How will NCL handle port fee's now that Jade Dec 18 has gone from 6 ports to 5 ports.

lucywestie

So it appears that Norwegian is starting to send out updated itineraries for the Jade for the December 18th sailing. They have changed all the ports and have dropped from 6 to 5 ports. This obviously affects what people have paid as its now past final payment date. Will they refund it to the credit card provided or would they just do it as an on board credit. Obviously its still 10 weeks away and its not going to be a huge amount of money, just wondering how they will handle it.

As an after thought, are there different port fees and different taxes for different ports. I doubt they are all the same so I imagine somebody has to be working out the new costs for the new ports etc.

I’m on a November Epic cruise and we actually went from 3 ports to 4. Since it is past final payment I wonder if NCL will just pay the port fees for the additional port themselves and we won’t be charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They will refund as OBC any monies due to you I would think.

If there is a difference you are correct, but unless the ports stay exactly the same except for one less, the fees are based on port charges set up by the ports, not NCL> It will be interesting to see. Some ports have higher post charges than others.

I’m on Jade Nov. 27th., they also dropped 1 port and gave us a complete new itinerary.

I called my PCC and asked about the port fees and he told me that if there’s a refund, it’ll be credited back to CC after the Cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I've contacted NCL and they've confirmed no port fees or any other compensation being refunded. I totally understand the need to change itinery however it's a big deal liaising out on a port stop with no refund being issued.

I've contacted NCL and they've confirmed no port fees or any other compensation being refunded. I totally understand the need to change itinery however it's a big deal liaising out on a port stop with no refund being issued.

I asked the same question as you did, got the same answer.

I don't think NCL refunds port fees for missed/cancelled ports (maybe they used to, but I don't think they do anymore), so they have even less reason to do it if one or more of the remaining ports have also been replaced. Because they can always claim that the fees for the new ports are higher. These fees are totally opaque to the customer. I guess they could even say "actually we didn't use any of your cruise fare to pay the fees for that port, so there's nothing to refund".

That's good to know. I've had 3 or 4 ports cancelled in the past couple of years, with no port fees refunded, and there have been lots of similar reports from others around here. So I would revise my statement to say that they don't usually/necessarily refund anything, and that sounds like what they've decided to do for the OP's sailing.

We are on the Jade Nov 6-16th. Called NCL and they said no reimbursement because the new itinerary port fees / taxes are higher

I don't believe them when they say that they are higher. I'm on the Jade March 23rd sailing doing the same itinerary as yours. Tonight I checked prices with the new itinerary and the taxes, fees, port expenses is exactly the same amount as our original booking. If the taxes/fees were higher now, wouldn't those charges be higher now on a new reservation?

Just off the Jewel where my husband and I each received an OBC (refundable) on our account without any explanation. In speaking to others on board, we were told that it was a refund for a changed itinerary (Kauai instead of Kona). It was more than I thought these fees would be - $80/per person. Maybe it’s because the canceled port would have required tendering, which I assume is more costly.

If there is a difference you are correct, but unless the ports stay exactly the same except for one less, the fees are based on port charges set up by the ports, not NCL> It will be interesting to see. Some ports have higher post charges than others.

This is true. And I have no idea how to figure out what the costs per port would be. I asked TA about this who inquired about it. She was told we would not get a refund as the costs were the same. I would not think Cayman Islands or Jamaica would be higher but I really don't know about the ABC islands and port charges. She also inquired about refunding excursions and requested mine be refunded. Just checked my credit card and they refunded one but not the other.....not sure what's going on there.

I received an email from NCL after querying port fee refund. They advise no refund and the possibility the cruise will be advertised at a higher cost to new customers. I can't imagine anyone wanting to book a 5 port calling cruise with 4 days at sea. I'm not convinced the itinerary change is good value for money. Do people not mind being at sea this long? There's so many other Company's offering more port calls for the same price.

So it appears that Norwegian is starting to send out updated itineraries for the Jade for the December 18th sailing. They have changed all the ports and have dropped from 6 to 5 ports. This obviously affects what people have paid as its now past final payment date. Will they refund it to the credit card provided or would they just do it as an on board credit. Obviously its still 10 weeks away and its not going to be a huge amount of money, just wondering how they will handle it.

As an after thought, are there different port fees and different taxes for different ports. I doubt they are all the same so I imagine somebody has to be working out the new costs for the new ports etc.

I am on this cruise but leaving 6th November , i have contacted NCL and have been told that there will be no refunds or extra OBC as the cost of the cruise is based on Port Fees and the ports we are not visiting have higher port fees

We are on the Jade Nov 6-16th. Called NCL and they said no reimbursement because the new itinerary port fees / taxes are higher

That's what our TA was told. Impossible for us to decipher, isn't it? I hardly think Jamaica and Cayman Islands are higher but do not know cost of ABC islands. I would think Barbados and St. Lucia would have been comparable. My opinion (which is worth nothing after final payment) was that we should have been able to keep the two remaining ports and add other islands comparable to what we had like was done for Sun and Dawn.