Aft Rooms above Employee Deck

kandj05

My DH and I have aft room 8692 on the Navigator. I read on someone's post that they could easily hear the employees talking on their deck. Is this true on all aft rooms? We like to sleep with our door open so I would prefer not to be hearing late night conversations. If you have stayed in an aft room, would you please chime in and give me your 2 cents?

Thanks!

Jackie

We've been on deck 8 on the Navigator. We saw the employees below us, but I don't remember hearing their conversations. Plus, you're many decks above them when you're on deck 8. I think the issues would be more from other passengers closer to you out in the wee hours of the morning.

I can not imagine that being the case. I have sailed aft on Vision class ships and not heard a thing and they are much smaller.

Here is a pic of the Navigator aft cabins from another thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42587464&postcount=17

Lucky you.:) We were on Rhapsody and could hear crew parties loud and clear in the wee hours. We had to call down to Guest Services to ask them to turn the music down (we offered to join the party, but they wouldn't let us). I haven't stayed in an aft cabin on Voyager and larger class, so don't know. On Radiance class it's never been a problem.

We had an aft balcony in July for a Mediterranean cruise. We loved it, but you could hear the crew at times if they were joking or kidding around late at night. It wasn't too often, and would probably not keep me from getting an aft balcony again.

What DID really bother us, is that there were employees of some sort out there nearly around the clocking and they were all smoking. We smelled smoke on our balcony a good 75% of the time, which we hate. We were excited that Royal Caribbean has "smoke free" balconies for guests, but didn't factor in that the crew could smoke right by our balcony. That definitely dimmed our enjoyment level for the balcony overall, since we are non-smokers.

Either way, the aft rooms are lovely and if you can put up with these two things in moderation, then I wouldn't let it keep you from the room. Good luck!

Love aft staterooms and have stayed in them on numerous ships.

Usually have been on deck 8 or higher and never really noticed a lot of noise. One specific cruise there was a pretty noisy party, but our waiter forewarned us as it was for his birthday! Even then they were pretty quiet by 1:30 a.m.

One noise we did notice but it was in the afternoon (think nap time!) and that was basketball. Not voices, just the bump-bump-bump-clang - anyone with kids or neighbors with a hoop on their driveway will know what I mean. I think there is a hoop out there - not sure what ship that was but one of the Voyager or Independence class.

I've been in an aft cabin on Serenade with no problems. However on Explorer I was a different story! We always opt for deck 7 aft as we like the sliding door as opposed to a single door. We can hear the cooks banging pots and pans and hear them laughing and partying after dinner. That's been bearable , but it's the smoking that we can't tolerate and we have to therefore keep the doors closed.

To me these are minor inconveniences just to have an aft balcony!!!

On voyager class the crew area is on deck 5 and has an extended roof over it (if you look at pics and see the grey area extending out beyond the 'balconies' on deck six, that is the roof.

We have been in the corner aft on ExOS and never heard anything at all. I did occasionally see staffers at the rail smoking cigarettes, but never smelled the actual smoke. We have also been on deck 9 corner aft on AOS and report the same results.

Word of Warning - once you go aft, you never go back (that is unless you can't find one to book, then you sacrifice and go hump:p).

Lucky you.:) We were on Rhapsody and could hear crew parties loud and clear in the wee hours. We had to call down to Guest Services to ask them to turn the music down (we offered to join the party, but they wouldn't let us). I haven't stayed in an aft cabin on Voyager and larger class, so don't know. On Radiance class it's never been a problem.

I had the same experience as you. Had an aft junior suite in 2007 on Enchantment (Vision class) and the music from the crew area blasted until 4:00 am each night. Even the sound of the wake could not block it out. Sailed the Enchantment 6 years later and walked to the aft promenade at about 1:00 am. Same thumping of music from the crew area.

Word of Warning - once you go aft, you never go back (that is unless you can't find one to book, then you sacrifice and go hump:p).

Karen, LOL ON YOUR WARNING!!!!!!

I couldn't get an aft this time and went for a hump! I've never had a hump before, why am I going to like it better than a regular side cabin?

Cheryl

One Explorer cruise we were on deck 7 and there were a few crew laughing and carrying on.... normally I couldnt care less, but it was 3 am. One call to guest services and the laughter stopped in 1 minute.

Had the same experience on Freedom when we stayed in an aft corner. Noise from the crew deck kept us awake until 3:00AM. Two phone calls to guest services solved the problem and it never happened again during the cruise.

Hump cabins often have bigger or odd shaped balconies, plus it is nice to see more because of the way they extend out. Still prefer the aft!

Long walk to the Aft? I look at that as my daily exercise! :D

PMcC1998 beat me to it - humps offer great views (especially if you can snag the center hump;)

And I look at the walk as my dessert earner:p

We had a deck 7 corner aft on Navigator for two weeks. We occasionally heard voices from the crew but never much music. The cigarette smoke was bothersome a few times so we simply went indoors. It couldn't have been too bothersome as we have a corner aft booked on Jewel (Deck 8) for 2 week in Oct. and Nov. this year. Wish it were sooner, but it gives us lots of time to plan and anticipate!

We had a deck 7 corner aft on Navigator for two weeks. We occasionally heard voices from the crew but never much music. The cigarette smoke was bothersome a few times so we simply went indoors. It couldn't have been too bothersome as we have a corner aft booked on Jewel (Deck 8) for 2 week in Oct. and Nov. this year. Wish it were sooner, but it gives us lots of time to plan and anticipate!

Jewel is like the Serenade, there is no employee area below like on Ex and Navi!

I love Radiance Class Afts!

Jewel is like the Serenade, there is no employee area below like on Ex and Navi!

I love Radiance Class Afts!

Thanks, counsdr! That's so good to know. It will be a port intensive two weeks so we look forward to some relaxing time on the balcony in the afternoons and evenings.

Oh crud..

we just booked a Freedom of The Seas and chose deck 7, Aft. Balcony room.

No clue if that was good or bad when we booked. :D

Aft balconys are the very best! You won't regret it! I don't know if the employees party under the Afts on Freedom class.

Aft balconys are the very best! You won't regret it! I don't know if the employees party under the Afts on Freedom class.

thanks, but now I have no clue what I booked. :D I looked at pictures and aft is the back of the ship? That's not what we have, it's towards the back, but not exactly the back.

It was described as "aft" when I booked it. I knew I wanted a balcony and I knew I did not want forward.

Whatever, we'll be happy! :p