Eclipse: dance floors (and live music)

FlyingFlip

Where are the main areas for dancing and music on Celebrity Eclipse? Is it mainly the Sky Observation Lounge and Quasar? Is it true that the Grand Foyer and Ensemble Lounge have little to no dance floor?

Are there any other spots we should look for live music and a dance floor?

My wife and I (and a couple of our friends) are fairly serious dancers. We mostly dance swing and country western styles, but we can fake a bit of ballroom and Latin styles.

It always varies. We just got off the Eclipse. The CD, Eddy Jenkins, is probably the best we have had. He does a great job lining up entertainment for the daily ship’s activity. He doesn’t try to be the show, and does his job without any self promotions or fanfare. Every night there was dancing somewhere except in the streets or sea. 😱

With Captain Leo they make a great team. I would say the best now in the fleet.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We are serious dancers but Celebrity ships are not conducive to our routines. We can manage a Jive or a Cha Cha but take a break from any of the fancy stuff whilst cruising as there just isn’t room. P & O and Cunard have much better dance spaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Celebrity Millenium class ships have a nice sized dance floor in the (I think)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Eclipse a Solstice class? I haven't been on Solstice class or Millennium class before, so they're not good points of reference for me.

We can manage a Jive or a Cha Cha

Thanks. That's a helpful reference for the amount of space available.

We see couples dancing at the Grand Foyer all nights, also one day there was a silent disco party.

Thanks. The picture was helpful.

One night at Sky Observation Lounge was the ABBA party

I'm guessing that will happen on our cruise ... either right before or right after Stockholm. I've never learned Hustle, but I can make do with WCS. Thanks.

I have e seen a few “ball room dancers” on board that think they own or entitled to the whole dance floor and get irritated by others imposing on them. Q

Honestly most of the people are just on the dance floor jumping around like wild Indians getting pumped up for a fight against the white man or swaying around enjoying themselves. What is dancing? Do we all need to be in a rehearsed routine and be in a certain designated official

certified step?

Personally my wife and I don’t practice for hours at home a certain routine and carry special dance clothes to put on a show. We don’t care and and are just out to have fun. We aren’t in a dance contest or out to try to impress anyone and most aren’t.

And yes there are a lot of opportunities to dance if you want but maybe not something that you are looking for to show off your “dancing” ability or routine. It may not be every night but there are some opportunities but they may not fit into your schedule.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We enjoy ballroom dancing, which isn’t real common to see on cruises now. We were happy to see that on Reflection they provided pre-recorded ballroom music in a venue several nights for an hour or so. This was requested by another couple who wanted ballroom dance. So, if you want specific music, go ask. They very well may accommodate you. The foyer gets so crowded, it was very nice to go to another venue that was open and inviting. On Reflection we were in the Sky Lounge.

I have e seen a few “ball room dancers” on board that think they own or entitled to the whole dance floor and get irritated by others imposing on them. Q

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

As a ballroom dancer I would have to disagree with your comment. With good floor craft there is no "imposing" and we happily dance with anybody (good, bad or indifferent).

That said, the atriums on the Solstice class ships are tiny compared to the Princess Grand and Royal class ships. The Sky lounges are better but not so much on Reflection.

Honestly most of the people are just on the dance floor jumping around like wild Indians getting pumped up for a fight against the white man or swaying around enjoying themselves. What is dancing? Do we all need to be in a rehearsed routine and be in a certain designated official

certified step?

Cranky this morning? :rolleyes:

Out of 20+ that were all very good to great (save one on RCCL) My DH and I would both agree that the BEST cruise we ever took was a "big band" theme repositioning cruise from NYC to Sea on HAL.

We didn't even know it was a theme cruise when we booked it and, quite frankly, worried that the age of the other passengers would be ancient. We are not dancers of ANY sort. We have NEVER watched "Dancing with the Stars". We do Not listen to Big Band music.

But we loved watching the passengers dancing every evening, many of the women dressed in outfits that were designed to spot light their skills. The Gentleman Hosts were a kick and (mostly) drop dead gorgeous. It was entertainment during cocktail hour (one of our FEW complaints about X) and more interesting 'people watching' than you can imagine.

We were happy to see that on Reflection they provided pre-recorded ballroom music in a venue several nights for an hour or so. This was requested by another couple who wanted ballroom dance. So, if you want specific music, go ask. They very well may accommodate you.

Thanks. Do you know whom the other couple asked, or whom we should make that kind of request to?

That said, the atriums on the Solstice class ships are tiny compared to the Princess Grand and Royal class ships. The Sky lounges are better but not so much on Reflection.

So would these pictures of the Solstice Grand Foyer provide an accurate representation of the layout of the Eclipse Grand Foyer?

If so, it seems like the size of the floor is less of a problem than the placement. The staircase drops into the middle of the dance floor. And between the staircase, the dance floor, the structural supports, the "stage" for musicians, and the elevator bank, it appears there are few options for people to cross the foyer without cutting across the dance floor.

