POA Balcony room on port or starboard

fedexretiree

I am trying to help my friends book a balcony room and I need some help here.

We are trying to decide on the port for Napali or starboard for the volcano.

I was told by NCL that for Napali they will circle the island so booking a room on either side will get the views, is that correct????

To see the volcano we need to book on the starboard side, is that correct or do they do a circle there as well??

Booking on the 9th floor so that there are rooms above and below so hopefully no noise. We are thinking about the aft area on either side. Not worried about walking distance just want a better room location that is quiet. I see that the aft area on the deck plan juts out just a bit maybe be better views??

Thanks in advance for all of your wonderful advice here.

Ok, this is what I have read and based my decision on; Port for looking at the volcano. You don't hear the narration as good as out on the deck areas, but you should be able to hear it on the TV. For the coast scenic float by it was the starboard, but the captain did turn the ship around and go past it again, but it is further out from the shoreline. I leave on my cruise in 35 days, so when I get back I will be able to comment from personal experience. Try posting on the Hawaii board, you might get some better information.

Ok, this is what I have read and based my decision on; Port for looking at the volcano. You don't hear the narration as good as out on the deck areas, but you should be able to hear it on the TV. For the coast scenic float by it was the starboard, but the captain did turn the ship around and go past it again, but it is further out from the shoreline. I leave on my cruise in 35 days, so when I get back I will be able to comment from personal experience. Try posting on the Hawaii board, you might get some better information.

Thanks for the info. I will post on the Hawaii board as well. Enjoy your trip and please report back on your experience.

Really depends on whether the volcano is flowing into the sea. We booked starboard several years ago, but the volcano wasn't flowing so we missed out on the Napali sail by from our balcony. It does turn around, but as noted is further out and seems to be going a bit quicker. It was also getting dark when we sailed in early Dec.

Don't forget the open top decks and any AFT stern points for viewing.

I don't think that the POA has any suitable Forward Bow viewing points.

The POA will make a U turn in front of the Napali coast so whether port

starboard or aft - plan on a wide angle lens on the first turn and

perhaps a telephoto on return leg. Be near the aft end during the turn

for interesting pictures of the wake on the U turn.

Regarding the Kilauea volcano depending on the activity of the eruption

will determine how close the viewing can get - telephoto lens opportunity

a must. While Kilauea is not known to spit and hurl lava - safety may

dictate passing way out to sea or foregoing it altogether ! Use care with

the wind blown ash and fumes - again if that poses a problem the cruise-by

may be skipped.

Binoculars are very helpful - use your photo mode on your cell phone and

then zoom in and/or enlarge the image.

ALOHA and you are Welcome !

I can definitely help you here, as we got off the POA on 12/31. We had 2 port side large balcony cabins. (B6- the large balconies were fabulous - 2 loungers, 2 chairs, a footrest, a small table!) The captain DID NOT turn the ship around so the starboard side could see the coastline. Only the port side got the viewing. We turned the tv up load and could hear the commentary from the balcony railing. As far as the lava goes - we went up to deck 10 and watched from there. There was plenty of room for everyone to watch on the open decks. I would not get a cabin on the starboard side just to view the lava. For us, it was slightly underwhelming! While pretty at night, we were pretty far away, and unless you had a really good camera would not even get a good picture.

I can definitely help you here, as we got off the POA on 12/31. We had 2 port side large balcony cabins. (B6- the large balconies were fabulous - 2 loungers, 2 chairs, a footrest, a small table!) The captain DID NOT turn the ship around so the starboard side could see the coastline. Only the port side got the viewing. We turned the tv up load and could hear the commentary from the balcony railing. As far as the lava goes - we went up to deck 10 and watched from there. There was plenty of room for everyone to watch on the open decks. I would not get a cabin on the starboard side just to view the lava. For us, it was slightly underwhelming! While pretty at night, we were pretty far away, and unless you had a really good camera would not even get a good picture.

Agree with the large balcony cabin. Agree with the port side for Napoli..

We did this two years ago, and there was no lava flow at the time.

The large balcony (port side) was very comfortable for four people to view the coastline.

This is backwards. It's starboard for the lava (if flowing) and port for the NaPali coast. Depending on the time of year and when you actually depart, the ship may not make to 2nd run for the NaPali coast, and it may be too dark to make out any details. The 2nd run will definitely be further away.

This is backwards. It's starboard for the lava (if flowing) and port for the NaPali coast. Depending on the time of year and when you actually depart, the ship may not make to 2nd run for the NaPali coast, and it may be too dark to make out any details. The 2nd run will definitely be further away.

That is why we only made one run down the coast - no turnaround. We had a beautiful sunset at around 6:30 pm. Would have been pitch black if we turned so the starboard side could have a viewing.

We booked an OV cabin for our upcoming POA cruise.

What is this narration you are all talking about on the TV? Can you hear it from other parts of the ship? If we wanted to go up to a top deck to see the coast line & hopefully the volcano will we be deprived of the narration?

I am trying to help my friends book a balcony room and I need some help here.

We are trying to decide on the port for Napali or starboard for the volcano.

I was told by NCL that for Napali they will circle the island so booking a room on either side will get the views, is that correct????

To see the volcano we need to book on the starboard side, is that correct or do they do a circle there as well??

Booking on the 9th floor so that there are rooms above and below so hopefully no noise. We are thinking about the aft area on either side. Not worried about walking distance just want a better room location that is quiet. I see that the aft area on the deck plan juts out just a bit maybe be better views??

Thanks in advance for all of your wonderful advice here.

Port side is best. There is no "circle the island" by the ship. After leaving port, the ship follows the coast line and then makes the turn around the "top" of the island and sails toward Na'Pali. You have a great view of the coastline the entire time. Spectacular close views of Na Pali as you sail by with the lowering sun shining on the cliff faces. At the end of the Na Pali, the ship turns and heads straight out to sea and then turns and heads back the way it came. By that time the view is so distant, possibly cloud covered and dark that it's a waste of time for anyone on Starboard.

I would never trade this hours long Na Pali "for sure" for the "possible" brief view of a dim red glow far off in the distance, "if" it is even flowing. If it is flowing, one can always walk on a public deck to one side of the ship and then the other to see the view from both sides.

Edited by punkincc

Don't forget the binoculars and/or telephoto camera lens.

Be flexible and prepared to move about the ship for that view.

YES Port side is/would be better for the NaPali !

As for the volcano starboard but you best be on a high deck and it is an iffy

proposition for Madam Pele to make an appearance of a noteworthy photo !

Overall if you can afford it a helicopter excursion ride is the best and remember the

weather plays a part in all this planning !

ALOHA !

THANKS to EVERYONE that has replied....I booked a port side room near the aft area on deck 9 for my friends......I Can't begin to to tell you all how much I appreciate your advice. As I am sure you know ,a Hawaii trip for most people is a once in a.lifetime trip and I want to do the best I can to help my friends get the best experience possible...Thanks.

THANKS to EVERYONE that has replied....I booked a port side room near the aft area on deck 9 for my friends......I Can't begin to to tell you all how much I appreciate your advice. As I am sure you know ,a Hawaii trip for most people is a once in a.lifetime trip and I want to do the best I can to help my friends get the best experience possible...Thanks.

Thanks so much for all the help

Edited by fedexretiree

What is this narration you are all talking about on the TV? Can you hear it from other parts of the ship? If we wanted to go up to a top deck to see the coast line & hopefully the volcano will we be deprived of the narration?

We opened our balcony door and turned the tv up as load as it went. The narration is piped out on the top decks also. There was no narration during the lava viewing.