Formal nights in Alaska

krazy4kruisin

I really don't care what anyone wears and it means nothing to me who gets seated wearing what but it does matter to me that someone knowingly books something they don't wish to participate in and then gets angry about possibly not being seated.

I don't care about what other people are wearing either. I have an issue that the men can't wear a nice shirt, tie and pants and get in but a woman can wear a shirt and skirt, dressy tank and skirt, shirt and dress capris, dress (of pretty much most styles that aren't a cover up). Like as long as a woman isn't in shorts they get in but the males have to have a jacket? Just seems unnecessary to lug a jacket on a 16 day adventure for 4 hours of the vacation and one of them have to buy one.

This means when I travel I have no prob, if on our first cruise (well dads and bros) they couldn't eat in the dining room for no jacket they would never go with HAL again. It's not a "threat" as someone called it, I just know it.

Edited by kqcallahan

I don't care about what other people are wearing either. I have an issue that the men can't wear a nice shirt, tie and pants and get in but a woman can wear a shirt and skirt, dressy tank and skirt, shirt and dress capris, dress (of pretty much most styles that aren't a cover up). Like as long as a woman isn't in shorts they get in but the males have to have a jacket? Just seems unnecessary to lug a jacket on a 16 day adventure for 4 hours of the vacation and one of them have to buy one.

This means when I travel I have no prob, if on our first cruise (well dads and bros) they couldn't eat in the dining room for no jacket they would never go with HAL again. It's not a "threat" as someone called it, I just know it.

I think what confuses most of us is why anyone would go on HAL in the first place, if they know that wearing a jacket is expected of them in the MDR. Why bother going the first time and being upset and then deciding not to go on HAL the second time. And wearing a jacket on the plane (and having it hung up during the flight) and hanging it in the closet of the ship when not being worn hardly constitutes "lugging" a jacket around.

And wearing a jacket on the plane (and having it hung up during the flight) and hanging it in the closet of the ship when not being worn hardly constitutes "lugging" a jacket around.

I've not become as stuck to a line and have gone on a few. Guess I didn't think of the jacket thing at the time of booking. I was worried about all the other things I enjoyed with HAL.

And it seems many have to come with terms that it's an opinion. Telling someone what they think is wrong when it's their opinion and they are doing it kind of doesn't work that way :) To ME when we have a rental car for 5 days after, so we can only bring 2 checked luggage between the 4 of us (since with carry-ons this is all that will fit in the trunk) every bit of extra is lugging. We have connected rooms just so we don't have to bring an extra straightener (which trust me people will appreciate seeing more as more hair would be wild) and so on.

I've not become as stuck to a line and have gone on a few. Guess I didn't think of the jacket thing at the time of booking. I was worried about all the other things I enjoyed with HAL.

And it seems many have to come with terms that it's an opinion. Telling someone what they think is wrong when it's their opinion and they are doing it kind of doesn't work that way :) To ME when we have a rental car for 5 days after, so we can only bring 2 checked luggage between the 4 of us (since with carry-ons this is all that will fit in the trunk) every bit of extra is lugging. We have connected rooms just so we don't have to bring an extra straightener (which trust me people will appreciate seeing more as more hair would be wild) and so on.

No problem. You are absolutely right in the fact that one can decide how they wish to travel and what is important to them. If one decides that not lugging a jacket (or anything else for that matter) is important, then they certainly have the right to decide to dine in the Lido, instead.

The only difficulty is when one decides that something that is important to them conflicts with suggested guidelines that a crew member is expected to enforce and the crew member (and other passengers) should bend to what the passenger has decided to ignore. I doubt that you are proposing doing this, so I apologize in advance! :)

<snip>

I'm trying to understand this. :)

You are suggesting the ladies should be required to wear jacket and ties? :D

You want HAL to define dress vs. skirt vs. evening pants vs. long skirt vs. beaded top vs. silky top vs. high heels vs. low heels vs. ...... fill in the blank.

Women (often) do not dress as men though I do realize some do.

[/b]

DH decided not to take his TUX to Alaska but wore a dark suit with tie for both formal nights..

I wore a long black skirt with a formal Alex Slver/Blck Shell w/matching Jacket for one formal night & on the second formal night wore a black shell with a black formal jacket & the same skirt..

I totally understand why some people just don't want to dress up. I think that is a totally personal calll for each individual. What I don't understand is why so many people think that the rules should be different for them. If you don't want to dress according to the guidelines that are laid out and available to everyone BEFORE spending a dime on a HAL cruise and there are so many options for you even if you choose to book anyway (Lido, order room service) why complain or say you won't travel with HAL again if you decide (after ALL that knowledge) because they don't bend the rules for you?? I read these threads and iit still floors me at the number of people that complain about this! If you don't want to dress up, eat somewhere else, cruise with someone else.....but don't try to change the system. It's only one or two nights (depending on the cruise length). It's not like someone is trying to kick people out of the MDR every night of the cruise. I see so many people on here say, "on formal nights, we choose to eat in the Lido". That's reasonable. If you want what is on the menu in the MDR, order room service and have a lovely meal in your room. But why, on your vacation, would you buck the system and set yourself up to get upset, after spending all that money, just to see if you can?? I just don't understand. I spend hours trying to plan my vacation time to be relaxing (excepting the occasional uncontrolable glitch that I am determined to let roll off my back). Why go in expecting a battle??? Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now......