I have e seen a few “ball room dancers” on board that think they own or entitled to the whole dance floor and get irritated by others imposing on them.

Um ... how is your response remotely related to my question? I already specified that we're not ballroom dancers. Furthermore, every other assumption you made about us is so wildly inaccurate as to be laughable.

If you want to rant, go start your own thread.

I love dancing and you will have plenty opportunity on Eclipse to dance your hearts out. There are classes during the day and dancing in the atrium, quasar and sky lounge - just check your daily planner and take a highlighter pen with you so you wont miss anything - hope you enjoy - keeeep dancing :D

certified step?

Personally my wife and I don’t practice for hours at home a certain routine and carry special dance clothes to put on a show. We don’t care and and are just out to have fun. We aren’t in a dance contest or out to try to impress anyone and most aren’t.

And yes there are a lot of opportunities to dance if you want but maybe not something that you are looking for to show off your “dancing” ability or routine. It may not be every night but there are some opportunities but they may not fit into your schedule.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

You make a false assumption here that those who like dancing want to show off. This is really not the case. We dance "proper dances" because we enjoy it, not for anyone else's entertainment. We adjust what we dance according to the size of the dance floor and how busy it is. If the dance floor gets too busy we can do disco dancing too. My only gripe is against people who carry their drinks onto the dance floor.

Where are the main areas for dancing and music on Celebrity Eclipse? Is it mainly the Sky Observation Lounge and Quasar? Is it true that the Grand Foyer and Ensemble Lounge have little to no dance floor?

Are there any other spots we should look for live music and a dance floor?

My wife and I (and a couple of our friends) are fairly serious dancers. We mostly dance swing and country western styles, but we can fake a bit of ballroom and Latin styles.

I have answered your post but I need to tell you that the sky lounge dance floor is certainly large enough for the most accomplished of ballroom dancers. I am IDTA trained to 6 gold bars and fully trained in Old Tyme, latin and modern sequence. The best dancers can dance on a sixpence and on Eclipse you will have every opportunity if you are happy to take it - enjoy :D

We are serious dancers but Celebrity ships are not conducive to our routines. We can manage a Jive or a Cha Cha but take a break from any of the fancy stuff whilst cruising as there just isn’t room. P & O and Cunard have much better dance spaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The sky lounge is large enough for great routines ?

Yes, the Grand Foyer is where a lot of people dance on the S class - we thought it was going to be awful, being used to the dedicated Rendezvous lounge dance floor on the M class, but it was so much fun once you get over the weird "here I am dancing while people are conducting business at guest relations".

You make a false assumption here that those who like dancing want to show off. This is really not the case. We dance "proper dances" because we enjoy it, not for anyone else's entertainment. We adjust what we dance according to the size of the dance floor and how busy it is. If the dance floor gets too busy we can do disco dancing too. My only gripe is against people who carry their drinks onto the dance floor.

I believe you as you describe your own dancing style. I have, however, encountered dancers of the type described in the post you were responding to - dancers who clearly have spent time taking lessons (I couldn't care less about this part), who dress to the nines in outfits you might see on Dancing with the Stars (don't care about this part either but it can be interesting to see), and then take up the entire dance floor floating around doing their fancy dance routines and scowling at anyone who gets in their way (THIS part is annoying as all heck). The saddest part is that more often than not their dancing is nowhere near as good as they seem to think it is.

I also love dancing, do my own thing, politely make room for others, and just generally have a good time. That is what dancing should be! I think we agree on that.

Flying Flip, just go to guest services and they’ll direct you to the person who you need to communicate with. They were so nice to us, even leaving a message on our cabin phone, telling us what they were planning. It was quite nice and since they posted it in the daily, people actually showed up!

Flying Flip, just go to guest services and they’ll direct you to the person who you need to communicate with.

Thank you. Hopefully the ship bands will have a repertoire that works for us, but if not, we'll take your suggestion as Plan B.

I believe you as you describe your own dancing style. I have, however, encountered dancers of the type described in the post you were responding to - dancers who clearly have spent time taking lessons (I couldn't care less about this part), who dress to the nines in outfits you might see on Dancing with the Stars (don't care about this part either but it can be interesting to see), and then take up the entire dance floor floating around doing their fancy dance routines and scowling at anyone who gets in their way (THIS part is annoying as all heck). The saddest part is that more often than not their dancing is nowhere near as good as they seem to think it is.

I also love dancing, do my own thing, politely make room for others, and just generally have a good time. That is what dancing should be! I think we agree on that.

You may have been on some of the same cruises that we were on. It was actually comical to see them wait for the band to play what they wanted and then run on the dance floor all by themselves. Gradually others would decide that they want to dance and now their routine was ruined because they needed the whole floor that they thought they were entitled to. Since they needed the whole floor as that is what they practiced they ended up leaving in a huff as if they were insulted. Actually kind of sad that they couldn’t do the performance that may have been the high light of their cruise.

I like your reference to Dancing with the Stars as it certainly does fit them.

Problem is readers of posts overlook words like “few” and how it is different than “all”

Happy crusing 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