young boy's aged 11 and 16 smart shorts mdr

Can children wear smart shorts in main dining room? sailing sos in July.

Our nephews have sailed with us a couple of times aged from 11 to 15 and have worn smart shorts all the time except for formal night when they wore long pants.They would wear a button through shirt each time and just rotated 3 during the cruise.We last sailed with them in January this year with Royal and had no problems.

Not that you asked,:p but in my book a 16 year old is no longer a young boy. He's two years away from being an adult. The clothing guidelines are not broken down by age anyway, so it's up to your family whether you choose to stick to the guidelines or disregard them.

My teenage boys like the style now of the pastel shorts and gingham or oxford shirts. It's a nice dressy look which would be nice for casual nights on a cruise ship. And, honestly, the staff would not turn away a teen or child wearing such a look, now people on cruise critic......:eek: They both go to prep school, and they are even allowed to wear it there as part as their dress code, as long as it's not formal day in which a blazer is required. So they do understand and are made to dress appropriately when the situation warrants.

not that you asked,:p but in my book a 16 year old is no longer a young boy. He's two years away from being an adult. The clothing guidelines are not broken down by age anyway, so it's up to your family whether you choose to stick to the guidelines or disregard them.

+1 :)

Not that you asked,:p but in my book a 16 year old is no longer a young boy. He's two years away from being an adult. The clothing guidelines are not broken down by age anyway, so it's up to your family whether you choose to stick to the guidelines or disregard them.

No issue with a 6yr old looking clean, neat and tidy (for a 6yr old) but a 16 yr old is a young gentleman and it's time to act the part. There is a time and a place and my 16 yr old grandson is 6ft tall and every bit as big as a man. Time to wear what we call at our house "young gentlemen" clothes. JMHO

+ 2 :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

I have to agree with a few other posters on here. CAN they wear shorts? Yes, if you chose not to follow the suggested dress code. So the question is really "should we follow the guidelines?", and that's just up to you. I have three kids and we always have them follow the dress code along with us. Regular pants are only a few inches longer than nice shorts and no less comfortable. I just like that they're starting to learn that in certain circumstances, it's a good idea to follow what's suggested. But again, they won't get turned away if they're in shorts.

Last year we took our 10 DD and 16 DS on their first cruise. Both were dressed as the code suggests. My daughter wore dresses. My son wore dress pants and shirts.

Teaching them how to dress and act at dinner is all part of growing up. No matter what the age. Was there extra cost to me to provide the clothing? Yes, but I considered that part of the expense of the trip.

+3 :)

Last year we took our 10 DD and 16 DS on their first cruise. Both were dressed as the code suggests. My daughter wore dresses. My son wore dress pants and shirts.

Teaching them how to dress and act at dinner is all part of growing up. No matter what the age. Was there extra cost to me to provide the clothing? Yes, but I considered that part of the expense of the trip.

Responsible parenting, for the win!

Additionally, I'd like to add that you can buy pants that the bottoms zip off into shorts. The boys can wear these and remove the bottoms after dinner, or wear long pants and go back to the cabin to change after dinner if they want. They certainly don't have to be in long pants for the entire night. Just a suggestion. :)

Thank you!! :)These are children who will grow up knowing how to be comfortable and appropriate in all social situations.

A 16 year old already has a drivers license - hardly a child at all.

I believe that the 16 yr old could pack a pair or 2 of light weight "Docker" style Chinos...no need for dress pants just chinos and a nice shirt. His little brother can dress like the a 6 yr old cutie!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Can children wear smart shorts in main dining room? sailing sos in July.

LOL 😂 Okay, I must ask, how do you know if their shorts are smart or not? Is there some kind of IQ test for shorts that can be administered, or what? :D

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

LOL Okay, I must ask, how do you know if their shorts are smart or not? Is there some kind of IQ test for shorts that can be administered, or what? :D

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

"smart shorts" means someone is trying to up-talk shorts and make them sound classy.