Promos - past/current/future

welove2cruise2014

We cruised on the Dawn in Oct '13/'14/15.

2013 was our first cruise and I don't recall if we had any promos, *maybe* some OBC. I remember purchasing the UBP and I can't remember about dining or gratuities ( we booked about 45 days out).

2014 and 2015 we had UBP, 7 night UDP, and (either or both) OBC and gratuities included.

I see that lately the "pick 5" includes things that don't really interest us, like wi-fi, and that the UDP is now for like 3-4 nights on a 7 night cruise. Shore excursions may not be worth much to us either.

I realize that different people do put value on different perks... Just curious what others think of the seemingly diluted perks these days (IMO) and whether holding out for better/more inclusive perks is just silly at this point ;)

every now and then they have a sale where you get an on board credit in addition to the pick 5. i have 2 future cruises with this on board credit promo

and for those of us UK residents, everyone now gets 'all inclusive' which basically means UBP and speciality coffee after meals. (and an increase in cruise fare as a result)

There's the odd extra offer like 'save upto £200' or OBC with a latitudes offer but noted there seems to be less 'perks' for UK cruisers at the moment... hoping for a good offer soon for next September...

Nothing is free. I guess they could always jack the price and 'give' you more. Right now they are keeping competitive with other lines since the dominate inclusion is the beverage package that the entire industry has moved to.

When I get UBP, dinners, 2x Internet, 2 x shore excursion credits, free phone calls, OBC etc, on a comped cruise pre paid gratuities do not mean much to me. I gladly pay them.

You're right - it's all a matter of context! It's absolutely not that I mind paying them; in a suite for my husband and myself (and next time with our toddler) those daily gratuities add up and for us it's a nice extra perk.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

I booked a trans-pacific cruise on the Jewel with the pick two option, plus some stuff for being distinctive. Saw that they were offering all five for the same price and tested to see what the price would really be.

Taxes and fees went up like $4. Some special fee went up $335.52.

Well, now I know what the extra 2 items were worth....

I think as foolish as it sounds, perhaps for me/us it's more of perceived value and/or convenience. If we could book a cruise for ~ +/- what we've paid in the past and know that if we wanted to, we could dine in specialties all 7 nights if we so chose and it would be included (as an example), I would feel like I got good value. Also just knowing that when we get on the ship, all beverages, specialty meals, and grats were already included - that is the convenience factor.

Eta: with a toddler, we are probably not likely to dine in specialties every night anyway 😂😂😂

We cruised on the Dawn in Oct '13/'14/15.

2013 was our first cruise and I don't recall if we had any promos, *maybe* some OBC. I remember purchasing the UBP and I can't remember about dining or gratuities ( we booked about 45 days out).

2014 and 2015 we had UBP, 7 night UDP, and (either or both) OBC and gratuities included.

I see that lately the "pick 5" includes things that don't really interest us, like wi-fi, and that the UDP is now for like 3-4 nights on a 7 night cruise. Shore excursions may not be worth much to us either.

I realize that different people do put value on different perks... Just curious what others think of the seemingly diluted perks these days (IMO) and whether holding out for better/more inclusive perks is just silly at this point ;)

When NCL started giving perks cruise prices went up an average of about 25%. There is nothing free about them. I wish NCL would do away with all of them and lower the cruise prices.

You're right - it's all a matter of context! It's absolutely not that I mind paying them; in a suite for my husband and myself (and next time with our toddler) those daily gratuities add up and for us it's a nice extra perk.

On my upcoming cruise in 2 weeks, I got free gratuities, SDP for 3 meals, UBP, internet and $50 shore excursion credit, so I don't consider the promos to be diluted.

I understand but I look at the big picture, I just got off of a comped suite 2 weeks ago that I did have the prepaid gratuities on but I wound up switching them out when they added a dash sail and the value pack promo. I gave up $118.93 X 2 ($237.86) but gained $300 OBC, $100 OBC (latitude monthly) 10 photos, $50 Slot play, unlimited phone calls and extra 100 minutes internet. The stars just aligned with all the promos lining up at the same time and I found that to be a far better value then the tips. I do agree they are a nice promo but I also find value in all the other promos also so for me they are all interchangeable

I understand but I look at the big picture, I just got off of a comped suite 2 weeks ago that I did have the prepaid gratuities on but I wound up switching them out when they added a dash sail and the value pack promo. I gave up $118.93 X 2 ($237.86) but gained $300 OBC, $100 OBC (latitude monthly) 10 photos, $50 Slot play, unlimited phone calls and extra 100 minutes internet. The stars just aligned with all the promos lining up at the same time and I found that to be a far better value then the tips. I do agree they are a nice promo but I also find value in all the other promos also so for me they are all interchangeable

Ha! Those photos alone would be a worthwhile perk for sure. I always say I'm going to buy 1-2... and then end up with like $120 worth!