Parking in Miami?

mylifecompleted

Hey All!

Looking to book on the mariner today out of miami. anyone have any recommendations for affordable parking there?

Virtually all recommend parking at the cruise terminal for safety reasons.

Parking at POM is covered, convenient and secure, but costs $22/day.

Parking anywhere else is a crap shoot! It will likely not be covered, will not be as convenient, and for sure will not be as secure! :eek:

It's your car - do you feel lucky? :confused:

Having sailed out of there, I'd tell you that unless I was staying at a hotel with very secure parking, there is no way I'd park anywhere but the port.

For reference, this is the only port in FL that I feel this way about.

Parking anywhere else is a crap shoot! It will likely not be covered, will not be as convenient, and for sure will not be as secure! :eek:

The Garages are covered, the lots are not.

See map of POM

http://www.miamidade.gov/portmiami/cruise-terminals.asp

Having sailed out of there, I'd tell you that unless I was staying at a hotel with very secure parking, there is no way I'd park anywhere but the port.

For reference, this is the only port in FL that I feel this way about.

Agree, and I've never had issue Parking at Port of Miami...

We did a transatlantic to Copenhagen and a B2B with a post cruise land trip for 32 days a few years ago. No way was I paying $22 per day.

The Holiday Inn Express at the airport was safe and my car was in exactly the condition it was in when we left it.

We live in South Georgia, about 420 miles from Miami and have rented a car instead getting home (when the transatlantic ended in Miami). Cost was about $95. We flew to Europe from JAX so we didn't have an overnight there.

I suppose it depends on where you live. For people that can drive to the port the day of the cruise, why not rent a car?

Virtually all recommend parking at the cruise terminal for safety reasons.

We have never, ever had a problem parking offsite in Fort Lauderdale. Is there a difference...is there a safety issue in Miami not found in FLL? I’d love to know because our next 2 cruises are out of Miami and judging from the good experience, money saved, and courteous, prompt shuttle service to the port in Fort Lauderdale, we were going to try the same in Miami. Thanks for your advice!

We have never, ever had a problem parking offsite in Fort Lauderdale. Is there a difference...is there a safety issue in Miami not found in FLL? I’d love to know because our next 2 cruises are out of Miami and judging from the good experience, money saved, and courteous, prompt shuttle service to the port in Fort Lauderdale, we were going to try the same in Miami. Thanks for your advice!

Crime in Miami is very high.

Could you possibly park at one of the airport lots and uber over? Not sure how far the port is from the airport?

That would likely work, but MIA is $17./day...not enough difference in my mind. Uber is approx $21. each way. Eats up any saving.

FLL had a long term lot for $7.50/day but closed it down last year.

From Orlando I would seriously look into a rental car.

That would likely work, but MIA is $17./day...not enough difference in my mind. Uber is approx $21. each way. Eats up any saving.

FLL had a long term lot for $7.50/day but closed it down last year.

From Orlando I would seriously look into a rental car.

Same cost to rent a car as to park.

Same cost to rent a car as to park.

Interesting....assuming a 10 day cruise.....MIA parking would be $170.

Two one-way car rentals (Budget) would total $100.00. Maybe less if you use the 'name your own price' thing at Priceline.

Crime in Miami is very high.

No it is not. Miami is no more dangerous than most other cities/metros its size in the U.S. Also the crime is pretty compartmentalize.

Its not a safety issue per se. You are not going to get robbed at gun-point at the lot. Its just the lots around Port Miami have a bad reputation. They don't secure the lots well, the ones that make you leaves keys are heard (and been investigated on the news) of driving your cars, the shuttles suck, and the lots are usually in the not the best areas since land in Miami and parking in Miami is pretty expensive.

Parking at the port is so easy too. Its great parking there. But for longer trips it may make sense to find a lot. The best are usually farther away from the port at hotels that offer parking with a stay. There are plenty of safe places to leave your car. My cars are left in a garage in the middle of downtown Miami. The garage is not secured at all. Its fine.