $10. South Beach is a must visit and there are a couple of different hop-on/off bus tours for a good overview.

Have a great cruise! ;)

Thank you!

FLL is no longer the quiet, better airport. It's often a mad house. It's not always crazy, but I would definitely not go out of my way to fly out of FLL over MIA. I prefer MIA. So if you are cruising out of PortMiami, then for sure, fly in and out of MIA. However, if you can get a much cheaper flight (budget airlines like Spirit, JetBlue, and Southwest all use FLL) - then the drive via Uber is short enough to not be a big deal getting to Miami from FLL if you are saving money.

Thank you for these suggestions! I ended up going with a South Beach hotel -- Marriott Vacation Club Pulse because it's small, historic, and has beach access, plus location location location (and good rate) -- because I wanted to see the Miami we see on television, in movies. :D

I've noted the Vizcaya and Biltmore as well as the other suggestions! We totally love Latin American cuisine so will be eager to sample the variety! I'll look into a boat tour, but, since we're only there for 1 1/2 full days, I'm not sure I'll be able to fit it in. It could be an alternative on our return day since that flight leaves late.

Thank you, again. I am always grateful for all of the fabulous information folks share on these boards!

Yea, maybe a boat tour is for another day, it is usually about 1-2 hours. Though you will get a boat tour yourself on the ship when you leave. Here is a tip for departure, unless you have a balcony and want to be there for the departure. If you don't have a balcony or like being on the top. If the ship is facing west, that means they will make a very cool u-turn towards sea. Get a spot on the left side of the ship as that gives you both the downtown view on the u-turn and then the Miami Beach view on the way out to sea.

If the ship is facing to the East there is no u-turn so I would suggest the left side regardless as there is more to see. The right side would pass other ships, have a view of downtown and the port.

Hope you enjoy our city. Any other questions please let us know.

FLL is no longer the quiet, better airport. It's often a mad house. It's not always crazy, but I would definitely not go out of my way to fly out of FLL over MIA. I prefer MIA. So if you are cruising out of PortMiami, then for sure, fly in and out of MIA. However, if you can get a much cheaper flight (budget airlines like Spirit, JetBlue, and Southwest all use FLL) - then the drive via Uber is short enough to not be a big deal getting to Miami from FLL if you are saving money.

This is very true. There are not many locals anymore who say they go to FLL because its easier. Its not. Its just usually cheaper. FLL is a disaster. The new terminal 4 (G gates) are coming along nicely but that is the only nice part of the airport. I was there on Friday night, G was great and busy with the Emirates flight to Dubai. The rest of 3 was super busy too, as usual but its so packed. I am a BIG fan of JetBlue and really hope for some improvements out of their terminal area some day.

Agree, FLL is a nightmare any longer.

A South Beach do not miss is going to The Delano pool bar for a mojito. It's spendy, but there is no better way to get totally immersed in South Beach. The hotel architecture is spectacular and so are the grounds. Just walk through the front lobby out back to the hotel.

Sometimes they will put out signs that say "Guests Only" but it is usually only if they have VIPs on property. We just walk around them.

Agree, FLL is a nightmare any longer.

A South Beach do not miss is going to The Delano pool bar for a mojito. It's spendy, but there is no better way to get totally immersed in South Beach. The hotel architecture is spectacular and so are the grounds. Just walk through the front lobby out back to the hotel.

Sometimes they will put out signs that say "Guests Only" but it is usually only if they have VIPs on property. We just walk around them.

Oh! That sounds amazing! I love mojitos and having it in that kind of atmosphere sounds awesome!

Thank you!