Tanya

Tanya, if we've decided to skip the formal nights, how do we go about ordering room service from the MDR menu? Do they allow you to do that? I don't want to miss what's being served in the MDR as I don't particularly care for the Lido. Do I need to call and order room service at a certain time when ordering from the MDR menu? We're skipping the formal nights because it's an Alaskan cruise and I'm finding cold weather clothing is taking up far too much space in my suitcase :) Also, we can dress up and go out anytime at home.

Thanks for the information.

We have an eleven day land tour before boarding the ship for 4 nights. I not drag a sports coat around Alaska to wear 1 night. I will go to formal night in a nice pair of slacks and shirt, and if no one stops my entry, I will enjoy my dinner. My question is will that ruin anyone's dinner. So much is written on this and it's getting real old.

We have an eleven day land tour before boarding the ship for 4 nights. I not drag a sports coat around Alaska to wear 1 night. I will go to formal night in a nice pair of slacks and shirt, and if no one stops my entry, I will enjoy my dinner. My question is will that ruin anyone's dinner. So much is written on this and it's getting real old.

Trust me you will be just fine and no one will be turning you away.Those ships that do Alaska with many passengers only doing partial cruise portions know that many of the passengers are there because of the Land Tours. 99% of those that do the Longer Land Tours DO NOT bring any type of Formal wear. This is just one of the many reasons why Alaska cruises are far less formal. Don't let those that still believe that Formal Nights MUST be a Tuxes and gowns. HAL would much rather accommodate those that spent money for their Land Portion than those that got the last minute $599 special for cruise only :)

Tanya, if we've decided to skip the formal nights, how do we go about ordering room service from the MDR menu? Do they allow you to do that? I don't want to miss what's being served in the MDR as I don't particularly care for the Lido. Do I need to call and order room service at a certain time when ordering from the MDR menu? We're skipping the formal nights because it's an Alaskan cruise and I'm finding cold weather clothing is taking up far too much space in my suitcase :) Also, we can dress up and go out anytime at home.

Thanks for the information.

Deb,

In case you missed it, here is Crew News' response to your question on the other Alaska Formal Night Thread:

"The food is similar in the Lido Restaurant on Formal Nights. You will not find lobster tail in the Lido.

You can order the same meal served in the MDR to be served in your room by calling Room Service during the regular dinner hours in the MDR. Just let them know when you want it delivered. There is no limit to what you want (three appetizers, four soups, three desserts, two entrees). We have done that in the past and ordered two lobster tails and no filet mignon for each of us.

If you are in a Neptune Suite, you may order through the Concierge at any time for delivery at a time of your choosing."

Hope this helps.

Smooth sailing,

Rod

No - what is getting old is the "I will wear what I want to wear despite the pre-stated advisory".

Would you complain if the cruise line served wine out of paper cups? Would food taste the same off of paper plates? Why have centerpieces on the table in the dining room?

A room filled with people in slacks and a tee shirt will not be the same experience for the those dining as one filled with men and women dressed in finery. It is not the same and it is not what I paid for.

No - what is getting old is the "I will wear what I want to wear despite the pre-stated advisory".

Would you complain if the cruise line served wine out of paper cups? Would food taste the same off of paper plates? Why have centerpieces on the table in the dining room?

A room filled with people in slacks and a tee shirt will not be the same experience for the those dining as one filled with men and women dressed in finery. It is not the same and it is not what I paid for.

Very well put, JPH814! I really don't care what my fellow cruisers wear as long as it doesn't interfere with my right to enjoy the scheduled cruise activities in the suggested attire. After all, I paid for the right to enjoy the "formal night" dinners surrounded by like-minded (and similarly attired) folks. If rjrpar and other passengers do not want to "dress up", they are free to enjoy the same meal at the Lido or in their rooms, dressed however they choose.

Smooth sailing,

Rod

Trust me you will be just fine and no one will be turning you away.Those ships that do Alaska with many passengers only doing partial cruise portions know that many of the passengers are there because of the Land Tours. 99% of those that do the Longer Land Tours DO NOT bring any type of Formal wear. This is just one of the many reasons why Alaska cruises are far less formal. Don't let those that still believe that Formal Nights MUST be a Tuxes and gowns. HAL would much rather accommodate those that spent money for their Land Portion than those that got the last minute $599 special for cruise only :)

I guess if you feel comfortable dressing like that ! just do it.! Me and my family like to dress up some time. I do wear a tux and wife and others dress up. By the way ,I did not spend $599 for the cruise, I spent about $25,000 for seven staying in Neptune suites so I think HAL does not mind accommodating us.LOL :):)