Dinner Jackets for gala nights

Alan & Lyn

Europe seems to be more casual...probably because of luggage restrictions on the connecting airways.

The Caribbean is a mixed bag...you see everything. I have to say that on my Divina cruise in October I received more compliments than I could count by wearing my tux. The staff really appreciated the effort...and they let me know.

There really is no pressure to dress formally...it is up to you. My own philosophy is that if the staff makes the effort then so will I. I think it adds a nice touch to the evening.

Europe seems to be more casual...probably because of luggage restrictions on the connecting airways.

Actually, a lot of MSC guests in Europe don't have any flight restrictions as many of them embark in ports in their home country. Italians can board at Genoa, Naples, Civitavecchia. Germans often drive/bus/train to board at Genoa. Spanish board in Barcelona and French at Marseilles. Most MSC western Med cruises call to all these ports which are on the itinerary picking up guests along the way that haven't arrived to the embarkation port from airports.

I know that MSC suggest dinner jackets on gala nights but do many men bother.?

Any recent experience please.

Thanks

I will first say that I have not YET sailed on MSC so this opinion is solely my own...the fact that the cruise line publishes a dress code suggests that they would appreciate their passengers to adhere to it. Also the fact that you even what a dinner jacket is suggests that you might own one so why not take the opportunity to wear it and look wonderfully appropriate even if everyone else is dressed down?

I realize I might be in the minority as one who actually likes dressing for dinner...every night of my cruise. I dress casually the rest of the year, my cruise vacations are special and I appreciate the opportunity to dress up.

I’m sure you will see everything from tuxedos to flip flops, so you do you...as they say. Enjoy your cruise!

My experience is almost all on a different cruise line which reportedly prior to my experience in the last few years was more inflexible on the formal wear. Not sure how it will apply to MSC but guessing fairly well since it did hold well in the Caribbean to at least one other line.

Did a TA sailing from Southampton. LOADS of very formally attired guests on formal night. Reportedly they ran out of appointments with them hair stylist to get your hair done up on both formal days the first day on the ship. There were a few and not all Americans in slacks, dress shirt, and tie which was the most dressed down we saw. Rumbles of cowboys in a different dinner seating in pressed and creased jeans, expensive cowboy boots, shirts, and hats.

Sailed in the Caribbean 3 times on two different lines. Much more mixed bag.

The average was more middling around slacks, tie, and dress shirt for the men and a lot of pretty print maxi dresses with nice accessories on the ladies. Still plenty of men in dinner jackets or tuxes and quite a lot in suits. Over all the women came off quite well with mostly only those with men in suits or tuxes in full formal regalia.

I wore either a matching black chiffon jacket and palazzo pants with glittery trim on the jacket matching a glittery tank or a patterned floor length gown with heels and my spouse wore a suit at formal nights. We felt very comfortable. Reports are this would be accepted on other MSC Caribbean sailings so I think we will probably continue. We'd happily rent a tux from the ship just ot have less to pack. but my spouse is very much a big and tall guy at over six foot six. We've never had much luck with renting dress wear for him.

Honestly I'm more concerned with the Opera nights in the theater. Probably ridiculous and silly but in my head I just somehow much more feel out of respect for the performances we should dress formally for something like that. Or just too much TV maybe? I've ordered a new dress just for it but the spouse is still sticking with his trusty gray suit. Tried to talk him into a dinner jacket that would go well with his gray suit pants but can't seem to get him to bite. He is so happy to have a suit that fits so well I think he just wants to keep wearing that.

I enjoy formal nights, and will probably be there in my kilt and Regulation Doublet. Not formal, just black tie. Sometimes white dinner jacket, which is equivalent to a tux when in the Caribbean. It's the least I can do when milady is so beautiful in her evening attire.

Kilts are always considered appropriate on formal night...and the more accessories the better!

Many people are not familiar with the traditions of appropriate formal wear. An off-white dinner jacket is always appropriate in a tropical or warm weather climate. In the USA the rule of thumb is that the dinner jacket is worn between the end of May and the first week of September.

