Traditional dining waitlist

Papa Hooks

We’re on the Ruby in 9 1/2 weeks to Alaska. We will be with two other couples, so we have requested a table for six at traditional dining. We’re on a waitlist, but our itinerary has our dining as confirmed. We went as high as #121 on the waitlist, but have fallen to #135.

Any ideas as to how this will play out? Will we get our table? Will we be bumped to anytime?

Don’t worry about it. Once you board, the Maitre D’ will be available the afternoon of embarkation day to take dining requests and changes. The time and place is usually posted in the Patter but if you don’t see it, call Room Service or the Passenger Services Desk.

The Maitre d’ will accommodate your request. Just have whomever goes that they have everyone’s names and cabin #’s.

People change all the time from Traditional to Anytime, Anytime to Traditional, etc. It’s not a biggie.

Don’t worry about it. Once you board, the Maitre D’ will be available the afternoon of embarkation day to take dining requests and changes. The time and place is usually posted in the Patter but if you don’t see it, call Room Service or the Passenger Services Desk.

The Maitre d’ will accommodate your request. Just have whomever goes that they have everyone’s names and cabin #’s.

People change all the time from Traditional to Anytime, Anytime to Traditional, etc. It’s not a biggie.

Thx. This will help calm some nerves. 👍

We’re on a waitlist, but our itinerary has our dining as confirmed. We went as high as #121 on the waitlist, but have fallen to #135.

If the Booking Summary page of your Cruise Personalizer reads "#:## dining is confirmed" then you are confirmed. The numbers you see when you go to the 'Dining Preferences' section of the personalizer are what the position on the waitlist is for someone who is not confirmed requesting a change to that time.

If the Booking Summary page of your Cruise Personalizer reads "#:## dining is confirmed" then you are confirmed. The numbers you see when you go to the 'Dining Preferences' section of the personalizer are what the position on the waitlist is for someone who is not confirmed requesting a change to that time.

Well... Almost true. I have many times had it say "6:00 PM Dining Requested" along with "6:00 PM Dining Confirmed". Every time I ended up with 5:30 PM dining when I boarded. Yes, the table for TD was confirmed but they lied every dang time regarding the time.

Well... Almost true. I have many times had it say "6:00 PM Dining Requested" along with "6:00 PM Dining Confirmed". Every time I ended up with 5:30 PM dining when I boarded. Yes, the table for TD was confirmed but they lied every dang time regarding the time.

5:30 or 6:00...I don’t care. As long as I get to eat and with my friends, but I hear ya on this. All of this information has been great and has calmed some nerves tonight.

I really appreciate the information that explains why in one place it says confirmed, and then on the next page shows a waitlist number - thanks so much for clearing that up.

I am going to tag on another question however. We are confirmed on a Coral Alaska for TD at 5:45. ( if it ends up being 6 or 5:30, we don't really care)

However, if we know we cannot make that one evening, can we "do" anytime? Do we have to call - as I understand anytime does not mean just show up anytime, but that a reservation must be made? If I cannot do Anytime since I am confirmed and wish to keep TD overall, does that mean that I cannot dine in a MDR unless I use my traditional time?

Thanks!!

We’re on the Ruby in 9 1/2 weeks to Alaska. We will be with two other couples, so we have requested a table for six at traditional dining. We’re on a waitlist, but our itinerary has our dining as confirmed. We went as high as #121 on the waitlist, but have fallen to #135.

Any ideas as to how this will play out? Will we get our table? Will we be bumped to anytime?

Good question....I reserved our August 2018 Ruby "Traditional Dining" back in July of 2017. At that time - we were listed as Waitlist #1 Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago - we were Waitlist #88...My question at the time was "How the hell does that happen?" I mean - we were number one - how the hell did 87 people jump in front of us?

I cancelled Traditional Dining and went with Anytime Dining.....I still don't understand THAT policy...

Good question....I reserved our August 2018 Ruby "Traditional Dining" back in July of 2017. At that time - we were listed as Waitlist #1 Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago - we were Waitlist #88...My question at the time was "How the hell does that happen?" I mean - we were number one - how the hell did 87 people jump in front of us?

I cancelled Traditional Dining and went with Anytime Dining.....I still don't understand THAT policy...

Was completely unnecessary to change. Again, the number 88 was not your place in line but the place that someone just joining the wait list that day would be assigned. If you were next on the list thirteen months out from your cruise you almost certainly would have been assigned traditional by the time you board, or else would have no problem switching if you ask the Maitre d' during their hours the first day.

However, if we know we cannot make that one evening, can we "do" anytime? Do we have to call - as I understand anytime does not mean just show up anytime, but that a reservation must be made? If I cannot do Anytime since I am confirmed and wish to keep TD overall, does that mean that I cannot dine in a MDR unless I use my traditional time?

That's what it's supposed to mean. However, some will switch. If there's a person at the door to ATD checking cards for your assigned MDR, they might turn you away.

If you're going to miss your assigned time and know ahead of time, be sure to let your waiter know.

BTW: We were assigned a table for 6 on our most recent cruise (requested a 4 top due to my inability to take part in conversations with too many people at the table - hearing loss). We were shown to the table and refused it. Went to the head waiter or Maitré D' (don't recall which), he checked the seating charts and gave us a reservation for a table for 2 in the ATD dining room. Very nice.

Thanks!!

If you wish to use the Anytime Dining room the official policy is that you would relinquish your table in fixed seating for the remainder of the cruise:

Once onboard and subject to availability, you may attempt to switch preferences with 24 hours notice to the Maitre D’. We will do our best to accommodate your preference.

(from the dining FAQs)

Princess policy used to directly state than only one switch per cruise could be made. However, if you see the Maitre d' personally and ask for a one-time exception it is usually granted, especially on a late port day. You cannot call for a reservation in ATD if you are enrolled in Traditional Dining, the system will not recognize you.

We’re on the Ruby in 9 1/2 weeks to Alaska. We will be with two other couples, so we have requested a table for six at traditional dining.

Just to be sure, is your booking linked to the bookings for the two other couples for the purpose of dining? If not have Princess (via your TA if you used a TA) link the three bookings so that you will be assigned to the same table.

Also be aware that the time given for your confirmed early seating on your reservation is only a placeholder for your early seating.

Princess will make sure that everyone who requested early seating will be in an early seating. To do this, another MDR that will also be used for anytime dining is changed to an early traditional seating. The start time for that seating will vary (usually earlier ) that the time given on your reservation.

I like the Princess system. I know that I will be in my requested early seating and will not be told that I have been shut out and forced into anytime. I do not consider the earlier time to be a "lie" or a problem.

Also be aware that the time given for your confirmed early seating on your reservation is only a placeholder for your early seating.

Princess will make sure that everyone who requested early seating will be in an early seating. To do this, another MDR that will also be used for anytime dining is changed to an early traditional seating. The start time for that seating will vary (usually earlier ) that the time given on your reservation.

I like the Princess system. I know that I will be in my requested early seating and will not be told that I have been shut out and forced into anytime. I do not consider the earlier time to be a "lie" or a problem.

I consider it to be both a lie and a problem. Princess offers a 5:30 early dining seating and a traditional 6pm first seating. We are always confirmed for 6pm first seating, and in the last 3 years or so we only had a 6pm dining time once. All of the other times the time was either 5:30 or 5:45. Why confirm 6pm if it isn't going to be 6pm? No one can ever answer who makes the decision; the maitre d' blames corporate, and corporate blames the maitre d'..