(A pure white dinner jacket is more often associated with a wedding.). Otherwise you wear a black tuxedo at any other time. Accessorizing with colorful vests, ties and handkerchiefs is perfectly appropriate on cruises.

Honestly I'm more concerned with the Opera nights in the theater. Probably ridiculous and silly but in my head I just somehow much more feel out of respect for the performances we should dress formally for something like that. Or just too much TV maybe? I've ordered a new dress just for it but the spouse is still sticking with his trusty gray suit. Tried to talk him into a dinner jacket that would go well with his gray suit pants but can't seem to get him to bite. He is so happy to have a suit that fits so well I think he just wants to keep wearing that.

Don't count on too much for this opera night. Normally, very few people show up compare to regular shows. People do not dress up for this either.

Did a TA sailing from Southampton. LOADS of very formally attired guests on formal night. Reportedly they ran out of appointments with them hair stylist to get your hair done up on both formal days the first day on the ship. There were a few and not all Americans in slacks, dress shirt, and tie which was the most dressed down we saw. Rumbles of cowboys in a different dinner seating in pressed and creased jeans, expensive cowboy boots, shirts, and hats.

The clue is in your answer; you set sail from Southampton UK. The brits are perhaps the most likely to wear formal DJs on formal nights.

I always do, just because I feel it's the British way.

Pete

Kilts are always considered appropriate on formal night...and the more accessories the better!

Many people are not familiar with the traditions of appropriate formal wear. An off-white dinner jacket is always appropriate in a tropical or warm weather climate. In the USA the rule of thumb is that the dinner jacket is worn between the end of May and the first week of September.

(A pure white dinner jacket is more often associated with a wedding.). Otherwise you wear a black tuxedo at any other time. Accessorizing with colorful vests, ties and handkerchiefs is perfectly appropriate on cruises.

I would say that a dinner jacket is never worn with a "colourful vest" ( a waistcoat I presume is what you mean) but rather a cummerbund can be worn. A dress shirt is the much better form with or without a cummerbund, A pair of good cufflinks is a must.

Colourful bow ties and pocket handkerchiefs are much better for putting a personal stamp on the attire.

Pete

Waistcoats or vests, depending which side of the Atlantic you live on. I beg to differ but some of the top designers make fancy vests for dinner jackets and they come with matching bow ties. Granted, you would not wear this to a formal ball but very appropriate for a cruise. Cumberbunds come in all different colors. As an example, Harvard University eve has cummerbund and tie sets in their colors of crimson and silver. A dress shirt is de rigeur with a tux or a dinner jacket as are sets of cuff links and stud sets for the shirt buttons...accessories. However, I have seen collarless dress shirts topped with a jeweled button cover used with tuxes and this is also appropriate for a cruise. When on a cruise, the more avant-guard the better...formal dress for fun! I think it was Woody Allen who appeared in one of his movies in a tux with sneakers and I say WHY NOT?? Dress up and have fun!

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE

Actually, a lot of MSC guests in Europe don't have any flight restrictions as many of them embark in ports in their home country. Italians can board at Genoa, Naples, Civitavecchia. Germans often drive/bus/train to board at Genoa. Spanish board in Barcelona and French at Marseilles.

Still many fly with Ryanair and Easyjet and have big luggage restrictions.

We tend to just wear smart lounge suits; I have an Italian designer 3 piece which personally I feel is a better investment than a Matalan or Primark penguin suit, although I do have such attire for occasions like the hunt ball.

We feel comfortable in what we wear and when sailing in the Med the DJ tends to be in the minority, but as others have said it really is personal choice. The way I describe elegant night on MSC is that it is as formal and as dressy as you want to go

I know that MSC suggest dinner jackets on gala nights but do many men bother.?

Any recent experience please.

Thanks

I wore a 2 piece business suit, for gala nights. This appeared the most popular option. But as long as you have at least a shirt and tie (like my son) you'll be fine. I saw someone in shorts and t-shirt denied entry to the dining room. And a reviewer complained she was refused entry because she had a swim suit on.